HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Gretzky: Do you want him coaching the team next season?

View Poll Results: Do you want Wayne back as head coach?
Yes, I'd like to see him behind our bench again next season. 44 29.14%
No, I want a new head coach. 107 70.86%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Jakeman

vCash: 500
I don't want gretzky to be the coach next season but I also don't blame him for the players terriable play of late.Gretzky should move to a different capcity within the team. The yotes need a proven coach.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:03 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Despite my earlier calls to step aside, he might serve a useful function to pool a new owner(s) and that trumps coaching at this point. Ulf and Sulliman-der need to go and we need fresh new assistant coaches if TGO is to stay. Incl. someone specifically assigned to Special Teams and No Panic Yanic back to teach face offs. I would give him 1 last season. Just seems to me that the Coach is always reactive and fixes one problem but turns his back on another. i.e. Face Offs, we have gotten a little better, but what we do with it after we win has slide.
I don't totally disagree with all of your points but let me just say that I hope the investor that they eventually find is not dumb enough to think that Gretzky behind the bench is a good idea. I hope someone who is a smart business man buys into this team and it is just plain good business to have a winning team in this market.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:15 PM
PhoPhan

As has been mentioned, I'd be more in favor of replacing guys like Sulliman and Fuhr. I'm still on the fence about Gretzky.

On one hand, even though they were a bit of a paper tiger, the Coyotes were in fifth place only a few weeks ago and it took a huge rash of injuries for them to come tumbling down.

On the other hand, the problems that plague this team -- namely the issues with lineup turnover, inconsistent lines and inappropriate powerplay lineups -- don't seem to have gotten better at all during Gretzky's tenure.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:20 PM
yotesrock

he could be Ass. coach...maybe the Ass. coach can be head coach, or aint he any better

yotesrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:50 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
As has been mentioned, I'd be more in favor of replacing guys like Sulliman and Fuhr. I'm still on the fence about Gretzky.

On one hand, even though they were a bit of a paper tiger, the Coyotes were in fifth place only a few weeks ago and it took a huge rash of injuries for them to come tumbling down.

On the other hand, the problems that plague this team -- namely the issues with lineup turnover, inconsistent lines and inappropriate powerplay lineups -- don't seem to have gotten better at all during Gretzky's tenure.
Would that be a yes or a no -it sounds like both and neither

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesrock View Post
he could be Ass. coach...maybe the Ass. coach can be head coach, or aint he any better
He already is ass coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Now that I'm not feeling angsty and vindictive about another loss, and against my better judgment, I would give him one more year. But the assistant coaches all have to go, if there are better options available.
One more year? Aw shucks, lets give him 2 more years.

Last edited by PhoPhan: 02-15-2009 at 08:57 PM.
knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

I still don't think I've ever called for TGO to be fired even in anger. I'm not sure that is the answer when a guy like Jokinen is vastly under performing.

I have no problem with Ulf. The other assistants can go.

I think in an ideal world I would want a new coach simply because this team cannot afford NOT to try a new coach. They need something to light a fire or something to change the culture IE the Whiz with the Cards.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:38 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Therien was fired, get him...he is good with kids.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:57 PM
doaner

Quote:
That came out a little creepy!

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:58 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
Would that be a yes or a no -it sounds like both and neither
Hence: "I'm still on the fence."

Old
02-15-2009, 09:16 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Hence: "I'm still on the fence."
How many more losses, Pho, to get you off the fence?

Old
02-15-2009, 09:20 PM
PhoPhan

It's not just about wins and losses. There are certain things I'd like to see him do that he hasn't done yet. Offering some kind of arbitrary timetable is kind of pointless, don't you think? My question to you is: how many wins to get you off his case?

Old
02-15-2009, 09:34 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
It's not just about wins and losses. There are certain things I'd like to see him do that he hasn't done yet. Offering some kind of arbitrary timetable is kind of pointless, don't you think? My question to you is: how many wins to get you off his case?
One winning season would be a good start. Gretsky still being coach with his losing record is precedent setting. Look at todays firing of Michel Terrien -he took the Penguins to the cup final last year, but they are struggling to make the playoffs right now and MADE THE CHANGE.
I don't think there is an NHL coach ever that has Gretsky's won/lost record and is still coaching.
Yes, I know he is a managing partner, and I'm not even going to discuss his salary, and yes, I was a huge Gretsky (the player) fan, but I do feel strongly that he should step down as coach for the bettterment of the team. He is a hockey icon and a great name for the franchise, but please-we know we need someone new (else) behind the bench.

Old
02-15-2009, 09:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Hell to the no. Get a system. One that works, and a guy who can make the players buy in. Jeff Jackson. Perhaps after he leads Notre Dame to an NCAA championship this season, he'll be ready for a new challenge. The man has done it all, and had remarkable success everywhere he goes. A real knack for turning around troubled, struggling teams. His resume is extremely impressive when you look at wins and losses before and after his arrival in various oganizations and programs.

If NHL head coaching experience is an absolute must, than go with Peter Laviolette. Exciting, up-tempo, offensive system. The guy knows how to utalize talented players, and brought the Stanley Cup to Carolina just a few years ago.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 09:47 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
... I was a huge Gretsky (the player) fan,...
I'm not so sure.

Old
02-15-2009, 10:01 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm not so sure.
What is the point of your comment? Do you have any meaningful comments on the topic?

Old
02-15-2009, 10:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
What is the point of your comment? Do you have any meaningful comments on the topic?
It was a joke. You'd think someone who was a "huge fan" of Wayne Gretzky would be able to spell his name correctly. I thought it was kind of funny and was just poking a little fun. I can't spell for ****, either, so don't take it personally. As for meaningful comments, well, anyone who's spent any time around here ought to know that those aren't my specialty. Anyway, I started the damn thread. I also said specifically in the original post that I wasn't really interested in comments, as there is already a fire Gretzky thread ongoing. This was just meant as a poll, to see, numbers-wise, where the board stands on the issue.

Old
02-15-2009, 10:09 PM
LetsGoCoyotes

Quote:
He was pointing out your spelling gaff. Relax.

LetsGoCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:29 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
If NHL head coaching experience is an absolute must, than go with Peter Laviolette. Exciting, up-tempo, offensive system. The guy knows how to utalize talented players, and brought the Stanley Cup to Carolina just a few years ago.
Unfortunately, as long as Gretzky is in some way involved with this organization, you can count on a name coach. He's proven himself to not be much of a risktaker and certainly nothing if not a traditionalist. See: his insistence on dressing a goon, the jerseys, the offensive system in general. He's not big on thinking outside the box, which is probably my biggest complaint.

Old
02-15-2009, 11:01 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Hell to the no. Get a system. One that works, and a guy who can make the players buy in. Jeff Jackson. Perhaps after he leads Notre Dame to an NCAA championship this season, he'll be ready for a new challenge. The man has done it all, and had remarkable success everywhere he goes. A real knack for turning around troubled, struggling teams. His resume is extremely impressive when you look at wins and losses before and after his arrival in various oganizations and programs.

I don't know about an NCAA Coach in the NHL, College coaches have almost always been a failure in the transition to the NFL & NBA. (except Larry Brown) Just something about coaching college kids that have to balance academics and practice doesn't translate.

Old
02-15-2009, 11:08 PM
AZCOYOT

Yes, if he can get us an investor, the team could be last every single year

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:09 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
He was pointing out your spelling gaff. Relax.
and it wasn't me ya'll were harassing for spelling....

Old
02-15-2009, 11:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I don't know about an NCAA Coach in the NHL, College coaches have almost always been a failure in the transition to the NFL & NBA. (except Larry Brown) Just something about coaching college kids that have to balance academics and practice doesn't translate.
He's aslso coached OHL, USNTDP, Team USA Olympics, and the New York Islanders.

Many NHL coaches start in juniors, which is similar to the NCAA in that it's essentially and amateur league for young kids. Todd McLellan started out in the Saskatchewan Junior League. Claude Julien started out in the QMJHL. Mike Babcock started out coaching at a college in Red Deer Alberta before moving to the WHL. He then went back to coach another Canadian University, and then back to the WHL. Brent Sutter started out coaching the Red Deer Rebels in the WHL.

I'm not just pulling names out of a hat, here. These are the head coaches of the current four best teams in the NHL, the Sharks, the Bruins, the Red Wings and the Devils.

This is actually pretty typically how one becomes an NHL head coach. You generally go from amateur(whether that be NCAA, Major Junior, or Canadian Collegiate hockey) to minor pro(ECHL, UHL, CHL, AHL, ect.) to the NHL.

Hockey is not football or basketball.

Oh, and back to Jeff Jackson. Actually take a minute to mull over his coaching career...

Quote:
Jackson got his start in college hockey at Lake Superior State University in 1986, where he worked with Frank Anzalone, helping lead the Lakers to one CCHA championship, and the 1988 NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship. When Anzalone left the Lakers in 1990, Jackson was promoted to head coach.

In his six years as head coach with Lake Superior, from 1990-1996, Jackson led the team six consecutive NCAA appearances, including three straight trips to the finals from 1992-1994, and winning the 1992 and 1994 championships.

Jackson stepped down as head coach of Lake Superior to become the national coach and senior director of the newly founded U.S. National Team Development program, based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. In his first season, he guided the U.S. Junior National Team to a silver medal in the 1997 World Junior Championships. Jackson was also an assistant coach for Team USA at the 1998 Winter Olympics.

He left the U.S. National Team in 2000 to become the head coach of the Guelph Storm in the Ontario Hockey League. Jackson led the Storm to a 16 point improvement from the previous season, as Guelph finished in second place in the Midwest Division. In the 2001-02 season, Guelph improved once again, as they earned 82 points, finishing in second place once again in the Midwest Division, and hosted the 2002 Memorial Cup, advancing to the tie-breaker game, where they lost to the Victoriaville Tigres. Jackson began the 2002-03 with the Storm, however, the team struggled and Jackson was replaced midway through the season. He had a record of 87-67-24-4 during his time in Guelph.

Jackson moved on to the New York Islanders of the National Hockey League in 2003-04, as he was hired by Islanders head coach Steve Stirling to work on his staff. The Islanders had a successful season, earning 91 points and a trip to the playoffs, however, they were eliminated by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round. Jackson remained with the club during the cancelled 2004-05 NHL season.

In 2005, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish hired Jackson to turn around their hockey team, which had a tough 2004-05 season, in which the Irish had a record of 5-27-6. In his first year in Notre Dame, Jackson helped the team to a 13-19-4 record, which was a fourteen point improvement over the previous season. In 2006-07, the Fighting Irish set numerous team records, including overall wins (32) and CCHA wins (21) as Notre Dame captured their first ever CCHA regular season and tournament championships. The Irish advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second time in school history, and earned their first ever tournament win. Jackson was awarded the CCHA Coach of the Year and the Spencer Penrose Award as the National Coach of the Year. Notre Dame had another strong season in 2007-08, and advanced to the NCAA Championship for the second straight season. The Fighting Irish upset the #1 seed University of New Hampshire 7-3 in their first game, followed by a 3-1 victory over Michigan State to advance to the Frozen Four for the first time in school history. Notre Dame stayed hot, and defeated the #1 seeded Michigan Wolverines 5-4 in overtime to advance to their first ever berth in the final. Boston College would win the championship, as they defeated Notre Dame 4-1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Jackson_(ice_hockey)

Old
02-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I think I'm on the same fence as Pho! Though I can say I wouldn't answer yes to this question unless I had a pretty good idea who was going to replace TGO.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:38 AM
2yotesfans88

vCash: 300
i say keep him.

but i also said keep denny savard as coach of chicago. growing up a hawk fan i was shocked. i thought how could you do that? it wont matter with that team. once the young talent gets going they will be just fine.blah blah...well now they are sitting on 70 pts. so what the heck do i know?

so i guess its really more of is gretzky doing the best possible with this team. I question player development. IE turris. IE mueller. i think his knowlege and experience of the game is second to none...but does that translate to a good head coach.

in my opinion i would like to see wayne back for a few more years. but what i like and whats best prob not the same thing

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
LetsGoCoyotes

Can those of you who would like to see Gretzky stay elaborate at all on how he has performed well as a coach?

This team has not improved in one area in his tenure, except talent, and that's hardly due to TGO. Unless you credit him for the crappy hockey that has delivered us the Turris and Boedker picks.

LetsGoCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote