HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

F. Kaberle, C. Gratton on waivers...

Old
02-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Why do we have to make a thread every time a player is waived? I mean if these 2 were any good, they wouldn't be on waivers right now... I guess I just don't get it :/
If you read the first post, maybe you'd understand that there is a purpose to start the thread. You don't like it? Why are you reading it and posting in it?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 10:52 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I think that you misunderstood my post. I wasn't suggesting for us to pick up Kaberle and Gratton off waivers to trade them to Tampa (Gratton is waive by Tampa BTW ).

I am suggesting to pick them up for ourselves to compensate for the assets we'd give Tampa in the Lecavalier trade.
Yeah, well the problem is that Lecavalier will cost more then what we gonna give them, most likely. Also adding 2.2M to your team to trade him as throw in wont make things better I think, we wouldnt save 2.2 as he wasnt part of the team anyway. It's like we take 2.2M and give it to them, we dont save anything.

No need to add 2.2M in either team cap roll when the problem actually is to stay under the cap while trading for a player that cost 7.7M.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 11:05 AM
MrNasty

While these are not great players it does not mean that any player that is placed on waivers is a bum.

Quincey was waived earlier this season. The Habs lost both Hainsey and Robidas to waivers. The got Begin on waivers. Briere was once placed on waivers.

If the best teams in the league can add old vets (Lemieux in SanJose, McCarty in Detroit) then I don't see why it would be a mistake for the Habs to add some veteran leadership.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Yeah, well the problem is that Lecavalier will cost more then what we gonna give them, most likely. Also adding 2.2M to your team to trade him as throw in wont make things better I think, we wouldnt save 2.2 as he wasnt part of the team anyway. It's like we take 2.2M and give it to them, we dont save anything.

No need to add 2.2M in either team cap roll when the problem actually is to stay under the cap while trading for a player that cost 7.7M.
It seems I'm not being very clear. Let's try again, understanding that those are speculations only:
  1. If we traded for Lecavalier, I don't know where you get the information that we would take on more salary than we'd be giving. No players have been mentioned.

2. We pick up Kaberle and Gratton

3. We are assuming that Plekanec would have to go Tampa Bay's way in return, a young center

4. By getting Lecavalier and picking up Gratton, we've added to our depth at center

5. We can then turn around and trade dead wood like Kovalev, keep Kaberle to replace whatever defenseman Tampa wanted in the Lecavalier trade, then waive or trade Bouillon if need be.

As you can see, both Kaberle and Gratton would be picked to stay. The point being that this would be a lot better than to make the Lecavalier trade and rely on Chipchura/Maxwell and Weber/Carle being called up as none of them seem to be NHL ready.

Hope this clarifies what I'm trying to say.

Old
02-14-2009, 11:07 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
But but... I thought Habs fans would know better than this!

ahhh.. to be young again

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Eklund:
"The Habs are closing in that minor deal to set up a major deal according to some sources and the player heading to Montreal is a defenseman. "

I wonder if it's along the lines that I'm thinking with this thread. Whether it's picking up F. Kaberle or a minor trade for depth on defense, then complete the Lecavalier deal...

Old
02-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Isn't Kaberle on re-entry? Half the price and the Canes pay the other half?Nothing wrong with that the way our D is playing right now and also adding a player that won the cup and if im not mistaking was on the top pair in Carolina during that cup run

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I have no problem taking a chance on Gratton as a 4th line center to take faceoffs and bring a bit of sandpaper.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:58 PM
holyhabs

we can pick them both up add a 1st and plekanec for vinny

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I have no problem taking a chance on Gratton as a 4th line center to take faceoffs and bring a bit of sandpaper.
I would rather see Habs management give more confidence in Chipchura then bring in a Gratton,but then again know knows what their plans are

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Agreed. What Gratton has that Chipper doesn't is experience and great face-off ability, something seriously lacking on this team.

Old
02-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Go Habs Go

Even bottom feeding teams don't want Gratton, we have no use for him. Kaberle is decent but he would be our 4th D at BEST. He would be good if we wanted to add depth but if we want a boost for the playoffs, he's not the solution.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:01 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
I guess I gave Habs' fans too much credit in thinking that they'd know that the Leafs wouldn't wave their best asset, even by providing the link to Spector and the link to Kaberle. I changed the title of the thread.

But where I'm going with this is if, as reported, the ball is in Gainey's court and he's discussing the possibility of give Tampa what they want for Lecavalier, Kaberle and Gratton would fill-in for Plekanec and one of Markov or Komisarek (if that's what they want truly want).

Gratton would add depth, size and experience as well as excellent face-off ability at center while Kaberle would be a decent depth move, again with experience. It could also pave the way for another trade to get a top 4 defenseman.

I'd be very tempted by both those guys and pull the trigger on Lecavalier. What do we have to lose? We're playing like crap anyway! Let's not be mistake by last night's win where we allowed 40+ shots once again...
You have to be joking.....comparing Gratton and F.Kaberle to Markov and Pleks....please.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
You have to be joking.....comparing Gratton and F.Kaberle to Markov and Pleks....please.
I'm not sure what you're reading but that's not what I said. I'm saying that if we were to trade Plekanec and Markov (hypothetically) in a deal for Lecavalier, it would be better to have Gratton and Kaberle as depth players. No comparison what so ever in there.

Old
02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're reading but that's not what I said. I'm saying that if we were to trade Plekanec and Markov (hypothetically) in a deal for Lecavalier, it would be better to have Gratton and Kaberle as depth players. No comparison what so ever in there.
But that is in essence what your idea would be doing....this team trades Markov, no bloody way the cup is closer, and I don't care if it is lecavalier that is coming back the other way.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
But that is in essence what your idea would be doing....this team trades Markov, no bloody way the cup is closer, and I don't care if it is lecavalier that is coming back the other way.
I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S MARKOV!!! Read the posts. It could be Komisarek, I don't know. I'm saying that the move would give us depth.

Old
02-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S MARKOV!!! Read the posts. It could be Komisarek, I don't know. I'm saying that the move would give us depth.
but we already have depth, what we don't have is more quality D. Kaberle can replace a Hamrlik (even that is very questionable) but he can't cover the physical game that a Komisarek brings nor can he replace Markov's offense, not even close. We should be sacrificing youth for quality, not adding more average players, more waiver material players.

If Tampa Bay wants Markov, then we need to bring in another Markov-esque player. Same applies to Komi.

Gratton has struggled his whole career, we can't take on more of these guys. He ain't that cheap either for what he brings.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

So Frantisek Kaberle and Chris Gratton for Lecavalier?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
So Frantisek Kaberle and Chris Gratton for Lecavalier?
**** that, those players are too important for our team at the moment...

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 04:25 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
How can Frantisek Kaberle help us? We already have Brisebois (except Brisebois actually score goals and works hard. I suspect both are just as bad defensively)

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I should have known that it's too much to expect people to read the first few posts before replying to the thread. Unless everything is explained in the title, they just don't read.

Old
02-14-2009, 07:01 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
I should have known that it's too much to expect people to read the first few posts before replying to the thread. Unless everything is explained in the title, they just don't read.
Even if we trade assets away I'm pretty sure these guys wouldn't help if we consider the dept we have. I'd rather play Weber than Kaberle or Chipchura/Stewart/Maxwell than Gratton. The guys they could replace (Brisebois, Begin, ect.) won't be traded because they have no value.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 08:50 PM
C4KOMI

not worth 1$.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 09:03 PM
redmachine54

Kaberle's not really an upgrade over any of O'Byrne, Bouillon, or Brisebois, so there's no point in even trying to pick him up. Gratton hasn't been good in years.

I don't want Lecavalier, but if Montreal picked up Kaberle in an attempt to somewhat replace Markov, even if only by adding depth, it would be laughable. Kaberle would be battling for ice-time with O'Byrne here.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 09:25 PM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Sorry, I meant for Markov. Adequate response if I meant in general

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote