HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Canadians, Bob !!!!!!!

Old
02-16-2009, 11:03 AM
primeking

vCash: 500
Draft Canadians, Bob !!!!!!!

I dont know if its been discussed around here or not AND im not racist by any means :

Ive been talking with a friend about the Habs' problems and we both realized that we lack Canadian talent. All of our talent players are Euro. Having some Euro talent is fine with me, a lot of top players come from Sweden and/or Russia, but the thing we most sorely need is caracter, speed, grit and talent ( in that order ). Timmins always goes USA or Eastern Europe on our picks. I say its time he takes a good long look at Team Canada U-17 and use some early picks to take Canadian talent instead of American college guys ( who they can keep and develop longer ) and Russians ( most of 'em arent even sure of coming over anyway ). Bottom line is : Draft Canadian !

primeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeking View Post
I dont know if its been discussed around here or not AND im not racist by any means :

Ive been talking with a friend about the Habs' problems and we both realized that we lack Canadian talent. All of our talent players are Euro. Having some Euro talent is fine with me, a lot of top players come from Sweden and/or Russia, but the thing we most sorely need is caracter, speed, grit and talent ( in that order ). Timmins always goes USA or Eastern Europe on our picks. I say its time he takes a good long look at Team Canada U-17 and use some early picks to take Canadian talent instead of American college guys ( who they can keep and develop longer ) and Russians ( most of 'em arent even sure of coming over anyway ). Bottom line is : Draft Canadian !
Of course this is not taken out the Detroit Red Wings draft handbook of building Stanley Cup winning teams through the draft with no regard to where the player comes from. But I digress, you know better

Habnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
couz

I'm not big on the East Euro's either...one dimensional hockey players most of them.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
HabsDood

It also annoyes me that tehy draft Minnesota players here and there yet the Canadians always endup winning international tournaments.. Wich are team wins..

Those Americans can't play as a team maybe? Though they diserved the win in Ottawa last time we met them, really. so this post is worthless..

Or was that Russia?

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Fire Brunet*

Well, I can't say I don't agree with you, but I'm more fine with Americans. They play the same as us Canadians, it's all good.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Who cares about their nationality, you draft the best player available

and we already draft a lot of canadian born player except maybe last year. Since 2003, Urquhart - Lapierre - O'byrne - Locke - D. Stewart - Flood - Bonneau - Chipchura - Lacasse - Gleed - G. Stewart - DulacLemelin - Price - Latendresse - Aubin - D'agostini - Paquet -Maxwell- Carle - White - Subban - Fortier - Missaien

23 canadians out of 47 picks

Last edited by Metropolitsky: 02-16-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Of course this is not taken out the Detroit Red Wings draft handbook of building Stanley Cup winning teams through the draft with no regard to where the player comes from. But I digress, you know better
There are exceptions to every general rule of thumb.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
TheCH*

I agree. Year after year our Canadian juniors win the WJ's and its time we start drafting more of those guys.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:11 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
We need more Spaniards.

Old
02-16-2009, 11:11 AM
AlexMeth

Priorities should be:

1) Canadians
2) Americans
3) Swedes or Finnish

that's it and that's all.

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
We need more Spaniards.
Ole!

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Quiet Robert

Since 2005 here are the Europeans drafted by the Canadiens:

2008 5th 138 Maxim Trunev
2007 6th 163 Nichlas Torp
2006 5th 139 Pavel Valentenko
2005 4th 121 Juraj Mikus
2005 7th 200 Sergei Kostitsyn

So I 100% agree with the OP. 1 European picked in the later rounds per year is far too many!!! 5 out of 27 is an overwhelming majority and helps explain why this team is not successful at the moment.

If you wanted to complain about drafting, complain about the focus on NCAA and USHL picks, because that's where the majority of our players are coming from. I sure hate having Komisarek, Higgins and Pacioretty on the team so you know, more guys from the CHL.

I can only pray that Timmins stops focusing on skill and potential and starts focusing on nationality. Oh man when that day comes I will be so happy.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:16 AM
primeking

Quote:
When I said top players from Sweden and Russia, it included Zett, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Franzen, Holmstrom etc...

I dont think they ( the Habs ) have the same kind of scouts and confidence about Sweden as Detroit. And im pretty sure there's not ONLY ONE way to build a cup winning team, or maybe all 29 teams except Detroit should stop playing now and give Stanley to the Red Wings right now ??

Old
02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:

Confused the hell out of me for a second there, I was thinking "I don't remember posting this".

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Doctor House

Quote:
I dont know if its been discussed around here or not
I Bottom line is : Draft Canadian !
Nah first time I hear this Canadian Draft- is it some kind of beer eh?

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:20 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
I just love how the OP started with "I don't want to sound racist or anything but..."

Oodles and gobs of win come from such statements.

Old
02-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Since 2005 here are the Europeans drafted by the Canadiens:

2008 5th 138 Maxim Trunev
2007 6th 163 Nichlas Torp
2006 5th 139 Pavel Valentenko
2005 4th 121 Juraj Mikus
2005 7th 200 Sergei Kostitsyn

So I 100% agree with the OP. 1 European picked in the later rounds per year is far too many!!! 5 out of 27 is an overwhelming majority and helps explain why this team is not successful at the moment.

If you wanted to complain about drafting, complain about the focus on NCAA and USHL picks, because that's where the majority of our players are coming from. I sure hate having Komisarek, Higgins and Pacioretty on the team so you know, more guys from the CHL.

I can only pray that Timmins stops focusing on skill and potential and starts focusing on nationality. Oh man when that day comes I will be so happy.
Zing!

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
primeking

Quote:
I just love how the OP started with "I don't want to sound racist or anything but..."

Oodles and gobs of win come from such statements.
Seriously, just wanted to give my opinion, not wanted to start a word war. If you disagree, good for you.

Old
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I think his point is that many of our euros are one dimensional soft players who care more about winning the world championships then the stanley cup.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Habs

Quote:
I dont know if its been discussed around here !
You had to wonder if this has been discussed here?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Habs_46

Quote:
We need more Spaniards.
I tend to agree.

Habs_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:28 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
lol my thoughts exactly

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

This is a useless thread, draft the best player available regardless of where he is from. That formula obviously works, our drafgting is much much better than it was 10 years ago.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:30 AM
nnynetpotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I agree. Year after year our Canadian juniors win the WJ's and its time we start drafting more of those guys.
Like a goalie,maybe...

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 11:30 AM
muzion

f nationality, what this team needs is better top 2 centres to complement our talented wingers...

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote