HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gretzky: Do you want him coaching the team next season?

View Poll Results: Do you want Wayne back as head coach?
Yes, I'd like to see him behind our bench again next season. 44 29.14%
No, I want a new head coach. 107 70.86%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
Fire Gretzky?

No.

Hire Quinn?

Hell no. He could not get the Leafs to do much right in his last stint. What makes you think he could turn this team around?

Hire Nolan?

As an assistant? I'd love it. Unfortunately, there has to be a side to him that we don't see. It is becoming very clear that he can coach, but that he wears out his welcome in a very short matter of time. I like Nolan but I'd be cautious in signing him if I were an NHL GM.
__________________________________________________ _______

This team is the second youngest in the league.

They just had injuries to two of their top 6 forwards (Rhino and Mueller), two of their top 4 defensemen (Morris and Sauer, who is still out) and lost a couple of serviceable depth guys (Tikhonov, Carcillo)... now Hanzal is out, who generally faces the top center of the opposition. Last night's game became really ugly once Hanzal was gone.

Anyone who had this squad pegged for the playoffs before the season, was way too much into the cool aid. Consistency had to be a problem with so many rookies and sophomores. It is not uncommon. Chicago looked just like it last season.

The Coyotes faithful *need* to have faith. This franchise is on the right track (on the ice), but success does not happen overnight in this league, especially in the Western Conference.
It was just time for him to move on. After that long of a time players stop responding. Happens all the time to the best coaches. The team also got "old".

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:05 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensyotes71 View Post
This team basically needs Michel Therrien. I know he's been under a lot of scrutiny in Pittsburgh this year (I should know, i've been calling for his resignation for a while). The thing with Therrien is that his system only works for a few years... but he's really good with making young guys and underachievers perform...
No thanks. Therrien can get lost. The last thing we need is a whiny ***** who can't get a playoff spot out of a lineup filled with superstar talent.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:20 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

I cannot have faith in a team with a poor on-ice product AND no financial stability. I'm too much of a realist, and know that both of those conditions cannot exist for long.

This team needs a victory SOMEWHERE(could be financially like a new investor to keep the team in town), and fast. Not a shallow moral victory of knowing that the plan is in place, the prospects are on the right track, etc etc etc.

That crap flew in 2004-2006. Doesn't anymore.

This is part of the reason I don't think they can afford to be sellers either. If they sell assets; I can't see them competing next season either. They are totally banking on this team almost 100% intact + a few prospects busting out. If they lose a key piece to FA or trade, but have a prospect break out it comes out to be about a wash and then they are still in the same place.

Next season/off season
So Basically I think these things need to happen in order of importance.
1. A financial win to act as a vote of confidence.
2. Draft selections bearing fruit.
3. Retain current assets for the most part.
4. Continue to look for low cost / high value like Sauer

1 and 2 have to happen, period. 3 is sort of important. I think they can only afford to lose one of these three guys: Jokinen, Reinprecht, Morris. Preferably none. If all 3 go you can chuck next season too as a top 8 pick.

Whichever one they lose it has to be replaced by FA otherwise #2 is a wash. We need to build not stagnate. Thus #4 becomes more important if we lose one of those pieces. The reason I say this is because if we were to trade Jokinen, the assets in return would most likely not be impact assets for next season and I don't think they would spend that money without a win on #1 and stagnation would ensue.

Last off season we stagnated. At the time it was okay because we were earlier in the rebuild and now I think it is no longer acceptable. Vrbata/Jokinen = wash. Ballard/Sauer = Wash. Carcillo(6pts)/Boedker = Wash. Lisin/Kapanen = Wash (yes it seems silly but its true)

Now this stagnation wasn't even the Coyotes fault really, because think of it like this. If you take every stagnation move, but add the REAL Olli Jokinen who is a 75 pt player, this team is a playoff team. We should have had 2 PPG guys in Doan and Jokinen and a real top line. Instead this team is left with one good forward again, like always. I think they did everything they could and it just didn't pan out.

I think any coaching problems are negligible when in the end. If you take this team as it is currently constructed, even with an under performing Jokinen; but hypothetically add the Carcillo we saw two years ago, and a 50-60 point player in KT, you have a playoff team. I am 100% convinced of this.

Now then the problem becomes, well what if crap doesn't go down the way we think it will? Like Jokinen. Lets say We keep our assets and KT and Carcillo DO come around. But all the sudden Jovo gets hurt, and Mueller regresses even further. Then you are screwed. So now I'm thinking that #4 becomes even more important.

Not only do they have to retain assets or replace them equally. I think they have to add one more lowcost/highvalue through FA to ENSURE some on ice success. This is why the #1 financial win is important, otherwise they can't do ANY of this and will stagnate or decline. Now there are no guarantees because anything can happen; but they have to at least keep this team as it is constructed and have some new positive force without losing one of their current positives otherwise we will be right here again next year.

/book

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
CoyotesJetsFan

I am not sure firing Gretzky is the answer but something has to give. I can't get excited about this team this year. I liked last year's team a lot better. Maybe it was the "us against the world mentality" and low expectations but I think that team tried harder. The role players were much better and the goal tending seem to come up big when we needed it. I think this years team has a lot more talent but they seem to be missing that energy or drive to win. Maloney has preached getting better each month but this team has not. What's up with the constant shuffling back and forth with San Antonio? I think that hurts continuity. Injuries are playing a big part. Sauer was much more important than I thought...Hale is much worse and Jokinen is unimpressive. I hope to see some fire soon but it's hard to stare at my $11,000 invoice for playoff tickets and renew for next year with the current results.

DJ

CoyotesJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:43 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesJetsFan View Post
Hale is much worse

DJ
I think with Hale, we have to realize that even though he blows a few plays a game, the overall defense corps is solid. Who would have though that this team without Boynton and Ballard would have any defense to speak of. I surely didn't.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:34 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesJetsFan View Post
I am not sure firing Gretzky is the answer but something has to give. I can't get excited about this team this year. I liked last year's team a lot better. Maybe it was the "us against the world mentality" and low expectations but I think that team tried harder. The role players were much better and the goal tending seem to come up big when we needed it. I think this years team has a lot more talent but they seem to be missing that energy or drive to win. Maloney has preached getting better each month but this team has not. What's up with the constant shuffling back and forth with San Antonio? I think that hurts continuity. Injuries are playing a big part. Sauer was much more important than I thought...Hale is much worse and Jokinen is unimpressive. I hope to see some fire soon but it's hard to stare at my $11,000 invoice for playoff tickets and renew for next year with the current results.

DJ
Don Maloney is doing his job. There is enough talent on this team to get us into the playoffs and possibly do some damage there.

The problem is clearly coaching. Our offensive system is disgustingly pridictable and easy to defend, and our defense allows teams to enter our defensive zone WAY too easily. This team often looks unprepared and unmotivated. And if Gretzky is in the locker room repeating the same crap over and over like he does in the press conferences, there's no way the players are listening. A coaching change would make all the difference in the world.

And just so we're clear, the "we're a young team" excuse is ********. If you look at another young team like Chicago and the difference in their play before and after the coaching change this season, the difference is night and day.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
ducky

A real concern is the Mueller injury. This franchise cannot afford him to be out long term - whether he is not progressing as quickly as we hoped or not.

ANY word on him? Is he even skating yet?

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Coyote_Fan

ok firing Gretzky may be harsh, but he needs to get a really experienced assistant coach. One he wont run off like Barry Smith.

Coyote_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:09 AM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
ok firing Gretzky may be harsh, but he needs to get a really experienced assistant coach. One he wont run off like Barry Smith.
Why is it harsh? What exactly has he done that makes people think that he deserves to stay?

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:45 AM
CitizenCoyote

I have no idea if Gretzky is the problem.

But at this point, I don't care. The Detroit Red Wing game really bugged me. Seeing him go balistic after the penalty, I just knew the Red Wings would score. Act like nothing matters. Teach your players to win in spite of the refs.

I know this is a little thing, but what's the downside to firing him? I don't see one. Something needs to happen. Just selling at the trade deadline and picking up more "hope" for the future, only to have another February swoon next year is where we're headed anyway. Why not shake things up.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:58 AM
PhoenixCoyotes19

Send a message via MSN to PhoenixCoyotes19 Send a message via Yahoo to PhoenixCoyotes19
Here's my full opinion.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...y-to-step-down

PhoenixCoyotes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:26 PM
knowsthegame

We all know that TGO loves coaching the yotes, is in the position to do it whether he is successful or not, and is being paid handsomely for doing it.
He will never step down.
Gretsky forever.
Unfortunately, we also know that under normal circumstances he would have been fired 2 years ago.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
PhoPhan

Once again, we do not know "he is being paid handsomely" to coach this team.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:46 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Once again, we do not know "he is being paid handsomely" to coach this team.
Of course we do. All NHL coaches get paid "handsomely."

Only thing we don't know is how much more handsomely he's being paid than his peers.

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Jake16

We're not "firing" Gretzky.

1. For one, he's part owner. If he thinks it best, he will step aside.
2. Probably more importantly, this teams is using Gretzky to try to broker a sale to new investors. Under such circumstances, I'd be shocked if the team did anything to alienate Gretzky or distance his role with the team.
3. If money is tight and they are showing the balance sheet to new prospective investors, adding a hefty contract like a top level coach would demand (close to 1M/year) does not exactly help in that regard.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
ParisSaintGermain

I would not fire Wayne, not that he does not deserve it but simply because I don't think it would make a difference for the end of this season. As a team, we have a very short roster and the accumulation of injuries is becoming impossible to overcome whatever the coach. I would let the season finish and re-assess both playing and coaching staff before the draft.

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Coyote_Fan

I dunno if it was in any of those links above but I've heard that Gretzky makes $5 million a year. Plus he gets his owner money. And he isnt responsible for any of the financial losses.

Old
02-12-2009, 01:10 AM
yakko

Quote:
I dunno if it was in any of those links above but I've heard that Gretzky makes $5 million a year. Plus he gets his owner money. And he isnt responsible for any of the financial losses.
Oh yeah? Did you hear that from a bird?

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Coyote_Fan

I think it was Gambo so take that for what its worth. It was definitely one of the local talk show guys.

Old
02-12-2009, 01:33 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
I think it was Gambo so take that for what its worth. It was definitely one of the local talk show guys.
It was 2 months ago and Gambo claimed on a multitude of occasions it's $7mill, we have yet to back that figure up any further. We all agree if it's $7m he is way over paid and is the stupidest move in team history.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:59 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain View Post
I would not fire Wayne, not that he does not deserve it but simply because I don't think it would make a difference for the end of this season. As a team, we have a very short roster and the accumulation of injuries is becoming impossible to overcome whatever the coach. I would let the season finish and re-assess both playing and coaching staff before the draft.

Great post, I completely agree with you. The only thing is I can't understand why they keep pimping Hale, as well as the broadcasting team. It makes them look like they don't know what they're talking about. I'll use last night game as an example, Hale could of very easily made the game 4-1 dallas. He was making mistakes all over the ice and the coaching staff threw him out there with a minute left. Doesn't make sense to me at all. That's what really concerns me, they rarely give the minutes to who deserves it at the end of the game.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 11:57 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I think tonights game hammers home the point of this thread. 3 different teams showed up in 3 different periods. Bryz is over worked, Jokinin is god knows where, By my account we had 6 different guys playing center in one game:

Doan, Jokinin, Perault, Tiki, Winnik, Rhino

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
It was 2 months ago and Gambo claimed on a multitude of occasions it's $7mill, we have yet to back that figure up any further. We all agree if it's $7m he is way over paid and is the stupidest move in team history.
Perhaps more truth to it?

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/se...rtsHockey/home

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:14 AM
PhoPhan

Just once I'd like to see some of these claims sourced.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:15 AM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Looks like the Suns are going to fire Porter. Why can't the Coyotes follow the lead. Something must be done. Gretzky, quit being so damned stubborn and demote yourself already. You will only gain more of my respect if you do so!!!!!!!

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote