HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mathieu Schneider and conditional pick to MTL for 2nd round (2009) + 3rd round (2010)

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Per press conference:
  • Habs still have enough cap space to add a major salary through trade after the acquisition of Schneider due to players who have been placed on LTIR, including Lang

• Gainey says that they were also exploring other options on defense but those teams weren't ready to decide if/when they were going to move assets

• Gainey said Schneider brings experience, puck moving and help on the PP

• Gainey says that there is still a possibility for another trade

Old
02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Maybe you should wait until he actually plays a game before judging how good/bad it is.
Why would he bother? He's obviously always rights, facts and most elementary caution be damned. Since he's always so obviously right, he has no need to look at anything.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Gainey said that we won't acquire any big players ($5M+)
That's not what he said. He said that there was still room for another trade.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:18 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Truth hurts?
i think he meant that you're getting annoying with all your crying. Let the man play and talk if it doesn't pan out.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
le_sean

Quote:
2 power play points. Minus ten. Thirty nine years old.

Just what we needed. Wasn't Schneider available for nothing earlier on in the season? Couldn't we have wasted 5 million dollars on Streit instead?
Atlanta Thrashers.

Top PP unit: Hainsey and Kovalchuk on the POINT. Therefore he was playing with ****ing Enstrom and Christensen on the 2nd unit.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
i think he meant that you're getting annoying with all your crying. Let the man play and talk if it doesn't pan out.
Robert Lang is still not fresh enough in memory I guess.

Old
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Fine, my logic is flawed about the cap situation. However I don't see how he helps us AT ALL.
Do you know what a first pass is? Do you know what veteran leadership means? Do you know what a shot from the point is? Do you understand what a trickle down affect is? A shake up?.....

Old
mlandry

Quote:
Atlanta Thrashers.

Top PP unit: Hainsey and Kovalchuk on the POINT. Therefore he was playing with ****ing Enstrom and Christensen on the 2nd unit.

And as for getting him when he was on waiver, no one saw this defensive meltdown coming. These are the type of things you deal with as they come.

Old
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Why would he bother? He's obviously always rights, facts and most elementary caution be damned. Since he's always so obviously right, he has no need to look at anything.
How about you defend how this move is any good? He's old. He's been injured twice already this season. He cost more than he should have. He has two power play points all season with a powerplay that's ranked higher than ours. He's a minus ten. He's not considered a physical defenceman. And just because he's old doesn't mean he's a leader. Especially if there is a sense of Carbonneau losing the room, bringing in an old buddy of his certainly doesn't help make matters any less volatile.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:21 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Proven Vets ?

Give me a break, Schneider is done. That guy was on WAIVER a few months ago.
He was on waivers because Burke shot himself in the foot with salaries. Niedermayer and Selanne came back, Schneider was only there as a band-aid solution. Teams knew he was handcuffed so why give an asset for him when they could have him for free which was inevitably going to happen?

Old
wolfinhabsclothing

Quote:
More youth and draft picks gone and not addressing the problem. Sweet, thanks for making the next two weeks even more gloomy.
By no means does this deal do much for the Habs, but it does give them a veteran presence at the point, an experienced PP quarterback, and a leader in the room who knows what it takes to play, and win, in Montreal. O'Byrne has been sent down so, if Schneider is healthy, the Habs have upgraded their D. Plus, I doubt Gainey is done.

Re the actual deal - the Habs gave a 2nd in 2009 (they had two I believe), and 3rd in 2010, but also received a conditional pick in return for Schneider. The conditional pick is a 3rd if the Habs miss the playoffs or lose in the first round, a 4th if they lose in the second round, or a 5th if they lose later in the playoffs. So, if he doesn't help the Habs, and they get eliminated early, he only cost them a 2nd rounder - which is fair market value for a guy with his track record.

Old
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Robert Lang is still not fresh enough in memory I guess.
I was happy to see Robert Lang coming with the Habs. I'm not happy with Schenider. Lang had some gas left in the tank.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Atlanta Thrashers.

And their powerplay is ranked higher than ours is. He chips in on two powerplay goals. He couldn't even get a secondary assist on one of the higher ranked powerplay teams. He's certainly the solution.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
MontrealHabs

Quote:
How about you defend how this move is any good? He's old. He's been injured twice already this season. He cost more than he should have. He has two power play points all season with a powerplay that's ranked higher than ours. He's a minus ten. He's not considered a physical defenceman. And just because he's old doesn't mean he's a leader. Especially if there is a sense of Carbonneau losing the room, bringing in an old buddy of his certainly doesn't help make matters any less volatile.
Amen !

Old
02-16-2009, 04:23 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Fine, my logic is flawed about the cap situation. However I don't see how he helps us AT ALL.
Personally, Id rather have Scheider than Obyrne in the line up. Any day a week, twice on Sunday.

Obviously he is no JBo, but this leads me to believe that the price for the premium Dman is astronomical. M-S is still serviceable and adds a good shot to our PP...to counter your PP argument of earlier, Kovalchuk is the go to guy with the Trashers, not Matt. He wont be the go to guy here either, but it opens up a good shot that may make the defenders think twice about cheating down low.

And really, the 2 draft picks is not a high Price for a veteran on the point.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:23 PM
le_sean

Quote:
And their powerplay is ranked higher than ours is. He chips in on two powerplay goals. He couldn't even get a secondary assist on one of the higher ranked powerplay teams. He's certainly the solution.
Well if I had the stats for how many PP goals each unit got I'd give them to you. But clearly their 1st unit got the majority of time and points.

If you were happy with Josh ****ing Gorges on the PP, that's fine. I know I wasn't and it was absolutely embarassing to watch.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:24 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Do you know what a first pass is? Do you know what veteran leadership means? Do you know what a shot from the point is? Do you understand what a trickle down affect is? A shake up?.....
A first pass to whom? The system isn't even designed/executed properly for anyone to receive a first pass. I know what veteran leadership is, being old does not make you a leader. I know what a shot from the point is, I know that his has only scored one powerplay goal. Hell he's tied for Gorges for that, isn't he? A shake up? How? Sending down a young defenceman who was playing better than most of the other defenceman? By not addressing the real problems with the team? What trickle down affect? Oh no, if we don't win we might lose more draft picks! I doubt the actual players give a **** about that.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:24 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
That's not what he said. He said that there was still room for another trade.
Lol...wow...thats the complete opposite.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:25 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Well if I had the stats for how many PP goals each unit got I'd give them to you. But clearly their 1st unit got the majority of time and points.

If you were happy with Josh ****ing Gorges on the PP, that's fine. I know I wasn't and it was absolutely embarassing to watch.
Mr. Kostitsyn had a nice slap shot goal last night. He has a pretty heavy shot. Maybe he should've gotten a look for a bit over Gorges. It's not like having an actual defenceman back there has prevented any shorthanded breaks against us recently.

Old
Lone Rogue

Quote:

Old
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I've been thinking,

This is totally a Gainey move.

This could have been 1999 and Bob does the same kind of move with the Stars. Dallas won the cup and Bob built it with old farts.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:26 PM
mlandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings
1) Read what people write; he wasn't on their first PP unit, he was playing with terrible players on the 2nd unit.
2)Injuries happen. I'd like to think he's gotten them out of the way for this season. It's a risk to take.
3)He doesn't cost us much, ATL paid most of his salary, and the picks we gave for him aren't that bad (we also get a conditional pick)
4) He may or may not be a leader, but he's a won the cup before, and he knows what to do. He's played in MTL before so he knows what to expect as well.

Old
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Per CKAC:

- Lang is now on the LTIR.

- Habs cap cruncher Julien Brisebois found a loop of some sort in the CBA making it so that the Habs have an amount of money still left that could be used to bring in another salary.

Bob Speaks...

- Schneider is the kind of player that was identified as a need by the org. He says that the PP has been lacking. he says he can play on the PP, has experience, who knows the Montreal pressure.

- Schneider fits under the cap. He says that he's been saying for a while that he was looking for a D-Man.

- Bob looked across the league and it seems like many teams will try to achieve their season's goal before releasing their players to trades. Many players have been in and out of the marketplace.

- Bob says it is possible there could be other trades.

- The trade was made yesterday.

- Bob says he doesn't identify a position in particular which he needs to improve just yet.

- Bob says we don't have space for another 5-6 millions player.

- Schneider is a good passer, he can create plays, he brings experience, he is very excited about returning, he wants to come in and blend good, he plays both sides, he still has a shot that can score from 50 feet. He says the Habs didn't get results from point men this year.
wasnt there a clause in the CBA that basically said we will fine you if you find a loophole, void what you did, and remove the loophole from the CBA? I doubt its a loophole...its likely something "legal"

Old
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
he doesnt play with the first unit tho...look at the drop off in points after the first 5 players...jason williams has the most with 6 pp points.

he will have more a chance to contribute on our first or 2nd wave then he had in atl.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I have every right to bash a move that I think makes absolutely no sense and doesn't address the problems with the team right now.

Closed Thread