HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Who on the Flames you would like to trade.

Old
02-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndraftedFreeAgent View Post
We would all love to have Bouwmeester here ,but he isn't going anywhere. Florida for the first time in I don't know how many years can get in the playoffs and the level of excitement ,the money and maybe even Jay-Bo taking in consideration re-signing with them will top any offer IMO
Florida can get into the playoffs if they deal Bouwmeester too. The can ask for some players back who can play now and make an impact, perhaps an upcoming UFA defensemen to replace some of Bouwmeester's minutes and 2-3 more assets.

Florida would be retarded not to trade him if they can't sign before March 4. You can't let an asset that valuable leave for nothing just in an attempt to make the playoffs, something they can probably manage without Bouwmeester if Martin makes the right deal.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
BearChi

says on ***********.com that Olli Jokinen could find himself with the flames
http://www.***********.com/index.php?page=rumors
Quote:
Phoenix now finds themselves last in the West, meaning bodies are about to fly. Derrick Morris is a target of the Buffalo Sabres, while Olli Jokinen is the target of many. Jokinen could find himself with the Flames or Sens when all is said and done.

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy4hart View Post
says on ***********.com that Olli Jokinen could find himself with the flames
http://www.***********.com/index.php?page=rumors
It will cost you quality for quality. Jokinen hasn't played as well as he is capable, part of this is do to some of the coyotes injuries and part of it is he isn't a good fit for the coyotes. Doan and Olli have no chemistry but I hope he isn't dealt, sometimes it takes a season to get comfortable with a new team. Olli a good player but hasn't found his stride with the coyotes as of yet. He will demand a good roster player as the yotes are already at the salary cap floor.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I was going to write this big long post in response... I even had it finished... then I realized that you just don't get it... so I decided to take a more direct approach

You say...

Lombardi = skill & consistency
Bourque = grinder
Glencross = grinder
Boyd = skill

I say...

Lombardi = Energy player with decent skill & little consistency offensively
Bourque = Grinder with decent skill
Glencross = Grinder with some skill
Boyd - Energy player with skill potential

this tells me you are seeing things way to black and white... some players just don't fit into one mold like Cammalleri (who I have no idea why you ever when on about him)...

I have to ask how sad is it when a guy you call a grinder has as much or more skill than a guy you consider a skill player? you are really taking things away from Bourque and Glencross by simply throwing a grinder label on them... because a grinder is Darren McCarty... little offense and just come out and bangs people around to create energy (you know what Vandermeer does when he plays forward)

my whole point about posting in this thread was you are seriously overvaluing Lombardi's role on the Flames... last season I may not have agreed with you about him being important but I would have see where you were coming from... but this season all the reasons why Lombardi was so valuable last seasonare moot because we have other players who do similar things... no longer is Lombardi our go to PK guy... no longer is he our only player with great speed... we have a whole plethora of players filling those roles now... and by no means was I suggesting the Flames wouldn't feel his loss at all... because they will a little... but alot less than they would have in previous seasons...

can you seriously tell me that you believe that if Lombardi was traded and Boyd took a spot on the 3rd line (Langkow & Conroy back on 1 and 2 as they have a large portion of the year)... and Glencross/Bourque/Boyd/Conroy saw some PP time... and Gelncross/Primeau/Moss/Boyd picked up a little more PK time that this team would be seriously hurt?... I am not saying 1 player will replace Lombardi... I am saying we have a group of players where as a team they can minimize his loss if it means improving the team in another area... same thing goes if the Flames traded Glencross or Bourque... but they don't free up nearly the cap space that Lombardi does if he is gone... which is why he is the one that needs to be traded... we have a glut of forwards and using one of them to acquire a defenseman only makes sense.. and of all those forwads Lombardi makes the most sense

In today's NHL, an energy player and a grinder are considered the same thing. All of the old grinder's in the pre-lockout era are all being weeded out of the NHL slowly one by one. And I am not taking anything away from Bourque & Glencross. I said they both have their roles on this team and they play an important part. They are both a very intricate part of the success and IMO the improvement of this team as compared to last years.

Lunatik, I think we have to chalk it up to that we agree to disagree. I feel that it would be a mistake to trade Lombardi (I would rather see Moss go in a package deal), and you think we should trade him. Personally, I would never make a trade if it was going to weaken your team in an area. I guess it would depend on what we are getting in return, Kovalev for Lombardi would be interesting but that is not addressing our need on D. Either way its fun to debate!

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajomaa View Post
I have to agree that lombardi is a good choice for trading. Eastern teams will value a lombardi a lot higher. Package him and vandermeer. I also am one to critisize Phaneufs play of late and it does not warrant his price tag. I wouldnt object to something like a Phaneuf/Lombo/Vandermeer for Heatley/Smith. I think our defence would improve and i think our PP/Offence would improve!

I would bet based on your logic, that you would be in favor of Tampa trading Stamkos too. Dion is not going anywhere in any trade. Sutter made it clear when he signed him to an extension last year that he was and is a part of this teams core going foward. He is having an off year, no question. But that doen not warrant trading him. That move would probably get Sutter fired down the road.

Old
02-19-2009, 03:37 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
I wouldnt object to something like a Phaneuf/Lombo/Vandermeer for Heatley/Smith. I think our defence would improve and i think our PP/Offence would improve!

I'm very curious to hear how you think trading Phaneuf and Vandermeer and bringing in Smith would improve our defense, because I only see that move making it worse.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
In today's NHL, an energy player and a grinder are considered the same thing. All of the old grinder's in the pre-lockout era are all being weeded out of the NHL slowly one by one. And I am not taking anything away from Bourque & Glencross. I said they both have their roles on this team and they play an important part. They are both a very intricate part of the success and IMO the improvement of this team as compared to last years.

Lunatik, I think we have to chalk it up to that we agree to disagree. I feel that it would be a mistake to trade Lombardi (I would rather see Moss go in a package deal), and you think we should trade him. Personally, I would never make a trade if it was going to weaken your team in an area. I guess it would depend on what we are getting in return, Kovalev for Lombardi would be interesting but that is not addressing our need on D. Either way its fun to debate!
there is not a whole lot to gain by trading Moss though... I think we would both agree that Lombardi would get back quite a bit more than Moss... IMO the guys to trade are the ones that are valuable to other teams than your own... and while I agree in principle it would be better to trade Moss than Lombardi... one has to factor in the return and the effect on the salary cap... Moss will get a much smaller return while freeing up almost nothing for the cap this year and absolutely nothing next year... so I feel trading him doesn't really help us a whole lot... another thing to consider is the Flames are deeper down the middle than they are on the wings

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Lunatik*

MVW... I am sure we can agree now with the Bourque injury that it would have to be one hell of player involved to land Lombardi... he is certainly much less expendable than he was

Old
02-20-2009, 11:21 AM
glovesave43

With limited cap room, it will be hard to make any trades. As has been talked about in the media, I would love to have Pronger join our defense. With that said who goes the other way? Lombo? Backlund? . To make room for Pronger and his money you would have to move salary, If the Ducks would take a combo of Lombo, Sarich and a pick, I would say go for it. I believe that Boyd can fill the roll that Lombo does.
Sidenote: I would love to see Dono come back for the stretch run and playoffs

glovesave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Hey Lunatik, in light of Bourque's injury...I was just curious to know if you are still of the opinion that Lombardi is expendable, lol . IMO, it is a deal breaker now. Lombardi's value is definitely more important than getting another d-man. Our D is not a 10, but it is far from bad. Even though it is not perfect, they have shown that they can hold our own when they have to. Anyways, after our debating, I was just curious where you would stand now.

Old
02-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Hey Lunatik, in light of Bourque's injury...I was just curious to know if you are still of the opinion that Lombardi is expendable, lol . IMO, it is a deal breaker now. Lombardi's value is definitely more important than getting another d-man. Our D is not a 10, but it is far from bad. Even though it is not perfect, they have shown that they can hold our own when they have to. Anyways, after our debating, I was just curious where you would stand now.
tsk tsk tsk... you didnt even read the new posts ... read 2 posts above yours

Old
02-21-2009, 02:11 PM
scoringmachine

Right now the Flames are not in a position to make any trades as they have a good core of players that are playing well. Any changes involving roster players might ruin the teams chemistry and causing a playoff meltdown. Wait until the end of the season to tinker with the team.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:46 PM
cgychieffan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I'm very curious to hear how you think trading Phaneuf and Vandermeer and bringing in Smith would improve our defense, because I only see that move making it worse.
Well, first of i will admit that Smith isnt the best piece to pick up in that deal after lookin at is numbers more recently. However Phaneuf is -11 as of now.. personally i think his play is too risky for a stanley cup winning team. I forsee a Phaneuf error costing us an important playoff game. After all he's cost us games before, I would rather have a more reliable defenseman playing that position. I am not a fan of Phaneuf's style of play! Out of the top 60 scoring defensemen, Phaneuf is 54th in +/-. He is overvalued and overpaid.

cgychieffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
special_loob

i think looking at briere is a decent option. he's due to return, and philly has richards and carter centering the top 2 lines now. philly is a team desperate for cap space. briere has a NTC, but might be willing to waive it in order to get off the 3rd line.

bringing in a 3rd team into the mix would be essential... like atlanta who's looking for young guys, prospects, picks and has a goalie like lehtonen to dangle at philly.

special_loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Well, first of i will admit that Smith isnt the best piece to pick up in that deal after lookin at is numbers more recently. However Phaneuf is -11 as of now.. personally i think his play is too risky for a stanley cup winning team. I forsee a Phaneuf error costing us an important playoff game. After all he's cost us games before, I would rather have a more reliable defenseman playing that position. I am not a fan of Phaneuf's style of play! Out of the top 60 scoring defensemen, Phaneuf is 54th in +/-. He is overvalued and overpaid.
Smith is a guy you want in the playoffs . Smith is the reliable guy you want in the last minute of the game and on the PK . But you sure don't want his 2,6 mil contract for another season
If you want someone from the Sens I suggest you take Neil . He is intense and plays with such an edge , you'll love him . Unfortunately , he picked up an injury and we don't know yet how bad it is

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you are quite possibly the only person in the HOCKEY WORLD who would rather have Smith over Dion on their defense.

Old
02-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by special_loob View Post
i think looking at briere is a decent option. he's due to return, and philly has richards and carter centering the top 2 lines now. philly is a team desperate for cap space. briere has a NTC, but might be willing to waive it in order to get off the 3rd line.

bringing in a 3rd team into the mix would be essential... like atlanta who's looking for young guys, prospects, picks and has a goalie like lehtonen to dangle at philly.
Who are we trading away to make cap room for.

Old
02-23-2009, 10:31 PM
The Gaud Father

I want Hamhuis, Kaberle, or Jokinen. If we can't get those players, then I say we should just stand pat and not make a move. Maybe a depth player on D or up front if nothing shows up.

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:17 PM
special_loob

Quote:
Who are we trading away to make cap room for.
sutter will have to get creative. there's not much left on briere's contract for this season, but obviously it puts a big burden on next. you'd basically say goodbye to squid if we brought him in.

special_loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:08 PM
cgychieffan

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you are quite possibly the only person in the HOCKEY WORLD who would rather have Smith over Dion on their defense.
Im pretty sure that if u read it properly u would realize that i said it would NOT be a good trade off... Dion is still over-rated

cgychieffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:32 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

kind of OT, but if any of you are really into this, we are looking for a calgary GM for the trade deadline game on the main board (http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=611993). first to PM me gets it (i will respond immediately). Please read the rules and timeline first.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote