HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The realistic status of Renney's job thread. (no fire/keep renney posts please)

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
I dont know. Logic would say that Renney would have to be close to getting the boot. This just being based on the fact that it seems like he lost his team. I dont think many coaches stick around for too long after they lose their teams. The Dallas and Philly games really show that the team needs a new voice. The real test of this will be tonight and Wednesday. If we get romped at home by the Islanders, I dont see how Renney stays. Especially if we lose tonight.

Old
02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

My head tells me he'll be here for at least the remainder of the season. However, you never know what's going on in the mind of Sather, so we'll have to wait and see. Sather could be ready to hit the 'Panic!' button in a last ditch effort to prove he's not a complete idiot and these guys he paid for can actually play.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
92hatchattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
See below

Point being that Renney doesnt have a history of doing anything, those players did though, as well as Henke. Renney is not a motivator. He cant even be called a babysitter because he doesnt have the balls to put anyone but Prucha in "time out"

Sorry, but at this point i just feel like our players have nothing going, and we dont have the coaching staff to get those players going .. which would in fact be their JOBS. We should just start dressing the Wolfpack. At least the young kids play with some emotion and have something to prove, or care to prove something.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
Sorry, but at this point i just feel like our players have nothing going, and we dont have the coaching staff to get those players going .. which would in fact be their JOBS. We should just start dressing the Wolfpack. At least the young kids play with some emotion and have something to prove, or care to prove something.
92 - I totally agree. I got the impression that the thread was about a likely scenario and I am sure the front office will afford Renney the season and base it's decision on that. I wish we could dress some of the Wolfpack. I would love to see Parenteau up for a look but he'd be claimed on the re-entry waiver.

I don't want to see this team collapse. This team isn't a cup contender but I don't think it is THIS bad although you can only go by your last performance. I just think it'd be better for the long term that players like Dubinsky, Callahan, and Staal continue to experience the playoffs. I think it is important, for the young guys on this team, that they make the playoffs.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Ice Hockey

i think his job is in more jeopardy than last season but sather sees much of this fault is not renney's.

one thing that may help renney's case is that he finally switched up our worthless plz don't score on me 1-2-2 recently. i even saw some 4-1 action on the PP.

Old
02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I don't think he actually gets canned. As others have said, no one is feeling any pressure, and this team still is in playoff contention. If they fall out of the playoffs, I think he gets canned. As long as they have the 8 seed, he'll have a job.

Old
02-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Blueblood 2

Realistically he stays. Dolan however cannot be considered 100% predictable. He may have a short attention span but things happen when he wakes up. Remember when Renney didn't dress Orr in a fight filled game? Dolan spoke and Orr hasn't been a healthy scratch since. Therrian being bounced may just wake up the old boy. I don't see Sather going to bat for Renney if he is ordered to take action.

Old
02-16-2009, 05:13 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

I dont think anything will happen mid-season, Renney will get to see the season out i think and then possibly a replacement will be looked for.

Old
02-16-2009, 05:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
I dont think anything will happen mid-season, Renney will get to see the season out i think and then possibly a replacement will be looked for.
By and large, mid season replacements don't really work.

I think he lasts the season. And I wouldn't be surprised if he's the coach to start next season.

02-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

I think he lasts the season. And I wouldn't be surprised if he's the coach to start next season.
I concur.

I think he gets that unless we completely implode and miss the playoffs. Even then, he may not be gone.

He is going to get another season.

Old
02-16-2009, 05:34 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

But I think if it gets to that point, Sather isn't worried about it working/not working. It will be desperation time, missing the playoffs will be more likely than making it. I'm not really agreeing or disagreeing, just adding a point.

Let me offer up Bruce Boudreau as at least 1 example of a change working. Of course he had much more time to turn his situation around.

Old
02-16-2009, 05:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
But I think if it gets to that point, Sather isn't worried about it working/not working. It will be desperation time, missing the playoffs will be more likely than making it. I'm not really agreeing or disagreeing, just adding a point.

Let me offer up Bruce Boudreau as at least 1 example of a change working. Of course he had much more time to turn his situation around.
He had much more time and he replaced a guy with a losing record who had never been to the playoffs.

Old
02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
I concur.

I think he gets that unless we completely implode and miss the playoffs. Even then, he may not be gone.

He is going to get another season.
And I hate to say this but....

He definitely deserves another season. I mean go back before the lockout, we were in the ******* and now we're a perennial playoff team.

In my opinion, he's not the best of coaches but is certainly capable of leading this team to a Cup. But he needs to learn from other coaches in other sports.... You have to PLAY YOUR BEST PLAYERS NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

ie: If we have 6 Right Wingers that are better than the other 4 Left wingers then make the Right Wingers play and make them change positions. We can't have Aaron Voros out there when Petr Prucha is 3 times better. In my mind, he sucks at player management and motivation. But again, he's capable of leading this team successfully.

Old
02-16-2009, 05:42 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Put it in the Fire Renney thread, but it's relevant here, too:

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/23...M-shakeup.html

Old
02-23-2009, 01:01 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I think it's time to revisit this, again. Seems as though the seat is getting quite warm.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:26 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
i say if we dont win one of the next 2 games hes gone, although i wouldnt be shocked to wake up to him being canned in the morning

Old
02-23-2009, 08:44 AM
shoothepuck

Anyone who watched last nights fiasco, and looked at Renneys face as he walked off the bench knows he's in deep trouble, (3 teams lost to Toronto, 2 coaches are gone). Still in the hunt with 20 games left may be the only thing keeping him employed, but does anyone think he can get this team past the 1st round, let alone win a cup.

Old
02-23-2009, 08:59 AM
gravytrain6t

Mid season coaching changes have worked before. The Devils did it and won a Stanley Cup. Not to say the Rangers will but it's like needing "a breath of fresh air." However it should have been done already.
This team is like a dog with Rabies. Just put the current coaching staff out of it's misery because whatever Renney's trying to preach here, it's not selling. Time to move on and why delay the inevitable anyway? To continue to lose so we can get a "better" draft pick in the first round?

Old
02-23-2009, 09:06 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Anyone who watched last nights fiasco, and looked at Renneys face as he walked off the bench knows he's in deep trouble, (3 teams lost to Toronto, 2 coaches are gone). Still in the hunt with 20 games left may be the only thing keeping him employed, but does anyone think he can get this team past the 1st round, let alone win a cup.
How are the Rangers going to do that, when this team is not even going to the playoffs under Renney? This team is completely lost with this coaching staff.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Mason530

The honest question is --- Does a new head coach can change this team? Rozy is so clumsy on point during PP. Redden...........I don't know.....he just doesn't look right as a whole. Wingers, there are no snipers and they are not the fastest nor strongest. I don't know what they are. If the Cup is won by passing, NYR might have won the last 3 cups already. The team building is simply flawed.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

As rumors about a possible coaching change continue to simmer, the Rangers are here but not on the ice at the practice complex in Westchester at 10:30 as scheduled, probably meeting (reviewing video, etc.) There should be some access afterward. Will update when necessary...

per Zipay

02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason530 View Post
The honest question is --- Does a new head coach can change this team? Rozy is so clumsy on point during PP. Redden...........I don't know.....he just doesn't look right as a whole. Wingers, there are no snipers and they are not the fastest nor strongest. I don't know what they are. If the Cup is won by passing, NYR might have won the last 3 cups already. The team building is simply flawed.
Don't take that away from this team, we have some fast lil' buggers.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
As rumors about a possible coaching change continue to simmer, the Rangers are here but not on the ice at the practice complex in Westchester at 10:30 as scheduled, probably meeting (reviewing video, etc.) There should be some access afterward. Will update when necessary...

per Zipay
Charlie Simmer? We could use him on the power play !

Old
02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Fletch

Singn'...

I agree about mid-season replacements not always working, but feel that in this case, unfortunately, that may be what's needed to jumpstart this team a bit. Too often it seems like Renney's lost his team. He never really found the right chemistry and his juggling is getting to be to the point where he too seems lost. Also, players seem frustrated and things aren't getting better. Since, unfortunately, the players cannot be replaced, the coach may be the only option. It's a tough decision, although I do have to question how Pearn still has a job; I'm not even sure how he began the season, and that's an area that could've been a huge difference maker in the way this season has played-out.

So, realistically, what happens? Who knows. Maybe this team's "leaders" get their heads out of their collective butts and show an effort that we saw earlier in the season. Maybe Lundqvist returns to being consistently elite. Maybe Renney will find the right combos that show chemistry and sticks with them. Maybe Sather actually finds a sucker to take on a big contract and the guy coming this way, which likely will also be a big contract, ends up being more complementary.

Closed Thread