HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

2009 Draft Picks

Old
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
2009 Draft Picks

Maybe this is posted elsewhere and maybe my focus should be on games instead of picks but here is the list of picks that we have in the upcoming draft (so you know which teams to root against):

1st round: Preds pick

2nd round: Wild and Preds picks

3rd round: Senators and Preds picks

4th round: Leafs, Rangers and Preds picks

5th round: Canes and Preds picks

6th round: None

7th round: Flyers and Preds picks

By luck or foresight we have picks from some of the lower teams in the league.

Last edited by braindead: 03-10-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: &$#%#@#$ Tarnasky (Thanks V1960)
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
and yet we couldnt turn one of those into Antropov

sorry..I know.. beating the dead horse...

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:24 PM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Maybe this is posted elsewhere and maybe my focus should be on games instead of picks but here is the list of picks that we have in the upcoming draft (so you know which teams to root against):

1st round: Preds pick

2nd round: Wild and Preds picks

6th round: Preds pick

No 6th rounder; it was traded for Nick Tarnasky .

By the way, this is a really good site for transactions and future picks. http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I am GLAD we didn't waste a 2nd round pick on Antropov. He isn't 'that' good. He definitely isn't worth a 2nd and 3rd rounder which is probably what the Rangers will end up paying.

03-09-2009, 10:42 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Offering some input where I can:

Quote:
1st round: Preds pick - This will likely be in the 13-17 range, which means we'll likely be drafting a defenseman. Someone like Dmitri Kulikov, Calvin De Haan, Stefan Elliott, David Rundblad, Simon Despres, or even Ryan Ellis. My money's on De Haan.

2nd round: Wild and Preds picks - These two picks will both likely be in close proximity of one another, and will both likely be forwards, possibly some combination of Kyle Palmieri, Tomas Tatar, Carl Klingberg, Cody Eakin, Toni Rajala, Marcus Johansson, and Jimmy Bubnick

Quote:

I suspect we'll see several wingers and defensemen drafted and probably one goaltender. Possibly a 7-4-1 or 8-3-1 type of draft. I, for one, have no problem with that. We're short on defensive prospects further down the pipeline, which a low-budget organization like ours absolutely need. We have a desperate short- and long-term need for wingers, so that should comprise at least 5 of the 7/8 forwards we draft.

We could also use this plethora of draft picks to essentially dictate the flow of the draft board, moving up and down as we please, or using the picks to add some more immediately gratifying assets that may be available at the draft.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 03-10-2009 at 01:07 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I am GLAD we didn't waste a 2nd round pick on Antropov. He isn't 'that' good. He definitely isn't worth a 2nd and 3rd rounder which is probably what the Rangers will end up paying.

Poile loves this draft, apparently. And let's just face it. We are in a mini-rebuild. We don't need to be trading picks away.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Just like last year, I strongly hope we move up into the 6-9 range. The forwards there are simply outstanding prospects.....Schroeder, Kane, etc......*drool*

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

With so many low picks, most of them will be moved to move up the mid-level picks. Makes me want to take the 6 hour road trip to Montreal for the draft. Anybody willing to fly up and split the gas.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:06 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

1st round: Preds pick - This will likely be in the 13-17 range, which means we'll likely be drafting a defenseman. Someone like Dmitri Kulikov, Calvin De Haan, Stefan Elliott, David Rundblad, Simon Despres, or even Ryan Ellis. My money's on De Haan.

2nd round: Wild and Preds picks - These two picks will both likely be in close proximity of one another, and will both likely be forwards, possibly some combination of Kyle Palmieri, Tomas Tatar, Carl Klingberg, Cody Eakin, Toni Rajala, Marcus Johansson, and Jimmy Bubnick

So is Kassian too much of a head case for the Preds to gamble on in the 1st? Poile seems to be craving big power forward types these days. I could also see him trading down a bit and going for O'Reilly, Palmieri or Shore. Maybe I'm crazy but I also could see Schroeder being available in the 11-15 range. Could Cowen fall that far with his injury? I would guess no chance...

In my opinion the key to this draft are the two second rounders: Will we get a Weber/Klien or even Spaling or....Ed Hill.

Our track record in the 2nd is improving but we really need to have those picks pan out this year. I was guessing Palmieri and Tatar would both be gone by the time we reach our 2nd round picks. I'm far from the expert but I like both of those guys- I just think Tatar's WJC makes him too much of a temptation to someone to last that long.

What about Carter Ashton in the 2nd? Keep with the sons (relatives) of former nhl'ers theme. And the "get bigger" theme.

Old
03-10-2009, 02:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
So is Kassian too much of a head case for the Preds to gamble on in the 1st? Poile seems to be craving big power forward types these days. I could also see him trading down a bit and going for O'Reilly, Palmieri or Shore. Maybe I'm crazy but I also could see Schroeder being available in the 11-15 range. Could Cowen fall that far with his injury? I would guess no chance...
If Schroeder falls out of the top 10, then somebody is crazy. In terms of record of performance, he's very similar to Wilson from last year.

Cowen should be a top five pick even with the injury, but it depends on the team once you get past 2nd overall.

O'Reilly and Palmieri will both be second round picks. Depending on where Minnesota ends up, we've got a shot at one of them or we might be able to move up to grab one. Trading down into the 20s for Shore is a possibility. Peter Holland is also an option. I think he's a great prospect flying under the radar in Guelph.
As for Kassian, the guy is almost a direct clone of Scott Hartnell, for better and for worse. He's also lacking in the mental focus department, and has rumblings of character issues which I think will hurt his draft stock. He's got a lot of work to do before he becomes an NHL player, but the potential is there.

Quote:
Our track record in the 2nd is improving but we really need to have those picks pan out this year. I was guessing Palmieri and Tatar would both be gone by the time we reach our 2nd round picks. I'm far from the expert but I like both of those guys- I just think Tatar's WJC makes him too much of a temptation to someone to last that long.
The WJC is overused as a means of evaluation by North American fans (myself included) because it's typically the only time they ever get to see Europeans play. That's not to say Tatar isn't a good prospect, because he is, but people tend to abuse the WJC as a means of evaluating players.

Palmieri may be gone, but Tatar will be there when we draft unless somebody pulls a Brian Lawton.

Quote:
What about Carter Ashton in the 2nd? Keep with the sons (relatives) of former nhl'ers theme. And the "get bigger" theme.
Ashton will probably be gone by the time we get ready to pick. He may even go in the first round.

Poile has done an excellent job of giving himself virtually unlimited flexibility at the draft table. I still wish we'd moved one of those picks for some deadline help, but hey...

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 03-10-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old
03-10-2009, 05:01 PM
braindead

Great feedback. Thanks. Maybe wishful thinking on Schroeder.

I also meant to ask about Zach Budish who seemed like an interesting prospect- blown out knee and all. Is he expected to fall into the 3rd? Could be an interesting value pick but probably unlikely to see Poile risk a mid-2nd on a young high school rehab project.

Old
03-10-2009, 11:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Great feedback. Thanks. Maybe wishful thinking on Schroeder.

I also meant to ask about Zach Budish who seemed like an interesting prospect- blown out knee and all. Is he expected to fall into the 3rd? Could be an interesting value pick but probably unlikely to see Poile risk a mid-2nd on a young high school rehab project.
Budish is an intriguing prospect because there's no way of knowing just how much the knee injury has stifled his development, or even if it has at all. He's a good powerforward prospect committed to Minnesota (imagine that) and there was a prospect ranking - not sure if it was CSS or maybe Red Line Report - that had him ranked in their top 30.

Budish has a lot of talent, uses his body well and is a decent skater, so he's got the tools, but I think missing an entire year of development, and a critical one at that, will push him out of the first round and he may fall into the third.