HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will the Leafs underestimate the Pens on Thurs...

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2004, 01:41 PM
stardog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
Give credit for what? The Pens were still awful. It was all on the Goaltenders.
Last time I checked the goaltenders are still part of the orginization...hold on a sec...

Yep, according to the Pens official website, Caron and Aubin are still members of the Pens.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:44 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
I pray to God the Pens go 11-0.

It would be an awful shame to have Ovechkin play for such a pathetic organization.
Great. This is the crap i am talking about. Extremley classless and ignorant statements such as this are not needed.
Grow the hell up.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

the bottom line here:

everyone knew, from the start, that if the Pens pulled out a victory last night, that there would be a legion of Leafs fans making excuses for it. No one should be surprised, and there shouldn't be so much bickering about it, either. Just accept the loss and move on. On the same hand, Pens fans don't need to rub it in, either.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
If Ovechkin doesn't influence the city of Pittsburgh to build a new arena, that team won't be around much longer.
You must be the biggest sore loser on this site. They beat your team, and then you mock their franchise, call them flukes and say they won't be around long. Grow the Hell up and give some dues.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

What I don't get is the glee some posters seem to get from the idea that a team that's been in the league for almost 40 years could be moved from a fan base that loves it.

Was it funny as hell to everyone that Hartford moved to Carolina? That a Quebec team on the verge of winning a Cup took their act to Denver and had a parade there? That another Canadian team moved to the freaking desert of Arizona?

Sheesh, I get the rivalry thing, but using factors out of a fan's control to bash a team doesn't seem right to me.

Will the league be a better place if the Pens reside in Portland or are the Houston Comets or the Oklahoma City Wranglers? I'm sure the hockey fans in Portland or Houston or Oklahoma City will be pleased to have an NHL team, just as the Raleigh area is, and the Denver fans are and the Phoenix fans are. One question though, how does that help the Leafs or Rangers?

Old
03-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Thanks for the defence here Handsome, he obviously doesn't get it.
What is there to get? You laugh when the Leafs lose to the Pens and think it ends their cup chances. The Flyers lose to the Pens, but it's okay because they are in the same division.

Yes, how did I not see this earlier? It makes sense, really it does.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
They'll still dominate though.
Boy, it sure is impressive that you've racked up over 9,000 items of lucid precognition and expert analysis such as this little tidbit.

S L

Old
03-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Hot goalies.

A lot of flukey saves.
How about capitalizing on scoring chances? Kidd didn't have as bad of a game as you make it out to be.

Blaming KIdd now isn't going to get you any farther in April.

S L

Last edited by Steve Latin: 03-12-2004 at 02:17 PM.
Old
03-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_101
Dude, the shots were 47-17. Pens were lucky.
Give the D credit. They let Caron see the shots and gave him time to react. I'd rather have 30 unscreened shots on net than 10 screened.

S L

Old
03-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:

It would be an awful shame to have Ovechkin play for such a pathetic organization.
What a bunch of ****. Sour grapes.

S L

Last edited by Steve Latin: 03-12-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old
03-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc
No because the Leaf fans support their team win or lose unlike the Pen fans. Even when our old player retire we will just go sign your star players because you can't afford them.
More ****. More sour grapes.

S L

Last edited by Steve Latin: 03-12-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old
03-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Disgusting attitude? I'm sure you Pens fans weren't complaining when you were snapping up the likes of Paul Coffey, Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson and Tom Barrasso from teams that couldn't afford them.
We weren't complaining, but we weren't calling out the fans of those organizations about them not "supporting" their team. That's just classless and juevenile.

Quote:
Also, supporting your team means going out to the games. 11,000 attendance isn't something to be bragging about.
It is when you are sporting an "AHL level team" at NHL prices, as some of you posters so eloquently put it.

S L

Old
03-12-2004, 02:27 PM
GoRyanMalone

Quote:

My favorite Leafs moment is Sundin's impossible backhander over Beezer's shoulder in the 1999 playoffs. Steve Thomas was awesome that year too.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:52 PM
GoRyanMalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Dear Pittsburgh Penguins,

Please keep it up. Eight point gap, and shrinking.

With Love,

-Washington Caps
Thank you for this post. We'll do that.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:36 PM
DJ Spinoza

I might do the impossible and root for the Flyers if they meet up to the Leafs.

Let it go, it was one game.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly>
Also when arguing about the support the Pen's have in Pgh, you need to look at all the facts.

The Pens have the 4th highest TV ratings in the NHL this season, even during the 18 game losing streak.

They have consistently been in the top 5 for over a decade.

Pens also used to only have 6,000 people in the stands Pre-Mario, yet they still survived.

11,000 people at each game, when the team has lost 14 home games in a row, speaks volumes about the support the Pens have in Pgh.
The league is a gate driven league. If TV ratings meant that much to revenues, Pittsburgh would be on easy street wouldn't they?

I don't care how you spin it. Chicago is a godawful team. They average about 13000. The Caps are in terrible shape, they average about 14000. Florida Panthers: 15000+.

http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/sports...attendance.jsp

I'm sure there are a lot of passionate Pens fans, but don't tell me support for this team is strong because there's a lot of activity on message boards and a lot of people watching them on TV. The support really isn't there at the gate, AHL team or not.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:41 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
You must be the biggest sore loser on this site. They beat your team, and then you mock their franchise, call them flukes and say they won't be around long. Grow the Hell up and give some dues.
The Penguins will not be around much longer if the acquisition of Alexander Ovechkin doesn't influence the city to build them another building.

It's a fact.

They have the crappiest building in the league and are one of the worst teams in the NHL... even though they beat the Maple Leafs last night.

If you're arguing that, I don't know what else to say.

Old
03-12-2004, 05:13 PM
stardog

Quote:
The league is a gate driven league. If TV ratings meant that much to revenues, Pittsburgh would be on easy street wouldn't they?

I don't care how you spin it. Chicago is a godawful team. They average about 13000. The Caps are in terrible shape, they average about 14000. Florida Panthers: 15000+.

http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/sports...attendance.jsp

I'm sure there are a lot of passionate Pens fans, but don't tell me support for this team is strong because there's a lot of activity on message boards and a lot of people watching them on TV. The support really isn't there at the gate, AHL team or not.
No. You said that there was a lack of support. You said nothing about revenue. Lack of revenue does NOT neccesarily translate into a lack of support. There are mitigating factors which contribute to this.
That is simply changing the argument to fit your statement when your original argument was refuted (and nicely refuted).

And why on earth cant we cite television ratings or message boards to support our claims? Those ARE in fact, methods of supporting your team.

Pittsburgh also is in financial straights as a city right now. The team is not a very good one, and Pittsburgh is an event town.

You look at the average attendance and make assumptions based on those, without considering that there are reasons that go beyond "lack of fan support".

You are speaking from a position of ignorance, unless you have lived there recently or know the culture. Neither of which seems to be the case, basing this assumption on your posts.

Last edited by stardog: 03-12-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old
03-12-2004, 05:20 PM
stardog

Quote:
The Penguins will not be around much longer if the acquisition of Alexander Ovechkin doesn't influence the city to build them another building.

It's a fact.

They have the crappiest building in the league and are one of the worst teams in the NHL... even though they beat the Maple Leafs last night.

I would suggest that you either stop posting about this topic, or do some research before you post. Like Stephen, you are posting from a position of ignorance and it shows.

The "city" has nothing to do with any of the proposed arenas. The money is coming from an existing tax, called the RAD tax. It is a pre existing tax used specifically for the purpose of arenas, museums, etc.

The bulk of the funding will come in the form of the state, and from private monies. It will also come from a slot machine legislation.

As for Alexander Ovechkin, do you really believe that someone in the city is going to be "influenced" (as you put it) enough and say, "Hell we might as well build a new arena for the city, considering the Penguins just drafted an 18 year old from Russia. All the concerts and trade shows not coming to the area weren't enough. Now we HAVE a reason for a new arena".

And this still doesnt answer your classless post calling the orginization "pathetic".

I am sick of defending the orginization to people who know nothing about it. People such as yourself.

Last edited by stardog: 03-12-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old
03-12-2004, 05:24 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:

It's a fact.

i dont think he's arguing that point, i think he's saying your a sore loser.
which you are.
after reading some of this thread i now realize have sad and pathetic most leaf fans are(not all, though it's very close).
i find it funny that all these comments on the pens "poor attendance", "crappiest building in the league", "worst team in the nhl" are raised by a bunch of sore losers who are only saying it becuase there team lost, grow up and realize that almost every franchise goes through its highs and lows but only sad pathetic people like you guyz are exploiting it.
i seem to recall a time when your franchise headed by ballard waz a laughing stock of the league for 10 -15 years.

Old
03-12-2004, 05:25 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
i dont think he's arguing that point, i think he's saying your a sore loser.
which you are.
after reading some of this thread i now realize have sad and pathetic most leaf fans are(not all, though it's very close).
i find it funny that all these comments are raised on the pens "poor attendance", "crappiest building in the league", "worst team in the nhl" are raised by a bunch of sore losers who are only saying it becuase there team lost, grow up and realize that almost every franchise goes through its highs and lows but only sad pathetic people like you guyz are exploiting it.
i seem to recall a time when your franchise headed by ballard waz a laughing stock of the league for 10 -15 years.
here here!!!

Old
03-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
You are a Shab fan, who hates the Leafs. Enough said.

Old
03-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
here here!!!
You are applauding this idiots biased view of Maple Leaf fans?

Old
03-12-2004, 05:36 PM
stardog

Quote:
You are a Shab fan. Enough said.
Does his being a fan of a given team make what he is saying any less true?
I visit the Leafs boards and discuss hockey with them frequently. I have no problem with most of them.
I have a problem with people who take cheap shots at my team, when they are unneccesary, rude and ignorant.
There was no need, or reason to make the comments about the Penguins that some fans of the Leafs did in this thread.
It makes them look childish, and it makes them look like sore losers.
Perpasn't the case, but the perception generally seems to be backed up by thier posts.
Instead of showing respect, they lashed out. Instead of giving a team props, they used excuses.
I am sorry, but that is no way to gain respect or to win an argument. It is immature and a poor example of sportsmanship.

Old
03-12-2004, 05:36 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
You are a Shab fan, who hates the Leafs. Enough said.
oh did i hurt your feeling?
i apologise.

BTW calling me an idiot proves my point more so, and i dont hate the leafs just there cocky and egotistical fans.

Closed Thread