HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why bring Kalinin back?

Old
02-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Nick00

vCash: 500
Why bring Kalinin back?

Reitz has looked pretty solid so far.
He's able to handle the puck decently, doesn't take stupid penalties and provides much needed grit on the blueline.
Waive Kalinin (not like he has any real trade value) and his 2.1 million cap hit to make room for Avery.
Then for the 7th defenseman, bring up Potter (much cheaper) who from what I'm hearing has played very well in the AHL lately.
Yes? No?

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 12:10 AM
gravytrain6t

I think Reitz > Kalinen as far as strictly defense and he can at least check which is a plus. Kalinen seemed to be getting better before he was injured. I would let Potter finish the year in Hartford and keep Kalinen. Who knows when Avery is going to play? Sunday's game would have been perfect against the Flyers.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I feel like Reitz is the kind of defenseman that Renney will really like. After seeing him play, I wouldn't be surprised if Renney had done some scouting on the guy and suggested him to Sather.

He's a stay at home D-man and is just as physical as any other defenseman on this team. He doesn't have much (or anything) in terms of offensive skill but I think he could fit in well with this team.

I also noticed that after Redden pinched a couple of times tonight and Florida got some odd man rushes that for a long time Renney was sending out a Reitz-Redden pairing.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 12:26 AM
gravytrain6t

Yea I see what you're saying. I never noticed that!! Good point.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 02:34 AM
SomE

Kalinin is better than Reitz

don't be silly

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Barnaby

I'm def the minority... I actually think Kalinin is decent. It's a shame he can't put it completely together because I think he could be very good.... of course he hasn't done it yet, so at this point he probably won't. On the plus side he doesn't scare me like Malik or Poti did...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 04:58 AM
shon

I like Reitz in the line up , the other d play more.
Kalalin is a better d man than Reitz not even a comparison . They both bring different things to the line up.
I really think we should trade Kalalin and get a smart forward who can make a play.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 05:28 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
I like Reitz in the line up , the other d play more.
Kalalin is a better d man than Reitz not even a comparison . They both bring different things to the line up.
I really think we should trade Kalalin and get a smart forward who can make a play.
If we could get something decent for him I'm all for it...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Melrose_Jr.

The defense has been worse without Kalinin.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 07:29 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

if we can get something for kalinen im all for it but reitz is not an nhl top 6 dman, he just isnt. i dont think potter is ready but if we can get a decent return on kalinen im fine with taking a chance on potter. if nothing else im hoping kalinen comes back and is put back with girardi because he is becoming a completely ineffective player with redden

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Kalinin is better than Reitz

don't be silly
you are right, siiigh but Reitz has been pretty good and is a cheap #7 guy that can step in so good pickup. We all know Fritsche would of been sitting around with the forward depth

Kalinin better be gone at the deadline. They just need a physical 6th like O'Brien...........I actually think Kalinin will be moved for a pick or equal back end Dman since he us a UFA and he does have some skill even though his errors are ridiculous

Can the dread deadline get here already and can we please get Dallas to put Avery on Re-entry so he can play his first game vs the Sabres next Sat..............going to the game!

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Fletch

Kalinin's better than Reitz. I think people like Reitz because he got into a fight and has hit more people in a few games than has Kalinin in a bunch. It's called the Brad Brown syndrome. On the flip side, he brings something to the blueline that's missing and as long as he's not terrible, I don't mind him being there.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 08:16 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Renney had done some scouting on the guy and suggested him to Sather.
They were not scouting him according to a blog. Slats was actually looking at getting a foward. Here is a link to the article.
http://wild.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...ticleid=406979

I do like Reitz a lot but not because he got into a fight. I like the fact that he adds some toughness and physical play in our back end which we lacked. Of course he isn't our answer, but for a 7th d-man, can't complain. Its just nice to see someone physical on the back end ever shift, its been awhile. Let's just hope he keeps up his decent play. Its also nice to NOT hear "Oh Kalinen with another bad give away".

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 08:27 AM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Kalinin's better than Reitz. I think people like Reitz because he got into a fight and has hit more people in a few games than has Kalinin in a bunch. It's called the Brad Brown syndrome. On the flip side, he brings something to the blueline that's missing and as long as he's not terrible, I don't mind him being there.
bingo.

I like Reitz as the 7th dman. In a Strudwick role, he can be plugged in when a little snarl is needed.

One thing I think everytime I see him, though, is how a big thumper is missing back there. Kaspar still around?

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 08:47 AM
92hatchattack

Kasper was great the year after the lockout... That team was so much fun .. so much personality.... Now, we get to listen to Drury interviews... instead of Kaspar, Jagr , Ortmeyer, and Holweg .... its just not the same ...

And i miss the hipcheck.... Kaspars hipchecks were legendary .. lol

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Vitto79

so honestly we all know both Kalinin and Prucha are not coming back next yr and that is around 3.8 million on the cap right now

Can they please just deal them for whatever at this deadline and clear the salary............that is plenty of room to fit Avery at 2 million and trade a pick or those guys for a physical 6th Dman

Then the big deal needs to be a sniper.........they can deal a higher pick , Dawes and a descent prospect for a good UFA

If it all possible I would take a chance with Gaborik..........cap will be tough i know

I am also for Dealing Rozi for that top 6 and then making another deal to replace him

I would still do

Tkachuk
Hinote
McKee

for

Rozsival
2nd
Prucha
Kalinin

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 10:13 AM
YMB29

If Reitz has been good for the team then how come he played less than 8 minutes yesterday?

YMB29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 11:35 AM
eco's bones

Reitz reminds me of Joe Cirella--he's top heavy and he has balance issues--his skating needs work. He's not been taking a regular shift. Kalinin is more of a real athelete and truthfully for the few weeks leading up to his injury his +/- stats for one had been getting better--think it had something to do with him playing a little better and Mara helping him out. Whatever--I don't see Reitz having much of an NHL career.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Garv23

I do like the physical game Reitz brings, but Kalinin is a MUCH better defenseman.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Nick00

I think to say Kalinin is a "better" defenseman has a lot more to do with his past reputation rather than actually comparing him to how Reitz has played.
Yes, Kalinin is a better skater and more offensive (so I've heard) but we desperately need physicality on defense and Reitz provides that.
Mara is the only guy who can really play with an edge and he only plays that way when he feels like it.
There's always the possibility of a Voros-esque colllapse, but for now the guy has been very physical and isn't making many mistakes with the puck or taking dumb penalties.
I wouldn't be surprised if Renney keeps him around for a while for this reason.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Ice Hockey

kalinin is better than reitz. way better.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I do like the physical game Reitz brings, but Kalinin is a MUCH better defenseman.

Better how though?

Maybe Kalinan has an advantage with his skating, but I don't think his decision making orhis outlet passes are better the Reitz.The physical element to Reitz's game seals it up for me. In his short term I have been pleasantly surprised by Reitz.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
I feel like Reitz is the kind of defenseman that Renney will really like. After seeing him play, I wouldn't be surprised if Renney had done some scouting on the guy and suggested him to Sather.

He's a stay at home D-man and is just as physical as any other defenseman on this team. He doesn't have much (or anything) in terms of offensive skill but I think he could fit in well with this team.

I also noticed that after Redden pinched a couple of times tonight and Florida got some odd man rushes that for a long time Renney was sending out a Reitz-Redden pairing.
If Renney likes him so much, why does he give him so little ice time? He got less than 8 minutes yesterday and has only played more than 11 minutes in a game once in the 5 games he played with the Rangers. Bottom line, he gets to wear a suit tomorrow and will continue to do so unless some other defenseman gets hurt.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:40 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I can definitely see Kalinin being waived to clear up space being that he's probably not gonna be back next season anyway.

That being said he's a lot better than Reitz IMO, we haven't honestly seen that much of Reitz but he was pretty bad in the Dallas game (not that anyone wasn't). I get that he hits and it is nice to see that he has the balls to fight even if he's not that great at it, but what's he honestly done in the defensive zone that makes him better than Kalinin? I haven't even seen him attempt an outlet pass. He probably hasn't had to.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Richter35

3 deadline or near deadline deals bouncing around my head -

1. prucha, 3rd

to pit for

goligoski

--the whitney rumor was flying around which is bull, but this is much more doable. maybe upgrade the pick to a 2nd, i think goligoski has a lot of potential but he was recently re-assigned to the ahl

2. kalinin

to edm for

4th rd pick

Oilers are hurting on the backend having lost visnovsky, gives them someone to plug in without resorting to their ahlers

3. dawes, 2nd

to stl for

tkachuk

big body that we need, lets us scratch voros/orr when they are not needed

(4) - bring up avery - sorry im a homer

lineup
tkachuk - gomez- naslund
avery-drury-callahan
korpikoski - dubi-zherdev
sjo-betts-orr/voros

girardi-redden
rozy-staal