Notices

Game 56: @ Columbus, 2/16

Old
02-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Yeah, possibly a couple trips you got away with in the closing seconds of regulation, but those are tough calls to make.

Great game, Turco will haunt my dreams tonight. Why we didn't use Umberger in the shoot out, I have no idea.
Give it a rest...! Columbus got away with just as much if not more than Dallas.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
The game, as usual, was won on special teams.

Yes, Columbus statistically beat the Stars in that regard. But the Jackets had at least 3 PPs in the last 15 minutes of the game (10 + OT), that Dallas killed all off.

What a turn around for the PK lately.

Dallas has killed off 22 of their last 23 penalty kills.
Certainly you're not using our PP as a benchmark for your PK, right? Players from the school of the blind could score at a higher rate than our PP. It was god awful (bleeping) horrid! Yeah, maybe we scored early, but when it came crunch time, it sucked sucked sucked.

I would just subtract us out of that equation. You negate a goal out of the stat, plus no one's going to care, lol.

Anyways, here's hoping Richards gets healthy soon. Probably done for the year, but I don't like to see players get hurt so hopefully whatever route he chooses gets him back to full health as soon as possible.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
The Stars hadn't allowed a PP (PK for them) goal in four consecutive games before this one.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Two questions.

In a tight game where you need both points why do you bench a guy that can actually score? Brunnstrom didn't play the final seven minutes of regulation or in OT. Barch got shifts. Sutherby, Peterson and Lundqvist all got shifts but the kid who has shown he can score sees the bench. Why haven't we fired Tippet again?

If Richards is out for six weeks, who do you call up? Let's assume Wandell is out. His Swedish team probably won't let him go for that long. Conner? Oh god please no. Lindgren? He's back in Finland and can't score there. Sawada? Maybe, but has he shown he deserves to be called up? There's no way they'd bring back Avery, right? What do you do and what are your line combinations going forward?
You don't play Brunnstrom because he's still very rough around the edges defensively and, as Razor pointed out, he sucked in puck battles tonight. You need both points, but you certainly can't give both up either. That said, I have no idea why they continue to play Barch so much late in games unless he's just a dynamo in practice and they're hoping it comes through in the games.

The other three you mention are average to above average defensively and they won't get you the goal necessarily, but they will more than likely keep Columbus from scoring. It's the same logic as to why Fistric and Grossman played over Niskanen and Sydor.

As far as lines, Sutherby and Lundqvist are both centers (as is Ott, but I think they like him on the first line for now). I think you go something like...

Ott-Ribeiro-Lehtinen <- why break up what's been working?
Eriksson-Modano-Neal <- poor man's Lehtinen combines to make a halfway defensively responsible, very dangerous second line
Brunnstrom-Sutherby-Lundqvist <- Sutherby has a history at center, and it keeps Brunnstrom with guys who can bang to get him the puck and have shown offensive flashes
Parrish/Conner-Petersen-Wilson/Barch - Rotate the four wingers however you see fit

Wilson and Conner can both jump up to the third line or even the second (since Modano and Conner seemed to click earlier this season) if the Stars want to spread the scoring out a bit.

Old
02-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Certainly you're not using our PP as a benchmark for your PK, right? Players from the school of the blind could score at a higher rate than our PP. It was god awful (bleeping) horrid! Yeah, maybe we scored early, but when it came crunch time, it sucked sucked sucked.

I would just subtract us out of that equation. You negate a goal out of the stat, plus no one's going to care, lol.

Anyways, here's hoping Richards gets healthy soon. Probably done for the year, but I don't like to see players get hurt so hopefully whatever route he chooses gets him back to full health as soon as possible.

So in the game last night Cololumbus had 23 PP opportunities? Its a stretch over a few games there chief!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Biggest concern of the night?

Quote:
The victory was huge for Dallas, which has struggled in its last four games, allowing an average of 35.25 shots on goal.
4 straight games of 30 shots or more allowed. What happened to dominating the SOG department?!

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:03 AM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
you know what guys? Dallas is going to win this game.

Whenever things look their worst Dallas steps up and brings the effort.

They'll get it done.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
Dallas hardly brought "the effort" last night.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Dallas hardly brought "the effort" last night.
but they did enough to hang on and take two points

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
but they Marty Turco did enough to hang on and take two points
Fixed.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:27 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Fixed.
yea, that is probably right

Old
02-17-2009, 11:49 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Turco didn't win them that game, the team did.

And Kritter, sorry, but those lines are terrible. The 3rd in particular wouldn't be able to get out of its own way. When has Lundqvist ever played on the right?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:06 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
that is some crazy talk, Turco was great. He stopped something like 38 shots. Yea, yea it's a team game and all that nonsense but Turco has been playing brilliantly lately. Without his effort the Stars wouldn't have even made it to OT.

Old
02-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
O yes.

The great team that managed to get out shot 15-0 in the 2nd period at one point and gave up 43 shots overall.

Please. Turco is the only reason we even came close to picking up 2 points last night.

Old
02-17-2009, 12:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I just don't think so. Shots were still going through him, he still had bad form, and the Jackets couldn't finish. A ton of their shots weren't good chances either or were from the perimeter. The 2 goals should've been stopped. Completely deked out on 2 of the shootout attempts.

Turco's main contribution came from his puck-handling, which was excellent.

Columbus was playing a lot like the Ducks of past years. Running around, hitting, dumping pucks in and then chasing. We all know Turco kills that style of play and then the Stars counter-attack and usually end up winning. Same script played out last night.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Kritter471

Quote:

And Kritter, sorry, but those lines are terrible. The 3rd in particular wouldn't be able to get out of its own way. When has Lundqvist ever played on the right?
Honestly, I didn't put that much thought into them. The main concern is center depth, and the Stars definitely do have that.

And if you don't think Turco was a huge part of winning that game, you weren't paying much attention. A team doesn't give up 43 shots and get to say they, not the goaltender, won the game.

Old
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Chad_

Here's an interesting note on Steve Mason and the Stars original interest in the kid. The quote is from former Blue Jackets GM Doug McLean.
Quote:
"Don Boyd is from London [Ontario]," MacLean said. "So he started talking to me about this kid named Steve Mason. He only played 12 games in London [OHL] that year. He played some junior B, as well. So, we sent Rick Wamsley in there to watch him practice, and Boyd caught him as much as he could. So we went to the draft that year; it wasn't a great draft, and we had the draft coming to Columbus the next year, and I wanted to add an extra pick for that.

"Boyd, Paul Castron [on the scouting staff at the time, director of amateur scouting for the Jackets today] and Wamsley guaranteed me we'd get Mason with the third pick because not a lot of people knew him at the time. So I traded my second pick and got that extra pick for the draft in Columbus, just to make it a little more exciting for the home fans in 2007, although it didn't matter since I got fired anyway [laughs]. "Anyway, we moved down and we got him with the third pick. Since then, I heard from Tim Bernhardt [Stars director of amateur scouting] in Dallas, and he said they were devastated because they were going to take him with their third pick."
Mason was picked in the third round, pick number 69. The Stars next pick was the 90th overall in the third, and the team drafted Aaron Snow.

Who knows if Mason would have lasted to pick 90, but only one other goalie was picked between the two picks after Mason. According to McLean, he knows of two other teams interested in Mason, including one team picking right behind them in the third round.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Captain Awesome

Wow, we should have definitely moved up to get him if that was the case. That's an ouch for the stars who could really use an understudy for Turco now. Well, hindsight is 20/20 and that kid wouldn't have been picked in the 3rd round if we knew then what we know now.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Doug19

Quote:
I just don't think so. Shots were still going through him, he still had bad form, and the Jackets couldn't finish. A ton of their shots weren't good chances either or were from the perimeter. The 2 goals should've been stopped. Completely deked out on 2 of the shootout attempts.

Turco's main contribution came from his puck-handling, which was excellent.

Columbus was playing a lot like the Ducks of past years. Running around, hitting, dumping pucks in and then chasing. We all know Turco kills that style of play and then the Stars counter-attack and usually end up winning. Same script played out last night.

Spot on. I remember cursing at my T.V. lastnight because we kept dumping it in. It's like what's the point? Turco is just going to get the puck and send it the other way. I was really, really cursing Turco's puck handling skills lastnight. He won that game for the Stars easily. I'm not trying to troll or anything but Dallas as a team did not bring there game. Neal look great as usual but the rest of the team wasn't that great. Turco stole that game in the 2nd period. I hope we do not meet in the playoffs because neither team will have any gas after the series we would be in for. Goodluck the rest of the way because I doubt Dallas will be the team that decides if Columbus makes it or not because they will likely keep the 5th spot even without Richards. Good luck.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 03:39 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Spot on. I remember cursing at my T.V. lastnight because we kept dumping it in. It's like what's the point? Turco is just going to get the puck and send it the other way. I was really, really cursing Turco's puck handling skills lastnight. He won that game for the Stars easily. I'm not trying to troll or anything but Dallas as a team did not bring there game. Neal look great as usual but the rest of the team wasn't that great. Turco stole that game in the 2nd period. I hope we do not meet in the playoffs because neither team will have any gas after the series we would be in for. Goodluck the rest of the way because I doubt Dallas will be the team that decides if Columbus makes it or not because they will likely keep the 5th spot even without Richards. Good luck.
I hope not. Dallas needs to get in that sweet spot known as 6th. Turco is phenomenal against Calgary and Vancouver. They're the most likely winners of that Division. Then SJ, DET, and CHI need to win as well. I think the Stars would love to have another shot at SJ and then hopefully DET.

I don't think playing CHI would be a good thing.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
So in the game last night Cololumbus had 23 PP opportunities? Its a stretch over a few games there chief!
Dude, I know what I said and I know what I meant. The comment was made after our game as if it was a finalization.

Do me a favor and just don't talk to me at all. You're a troll and you ruin the reputation of the Stars fans around you.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I hope not. Dallas needs to get in that sweet spot known as 6th. Turco is phenomenal against Calgary and Vancouver. They're the most likely winners of that Division. Then SJ, DET, and CHI need to win as well. I think the Stars would love to have another shot at SJ and then hopefully DET.

I agree Chicago is our kryponite, just this season we have been outscored 17-7 in three games. yikes

Old
02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:

100% agree.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 300
Quote:

Bang on.

Home ice is likely out of the question, and I definitely like our chances over Calgary as opposed to the Hawks.

Gonna be taking the underdog route throughout the playoffs once again this year.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:50 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
This is going to be one rag-tag team of players heading into the playoffs. Dallas is like an NHL version of the movie Major League.

P.S.
Avery is not Ricky Vaughn.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote