HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Awesome Rangers report today

Old
02-14-2009, 01:02 PM
BleedBlue4491

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Thought I'd highlight this. Isn't it funny that the Rangers have only won 9 games in regulation since November? 9 of 43 games. Only 21%!! 9 of 20 wins, 45%... We all see it.
Is this a true stat?

BleedBlue4491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:25 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i personally wish all hockey games went with 20 minute periods and a golden goal ending......
Or just keep playing until you score.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:31 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
They would actually be trying to win games in regulation... that's where they'd be
or in overtime.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

They should give no points out at the start of overtime.

Play 4 on 4 for 5 minutes. If theres still a tie, award one point to both teams and then play 3 on 3 until someone scores, now thats exciting.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:35 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Lol where would this team be WITHOUT the shootout.

just sayin
a tad above the islanders from the bottom looking up watching our division rivals carve up the league

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:39 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
And if, as the Rangers do, you have a disproportionate number of them, they can give a false impression of the team by bloating the record.

Believe me, if I could eliminate them I would. Go back to the old system but give NOTHING for ties. The most basic objective of the game is to win. If you can't achieve the most basic objective of the game, you've earned nothing.

Make ties second tie-breaker (after head-to-head) in playoff determining. When ties are that cheap, coaches will stop playing for ties, and we'll have exciting hockey for the full 60 plus overtime. (Can you imagine the overtime frenzy if both teams were looking at the equivalent of losses if the game ended on a tie?)
Well, the shootout is popular, I just think that it shouldn't be worth as much as a regular win.

3-2-1-0 is what I like. Every game worth the same amount of points, 3. 3 for regulation or OT win. 2 for shootout win. 1 for Shootout loss. 0 for regulation or OT loss. Also, OT goes back to 5 on 5.

This would force teams to try to win in regulation or OT since they will lose a point if they win in shootout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue4491 View Post
Is this a true stat?
Yep, it's sad, but true.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/schedule?team=nyr

10-2-1 (13) at the end of October. Currently 30-20-6 (56). That's 43 games.

#1 - 11/06: 5-2 vs TBL
#2 - 11/12: 5-2 at NJD
#3 - 11/24: 4-1 vs PHX
#4 - 12/16: 3-1 at ANA
#5 - 01/05: 4-0 vs PIT
#6 - 01/10: 2-0 at OTT
#7 - 01/13: 2-1 at NYI
#8 - 01/20: 4-2 vs ANA
#9 - 01/27: 3-2 vs CAR

edit: I missed one
#10 - 12/29: 5-4 vs NYI

So it's 10, my bad.

2 vs. NYI
2 vs. ANA
1 vs. any team above them in the standings (NJD)
3 vs. teams currently in playoff position (NJD, ANA x2)

Highest ranked team other than the Devils: Anaheim #14 in the league, 6th in the west.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 02-14-2009 at 01:46 PM.
WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:39 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Lol where would this team be WITHOUT the shootout.

just sayin
Where they deserved to be.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 01:53 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademasterb View Post
I'm still waiting for Sather and Renney to grow a brain, rid this team of Betts, Voros and Prucha, create a roster spot and bring Anisimov up. We have a 20 year old kid that is among the leading scorers in a low scoring AHL league. He plays a complete game and I have to continue watching low talent morons like Voros, Orr and Betts get ice time. It's sickening.
Betts has been our best player recently. The 4th line isn't supposed to score every night. When are people going to realize that???

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
DrewN

All good points by Carpiniello. This team is fundamentally flawed in terms of make-up in that it lacks skill, and some fundamentals like someone who can actually play the point on the PP, that are needed for winning.

RE: shootouts, the shootout wins have been masking how flawed this team really is. You take away the shootout and we are one of the worst teams in the league. If you can't win in regulation/OT then you might as well be shooting for the draft lottery.

Sather had better make a move to improve this team before deadline if we are at all serious about going far in the playoffs (and who isn't). If not then we are in the worst position in the world - a fundamentally flawed, middling team that will never get past the 2nd round of the playoffs, and will never get better due to having questionable, bloated contracts on the books that we can't get rid of and having the 20-24th pick every draft.

DrewN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 04:41 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Check out todays Rangers report by Carp. I especially loved his point about the shootout:

"4) I hate the shootout.

I may have mentioned that before. In the old days, after the OT, this would have been a “good” tie. On the road, against a hot opponent, you get on the plane after a 1-1 tie feeling pretty good. Instead, because of a skills competition, and a shot that caught a piece of Lundqvist and snuck through, it’s a loss. Another loss.
Yea I thought that part was very good. It's basically exactly how I feel. I don't like that the shootout plays such a big part in a team getting points out of a game. It's really not that exciting to be honest, and it has very little to do with the game or the teams.

Sure it's fun to see a breakaway here and there, and sometimes it's fun to see one team actually score more than the other rather than having them tie, but forcing those outcomes takes some of the fun out of it.

Last night was a game where both teams deserved a tie, and the Rangers would have been a little happier with that result. Why did we need a couple breakaways after the game was over to force an extra point to be handed out to either team?

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote