HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joey Benik‏

Old
02-14-2009, 10:16 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Joey Benik‏

Was looking for some info on Joey Benik‏ from St. Francis, is he draft eligible in '10 since he's a junior this year, can't find his B-day.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

He's a '92, though I don't know the exact date, so it's either '10 or '11.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:52 PM
daiglek91

I'm searching for his birthday too, anyone got it?

daiglek91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 10:00 AM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Was looking for some info on Joey Benik‏ from St. Francis, is he draft eligible in '10 since he's a junior this year, can't find his B-day.
1/26/92

I'm not sure where he's playing this next season (which bugs the heck out of me), but I hear the Fargo Force are trying to lure him in. If not Fargo, then he might play for St. Francis again, but then you would expect he'd also play in the HS Elite League, which he isn't. For now, I'm guessing Fargo will be successful.

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:11 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
1/26/92

I'm not sure where he's playing this next season (which bugs the heck out of me), but I hear the Fargo Force are trying to lure him in. If not Fargo, then he might play for St. Francis again, but then you would expect he'd also play in the HS Elite League, which he isn't. For now, I'm guessing Fargo will be successful.
I think Fargo would be a good place for him, get him exposed to scouts more then he would at St. Francis

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:17 PM
hugehockeyfan88

He was drafted by the Alexandria Blizzard in the NAHL.

hugehockeyfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 04:27 PM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehockeyfan88 View Post
He was drafted by the Alexandria Blizzard in the NAHL.
He was also drafted by Indiana of the USHL. Players can be (and often are) drafted into both leagues.

He told Indiana he wouldn't be reporting and they dropped him from their protected list. Fargo then picked up his rights hoping to pursuade him.

If he has the option to play in the USHL, he probably won't opt for Alexandria. There was a rumor a while ago that he was going to play in the BCHL, but I don't think anything ever came of that.

I hope Benik develops into a fantastic player for SCSU, but right now he doesn't project to be a top NHL prospect... though he seems to have appeared on a bunch of lists on this message board. He'll be lucky to be drafted at all in 2010. To exemplify, I've seen Benik on more lists than Kyle Rau, but Rau made the Ivan Hlinka squad and Benik didn't.

Old
07-28-2009, 04:36 PM
hugehockeyfan88

Quote:
He was also drafted by Indiana of the USHL. Players can be (and often are) drafted into both leagues.

He told Indiana he wouldn't be reporting and they dropped him from their protected list. Fargo then picked up his rights hoping to pursuade him.

If he has the option to play in the USHL, he probably won't opt for Alexandria. There was a rumor a while ago that he was going to play in the BCHL, but I don't think anything ever came of that.

I hope Benik develops into a fantastic player for SCSU, but right now he doesn't project to be a top NHL prospect... though he seems to have appeared on a bunch of lists on this message board. He'll be lucky to be drafted at all in 2010. To exemplify, I've seen Benik on more lists than Kyle Rau, but Rau made the Ivan Hlinka squad and Benik didn't.
What is the scouting report on Kyle Rau?
Is he comparable to older brother Chad?

hugehockeyfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 07:53 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Rau is a late birthdate so he's 2011 eligible. Plus he's extremely small.

Benik put up huge numbers at a young age in Minnesota high school so that draws a lot of attention. However, as I'm sure you know very well, the strength of the competition his school faces is very weak. Weaker than that faced by recent SCSU record breaking recruits like Festler and Hanowski from what I understand. Still, he scored 65 goals as a 16 year old. Has that ever happend? Maybe, but not in the time I've been following Minny high school.

It'd be interesting to see Benik play in the USHL. I don't know if he's really ready to contribute at that level but it would be a nice gauge for what his high school points signify. Festler put up huge numbers when he was older than Benik but he wasn't a point per game player in the USHL the year after.

Then again, maybe Benik could break some records next year if he stays put. People probably thought Hanowski would suffer from staying at a lower level of competition but he seemed to get a lot of attention for the records and went fairly high. That may not have been the case had he gone to the USHL.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 09:58 PM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehockeyfan88 View Post
What is the scouting report on Kyle Rau?
Is he comparable to older brother Chad?
I really can't speak to playing styles, but I'll say this... nobody would be surprised to see an offensive defenseman (drafted in the middle of the first round, after being one of the older players in his league, playing relatively modest competition) lead his team in scoring. However, Nick Leddy did not lead his team in scoring... Kyle Rau did (though he's a forward, yet nearly two years younger).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Rau is a late birthdate so he's 2011 eligible. Plus he's extremely small.
Yeah, but I haven't seen Rau on any 2011 lists either, and Benik is certainly no monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Benik put up huge numbers at a young age in Minnesota high school so that draws a lot of attention. However, as I'm sure you know very well, the strength of the competition his school faces is very weak. Weaker than that faced by recent SCSU record breaking recruits like Festler and Hanowski from what I understand. Still, he scored 65 goals as a 16 year old. Has that ever happend? Maybe, but not in the time I've been following Minny high school.

It'd be interesting to see Benik play in the USHL. I don't know if he's really ready to contribute at that level but it would be a nice gauge for what his high school points signify. Festler put up huge numbers when he was older than Benik but he wasn't a point per game player in the USHL the year after.

Then again, maybe Benik could break some records next year if he stays put. People probably thought Hanowski would suffer from staying at a lower level of competition but he seemed to get a lot of attention for the records and went fairly high. That may not have been the case had he gone to the USHL.
Actually, 63 goals in a regular season is a state record. His level of competition certainly increased for the Select Camp and he held his own pretty well. However, word is that the best way to describe him at the moment is either "raw" or "floater".

Festler has been injury prone, but has otherwise done pretty well. By every measure, Hanowski is a step up from Festler, so you'd have to imagine he would have done pretty well in the USHL. We'll know more 9 months from now, but Kristo, LeBlanc, Hauswirth, and Mullane had similar point totals for Omaha. My guess is that he could have been in that grouping as well.

I don't think staying in high school neccesarily helped nor hurt Hanowski's draft stock, but he could have contributed more his freshman season at SCSU had he played in Omaha last season. Oh well, he'll still help out a lot and should be a fantastic sophmore.

Old
07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
The Exiled One

Fargo put Benik on their 25 man roster. If they can convince him to play there, we'll quickly get an understanding of his potential. Looking at the roster, I expect he'd be about the fourth or fifth leading scorer certainly after Leitner and possibly after Condon, Searfoss, St. Clair, Grant, and Lievermann. However, I also expect that his +/- rating will be brutally bad. If he surprises in one or both of those categories, I think we can start talking about him getting drafted in 2010.

Old
10-03-2010, 06:53 PM
hfboardsuser

To bump this, Benik is currently playing Tier II in BC and has 5-4-9 in 11 games with the Penticton Vees.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 04:49 PM
dutsk

how does cloud keep getting these record setters, Hanowski, Benik
Heres the St francis schedule from that record year.
http://minnesota-high-school-hockey....-schedule.html
Leaders:
http://minnesota-high-school-hockey....s-overall.html

Lot of D-1 guys. T-6 cal kid looks good!

dutsk is offline   Reply With Quote