HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gretzky: Do you want him coaching the team next season?

View Poll Results: Do you want Wayne back as head coach?
Yes, I'd like to see him behind our bench again next season. 44 29.14%
No, I want a new head coach. 107 70.86%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-16-2009, 10:12 AM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I firmly believe this team is so close to breaking out and the only thing holding them back is coaching. Fix coaching and the play and consistency of this team will be so much better.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:55 AM
PHX FireBirds18

I would say keep him for next season. IMO this is the only team that Gretz has had during his coaching tenure that has had enough talent to make the playoffs. They were in the 5th seed not to long ago until key injuries happened to very important players. I would even say last year he did a hell of a job. I realize people have there concerns, as do I but I think there needs to be some blame on a bunch of people other than Gretz. We start having the same issues next year we can bring up this conversation again.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

yes Rt, but Jr and the NCAA are different, How many coaches have gone directly from NCAA to the NHL? Without an interim of assistant coaching or AHLesq coaching position? Look I don't follow College Hockey after we got screwed by you know whom, so I don't know much about this guy your talking about. I think in the NCAA the coach has to be 1 part GM and 1 part Coach 1 part Advisor 1 part Parent, In the pro's it's a different beast, give the team and inch and they will walk all over you and you will loose the respect of your team (case in point Terry Porter) . I know that Hockey is different than Basketball and Football, but perhaps their is a reason why college coaches don't translate directly to the big league. I would rather a coach with prior pro experience, after TGO no more experiments.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
How many coaches have gone directly from NCAA to the NHL?.
Badger Bob Johnson. (Univ of Wisconsin to Calgary)

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Alamo

Look The same exact **** is happening this season that it did last, Complete Free fall

Worst PP in the league
Inconsistent line combos
Turnovers

There are several minor issues but i honestly think the only reason we made 5th place this year was due to raw talent of the players.

Look its obvious he is not getting it done. Any other coach would have been fired already... We need to make the playoffs to help the money issue. As long as gretz is here, All we can count on is a good draft pick.

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
Look The same exact **** is happening this season that it did last, Complete Free fall

Worst PP in the league
Inconsistent line combos
Turnovers

You're right. I keep looking for Nagy out there.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
yes Rt, but Jr and the NCAA are different, How many coaches have gone directly from NCAA to the NHL? Without an interim of assistant coaching or AHLesq coaching position?
Look, I don't want to be a dick here, but dude...READ. He's already coached in juniors as well as in the NHL-THE NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE. I mentioned that in the first sentence of my last post.

Quote:
Look I don't follow College Hockey after we got screwed by you know whom, so I don't know much about this guy your talking about.
That's why I conveniently left you his entire resume to have a look at. BTW, that POS didn't screw us over until this summer. Notre Dame was in the championship game months before. The turn around of that program was nothing short of remarkable. Maybe you really only followed the WCHA, but anyone who'd paid any attention to the CCHA over the last several years has to be amazed. Notre Dame was pathetic. Now they are the class of the nation. We're talking about three years, here. Just three years.

As I asked you to do in my last post...
Quote:
Actually take a minute to mull over his coaching career...
Quote:
I think in the NCAA the coach has to be 1 part GM and 1 part Coach 1 part Advisor 1 part Parent.
You are going to have to explain to me how a college coach and a major junior coach are really all that different.

Quote:
In the pro's it's a different beast, give the team and inch and they will walk all over you and you will loose the respect of your team (case in point Terry Porter) . I know that Hockey is different than Basketball and Football, but perhaps their is a reason why college coaches don't translate directly to the big league. I would rather a coach with prior pro experience, after TGO no more experiments.
Once again, if we're going to have a discussion about this, please actually read my responses. At least the first sentence of my last one.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

Worst PP in the league
Inconsistent line combos
Turnovers

There are several minor issues but i honestly think the only reason we made 5th place this year was due to raw talent of the players.

Look its obvious he is not getting it done. Any other coach would have been fired already... We need to make the playoffs to help the money issue. As long as gretz is here, All we can count on is a good draft pick.
This, to me, is one of the most important points that can be made about the subject.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:33 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Look its obvious he is not getting it done. Any other coach would have been fired already.
This is so true.
All of you guys that want him back need to ask yourself if you would feel that way if the coach's name wasn't Wayne Gretsky - (I spelled it right)
If it were anyone else, he would have been fired ages ago.
You guys are affording him special treatment because of who he is, and he is doing the same thing.
Look around the league and tell me if it isn't so.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
Wayne Gretsky - (I spelled it right)
It's in the thread title, at the top of your page, when you're posting a reply.

Old
02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

RT you know Jr's 100 time more than I ever will, but is a Jr coach do you have to play GM? as you have to recrute in NCAA? Don't Junior kids have saroget family's they live with that help fill that family void? IDK?

Sorry I didn't take better care to read your post, my damn Sister was screaming in my ear as I was typing.

Look maybe the guy will work maybe not, I would just feel more comfortable with someone that is either currently a prominent Assistant Coach (ala Todd McLellan) or maybe a retread. I don't have strong opinions who that could be.

Old
02-16-2009, 03:37 PM
ParisSaintGermain

I hesitated for a while (by respect to Gretzky) then decided to vote for a new head coach.

I don't think the team has progressed too much under Wayne's tenure and I have had enough of some aspects of the game currently offered by the Coyotes. The dump and chase, the constant line juggling, the powerplay...

Thie franchise is obviously having a hard time financially and has little or no identity at this stage. Maybe this is an opportunity to be a little innovative and to think outside the box. Finding somebody from a different background, with a different philosophy on how the hockey can be played. Somebody from the 21st century, who could take and teach younger players while also ignite the veterans. (Sadly I have no names to provide, I am ignorant!).

We have quality youngsters and we have also been able to get excellent pick ups in trade. Maloney is a great GM and is a great fit for this franchise. San Antonio is doing well and seems relatively stable, something we have not hadfor a while. Maybe Ireland could be involved in some sort of capacity (assistant?) as he knows all the young guys and seems to understand what make them tick.

Ultimately I am just fed up of chasing playoffs shadows and I would not be upset if, as a franchise, we started next season with a statement: 'We are young, we are modern, who knows if we will make the playoffs or not but we are going to be a very exciting team to watch ".

I know it is completly random, but the chase of the playoffs is as much hypothetical as the chase of a new investor. So lets just focus on what we got, lets not pretend that we have any history because we don't have any of any kind of relevence and lets just go young, cheap and creative. And no organ player please, we ain't at the Yankee stadium !

ParisSaintGermain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
RT you know Jr's 100 time more than I ever will, but is a Jr coach do you have to play GM? as you have to recrute in NCAA? Don't Junior kids have saroget family's they live with that help fill that family void? IDK?
No, teams have GMs. Coaches do have to do some "recruiting", however. There is a draft, but you have to actually convince some kids to come to your team. Yes, many kids live with billets. However, I'm not exactly sure what having to be more of a disciplinarian has to do with making you a weaker head coach.

Quote:
Sorry I didn't take better care to read your post, my damn Sister was screaming in my ear as I was typing.
No worries. Most of my posts are a lot longer than they need to be. I repeat myself a lot, and I understand that I'm a difficult read.

Quote:
Look maybe the guy will work maybe not, I would just feel more comfortable with someone that is either currently a prominent Assistant Coach (ala Todd McLellan) or maybe a retread. I don't have strong opinions who that could be.
Fair enough. Jackson isn't a current assistant coach in the NHL. He was a former assistant coach, but I wouldn't call him prominant one. He didn't win the cup with the Islanders like McLellan did with the Wings, or anything. Though, he was around for the couple of years the Islanders didn't suck in the last decade.

Old
02-16-2009, 11:12 PM
CoyoteSunDevil

Coyotes: A team that's "Growing"

I've heard that i don't know how many times. I really dont get it. How are we "growing" if we were 5th before the ASB, to losing 9 out of 10. How is that "GROWING" as the season progresses. Our young guys are getting experience. Great, what were they getting when we beat Detroit and were up to 5th place? A pat on the ass? Im just tired of hearing this, we are finding every single way to lose a game right now, and quite honest, it's complete in these guys' heads right now. You can see it in their faces.

CoyoteSunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Rbenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2356 View Post
This team has some good solid young talent but they are horribly coached. I have never seen a team that changes up on offensive breaks so often. They are afraid to shoot looking for the perfect shot. They never sustain an offensive rush. No one sets up in front of the net. They can't pass or accept a pass. Their power play is horrendous.

Its all about coaching. The Gretzky experiment is over. He was supposed to help draw fans. He is so fan unfriendly. He must go NOW
Dang, my exact words!

They always change it up once they get the puck from their defensive zone. I'm sure, Gretzky's arguement will be, 'stick with the system', if its time to change, it's time to change, regardless if you have a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 2. Thus, the offensive rush is non-existent.

Their always tentative in shooting. I'm sure in the back of their heads, they're thinking about what Gretzky will say when they get to the bench - 'should've pass it to so and so'

Also, your comment on can't give a pass and can't receive a pass. Most good passes seem to just bounce off, and most other passes (the bad ones), well, are bad ones -can't get to, or if one get's it, they're in no man's land once they receive it.

Coaching needs to change. We have a BETTER than average group of talent that needs to be coached the proper way. Hopefully Gretzky realizes this, and steps down. Don't get me wrong, I loved him as a player, but, something's gotta give.

Someone also posted that we should chant 'fi-re gretz-ky' in the games. I'm definitely for that, with a slight change though, since he probably won't get fired, we should all chant 'step-down gretz-ky' instead.

Sorry, but I'm really frustrated right now. Specially, about the fact that we won't be making the playoffs (again,) but this time, there's a big chance that we won't even get a top 5 pick in the draft.

Last edited by Rbenj: 02-17-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Rbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:48 PM
ducky

No coach should survive 5 years of missing the playoffs.

Even more troubling is the team has absolutley collapsed - again.

The coach has to be held accountable. He needs to step down to pursue "investment partners' or some such face saving move and replace with Pat Quinn for the remainder of the year.

Then GMDM needs to analyze the coaching situation and pick the best guy for a 2 year turn around. Oh how I wish we could convince a Sutter to come here.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2mon2 View Post
Sorry, but I'm really frustrated right now. Specially, about the fact that we won't be making the playoffs (again,) but this time, there's a big chance that we won't even get a top 5 pick in the draft.
You sure are controlled and thoughtful when you are frustrated. I may seem to be getting that way as well, but only because I have moved from frustrated to rather numb.

I can see sticking with Gretzky through this season, if only to have his name and some stability to show a new owner/investor. Otherwise, I would be all for getting rid of him as coach right away. He is not helping those kids develop at a critical time in their development.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:14 PM
indczn

Firing gretzky doesn't really accomplish anything at this point in the season. It's too late to make a push for the playoffs, and they might as well wait to see who is available in the off season. Also, gives new ownership input on the coaching situation.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
DesertDawg

Francis (who was coach of the year) went farther with a roster that was not as good as they have now...
even made the playoffs...
then was replaced by Gretz...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
Firing gretzky doesn't really accomplish anything at this point in the season. It's too late to make a push for the playoffs, and they might as well wait to see who is available in the off season. Also, gives new ownership input on the coaching situation.
Exactly. Nothing will happen re Gretz until the ownership issue is settled.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:44 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Exactly. Nothing will happen re Gretz until the ownership issue is settled.
I completely agree, I just wish it were not the case. The young players could really use a better teacher.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

They can't afford to fire him. They need him to resign.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 03:02 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I completely agree, I just wish it were not the case. The young players could really use a better teacher.
I actually think that teaching the young guys is his strength. Its motivating the vets and the X's and O's of the game is where he stinks at coaching.

Also, I agree that having him resign now is not the answer but when they find new ownership that should be their first order of business, finding a new coach.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Gambo is doing a segment on the Team and how bad TGO is - reiterated the $7mill figure yet again. their thesis WAYNE NEED TO GO!!!

Old
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

One question we need to ask ourselves while crying for Wayne's head on a platter...

...why are the Coyotes' players playing so sloppily?

If they change coaches, will that automatically solve the bad habits these guys have displayed over the past few years? Is Wayne the cause of these bad habits or is he simply incapable of changing them?

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote