HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Gretzky: Do you want him coaching the team next season?

View Poll Results: Do you want Wayne back as head coach?
Yes, I'd like to see him behind our bench again next season. 44 29.14%
No, I want a new head coach. 107 70.86%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Coyote_Fan

vCash: 500
Fire Gretzky?

Coyotes got blown out again for the umpteenth time this season and have been shut out countless other times. Is it time to fire Gretzky and bring in a real coach? Someone who can develop and motivate the kids. I never thought I'd say it but Gretzky has to go.

Coyote_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:29 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Break it down into pieces. The whole franchise is in turmoil, therefore the front office is in turmoil, therefore the dressing room is in turmoil and the players don't give a damn. Make sense as to why firing Gretz would be useless?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:50 AM
PhoenixCoyotes19

Send a message via MSN to PhoenixCoyotes19 Send a message via Yahoo to PhoenixCoyotes19
When Gretzky first got the Head Coaching job in Phoenix, I was estatic. First off I thougth it would get the Coyotes more attention from the media which it has. Second I thought the All time leading scorer being the Coyotes coach, what potential.

Now I start to question why do hire someone who has no previous coaching experience?

PhoenixCoyotes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:15 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<I gave him a Mulligan for 4 years since he had no coaching experience, but now I am Calling for his head.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:22 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
Coyotes got blown out again for the umpteenth time this season and have been shut out countless other times. Is it time to fire Gretzky and bring in a real coach? Someone who can develop and motivate the kids. I never thought I'd say it but Gretzky has to go.
Umpteenth? The Coyotes have been remarkably good defensively this season overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
Break it down into pieces. The whole franchise is in turmoil, therefore the front office is in turmoil, therefore the dressing room is in turmoil and the players don't give a damn. Make sense as to why firing Gretz would be useless?
I think you have your causal relationships misaligned.

It pains me to say so, but Gretzky has done nothing to prove himself as a coach. This team has talent and has played well defensively. Who would have thought that a Gretzky coached team -- complete with offensively skilled forwards -- would play more than solid defensively and struggle to score goals.

The Coyotes need someone to guide them offensively and devise a system for creating scoring chances. They do not have that now and they need it.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:32 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
The Coyotes need someone to guide them offensively and devise a system for creating scoring chances. They do not have that now and they need it.
ANY SYSTEM JUST A SYSTEM I DON'T CARE WHAT THAT IS

Old
02-08-2009, 02:40 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Umpteenth? The Coyotes have been remarkably good defensively this season overall.
Does Gretzky even deserve credit for it? Maybe we should make the Ulf Samuelson appreciation thread.

Also one thing I'm worried about is Michalek. Sure he seems to take his assignment/duty and he generally performs well. But I'm worried about him being overworked as a still relatively young player. I don't want him to flame out or lose heart and leave at the end of his contract.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:09 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Does Gretzky even deserve credit for it? Maybe we should make the Ulf Samuelson appreciation thread.
Honestly, I have no idea. I am not sure if that is good or bad.

Quote:
Also one thing I'm worried about is Michalek. Sure he seems to take his assignment/duty and he generally performs well. But I'm worried about him being overworked as a still relatively young player. I don't want him to flame out or lose heart and leave at the end of his contract.
He has been looking far more human the last few games. That is one of many things that worry me about the current skid.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:02 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
He should be fired but he isn't going to be. The whole experiment of him being coach isn't working out and Maloney and everyone else has to recognize that. Someone like Ted Nolan would be PERFECT for this team.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:03 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
He should be fired but he isn't going to be. The whole experiment of him being coach isn't working out and Maloney and everyone else has to recognize that. Someone like Ted Nolan would be PERFECT for this team.
I was thinking more along the lines of bringing Torts back.

Old
02-08-2009, 09:15 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of bringing Torts back.
either one is fine....just get rid of TGO

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Chootoi

i really don't think torts is the guy for this team. torts is a screamer, and a guy that calls out his team in the media and gives up on his players when his team is losing. nolan is a guy that can coax kids and underachievers into performing. that's exactly what this team is right now.

in any case, nothing will happen. it's gretzky's team and wayne can do whatever wayne wants to do. if that means bringing in a 75 year old petr klima on a 100K salary and calling him an assistant associate personal golf club handler/ part time half assed offense coach, to have him show up once a week and show our right wingers how to improperly execute a dump & change... then that's what he's going to do.

can't we just sell gretzky and get this team back on its feet financially at the same time? where's peter pocklington when you need him?

Last edited by Chootoi: 02-08-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
if that means bringing in a 75 year old petr klima on a 100K salary and calling him an assistant associate personal golf club handler/ part time half assed offense coach, to have him show up once a week and show our right wingers how to improperly execute a dump & change... then that's what he's going to do.

Wow, good one. I never thought I'd hear Petr Klima's name on this forum!

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:40 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Well Gretz wont get fired we knew that when he signed on, but Gretz could step down, realizing he is in over his head. I just think Nolan is too much of a retread and can't help but think there is a fundamental flaw in him as to why he gets fired so abruptly. At least Torts has won a Cup.

Old
02-08-2009, 10:58 AM
MP

It's not that Gretzky will never be a good coach. I'm sure he'll get the hang of it eventually. It's that this team, at this point in its development, needs a good coach now, not "eventually."

Isn't Peter Laviolette still available? If I'm remembering correctly the kind of game Carolina played in its Cup year, he could be a good fit here.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Jakeman

Gretzky should stay within the organization but not as the coach , an excutive postion would be good.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:15 PM
LT

I feel for Gretz...I wish him success with this team. I don't know what it is about his team, they seem to work their butts off and still lose. They go on way too many losing streaks that just kill them and at the worst times. Personally I think it may be best to bring in a new coach. Maybe Pat Quinn could get these young kids to play better but I remember Toronto saying he was too old and couldn't do that there. Yet he has done well with Team Canada but those were short stints. I like him though.

I hope this team gets it's stuff together. I think Hanzel is gonna be a big hit for them but maybe someone steps up. I am worried about our goaltending though. Maybe it's time to give a young goaly a chance. It might spark the team.

LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:07 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Where is the option for HELL NO??

Last edited by HockeyAndTheSox: 02-28-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: MT is a dunce and an idiot, so I rescind my answer.
HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I know it won't happen, but Pat Quinn would be nice. He did great with the Canadian Juniors.

He and Gretz have worked together before during the Olympics. Adding him to the coaching staff would benefit the team, but perhaps undermine Gretzky as the Head coach especially if they start winning regularly.

Just a thought anyways. Quinn would come with a big ticket price though, I think.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyotes19 View Post
Now I start to question why do hire someone who has no previous coaching experience?
Come on, now, let's be fair about this. He had previously coached his son's little league baseball team.

No joke. That was the extent of his coaching experience before stepping into an NHL coaching position. That's ridiculous. You don't do that. The only reason he hasn't been exposed earlier is because he's got the built-in re-build excuse.

Did Carolina just say "sure, go ahead and give it a shot" to Ron Francis? No, they have him behind the bench learning from Paul Maurice. He's gaining experience.

I'd like Jeff Jackson please. Peter Laviolette would be nice, too. Both, well now, that would be fanstastic.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
ducky

Who's Jeff Jackson?

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Who's Jeff Jackson?
http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/...on_jeff00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Ja...e_hockey_coach)
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56933

As D1 fan, I am totally blown away by what he's done for that Notre Dame program. Just unbelievable work. The way these Coyotes have been playing, they'd probably get blown out by the Irish.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Not to mention the Key players on IR at the moment....

Old
02-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Fire Gretzky?

No.

Hire Quinn?

Hell no. He could not get the Leafs to do much right in his last stint. What makes you think he could turn this team around?

Hire Nolan?

As an assistant? I'd love it. Unfortunately, there has to be a side to him that we don't see. It is becoming very clear that he can coach, but that he wears out his welcome in a very short matter of time. I like Nolan but I'd be cautious in signing him if I were an NHL GM.
__________________________________________________ _______

This team is the second youngest in the league.

They just had injuries to two of their top 6 forwards (Rhino and Mueller), two of their top 4 defensemen (Morris and Sauer, who is still out) and lost a couple of serviceable depth guys (Tikhonov, Carcillo)... now Hanzal is out, who generally faces the top center of the opposition. Last night's game became really ugly once Hanzal was gone.

Anyone who had this squad pegged for the playoffs before the season, was way too much into the cool aid. Consistency had to be a problem with so many rookies and sophomores. It is not uncommon. Chicago looked just like it last season.

The Coyotes faithful *need* to have faith. This franchise is on the right track (on the ice), but success does not happen overnight in this league, especially in the Western Conference.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:38 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
The Coyotes faithful *need* to have faith. This franchise is on the right track (on the ice), but success does not happen overnight in this league, especially in the Western Conference.
We have faith. Loads of it.

What we also have is the league's second-worst powerplay - a powerplay which has gotten worse over the past year.

What we also have is an offense that is so easily stifled that our offensive output is barely better than the Wild's.

What we also have is an "impact" player whose impact this season has been negligible for a guy with his paycheck.

To generate a metaphor from the industry in which I work, Don Maloney is buying all of the top-line parts and components for our race car. Carbon fiber brakes that help the car stop on a dime; cutting-edge safety equipment that allows our driver to withstand huge G-loads in crashes; the best custom-crafted aero pieces for the body to help it slip through the air as slickly as possible. But our motor is down on power, and so no matter how deftly the car is driven or how tweaked out Maloney makes the chassis, it's not going to win a single race unless the rest of the contenders wreck out. We've got to fix the motor before we can think of going home with a trophy. The question is, why is the engine so weak? And who do we have that can fix it?

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote