HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak to face Canucks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
  #51
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
This is really Haleks chance right now.

He is in position to steal the number one gig.
At the long run he won't be able to steal it from Price.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:49 PM
  #52
Habs 1909
Registered User
 
Habs 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
This is really Haleks chance right now.

He is in position to steal the number one gig.
Only temporarily..for the next 10 or so games if he plays well.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:50 PM
  #53
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
At the long run he won't be able to steal it from Price.
Ya never know...

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 01:04 PM
  #54
Phousse
Registered User
 
Phousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
At the long run he won't be able to steal it from Price.
Why do people always treat Halak as the red-headed step-child?

I like Price as much as the next guy, but there's ALWAYS the chance Halak ends up being the better goaltender.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 01:09 PM
  #55
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffle View Post
Why do people always treat Halak as the red-headed step-child?

I like Price as much as the next guy, but there's ALWAYS the chance Halak ends up being the better goaltender.
You never know, but Halak doesn't have the size, the talent and the skills of price. I like Halak i'm realy happy he's steping up when Price is Strugling, but i doubt he will have the same kind of carrer than Carey.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 01:13 PM
  #56
Adam91
Registered User
 
Adam91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
Price isnt from Vancouver... its like saying people from Chicoutimi are from Montreal
He's from Williams/Anahim Lake BC, which is almost closer to Calgary then it is Vancouver.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 01:22 PM
  #57
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,710
vCash: 500
With both playing poorly who's pushing who, and how are the Habs supposed to win? If Halak can line up a couple of solid performances, it pushes Price to get his act together. Getting a little internal competition can't hurt.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:23 PM
  #58
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
You never know, but Halak doesn't have the size, the talent and the skills of price. I like Halak i'm realy happy he's steping up when Price is Strugling, but i doubt he will have the same kind of carrer than Carey.
Actually, I think that Halak has probably more talent and/or skills than Price, hence why he is so small yet still in the NHL. Price is incredible, but the size plays a big part of how he is a good goalie. He can get in front of a lot of pucks, where Halak has to flop around a bit to cover more net.

I'm not sure talent/skills is what Halak has more of, but you probably
understand what I mean.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:39 PM
  #59
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
And I think that you're underestimating the values of respect. What seems routine to you is not for Price in his home province, the only time this season his family and friends can watch him play. Again, if Price was involved in the talks, I'm totally fine. Otherwise, it's one drop in a glass of water. Let's just hope it doesn't overflow by the time he's entitled to free agency, at 26-27 years old.

I'm from BC and I know and feel the anticipation of the Habs and Price coming here.
Like you, I thought the same thing..., it was from your previous post (page 1) about Price remembering this (+maybe other situations) when it comes time to sign or not with the HABS during UFA day.

I really hope this (& whatever else can happen to make Price have bad "je me souviens/I will never forget" memories) doesn't come back to haunt us (hoping it will be one drop in a glass of water like you wrote).

Remember...it seemed like Price was ready top do anything to play in the All-Star game (especially as soon as Carbo let it be known that Price shouldn't play...that probably pissed Price off since his entire family came to Montreal for the game, etc, etc...).

This was all bad timing/bad luck for Price (good luck for Halak), that's all, imo.
Bad timing: it just so happens that Halak has to play without a doubt, but it also happens to be a game in...Vancouver (still...alsmot impossible not to go back with Halak, and I'm a huuuuuuuuuuge Price fan).

Solution for Price: Halak would have to think "hmmmm, if this game were in Slovakia I would be pissed if Price were starting it, so I'll insist to Carbo that Price play instead of me since it's in front of his entire family/friends..." (and of course Carbo has to say yes or no, or shake his head at this proposal/agreement).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:41 PM
  #60
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
I don't care where you're from, you haven't got a very good read of the situation.
I stopped reading after that. If you think that YOUR opinion is gold, no sense even debating as I'm a strong believer that opinion are just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Consulting Price? WTF. The guy has played like garbage plain and simple. The team owes him nothing. Since when does management have to consult a player? Give me a break. If Crybaby Carey can't see that hes playing like garbage than to bad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
He's from Williams/Anahim Lake BC, which is almost closer to Calgary then it is Vancouver.
I hate to disagree, but this isn't quite true.

Williams Lake to Vancouver: 328kms
Williams Lake to Calgary: 569kms

Anahim Lake is 316kms west of Williams Lake, going away from Calgary.

Vancouver is a lot closer to Anahim Lake than Calgary is.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:44 PM
  #61
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I agree and that's why I'm hoping that they consulted with Price before making their decision.

I know that people will downplay this situation, paint Price with one brush if he uses that as a reason to leave and so on. But what it boils down to is respect. It's one thing to make the decision and I agree that Halak deserves the start, but if we went ahead and picked Halak without consulting Price (remember that it's his only game in BC this year), it's one black mark. That alone may not be enough for him to chose to leave when he's a UFA, but it could easily start the process of him talking notes. So as long as he's been consulted, it's fine. I just hope he has.
So he needs to be consulted for coaching decisions now?

This is the NHL. If you're not stoping the pucks, you're not playing. You have to go with the guy who is hot. Period. I don't care if it's the only game he'd ever play in his home province. The coach needs to be concerned with the team. Not one player's special wishes.

If Carey Price doesn't understand this (which I'm sure he does) he's in the wrong line of work.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:50 PM
  #62
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
So he needs to be consulted for coaching decisions now?

This is the NHL. If you're not stoping the pucks, you're not playing. You have to go with the guy who is hot. Period. I don't care if it's the only game he'd ever play in his home province. The coach needs to be concerned with the team. Not one player's special wishes.

If Carey Price doesn't understand this (which I'm sure he does) he's in the wrong line of work.
There's no sense arguing as there's very little room for common sense I see. This is the only game in BC, in front of his family and friends. I'm NOT talking about any other game here and I am talking about the same guy who's supposed to be our goalie for many years to come.

Anyway, I'm done trying to explain this nuance as it seems to be totally ignored in every post. Time will tell if it becomes a factor or not in his decision making in the future, if he chooses to wear the Canucks' colours instead one day or not. We'll see.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
  #63
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
So wait... Let me understand your statement about the hot goaltender... They both sucked for the last 2-3 weeks (giving up to 5-6-7 goal each per game), and now that Halak has 1 good game (when the team ****ing sucked again), we should piss Carey off? Good thinking.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 02:56 PM
  #64
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Solution for Price: Halak would have to think "hmmmm, if this game were in Slovakia I would be pissed if Price were starting it, so I'll insist to Carbo that Price play instead of me since it's in front of his entire family/friends..." (and of course Carbo has to say yes or no, or shake his head at this proposal/agreement).
A 2nd-year goalie telling a coach that he should not play that game???

That's a easy recipe to get yourself kicked off the team pretty quickly.

It takes at least 10 years of all-star worthy hockey before a player can even think of questioning a decision by a coach. Carey Price (6.5 gpg since all-star break) is in NO situation, and Halak (backup goalie) isnt either.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:02 PM
  #65
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
So wait... Let me understand your statement about the hot goaltender... They both sucked for the last 2-3 weeks (giving up to 5-6-7 goal each per game), and now that Halak has 1 good game (when the team ****ing sucked again), we should piss Carey off? Good thinking.
You didn't.

It's not about pissing one off or worrying about the other's feelings. It's going with the no-brainer decision. Halak stopped 46 shots last game and Price looked like he was breaking down mentally completely the game before.

Simple as that. They are pros, get paid lots of money. This is just the way it is.

If a coach started thinking like a peewee house-league coach trying to please everybody it would turn into a farce in a hurry.

I'm not going to debate this point any further as it is complete nonsense.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:08 PM
  #66
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I really can't believe anyone is questioning this decision. I can't stand Carbo, but starting Halak tonight is the right thing to do.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:11 PM
  #67
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I really can't believe anyone is questioning this decision. I can't stand Carbo, but starting Halak tonight is the right thing to do.
Just like benching 3/4 of the team would be right too, no?

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:13 PM
  #68
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Just like benching 3/4 of the team would be right too, no?
3/4 of the team certainly deserves to sit, but I don't think that's possible...

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:19 PM
  #69
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,907
vCash: 500
I can't believe people are even making an argument for Price to start. Since the All-Star break, he's posted a 4.00 GAA & .860 SV% in 8 games. That's not even AHL caliber. Halak just made 46 saves last game (.910 SV% since the All-Star break), he gets the start. It's pretty easy.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:50 PM
  #70
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I can't believe people are even making an argument for Price to start. Since the All-Star break, he's posted a 4.00 GAA & .860 SV% in 8 games. That's not even AHL caliber. Halak just made 46 saves last game (.910 SV% since the All-Star break), he gets the start. It's pretty easy.
Nate, in all due respect, read the thread. It's not an argument over if Halak should start or not.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 04:07 PM
  #71
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
I agree with everyone that Halak should and deserve tonights game but a good way to see Price gaining his confidence back is to making him start tonight in front of his family and friends but with the way Halak played last game, Carbo had no choice to give him the start.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 05:37 PM
  #72
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,468
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
There are people arguing for Price to start?
Halak stole us a game. The team did nothing. Halak is rewarded with another start.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 05:39 PM
  #73
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,607
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
There are people arguing for Price to start?
Halak stole us a game. The team did nothing. Halak is rewarded with another start.
not even worth arguing with them.
Carbo himself said it....

«Peu importe les décisions que je prends, il y aura toujours des mécontents, mais c’est normal. Je me sens mal pour Carey puisque je sais que ce match est important pour lui et plusieurs autres joueurs.»

"no matter what decision I take, Theirs always people pissed off, but its normal. I feel bad for Carey because I know this game is important for him."

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
  #74
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
There's no sense arguing as there's very little room for common sense I see. This is the only game in BC, in front of his family and friends. I'm NOT talking about any other game here and I am talking about the same guy who's supposed to be our goalie for many years to come.

Anyway, I'm done trying to explain this nuance as it seems to be totally ignored in every post. Time will tell if it becomes a factor or not in his decision making in the future, if he chooses to wear the Canucks' colours instead one day or not. We'll see.
You've given your opinion. nobody agrees that consultation and special considerations should trump hockey decisions so that goaltenders can play in front of friends and family . Also nobody agrees that possible downstream implications will come about because Carbonneau makes this decision. It's you that doesn't understand these simple concepts, it's you that doesn't understand this game. So stop talking to people like you do and like we're just ignoring your common sense.
You haven't demonstrated any.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
  #75
mlandry
Registered User
 
mlandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,519
vCash: 500
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/269241.html

This made me laugh; I can't believe people would get pissed off that the opposing goalie isn't who they wanted him to be.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.