Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

THoughts on A D man

Old
01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
txdude5101

vCash: 500
THoughts on A D man

I think the stars need to find a D man who can hit fight and score, Like taller than 6'3 and weighs more than 220 (its a dream dont think it will happen)
I wish we had a D man now like Hatcher,
Your thoughts on a New player we should get

txdude5101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I think every team wants that D man, and the ones who fit all the criteria you laid out are very very few and far between. Hatcher didn't fight much, though he would if he had to, and he certainly wasn't a big scorer.

This team needs a No. 1 and No. 2 guy. Ideally, Grossman matures into a steady, physical, positionally sound defensemen who can be that No. 2 guy.

The No. 1 guy? Even Niskanen last year didn't have that type of potential. That will have to come through trade or a lucky draft pick. Zubov, if is healthy enough to play and wants to come back next year, has the capability to be a great No. 1 for a couple more years, but they have to figure it out beyond that.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:50 PM
catters078

what about a guy like Brendan Witt from the Isles?? 6 " 2 223pds

Sure hes 33..his cap hit would be 3 million for next season then hes an UFA...Which granted may be alittle too much to have, but after sydor goes, we can fill the hole there, and we need an experienced get out of the crease type defenseman if we are to go anywhere..even next year..

hes a Mattias Norstrom type Defensive Defenseman...would be a good pairing with say robidas.

His +- is bad this year, but i think its more of an indication of the team he's on..

If we only had to give up say a 3rd rounder (or a 3rd rounder plus Sydor or somehting I think he could be valuable down the stretch..

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:52 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
If it weren't for Sydor, I might say Brendan Witt has been the worst regular defenseman in the NHL this year. The Isles have had better goaltending than the Stars at least.... sure he's not playing with great company.... but Holy Jesus does he get scored on a lot.

His name has gotten thrown around by Stars fans for years for some reason. It might have been a decent idea a few years ago, not so much now.

And about the #1 D thing... you don't have to have a #1 D. If you have #5 and #6 quality Dmen, then yeah, you do, to compensate. But if you have 6 #2-4 level D for example, do you really need that marquee name? Obviously you still need guys that play a range of different styles.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
If it weren't for Sydor, I might say Brendan Witt has been the worst regular defenseman in the NHL this year. The Isles have had better goaltending than the Stars at least.... sure he's not playing with great company.... but Holy Jesus does he get scored on a lot.

His name has gotten thrown around by Stars fans for years for some reason. It might have been a decent idea a few years ago, not so much now.

And about the #1 D thing... you don't have to have a #1 D. If you have #5 and #6 quality Dmen, then yeah, you do, to compensate. But if you have 6 #2-4 level D for example, do you really need that marquee name? Obviously you still need guys that play a range of different styles.
Dallas may be able to get Chris Campoli from the Islanders..He is having a solid year and can probably be had for a 2nd + prospect.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Chad_

If the Stars buy at or near the deadline, it'll be for a complimentary player. Think Havelid, Malik, Kuba or O'Donnell on defense, or an old veteran for a lower line role.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:42 PM
catters078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
If the Stars buy at or near the deadline, it'll be for a complimentary player. Think Havelid, Malik, Kuba or O'Donnell on defense, or an old veteran for a lower line role.
O'Donnel would be a handy cheap addition...

I cant see LA asking for much for him, hes probably not part of their plans past this year...

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I could see Atlanta trading Havelid...

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 11:33 PM
JorgeRocks!

Mark Fistric who is down in Manitoba. 6`2, 232 lbs.

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post

I cant see LA asking for much for him, hes probably not part of their plans past this year...
He won't get traded. Part of his deal for coming to LA is that he won't get traded at the deadline I believe.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post

The Kings got O'Donnell from the Ducks basically for free. That is unless we trade him, then we owe the Ducks a 3rd round pick. I doubt OD is going anywhere, unless you guys want to pony up a 2nd round pick or a prospect that is more valuable than a 3rd.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The Kings got O'Donnell from the Ducks basically for free. That is unless we trade him, then we owe the Ducks a 3rd round pick. I doubt OD is going anywhere, unless you guys want to pony up a 2nd round pick or a prospect that is more valuable than a 3rd.
O'Donnell can be had for a 3rd round pick and a lower tier prospect.

Old
01-26-2009, 10:54 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
O'Donnell can be had for a 3rd round pick and a lower tier prospect.
I kind of doubt that. Lombardi is probably looking for quality over quantity, so it's either a 2nd round pick or a good prospect. Other teams that are serious cup contenders would probably part with that if OD is a good fit for them.

Old
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
ScubaSteve*

A Hatcher clone is the last thing this team needs. We need to be more concerned with finding a legit replacement for Zubov.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
I kind of doubt that. Lombardi is probably looking for quality over quantity, so it's either a 2nd round pick or a good prospect. Other teams that are serious cup contenders would probably part with that if OD is a good fit for them.
There is no way a 38 almost 39 year old D man of his ability is going to get a 2nd or a good prospect. a 3rd + lower end prospect is about all.

Old
01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
There is no way a 38 almost 39 year old D man of his ability is going to get a 2nd or a good prospect. a 3rd + lower end prospect is about all.
Well, I said in the beginning that I doubt OD gets moved. We'll see what other teams offer, especially if there is an injury to a defenseman or two on contending teams. I don't know why you guys aren't sellers instead of buyers anyway. If you even make the playoffs, you're basically 1st round fodder for San Jose or Detroit.

Old
01-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Chad_

Quote:
If you even make the playoffs, you're basically 1st round fodder for San Jose or Detroit.
The Stars have had a winning record against the Sharks for four straight seasons, including the playoffs. And while I realize the team still has to make the playoffs, one of the two probable matchups wouldn't be bad at all.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:36 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
The Stars will be a scary team for the top seeded teams to face. They may not win the Cup if they make it into the playoffs, but they may either take a team or two down, or at least give them a long series to go into the next round (i.e., what the Sharks did to the Stars last season).

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Well, I said in the beginning that I doubt OD gets moved. We'll see what other teams offer, especially if there is an injury to a defenseman or two on contending teams. I don't know why you guys aren't sellers instead of buyers anyway. If you even make the playoffs, you're basically 1st round fodder for San Jose or Detroit.
Did you not watch last years playoffs? Anaheim and SJ would beg to differ than Dallas is 1st round fodder for anyone.

Old
01-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Along with what everyone else has said, last time I checked, Dallas was 4 points out of 6th place with 4 games in-hand. But I do get a chuckle everytime a King's fan comes in here and tells what the Stars should do.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:02 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Did you not watch last years playoffs? Anaheim and SJ would beg to differ than Dallas is 1st round fodder for anyone.
This year isn't last year, but keep living in the past. Turco got extremely hot in last year's playoffs. How's that working out for you this season? The longer your GM lives in the past, the longer it will take you to re-tool your team for a serious run.

The Kings will see the WCF before the Stars do again.

Old
01-26-2009, 03:24 PM
haf

I think you stand pat at the deadline and bring Fistric up later, closer to the playoffs.

We should be thinking Bouwmeester in the offseason. With Lehtinen, Zubov, Parrish and Sydor coming off the books, not counting halving Avery's salary, we have 14 million in payroll freed up.

Lehtinen should sign for under 2mil. He has a hard time staying healthy and has slowed considerably. Still a good player, but third liner at this point. I think Zubov should return for under three mil.

That gives us about 9 mil to play with. I think Bouwmeester gets about 7 to 8 mil. At 25 I think he's worth it.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
This year isn't last year, but keep living in the past. Turco got extremely hot in last year's playoffs. How's that working out for you this season? The longer your GM lives in the past, the longer it will take you to re-tool your team for a serious run.

Are you a betting man?

I know you have no control over your own teams' goaltending, but you're probably not going to get taken very serious dealing with the topic given that you are a Kings' fan. However, I will take you serious for the purpose of this thread.

Yes, Turco is having a very (very very very very) rough season in net. But it would be ignorant, and shortsighted, to decide that he is no longer a good option in net and to cast him out of Dallas. He holds the franchise record in games played as well as games won for a Stars' goalie. He also holds the franchise record, as well as the NHL playoff record, for shutouts. I am not a Turco sympathizer, however it would be foolish for me to ignore his history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
I think you stand pat at the deadline and bring Fistric up later, closer to the playoffs.

We should be thinking Bouwmeester in the offseason. With Lehtinen, Zubov, Parrish and Sydor coming off the books, not counting halving Avery's salary, we have 14 million in payroll freed up.

Lehtinen should sign for under 2mil. He has a hard time staying healthy and has slowed considerably. Still a good player, but third liner at this point. I think Zubov should return for under three mil.

That gives us about 9 mil to play with. I think Bouwmeester gets about 7 to 8 mil. At 25 I think he's worth it.
As far as Bouwmeester goes, yes he is a great option, but with Zubov and Lehtinen coming off the books and then likely getting back on the books for another season, I doubt that the Stars offer him a big pay day. Yes he will want to go to a contender and will take less money to do so (otherwise he would have signed with the Panthers already), he has more options than just Dallas, and those other options can likely offer him more money and a longer deal. The Stars might make him an offer, but I'm not holding my breathe on him taking it.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I don't think Kings fans are in any position whatsoever to be bashing another team's goalie situation.....that's been your Achilles heel for how long now?

Good luck riding Ersberg to the finals.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Turco got extremely hot in last year's playoffs.
No.

Turco got extremely hot 2 years ago during the Vancouver series. Osgood and Fleury got hot last year. Turco played well, comparable to the level he showed when he broke into the league. But he in no way carried the Stars.
Quote:
I don't know how anyone could make a claim like this with any confidence.

But I do agree that the Stars would get destroyed by either San Jose or Detroit in the playoffs this year.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote