HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bertuzzi Hearing Results and Suspension Talk-- ALL goes here.

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
How is a Stick used as a weapon, striking the head of someone less than a punch to the head?
I agree. While its a horrible thing he did, it's hardly on par with the McSorley slash IMO. This doesn't really differs himself from the punch Matt Johnson gave Blake, the thing Niedermayed pulled on Domi or the Hatcher hit on Roenick in 1999. He will get between 10 and 20 games, fair punishment.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
15 games would be a slap on the wrist? That'd be about $1 million in salary, nevermind the games. I'm expecting 15 games, but to say that's a slap on the wrist is insane. It's not like he killed the kid.

I still maintain this isn't in the same league as the McSorely incident.
Prediction: Rest of this year & playoffs & 20 games in the next season.
And yes, it is worse than the Mcsqirrley incident because of the damage done, which must be taken into account for such a heinous act.
Oh, & by the way Peter, exactly how many guys is Moore supposed to fight as a result of Nucks seeking retribution because of a clean hit?

Old
03-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Appalling.
What is appaling?

Old
03-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Nobody needs a reason to throw a legal hit. You just do it. Hockey is a contact sport, for God's sake.
I hope you remember that when your star gets creamed and is injured for a long period of time because of it.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Havlat and Weight are far more guilty that Bertuzzi,
Wow. I just don't know what to say.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:24 PM
DarioinDenver

It looked to me that Bertuzzi intentionally pushed his face/neck down to the ice with force intentionally. I'd give Bertuzzi the benefit of the doubt if it was out of character for him but I saw him do something simular to Eric Messier in the playoffs to a much lesser degree by slaming his face into the ice with a forearm. I'd also be more willing to give Bertuzzi the benefit of the doubt if he didn't drop his stick reach back and sucker punch him from behind. I can understand why some fans would try to rationalize what Bertuzzi did in some way shape or form. But frankly, it is what it is and you can't sugar coat this one.

Old
Beiers

I find it funny how NO ONE is commenting on why moore was even on the ice........whats granato's IQ anyways?(joking)

Old
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
So then, how would you define the fight with Matt Cooke, in your books? Should Moore have had to fight the entire Vancouver Canucks team one after another? Would that have remedied the situation, a situationstarted by a hit that was deemed legal by the NHL?
I wouldn't really consider fighting Matt Cooke, a guy who has been accused of backing down from fights as well, as "paying the price" for taking liberties with the Canucks' star player. Obviously the Canucks felt the same way. If Moore had've gone with Ruutu, Pronger, or May, I seriously doubt we would be discussing this today. The Canucks wanted to see Moore squirm, to have some fear injected him from hitting Naslund. You mess with our star player and you'll pay the price, everyteam has that mentallity. I don't doubt that every other team in the league would've felt the same way if they were in the Canucks' situation. The hit may have been deemed legal, but you don't just sit idly by after your captain and star player has been knocked out, that's not how it works. Obviously Bertuzzi took it way too far, Moore shouldn't be in a hospital with the injuries he has. But if Moore had answered the bell with one of the Canucks' tough players I strongly believe none of this mess would've happened.

That said, I'm not condoning Bertuzzi's actions. I want to make that crystal clear.

Old
Jacob

Quote:
I hope you remember that when your star gets creamed and is injured for a long period of time because of it.
It's part of the game. If the hit is legal, there's not much to complain about.

But Naslund was out for all of 3 games. That's not a long period of time.

Old
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Wow. I just don't know what to say.
What do you mean... how is a punch to the head worse than a just as blantent stick to the head?

Old
03-10-2004, 03:25 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Your opinion.

Perhaps Bertuzzi should be informed on how much damage fists can do, or blindside punches to the head, or ramming faces onto ice can do. You think these types of valuable life lessons would have been taught to him earlier.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:26 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Havlat and Weight are far more guilty that Bertuzzi, because they KNEW what kind of damage their sticks could do.

How could Bertuzzi know he would knock him out?
Please just stop. You're making yourself look real bad.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:26 PM
Silver

I'm having trouble understanding why Moore's injuries shouldn't be considered. If I do something wreckless (shoot a gun up into the air in a public place) and no one gets hurt, I get charged. If I kill someone, the consequences go way up. It's the same thing with drunk driving. Explain to me why assault is any different?

Old
03-10-2004, 03:27 PM
V for Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
The Canucks wanted to see Moore squirm, to have some fear injected him from hitting Naslund. You mess with our star player and you'll pay the price, everyteam has that mentallity.
Did the Canucks not get the memo the first time these teams squared off?

Old
03-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beiers
What about T.Granato in this, what retard would put Moore on the ice in a blow out game where he already has a target on his back?
Who should he put out? It was a game that was dangerously out of control. He has a load of guys who shouldn't be out in that kind of situation. Moore was one of them. Sakic, Hejduk, Tanguay, Selanne, Konowalchuk, Blake, Foote, Liles, Morris, and Aebischer are a bunch more. He still needs to ice 6 players. Don't blame Granato for playing a checker up 8-2 in a game...sheesh.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-10-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Your opinion.

Perhaps Bertuzzi should be informed on how much damage fists can do, or blindside punches to the head, or ramming faces onto ice can do. You think these types of valuable life lessons would have been taught to him earlier.
And you think the Avs would've learned from their experiences with the Wings how ugly things cn get when you run up the score.

There is blame to be spread around.

Bertuzzi will get full justice, and he deserves it.

Let's hope Granato will learn to not dress a player in that situation again.

That Crow will tell his boys to focus on hockey and not revenge, as that gets you no where.

That Steve Moore makes a full recovery, as he should seeing as he can move all his extremeties.

That the NHL will throw away the most usesless rule... the instigator rule. If this does not exist, I guarantee 100% that what happened on Monday night, never ever happens!!

Last edited by Trottier: 03-10-2004 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Poster needs to keep it clean
Old
V for Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
I'm having trouble understanding why Moore's injuries shouldn't be considered. If I do something wreckless (shoot a gun up into the air in a public place) and no one gets hurt, I get charged. If I kill someone, the consequences go way up. It's the same thing with drunk driving. Explain to me why assault is any different?
There are no differences.

If you drive drunk and get pulled over, you lose your license.
If you drive drunk and kill a pedestrian, you lose your license and go to jail.

The severity of the injuries caused is a factor, just like it would be in real life.

Old
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Considering that was a close game, and not a 9-2 rout, I didn't expect the Canucks to want to get themselves into penalty trouble.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beiers
What about T.Granato in this, what retard would put Moore on the ice in a blow out game where he already has a target on his back?

Just a question, no excuse for bert's actions.

honestly he must feel like a goof as well.
Moore was on the ice because with the score 8-2, Granato is not going to use his star players much, especially since he must've known that things would get ugly (though I'm sure he had no idea how ugly).

If Granato had benched Moore for the remainder of the game, everyone would be calling the both of them a coward for protecting him.

Granato has every right to put Moore on the ice. He may have expected something to happen, but it's not like he could've ever predicted this.

Old
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie
The league deeming the hit legal has nothing to do with it.

Hammering Gretzky into the side boards still got you a Semenko-style beating.

I'm not saying that Moore should have hd to go through all takers on the Canucks, because he shouldn't have, I'm just saying that just because the NHL decides a hit is "legal" doesn't mean that the players are going to let marginal fringe players take headshots at captains.
You're completely missing the point. What I'm saying is that the level of response generated by Canucks players was unwarrented because the league deemed this a "clean hit".

I'm glad you brought up the Gretzky/Semenko era, because it helps to rove my point. Growing up an Oilers fan, I saw a few of these instances pre-instigator rule. Now you are correct that a player would receive a "beating" at the hands of the team goon, BUT... that's where it would end. The so called "eye for an eye".

My question to you (and others) is, when is the persuit of vengence complete? He already fought Matt Cooke in the SECOND meeting of the teams after the incident the incident occured. By the old "code" (as illustrated above), they were squared up.

So, again, when is the persuite of vengance complete?

Old
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
You mess with our star player and you'll pay the price, everyteam has that mentallity.
For gods sake quit crying. The hit was legal and it was Naslunds fault for putting his head down.

Quit crying.

Old
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
I agree. While its a horrible thing he did, it's hardly on par with the McSorley slash IMO. This doesn't really differs himself from the punch Matt Johnson gave Blake, the thing Niedermayed pulled on Domi or the Hatcher hit on Roenick in 1999. He will get between 10 and 20 games, fair punishment.
I think you mean Beukeboom, not Blake.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Please just stop. You're making yourself look real bad.
What an awesome argument... I have given proof of actions by players to support my theory.

You just come back with one liners.

You stop. You are embarassing yourself.

Create an I hate Todd board...

Last edited by Trottier: 03-10-2004 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Again, poster incapable of keeping it civil, clean and without personal attack. Try starting right now.
Old
03-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
That game was actually close and they needed the points. they only decided it was retribution time when the Avs were up 8-2.

Old
03-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Beiers

hmm would bertuzzi punch sakic or moore?

lets put on a player that is HIGHLY targeted........retarded!........who is gonna touch konawalchuk anyways....gimme a break!

Last edited by Trottier: 03-10-2004 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Please refrain from cursing or faux cursing: "****". Its board rules.
Closed Thread