HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bertuzzi Hearing Results and Suspension Talk-- ALL goes here.

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Bertuzzi Hearing Results and Suspension Talk-- ALL goes here.

Keep this thread clean, though. I'm only doing this because i'm quite sure once it is announced that loads of people would have created threads about it and i'm just trying to save a few people from a ban. All suspension talk goes in here.

Old
03-10-2004, 12:45 PM
WhitePony

How long do these hearing usually last?

Old
03-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Not exactly sure, but per tsn.ca, both sides needed more time to prepare an argument but it's still going on today. Bertuzzi isn't in attendance either.

Old
03-10-2004, 12:50 PM
JV

TSN reported that there was some discussion of Bert simply not speaking at the hearing, for fear of incriminating himself.

It's hard to imagine how the NHL can do any less in this case than they did to McSorley. McSorely could legitimately claim he didn't intend to injure Brashear but only bait him into a fight. Judged objectively, it was a quick tap to the side of Brashear's helmet that just had way worse consequences than Marty intended. Still, he got hammered.

Bertuzzi's case is even tougher, partly because of his comments to the press two weeks ago, and partly because there's no way to describe the roundhouse to the head as anything other than an attempt to whack Moore.

If it were me, I'd give Bertuzzi the remainder of the regular season and the playoffs.

Old
03-10-2004, 12:51 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Not exactly sure, but per tsn.ca, both sides needed more time to prepare an argument but it's still going on today. Bertuzzi isn't in attendance either.
According to tsn.ca, it says Bertuzzi may opt out of appearing because anything he says could be used against him if criminal charges are laid. That's why McSorley didn't attend his hearing after his incident with Brashear.
It doesn't say for sure if he's not in attendance though...

Old
03-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
According to tsn.ca, it says Bertuzzi may opt out of appearing because anything he says could be used against him if criminal charges are laid. That's why McSorley didn't attend his hearing after his incident with Brashear.
It doesn't say for sure if he's not in attendance though...
I suppose thats what I get for speed reading. :p

Please disregard my statement about Bertuzzi not being in attendance, he may just keep his mouth shut.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Freudian
Regress to meanness

vCash: 341
Quote:
I suppose thats what I get for speed reading. :p

Please disregard my statement about Bertuzzi not being in attendance, he may just keep his mouth shut.
I don't think there is anything he can say to help his case.

I think the best way for him to handle this is just to take whatever he gets without protesting and then serve his suspension without saying anything and then get back to playing without saying anything.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePony
How long do these hearing usually last?
It's possible they could decide to leave Bertuzzi suspended indefinitely and not issue a final decision for several days. It wouldn't surprise me if they do that as there may be legal ramifications here. Lawyers often need several days of billable hours, errr I mean research, before they'll offer a firm opinion.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Stuy

The meeting is over and the decision will come out very soon.

03-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Phaze

The article now says that Bertuzzi was in attendance.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
It's possible they could decide to leave Bertuzzi suspended indefinitely and not issue a final decision for several days. It wouldn't surprise me if they do that as there may be legal ramifications here. Lawyers often need several days of billable hours, errr I mean research, before they'll offer a firm opinion.
They may also want more time to evaluate the extent of Moore's injuries and his prognosis.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:35 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
In this particular case, I don't think Bertuzzi has an argument.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:38 PM
JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
They may also want more time to evaluate the extent of Moore's injuries and his prognosis.
Shouldn't have anything to do with it, imo. I'm not saying it doesn't, but that it shouldn't. Dishing out punishment based on the result, rather than on the basis of how stupid, vicious or reckless conduct is, is bad policy. I push a guy into the boards from behind and he separates his shoulder. I get a game misconduct and the league leaves it at that because the guy's going to be back in 2 weeks. The next week, I do it again to another guy, but this time the victim goes into the boards at a weird angle and snaps his neck. Now I get 20 games because the guy went off on a cookie sheet? What I did was just as dangerous the first time. Should have been treated that way, because then the second incident would have been less likely to happen at all.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Shouldn't have anything to do with it, imo.
Agreed, but that's the way it is in this world. Not just in hockey, but in all of society.

In a perfect world, they would go on how seriously Moore could have been hurt, not how badly he was hurt. IMO.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Timmy1973

There's a poll on TSN asking how many game Todd's suspension should be. As of now, 36% of the people think it should be 15 games or less. That's barely a slap on the wrist if you asked me.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy1973
There's a poll on TSN asking how many game Todd's suspension should be. As of now, 36% of the people think it should be 15 games or less. That's barely a slap on the wrist if you asked me.
Could they be biased Canucks fans? Most likely.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:48 PM
HABitual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
I don't think there is anything he can say to help his case.

I think the best way for him to handle this is just to take whatever he gets without protesting and then serve his suspension without saying anything and then get back to playing without saying anything.
IF he plays again. He should take his suspension like a man. Just like Moore took HIS punishment like a man.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Shouldn't have anything to do with it, imo. I'm not saying it doesn't, but that it shouldn't. Dishing out punishment based on the result, rather than on the basis of how stupid, vicious or reckless conduct is, is bad policy. I push a guy into the boards from behind and he separates his shoulder. I get a game misconduct and the league leaves it at that because the guy's going to be back in 2 weeks. The next week, I do it again to another guy, but this time the victim goes into the boards at a weird angle and snaps his neck. Now I get 20 games because the guy went off on a cookie sheet? What I did was just as dangerous the first time. Should have been treated that way, because then the second incident would have been less likely to happen at all.
Yeah, I see it pretty much the same way. But two things - first of all, I think the NHL is acutely aware that they're under a microscope here. If they hand down 20 games, and it turns out Moore is permanently crippled, it's going to look bad for the league. For a lot of people, all they'll remember about this incident is that the NHL is the league that only suspends you for 20 games when you paralyze someone. I'm not saying that should be a factor in their decision - just that the NHL has been known to let lesser concerns than that influence their policymaking decisions.

Second, the league could make a very good case here that this is a special circumstance, requiring special consideration. When was the last time a player had his neck broken by a flagrant assault? Not just a cheap shot, but a bona-fide mugging. If they say they want to handle this one differently than other cases, they could make a good argument for it.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Mizral

15 games would be a slap on the wrist? That'd be about $1 million in salary, nevermind the games. I'm expecting 15 games, but to say that's a slap on the wrist is insane. It's not like he killed the kid.

I still maintain this isn't in the same league as the McSorely incident.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Superfluous U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy1973
Well, if you read the article, TSN presents it in such a way as to lead to that decision. Not everybody has watched the replay 50 times like some of us have. The article only discusses the punch, and briefly mentions Bertuzzi landed on him, without speculating if he meant to drive him into the ice or not (which is probably the right course for them to take). If you only consider the punch, its pretty much the same is earlier incidents like Johnson's with 12 game suspensions, so a lot of people are probably basing their judgement on that. Personally, I think Johnson should have gotten significantly more too, and I think this is far worse, so that says something about how long I think Bertuzzi should be suspended.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual
IF he plays again. He should take his suspension like a man. Just like Moore took HIS punishment like a man.

Agree about the suspension part, but this whole incident could've been avoided if Moore had faced the music on his actions instead of backing down from Ruutu, May, Bertuzzi, and Pronger. Not in any way condoning Bertuzzi's actions, they were dispicable to say the least, but Moore didn't exactly stand up like a man during that game. Neither did Bertuzzi though...

Old
03-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Wild Thing

The NHL has made their official announcement, and they've announced that there will be no announcment.

We'll get back to you

Quote:
3/10/2004

TORONTO (CP w/TSN.ca staff) - The NHL disciplinary hearing into Todd Bertuzzi's attack on Steve Moore ended early Wednesday afternoon but the league had no timetable for a decision on the Vancouver player's suspension.

"I have no time frame on when a decision might be made," said NHL vice-president of public relations Gary Meagher.

Old
03-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
It's not like he killed the kid.
Well, I guess you're right, because if he had killed him, he'd be spending THE NEXT 15 YEARS OF HIS LIFE IN JAIL FOR MANSLAUGHTER!!!

Just out of curiosity, what length of suspension would YOU give him had he killed him?

Old
03-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Absolut

Quote:
15 games would be a slap on the wrist? That'd be about $1 million in salary, nevermind the games.
What do Bertuzzi's lost earnings have to do with this?

Quote:
I'm expecting 15 games, but to say that's a slap on the wrist is insane. It's not like he killed the kid.
He sure tried. As I said in another thread - if Nikolishin didn't pull Bertuzzi off Moore, chances are Moore's injuries would have been worse. Although, I would say that neck fractures + concussion + facial laceration are pretty bad, no?

Quote:
All I can do is shake my head after reading your comments on the subject. I would think that even a devoted Canuck's fan would be able to see beyond club loyalties.

Last edited by Absolut: 03-10-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old
03-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
It's not like he killed the kid.
That's a pretty horrible statement. He damn near could have. He has a broken neck! You don't get much close to death than that.

Quote:
I agree -- It was WAY worse.

You are basically arguing that because he makes so much, 15 games is too much b/c it would be over 1 million dollars. Salary doesn't matter in this case. If a guy makes 1 million or 15, the punishment should be the same and should be more than 15 games.

Closed Thread