HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Struggling Drury takes blame for Rangers' woes

Old
02-15-2009, 10:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante 71 View Post
you know what? Let's just give BLAIR BETTS the "C" and watch him take the Rangers, on his back, to the Stanley Cup Finals...

Blair Betts will lead us to glory

02-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
you know what? Let's just give BLAIR BETTS the "C" and watch him take the Rangers, on his back, to the Stanley Cup Finals...
Bingo! After repeatedly misinterpreting everyone's posts you finally got it!

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:23 PM
McMonster

I really hope you guys aren't serious

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
I come in peace: But why give out the 'C' at all? If no one is worthy of it, then why bestow it?
I stated this in another thread. I completely agree with this...if Drury doesn't start acting like the captain of the New York Rangers, he doesn't deserve it. He's had 56 games to prove he's the leader of this team.

Strip him of the C and have three As. Nobody on this team fully deserves to wear the C for the New York Rangers. I've heard Betts' name being thrown around and I think he should AT LEAST wear an A. Who knows, maybe he'll perform better without that kind of pressure on him.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
According to an interview in Sports Illustrated, Dustin Brown didn't even speak when Sean Avery was on the team because Avery used to make fun of his lisp.

Sidney Crosby was just overwhelmingly voted the biggest whiner in the NHL in a survey of his peers.

ah thats really bothering me. i like hate sean avery now haha. but don't worry ill just watch a ranger game and realize how badly i miss him.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
I stated this in another thread. I completely agree with this...if Drury doesn't start acting like the captain of the New York Rangers, he doesn't deserve it. He's had 56 games to prove he's the leader of this team.

Strip him of the C and have three As. Nobody on this team fully deserves to wear the C for the New York Rangers. I've heard Betts' name being thrown around and I think he should AT LEAST wear an A. Who knows, maybe he'll perform better without that kind of pressure on him.
Just like in the 1st post lockout season. Jagr, Kaspar and Rucchin were the 3 A's. Now that's a lot of personality.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:31 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
I come in peace: But why give out the 'C' at all? If no one is worthy of it, then why bestow it?
Its what they did in 06... but that was a fresh slate after the lockout.

I tell you what if they stripped Drury of the C tomorrow and said "we're not going to have a c, they will all be A's" as some sort of statement that's weak sauce. Too little too late.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:38 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Its what they did in 06... but that was a fresh slate after the lockout.

I tell you what if they stripped Drury of the C tomorrow and said "we're not going to have a c, they will all be A's" as some sort of statement that's weak sauce. Too little too late.
Well yeah, you can't do that now. Only when a vacuum in Captaincy occurs can you rotate 3 A's.... now the only thing you can do is give it to someone else. But there really is no one else.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:44 PM
SomE

Quote:
Usually, Defense oriented teams like the Devils and Rangers would give the 'C' to a defenseman, or a forward that plays more defensive minded and puts up average numbers. (Betts is a great choice)
No team will ever name a captain based on the style of hockey they play..

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:45 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

At least he's actually addressing the issue, usually he just doesn't say much of anything. Now all he has to do is start pumping up his teammates and improve his play so that this slide can be resolved.
he is a horrible captain

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Blueshirts Blueline

I've always been a Chris Drury fan dating back to when he was in Colorado...I was absolutely STOKED the day I heard the Rangers signed him. I still believe he's going to be a good signing for us when it's all said and done, and the same thing goes with Gomez, too.

Drury and Renney are the faces of the team and are soft-spoken...no yelling or screaming on the ice or on the bench, and I'd say 90% of our fan base just can't seem to accept that. This is the same kind of player Drury always has been. Because he isn't calling people out and guaranteeing wins doesn't mean he's not being a good captain.

He did what anyone in his place should do right now: he manned up and is trying to have the heat directed towards him. That's what a captain does.

Blueshirts Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:52 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeds Blue View Post
I've always been a Chris Drury fan dating back to when he was in Colorado...I was absolutely STOKED the day I heard the Rangers signed him. I still believe he's going to be a good signing for us when it's all said and done, and the same thing goes with Gomez, too.

Drury and Renney are the faces of the team and are soft-spoken...no yelling or screaming on the ice or on the bench, and I'd say 90% of our fan base just can't seem to accept that. This is the same kind of player Drury always has been. Because he isn't calling people out and guaranteeing wins doesn't mean he's not being a good captain.

He did what anyone in his place should do right now: he manned up and is trying to have the heat directed towards him. That's what a captain does.
The one thing that people don't seem to get with Drury is that this is the player he has always been! Is it his fault Sather offered him a huge deal? no

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:

A captain also leads by example. Chris Drury hasn't been doing that consistently at all this season.

I don't need the captain of my favorite sports team to yell and scream at his teammates to fire them up. I need that person to give 110% during every shift and make a difference. I'm sorry but Chris Drury hasn't been showing that.

Old
02-15-2009, 10:57 PM
In The Flesh

Mara - C
Drury - A
Betts/Dubinsky - A

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Blueshirts Blueline

Quote:
A captain also leads by example. Chris Drury hasn't been doing that consistently at all this season.

I don't need the captain of my favorite sports team to yell and scream at his teammates to fire them up. I need that person to give 110% during every shift and make a difference. I'm sorry but Chris Drury hasn't been showing that.
What do you want him to do exactly? He's a valuable part of our PK, he's tried to play wherever Renney has asked him to for the entire season - 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, RW, C, LW, PP point - I don't know what he's supposed to do. I have no idea what he's like behind closed doors, but I've never heard a teammate ever say one bad thing about Chris Drury so he must be doing something right.

Old
02-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Double Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
The one thing that people don't seem to get with Drury is that this is the player he has always been! Is it his fault Sather offered him a huge deal? no
He is no where near the player he was. I remember Drury as a player who drive to the net, and as a hard fore checker. He seems like he has been shying away from traffic. Unless he has been hurt for the whole year, he has been a waste. He can talk all he wants about being accountable, but he needs to produce. I know it would never happen, but if it was possible to give back some of his salary I would not mind at all.

BTW, as a team captain he should be calling a players only meeting, as of now I have not heard that he ever did. Some captain....

Double Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Gert B Frobe

if you need a new coach to play hard then you got the wrong players

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:08 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
anyone want to go try out for this team?? we're not pro's here by any means but i can sure throw a trash can far enough across a locker room to get some attention and i have no problem getting in someones face

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Blueshirts Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section404 View Post
He is no where near the player he was. I remember Drury as a player who drive to the net, and as a hard fore checker. He seems like he has been shying away from traffic. Unless he has been hurt for the whole year, he has been a waste. He can talk all he wants about being accountable, but he needs to produce. I know it would never happen, but if it was possible to give back some of his salary I would not mind at all.

BTW, as a team captain he should be calling a players only meeting, as of now I have not heard that he ever did. Some captain....
Shying away from traffic? The guy gets ABUSED standing in front of the net on the Power Play every single shift. Maybe part of the reason he's not putting up as good stats as he used to is because he's paired with guys like Dawes, Korpikoski, Prucha, etc. who all score about as frequently as Dru (Note: I like Korpedo and I'm not throwing him under the bus, I'm just saying...).

Old
02-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
What do you want him to do exactly? He's a valuable part of our PK, he's tried to play wherever Renney has asked him to for the entire season - 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, RW, C, LW, PP point - I don't know what he's supposed to do. I have no idea what he's like behind closed doors, but I've never heard a teammate ever say one bad thing about Chris Drury so he must be doing something right.
Produce...that's what I want him to do. He's been invisible for a good portion of the season and I've watched just about every game. There was that road trip when we faced Anaheim and LA where I finally thought he was coming along. Also, that night he finally broke out and had the hat trick against Tampa. For the most part, he's been scoring goals in bunches. That's good and bad.

He hasn't scored a goal in 11 games. 11 GAMES. The last time he scored was when he put in two against Chicago and we won in OT. Ever since then he's had a few assists but nothing substantial.

Old
02-15-2009, 11:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

and there ya go... he plays on half throttle. Or at least it seems so.

If Pressbox Prucha has more hits than Drury someone in that room should have the balls to put that up on the board

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:13 PM
McMonster

Quote:

Finally! An intelligent post!

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Double Chili

Quote:
Shying away from traffic? The guy gets ABUSED standing in front of the net on the Power Play every single shift. Maybe part of the reason he's not putting up as good stats as he used to is because he's paired with guys like Dawes, Korpikoski, Prucha, etc. who all score about as frequently as Dru (Note: I like Korpedo and I'm not throwing him under the bus, I'm just saying...).

Watch him closely, he does not drive toward the net like he used to, and watch him on the forecheck. His offensive numbers are brutal, and while he has been shifted around this season,and could be a small part of his offensive play decline, his defense has not been great either. The only part of his game that has been acceptable is his D on the PK.

He know he has been horrible this year, he has admitted it himself. The team is paying very well for what he done in the past, and is the team C. Time to produce if has any left in the tank

Double Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Blueshirts Blueline

Quote:
Produce...that's what I want him to do. He's been invisible for a good portion of the season and I've watched just about every game. There was that road trip when we faced Anaheim and LA where I finally thought he was coming along. Also, that night he finally broke out and had the hat trick against Tampa. For the most part, he's been scoring goals in bunches. That's good and bad.

He hasn't scored a goal in 11 games. 11 GAMES. The last time he scored was when he put in two against Chicago and we won in OT. Ever since then he's had a few assists but nothing substantial.
You could say the same thing about any other guy on our roster - Gomez, Zherdev, Dubinsky, Dawes. With the exception of Callahan and maybe Naslund, there's been nobody on this team who has produced consistently throughout the course of this season.

My personal opinion: Gomez deserves WAY more blame than Drury. This guy has been our first line center the entire season, playing most of the year with our team leaders in points (Naslund, Cally, Z). At least with Drury you can make a case that he's mainly been our 3rd line center for a good part of the year...Gomez has done LESS with MORE. It's just terrible. Everyone thought Gomez and Zherdev were going to be fantastic together, and maybe they still are, but right now we're going through the same thing with Gomez that we did with Jagr - we basically have a revolving door for his linemates and he can't get it to click with anybody. Only this time, it's worse, because Gomez is a center rather than a wing and Jagr was still able to dominate every game even without chemistry.

Old
02-15-2009, 11:21 PM
agentzzz

Quote:
yea i get that

but a captain has to be able to contribute offensively at least a little.

Yea he kills penalties and blocks shots but thats it.
Roberto Luongo says hi

agentzzz is offline   Reply With Quote