HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Return on players at deadline will be next to nothing

Old
02-15-2009, 05:30 AM
trademasterb*

vCash: 500
Return on players at deadline will be next to nothing

I can't wait till the trades start happening and you see a ton of posters here in disbelief at how little their teams got back. It will be all about salary dumps at the deadline and trading for head case prospects who might turn out to be something.

I'm laughing at how people are asking for top prospects, 1st and 2nd round picks for guys that are over 33 and are almost old farts. Or asking a ton of players that have had maybe two good years. Players like Antropov, Arnott, Kozlov, Tkachuk, ect..... will be given away for basically nothing.

trademasterb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 05:35 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademasterb View Post
I can't wait till the trades start happening and you see a ton of posters here in disbelief at how little their teams got back. It will be all about salary dumps at the deadline and trading for head case prospects who might turn out to be something.

I'm laughing at how people are asking for top prospects, 1st and 2nd round picks for guys that are over 33 and are almost old farts. Or asking a ton of players that have had maybe two good years. Players like Antropov, Arnott, Kozlov, Tkachuk, ect..... will be given away for basically nothing.

If you are right about this, it it will be the first time in recent memory that GMs have not badly overpaid at the deadline.

I think your post is swiming against the tide of NHL history.

02-15-2009, 05:37 AM
River Man

Quote:

You showed them.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 05:43 AM
NHL33*

Quote:

Well, that conclusive evidence has certainly changed my mind!

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 05:45 AM
River Man

We should all come here after the trade deadline and share a good chuckle.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 05:50 AM
jniklast

Quote:

you know that law of supply and demand?
there could very well be 23-25 teams still in playoff contention by the deadline, meaning they'll rather be buyers.
so it will be 5-7 sellers and 23-25 buyers. go figure...

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 05:52 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:

Give it a rest, will you?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 05:52 AM
VelvetJones

I just canceled the trade deadline because of this thread.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 06:41 AM
WildWolfdog

Well they don't call you the trademaster for nothing, eh?

WildWolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 06:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

trademasterb is a Ranger fan.Fortunately his opinions and views don't represent most of us.Thank god.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Wisent

Quote:

You will eat crow come deadline day. When did teams not overpay for cuprun rentals? They always did and there will be no stop to it.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Give it a rest, will you?
While he's not right, he does make a point. The way people overvalue players around here is absolutely retarded. There is absolutely no way Bouwmeester nets a 1st, 1st, Plekanec, Subban, and Pacioretty from Montreal, for example.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Tra La La

Some teams aren't going to take payroll for x years, unless the same payroll for x years is going back.

If a team wants to trade a player @ 4.25 million for 2 years, they might have to take back 4.25
million for 2 years.

It's not just trading players, it's trading payroll dollars.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Abraham85

Just because the returns for the UFAs won't match most of the lofty expectations here, it doesn't mean that the GMs won't overpay.

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Ah, yes, this thread. I've been waiting for this thread, because we see it every year at how rentals are worthless at the deadline, and then when good prospects and 1st Round draft picks are traded we get to see such posters backtrack and complain about 'the lockout was supposed to stop this' and see such people in disbelief at the return on trades.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 09:28 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Salary dumps? There's only like 20% of the salaries left on deadline day. That's peanuts.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 09:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Discussion from the last 2 years, some involving 'no-return on rentals'
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=482541&page=5
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=480137
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=474406
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=348309
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=350362
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=338990

Old
02-15-2009, 09:52 AM
trademasterb*

Last 2 years means nothing. The economy is horrific now and the first couple years the cap didn't put the squeeze on teams. Now it is. It's a whole different ball game with deals now.

trademasterb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Last 2 years means nothing. The economy is horrific now and the first couple years the cap didn't put the squeeze on teams. Now it is. It's a whole different ball game with deals now.
hey if you can make the statment just be sure you can accept it when everyone on here spills how ur wrong on march 4'th.. there maybe a drop in number of trades but not in what people get for trades.. even then when there so many buyers i dont see much of a drop ... like i said you can make your statement all you want just be sure to accept whats coming to you when your dead wrong

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:02 AM
twenty2

Quote:

YT or it didn't happen.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
If you are right about this, it it will be the first time in recent memory that GMs have not badly overpaid at the deadline.

Yeah, each year you half-expect a light to go on inside the buyer GM's head....but it never does.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:06 AM
grabo84

GMs always overpay at the deadline, especially from the perspective of a prospect site. It's the price you pay to say to your team that you'll be a contender.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:07 AM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post

but his name is trademaster!!!!!!!!

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Um, we were in a recession last February too.

Old
02-15-2009, 11:29 AM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Um, we were in a recession last February too.
Only in the US ;p

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote