HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Struggling Drury takes blame for Rangers' woes

Old
02-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Block More Shots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeds Blue View Post
You could say the same thing about any other guy on our roster - Gomez, Zherdev, Dubinsky, Dawes. With the exception of Callahan and maybe Naslund, there's been nobody on this team who has produced consistently throughout the course of this season.

My personal opinion: Gomez deserves WAY more blame than Drury. This guy has been our first line center the entire season, playing most of the year with our team leaders in points (Naslund, Cally, Z). At least with Drury you can make a case that he's mainly been our 3rd line center for a good part of the year...Gomez has done LESS with MORE. It's just terrible. Everyone thought Gomez and Zherdev were going to be fantastic together, and maybe they still are, but right now we're going through the same thing with Gomez that we did with Jagr - we basically have a revolving door for his linemates and he can't get it to click with anybody. Only this time, it's worse, because Gomez is a center rather than a wing and Jagr was still able to dominate every game even without chemistry.
Gomez deserves much of the blame. I completely agree. He's supposedly our #1 center and doesn't play like it most of the time. Our veterans all deserve blame for the lack of success. Gomer, Dru, and Naslund all have to play better. When the kids on the team are outworking and outplaying your veterans, then there's a problem. Guys like Dubi, Z, Cally, and Korpedo are skating hard every shift and creating chances. We need to start seeing that from our veterans.

Here's a suggestion for lines to possibly spark something:

Drury-Gomez-Naslund
Prucha-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Voros-Korpikoski-Callahan
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

Maybe reuniting Drury with Gomer will do something. Who knows. I like what Pru brings to the table when playing with Dubi and Z. They definitely make things happen. The 3rd line would be a good grind-it-out type of line. All three of them like to hit and just get pucks on net. And of course our 4th line, which has been fine IMO.

Voros has brought nothing offensively for the longest time, but I like his size and physicality. I definitely think he would bring more to this lineup and that 3rd line then Dawes would.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:37 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

At least he's actually addressing the issue, usually he just doesn't say much of anything. Now all he has to do is start pumping up his teammates and improve his play so that this slide can be resolved.
Blah Blah Blah

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:37 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
He said it, Renney said it too. Renney basically said he takes full responsibility for this.

http://www.insidehockey.com/columns/3000
blah blah blah

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:42 PM
tdawg56

Nothing has been addressed, unless our glorified AHL team turns into an NHL team we still stink.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:00 PM
ret513

Reason why I metioned Mara is because he seems to be the only one doing the talking. He likes the mic, always patting shoulders and waits for the team to go into locker room. The bench is silent and lifeless. I hope Drury tries something new and at least opens his mouth at the bench because the silent leadership stuff certainly isnt working!

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante 71 View Post
yea great idea!

Lets give the C to our fourth line center who scores 3 goals a year if he's lucky.
Captaincy doesn't revolve around skill level. That said, Betts isnt exactly outspoken enough to be a leader.

Ive been dissapointed that Naslund hasnt shown himself as a leader, with his years leading Vancouver(or was that Linden who was captain)

Anyways, candidates would be Dubinsky, Mara, Staal, but two of them are too young.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
Here's a suggestion for lines to possibly spark something:

Drury-Gomez-Naslund
Prucha-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Voros-Korpikoski-Callahan
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

Maybe reuniting Drury with Gomer will do something. Who knows. I like what Pru brings to the table when playing with Dubi and Z. They definitely make things happen. The 3rd line would be a good grind-it-out type of line. All three of them like to hit and just get pucks on net. And of course our 4th line, which has been fine IMO.

My lines:
Drury Gomez Dawes
Naslund Dubinsky Zherdev
Prucha Korpikoski Callahan
Sjo Betts Orr

If I could make any move it would be bringing in Cole to play on Gomez's RW. He brings a good amount of Size/Grit and Scoring punch.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:33 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Captaincy doesn't revolve around skill level.
Never said that. A captain should at least contribute somewhat offensively. 3 goals a year isn't enough for a captain. I don't care how hard he works or how many penalties he kills.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:41 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante 71 View Post
Never said that. A captain should at least contribute somewhat offensively. 3 goals a year isn't enough for a captain. I don't care how hard he works or how many penalties he kills.
Also, Betts is just as quiet and passive as Drury, if not more so. Right now this team needs a fiery and inspiring leader. As of now, I don't see anyone that fits that description on the roster. Sad.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 11:50 PM
CaptainCallahan*

Paul Mara should wear the C because he plays with a purpose, and unlike ANYONE on the team, HE TOOK A PAYCUT TO PLAY HERE! Ding Dong we have a winner. Here is a man who is so proud of the letters on the front of his sweater that he is playing for less than his previous contract, when he could have received a raise elsewhere. Would have been cool if Redden said, hey I don't deserve $6.5 million a season, or Drury and Gomez, who wanted to play in NY so bad, took a normal amount of cash so our cap had the flexibility to field a decent team. I actually like Gomez and Drury, and would love to have them at a non-outrageous price. They are getting paid first line money to produce like third liners, but if Slats signed them at an appropriate amount, I don't think nearly this amount of people would be on their cases. Redden is a different story, he is just completely worthless. Anyway, sorry to rant.

Paul Mara- C for setting an example of how a professional should carry themselves.
Ryan Callahan- A for giving 110% effort every night, regardless of score and team morale.
Marc Staal/Blair Betts/Dan Girardi- A for not only excelling in their team roles, but also giving their all on the ice.

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:30 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Gomez and Redden are both much bigger problems than Drury. And Drury's contract ends in 3 years, not 5.

What else is he supposed to say today? He said the right thing. What else can he do? Call out Dopez? You know he's not going to do that.

No one seems to take the most important bit of information from this incident: if your team's play, especially offensively, is so heavily dependent on the performance of Chris Drury, if Chris Drury finds it necessary to call himself out because his offensive production is so crucial to your team, you not only should expect to be a poor hockey team, but you deserve to be, considering you paid for it. Heftily.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Salvage21

A- Drury
A-Mara
A-Gomez(only because it was designed to be HIS team)

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 07:52 AM
eco's bones

I'm glad Drury feels embarrassed--publicly recognizing he's not lived up to his contract. The questions of can he turn it around?--I'm guessing--no--and should he still be captain? Again no. And yeah it is kind of blah, blah, blah--so like some others here I have some skepticism about the self criticism approach.

I don't think we really have any captain material unless you want to look to somebody like Staal who at least figures to be the backbone of our defense for the next 10-15 years.

I'm sorry but though Betts is great at what he does he's a limited player and does not in any way strike me as an emotional spark. Forget that idea. He's another 'quiet' personality and it's hard for me to believe that in the last minute of a game and down by one goal that he's the guy that the team will look to. Not all goal scorers and/or point producers are captain material either but every team has a kind of heirarchy and it starts with the guys who produce the most and Blair just does not fit into that.

So another question is do we really need a captain? and or as the Devil fan posted here maybe Renney could run a bit of a competition though that seems like at this point something you'd want to wait for next year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:12 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Avery View Post
As he should since the players have given up on him.
If the players give up, that is their issue.

If a player "gives up" then you have to question their character and make up.

And then start looking for a team that will take them.

They are not being paid millions to "give up".

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:16 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Well, let's see if he actually steps up or if it's just talk...

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:29 AM
UAlbanySniper27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk but I've seen this type of thing MANY times. I'm glad he's stepping up and taking responsibility for his poor play, but I'd rather see his play (along with the rest of the team) do the talking.
i couldnt have said it better myself. all you hear from our big 4 (drury, gomer, naslund, redden) after every game and loss is do a lot of talking about how its their fault and they take responsibility. they mention looking in the mirror and playing harder, yet as time goes by the worse they play. i am gettin very sick and tired of hearing them talk a biug game yet fail to show up for the actual game. maybe if drury and gomez were true captains they would actually shut up and not make excuses and go out and compete once in a while. same goes for redden and naslund neither one shows heart or any desire to play hockey watsoever...........enough is enough and its time to step up and back up your talk with some consistent play, words mean nothing without the proper actions to back it up!!!!!!

UAlbanySniper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
No Im not... he's one guy for all his shortcoming in offensive skills shows heart and hustle on every shift.

If every Ranger hustled like Blair Betts this team would be AOK
I would give it to one of two people.

Blair Betts

Paul Mara

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 10:28 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

So, he got off like 8 shots tonight. That's enough effort for a while.

I expect a goal against the Isles tomorrow though. Likes to score against them and the Lightning.

Old
02-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

And...

we still lost

...to the Saint Louis Blues

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Blueshirts Blueline

Give the guy credit, he came to play tonight. 8 shots, 0 goals but at least he's TRYING and getting the puck on net. Plus, the line of Dubi-Drury-Z really needs to stay together for the rest of the season.

Blueshirts Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 10:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeds Blue View Post
Give the guy credit, he came to play tonight. 8 shots, 0 goals but at least he's TRYING and getting the puck on net. Plus, the line of Dubi-Drury-Z really needs to stay together for the rest of the season.
Just let Dubi take the faceoffs.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 10:50 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

He played a little bit better tonight... but still no stats, we lost, and boy did he get owned in the faceoff circle (from what I remember).

Old
02-16-2009, 11:16 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Way to still not answer the question.

And I think the team would be better off if instead of just taking hits, like you say, Chris Drury threw a couple of more hits.

He is LAST on this team in hits. Petr Prucha, in 22 games played, has more hits than our captain.
What an uneducated cheap shot. One, what does HITS have to do with winning games. Two, Dru has NEVER been known to throw his body around like that. He like ALL of the rangers are having an off year.

But yeah your right, the reason why the rangers are a mess is because Dru doesn't check.. Good observation!

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
What an uneducated cheap shot. One, what does HITS have to do with winning games. Two, Dru has NEVER been known to throw his body around like that. He like ALL of the rangers are having an off year.

But yeah your right, the reason why the rangers are a mess is because Dru doesn't check.. Good observation!
You can insult me all you want. The fact that Petr Prucha, one of the smallest players in the NHL has more hits than Captain North America in about 20 less games played is absolutely disgusting.

I don't care that he's "never been known to throw his body around like that." If your the captain of an NHL franchise and you don't score goals, your arguably the worst faceoff center on your team, your not a good passer, you can't carry the puck through the neutral zone and on top of that are getting paid 7 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR, you better damn well be throwing your body around more than the termite who lives in the press box.

But never mind. It's OK because he's from Connecticut and he won the Little League World Series and he helped "lead" Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic and Ray Bourque to his only Stanley Cup. Let's not forget, he's a natural born winner too.

It's amazing how the Drury fanatics just love to hate statistics. Anyone who states any statistic pertaining to Drury on this board is shunned like a Communist in a Seinfeld episode. You guys are like all the "old school" baseball GM's who kept telling the Sabremetricians that stats didn't matter all the way up until the point Theo Epstein, Bill James and Billy Beane stole their jobs from under them.

Last edited by Banks3rdLineCenter: 02-16-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:25 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
The fact that Petr Prucha, one of the smallest players in the NHL has more hits than Captain North America in about 20 less games played is absolutely disgusting.
No, it isn't disgusting. Petr Prucha's game is to hit people and Chris Drury's game is different. Simple as that.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote