HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#55 -- Flyers at Rangers -- February 15, 2009 -- 12:30 PM (ET)

Old
02-15-2009, 05:59 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Is this a joke...or is the memory that bad?
He proba bly meant besides today.

And Giroux was 0-7 on the faceoffs

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Giroux's starting to put it all together up here as well. It took a few games to adjust, but now that he's adjusting and adapting to the pro game, he's only going to get better. What's even better is that this is a kid who's playing out of position. He's normally a winger, but he's playing in the center spot. He's taking draws and everything. Go figure, it looks like we have yet ANOTHER potential top center on the team - and he wasn't supposed to be a center either.......
Remember when he played with Richards a few weeks ago for the first time and always passed it to him? Now he's not afraid to shoot. I can't wait till Danny gets back, with him and Giroux playing our offense should be amazing.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Giroux's starting to put it all together up here as well. It took a few games to adjust, but now that he's adjusting and adapting to the pro game, he's only going to get better. What's even better is that this is a kid who's playing out of position. He's normally a winger, but he's playing in the center spot. He's taking draws and everything. Go figure, it looks like we have yet ANOTHER potential top center on the team - and he wasn't supposed to be a center either.......
and just to add to that, he's pretty good in his own zone AND willing to throw his body around. once he puts some weight on and gets stronger, he's just gonna be ridiculous.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
46zone
Guttersnipe

So is the goalie controversy over now?

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well, my understanding was that he was playing center for all of the Q playoffs last year...so it isn't as if he hasn't played it before.

I do think he was playing wing on that line today, however. With Powe in the middle.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 06:16 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
and just to add to that, he's pretty good in his own zone AND willing to throw his body around. once he puts some weight on and gets stronger, he's just gonna be ridiculous.
I'll tell you this much. I watch Giroux play and he reminds me an awful lot of a young Bryan Trottier. Absolutely disgusting the depth we have at center now. There's no way that once Briere comes back he's going back to the pivot spot. He's going on the wing with someone.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 06:16 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Well, my understanding was that he was playing center for all of the Q playoffs last year...so it isn't as if he hasn't played it before.

I do think he was playing wing on that line today, however. With Powe in the middle.
Well Giroux took 7 draws to Powes 1. after the draw he could have been

Old
02-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Well Giroux took 7 draws to Powes 1. after the draw he could have been
I wasn't paying that close attention, so couldn't say, but Powe is a center, too.

I do find it annoying to be playing him out of position...ultimately Giroux is going to be a wing if he's going to crack the top 6, so he should be playing at that position for the time being, and not going back and forth.

Old
02-15-2009, 06:23 PM
HoverCarle*

ovechkin with a hatty. oh well

Old
02-15-2009, 06:36 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

The Caps have themselves a pretty darn nice team.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
I wasn't paying that close attention, so couldn't say, but Powe is a center, too.

I do find it annoying to be playing him out of position...ultimately Giroux is going to be a wing if he's going to crack the top 6, so he should be playing at that position for the time being, and not going back and forth.
Yup, Giroux should not be playing centre. It's nice that he can fill in there in case of injury down the road, but he needs to be developed as a winger. He can't win a faceoff to save his life.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
HoverCarle*

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2673...s=secStory_nhl

Mara has shoulder injury.

Gave props to Asham for letting up

Old
02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Yup, Giroux should not be playing centre. It's nice that he can fill in there in case of injury down the road, but he needs to be developed as a winger. He can't win a faceoff to save his life.
It's not like anyone else on the team can do any better on them though.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:08 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Unless the Flyers decide to roll three offensive lines and one "checking" line. I like the idea of the three offensive lines coming at you because it's going to create a question of who do you put your checking line on. I think the days of the standard 2 offensive, 1 checking, 1 energy line are slowly being phased out. As well, from an organizational standpoint, the one thing this franchise has are skilled forwards. Why not take advantage of rolling three high scoring lines?

Old
02-15-2009, 07:15 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Unless the Flyers decide to roll three offensive lines and one "checking" line. I like the idea of the three offensive lines coming at you because it's going to create a question of who do you put your checking line on. I think the days of the standard 2 offensive, 1 checking, 1 energy line are slowly being phased out. As well, from an organizational standpoint, the one thing this franchise has are skilled forwards. Why not take advantage of rolling three high scoring lines?
or just have a 2 way line like Hartnell-Richards-Upshall or something

Old
02-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Because teams don't roll three lines...it's a myth. And with Richards and Carter playing at the level they're currently playing at, why wouldn't you want them each out there for 20+ minutes?

Moreover, the salary cap actually makes it more likely that the formula will be 2-1-1, due to the distribution of talent.

On top of that, we're going to need to start jettisoning our skilled forwards with regularity in the coming year. Umberger was just the start of what is going to be an annual summer rite of passage for the Flyers.

Old
02-15-2009, 10:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2061
New York Daily News columnist...

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._numbered.html
Quote:

In answering my question in his news conference after today's dismal 5-2 home loss to the rival Flyers, Coach Tom Renney may publicly have lowered his neck to the chopping block.

When I asked about the chants of "Fire Renney" and "Fire Sather" and how much blame he needs to take for the unrest and slumping team, he said:

“I take full responsibility for where this team is right now. That’s incumbent with the position. My job is to correct this, get us winning, get us feeling better about ourselves. I look to be a solution. It’s as simple as that.”

Actually, it's more complicated. I'm starting to get the feeling that some players---not all---have tuned Renney out, and as the old saying goes, you can't get fire of all the players.

My growing suspicion is that if the Rangers don't respond with wins Monday in St. Louis and at home against the Islanders on Wednesday, the successful coach of almost five years may not get a reprieve.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The Rags, as bad as they looked, shouldn't have a problem beating the teams that are in dead last in each conference. That shouldn't save Renney's job, either.

Old
02-15-2009, 10:49 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Because teams don't roll three lines...it's a myth. And with Richards and Carter playing at the level they're currently playing at, why wouldn't you want them each out there for 20+ minutes?
The only reason most teams don't roll three lines simply has to do with the talent they have. The Flyers have unmatched depth at forward. I don't think teams like Detroit or San Jose have the depth at forward that the Flyers have. That affords them to roll three lines. As for Richards and Carter playing 20+ minutes a night, why run them into the ground during the regular season? Why not balance their ice time so that once the playoffs begin, you can really run them when they still have relatively fresh legs. That's the reason for rolling three lines like that.

Quote:
Moreover, the salary cap actually makes it more likely that the formula will be 2-1-1, due to the distribution of talent.
I don't buy the salary cap reason simply because the way the game is going now, players that are younger are going to get more of a chance than previous to fill in roles. And by that, you can have roll three good offensive lines and the cost isn't going to kill you if you manage the cap wisely. On top of it, as previously mentioned, the Flyers have ridiculous skill at the forward position. We have prospects waiting in the AHL (Matsumoto, Maroon, Nodl), Europe (Kempe), NCAA (JVR) and they aren't going to break the bank when they get here and they can all contribute offensively. We also have players who's contracts will expire soon (Gagne, Knuble) who will take a pay cut or will be allowed to walk because there is a replacement for them.

Quote:
On top of that, we're going to need to start jettisoning our skilled forwards with regularity in the coming year. Umberger was just the start of what is going to be an annual summer rite of passage for the Flyers.
Really, what has Umberger done since being dealt? If Umberger were still in Philadelphia, where would he be playing? He'd be playing on the third or fourth line. The deal we made with Umberger brought us another key piece to the organization - Sbisa, a young defenseman who Mike Richards has said will eventually be the best player for the Flyers. If deals like that are made, I'm not worried. Once again, people forget that this franchise has an embarassment of riches at the forward position. Dealing Umberger wasn't out of a position of weakness. It was done from a position of strength. Umberger could be dealt because the forward depth the Flyers have allowed them to move him without harming the team any.

If we have to move a guy like Lupul this offseason, once again, we've got an embarassment of riches to replace Lupul. Same with Upshall. Same with Knuble. The only guy who might be difficult to replace would be Gagne and even then, I'm willing to bet that Simon takes a pay cut after his deal expires in order to stay. And if he doesn't, let someone else overpay for him.

Old
02-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
The only reason most teams don't roll three lines simply has to do with the talent they have. The Flyers have unmatched depth at forward. I don't think teams like Detroit or San Jose have the depth at forward that the Flyers have. That affords them to roll three lines. As for Richards and Carter playing 20+ minutes a night, why run them into the ground during the regular season? Why not balance their ice time so that once the playoffs begin, you can really run them when they still have relatively fresh legs. That's the reason for rolling three lines like that.

I don't buy the salary cap reason simply because the way the game is going now, players that are younger are going to get more of a chance than previous to fill in roles. And by that, you can have roll three good offensive lines and the cost isn't going to kill you if you manage the cap wisely. On top of it, as previously mentioned, the Flyers have ridiculous skill at the forward position. We have prospects waiting in the AHL (Matsumoto, Maroon, Nodl), Europe (Kempe), NCAA (JVR) and they aren't going to break the bank when they get here and they can all contribute offensively. We also have players who's contracts will expire soon (Gagne, Knuble) who will take a pay cut or will be allowed to walk because there is a replacement for them.

Really, what has Umberger done since being dealt? If Umberger were still in Philadelphia, where would he be playing? He'd be playing on the third or fourth line. The deal we made with Umberger brought us another key piece to the organization - Sbisa, a young defenseman who Mike Richards has said will eventually be the best player for the Flyers. If deals like that are made, I'm not worried. Once again, people forget that this franchise has an embarassment of riches at the forward position. Dealing Umberger wasn't out of a position of weakness. It was done from a position of strength. Umberger could be dealt because the forward depth the Flyers have allowed them to move him without harming the team any.

If we have to move a guy like Lupul this offseason, once again, we've got an embarassment of riches to replace Lupul. Same with Upshall. Same with Knuble. The only guy who might be difficult to replace would be Gagne and even then, I'm willing to bet that Simon takes a pay cut after his deal expires in order to stay. And if he doesn't, let someone else overpay for him.
Ever the optimist.

Old
02-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
The Rags, as bad as they looked, shouldn't have a problem beating the teams that are in dead last in each conference. That shouldn't save Renney's job, either.
Meh, I think he's a good coach with a team that just isn't well structured right now, and lacks any fire in the lineup. Maybe Avery will bring that if he shows up. But Renney has done a good job of fielding a very well coached team that won despite lack of scoring the last couple of years.

The Rags have a very good goalie, and some good talent, but similar to the pre-cap epoch, they're lacking that real team "spirit" or whatever you want to call it.

Old
02-15-2009, 11:02 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Ever the optimist.
...better than a pessimist... lol. With that being said though, I can only think of one other team that rolls three lines successfully - Boston.

Old
02-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Meh, I think he's a good coach with a team that just isn't well structured right now, and lacks any fire in the lineup. Maybe Avery will bring that if he shows up. But Renney has done a good job of fielding a very well coached team that won despite lack of scoring the last couple of years.

The Rags have a very good goalie, and some good talent, but similar to the pre-cap epoch, they're lacking that real team "spirit" or whatever you want to call it.
I have no problem with Renney as a coach. Personnel is their number one problem in my opinion, I meant to say that winning the next two games shouldn't save his job if it's on the line.

Old
02-15-2009, 11:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have no problem with Renney as a coach. Personnel is their number one problem in my opinion, I meant to say that winning the next two games shouldn't save his job if it's on the line.
its looking like some players on that team have started to tune him out. I was shocked by the lack of fire, passion and the lack of willingness to compete today from the Rangers.
That lockerroom is more then likely a mess, and they are talkin about bringing in Avery? I dont know man.
I think they have to win the next 2 games. if they lose tomorrow it wouldnt shock me if hes gone.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Ri hards

I just watched the post game interviews on Flyers TV...I think you all need to watch the portion with Giroux.

What is up with that obscenley oversized hat? Makes him look 12...even moreso than usual.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote