HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Schneider to Habs for draft picks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
  #1
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
Schneider to Habs for draft picks

Quote:
The Atlanta Thrashers have traded defenceman Mathieu Schneider to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for draft picks.

Schneider previously played for the Canadiens from the 1989-90 season to the 1994-95 campaign.

This season, the New York native has 4 goals and 11 assists in 44 games.

The 39 year-old was selected in the third round (44th overall) of the 1987 NHL Entry Draft. A very well-traveled veteran, Schneider has had stints with the Canadiens, Islanders, Maple Leafs, Rangers, Kings, Red Wings, Ducks and Thrashers.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2673...=headlines_nhl

It doesn't say what the picks are, but Schneider is gone.

Hopefully Exelby follows him out the door.

Lux Aurumque* is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 01:38 PM
  #2
Selanne08*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
2nd and 3rd.

very nice move by the thrash.

Selanne08* is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
  #3
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 50
Strange that they made the move now, rather than on deadline day, but I guess it does save ownership a few more bucks. A 2nd and a 3rd is a pretty decent return, especially this far from the deadline.

misfit is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 01:41 PM
  #4
Yzerplan
I has one.
 
Yzerplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
I want the specific details about the picks, it just says a 2nd and 3rd. It could be a conditional 2nd and a 2010 3rd, or a 2009 2nd and a conditional 2010 3rd or about a million other possibilities. Just saying a 2nd and a 3rd isn't going to cut it, TSN.

Seriously though Schneider was just dealt to the team I hate the most, so I can't wish him success there unfortunately.

Yzerplan is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
  #5
Selanne08*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
I want the specific details about the picks, it just says a 2nd and 3rd. It could be a conditional 2nd and a 2010 3rd, or a 2009 2nd and a conditional 2010 3rd or about a million other possibilities. Just saying a 2nd and a 3rd isn't going to cut it, TSN.

Seriously though Schneider was just dealt to the team I hate the most, so I can't wish him success there unfortunately.
if its 2nd and 3rd in 09 then BRAVO. but still.. this is good for the Thrash. Mass draft picks for the rebuild

Selanne08* is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 01:47 PM
  #6
PeteNJ
Registered User
 
PeteNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Nice deal. It would be better if I had any faith in the FO's drafting ability.

If your name isn't Kovalchuk, Bogo, Lehtonen, Enstrom. Little or Pavalec you can go. Trade them all! It's Crazy Eddie (Donnie)! Everything must go!

Solidifying hockey in Atlanta begins with Tavarez. Period.

PeteNJ is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
  #7
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,896
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Sorry to see him go. Hope he and Bogosian keep in touch.

Still, draft picks are nice. Wish we could have secured a prospect too, but maybe those will be the building blocks that help the (hopefully new) GM rebuild this team.

dj4aces is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
  #8
Selanne08*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNJ View Post
Nice deal. It would be better if I had any faith in the FO's drafting ability.

If your name isn't Kovalchuk, Bogo, Lehtonen, Enstrom. Little or Pavalec you can go. Trade them all! It's Crazy Eddie (Donnie)! Everything must go!

Solidifying hockey in Atlanta begins with Tavarez. Period.
Or Hedman + a FA center?

Selanne08* is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
  #9
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Good move for the Thrash. . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
  #10
CapsWolverinesUSA
Registered User
 
CapsWolverinesUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,134
vCash: 500
Good trade for the Trash. Any confirmation that both picks are 2009 picks?

EDIT: Oh, 3rd rounder is 2010. Sorry.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
  #11
TasteofFlames
Registered User
 
TasteofFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
Or Hedman + a FA center?
If we can't suck as much as the Islanders, than I'll take it!

TasteofFlames is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
  #12
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,669
vCash: 500
It is about what I thought we would get. Not bad.

I am glad that one of Oystrick or Valabik will see more ice time down the stretch.

It will be interesting to see how the boys react tonight, you don't see too many trades in the middle of back to back games on the road.

btn is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 02:11 PM
  #13
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
The Habs also get a conditional pick in this year's draft. It better be a low pick...

Lux Aurumque* is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 02:28 PM
  #14
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
The Habs also get a conditional pick in this year's draft. It better be a low pick...
http://www.ajc.com/thrashers/content...schneider.html

I don't like this part too much, it is a 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounder this year. I would wager if the Habs miss the playoffs they get the 3rd.

btn is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
  #15
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
http://www.ajc.com/thrashers/content...schneider.html

I don't like this part too much, it is a 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounder this year. I would wager if the Habs miss the playoffs they get the 3rd.
Well good thing New York and Pittsburgh are terrible.

DungeonK is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 02:39 PM
  #16
The Sneak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Georgia
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
http://www.ajc.com/thrashers/content...schneider.html

I don't like this part too much, it is a 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounder this year. I would wager if the Habs miss the playoffs they get the 3rd.

So it went from ****** the Habs to a win. We move a high salaried 39 year old not having his finest season for a net 2nd rounder and potentially plus. I don't see a single thing wrong with that.

Job well done by the Thrashers general manager.

The Sneak is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 02:55 PM
  #17
The Maltais Falcon
Registered User
 
The Maltais Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
So it went from ****** the Habs to a win. We move a high salaried 39 year old not having his finest season for a net 2nd rounder and potentially plus. I don't see a single thing wrong with that.

Job well done by the Thrashers general manager.
Yup. Very well done. Don has always - Coburn trade notwithstanding - been a good trader of assets. My worry is he'll use the the 2nd and 3rd rounders to pick the next Andrew Kozek and Zdenek Blatny.

The Maltais Falcon is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 03:02 PM
  #18
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Hi, Habs fan here.. Just wondering how Schneider was doing for you this year? Was he used on the first PP unit? thx

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 03:05 PM
  #19
The Maltais Falcon
Registered User
 
The Maltais Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
No, Ron Hainsey was the defenseman getting the most power play time (Kovalchuk usually played the other point with the first unit.)

Honestly, Schneider was a disappointment for us. I think he's at a point in his career where he can't be expected to carry a bad team (like Atlanta) but he can provide solid minutes on a good team where he has lots of support (like Anaheim and possibly Montreal.) He should be better for you than he was for us. That said, I still like the deal from our end.

For what it's worth, someone noted on the Trades board that Montreal had already traded their own second rounder, so what we got today must be the second they acquired from Anaheim previously.

The Maltais Falcon is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 03:35 PM
  #20
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
For what it's worth, someone noted on the Trades board that Montreal had already traded their own second rounder, so what we got today must be the second they acquired from Anaheim previously.
So the day after we beat them 8-4, we make a deal to get the Ducks 2nd round pick this year......interesting.

So we need to root against the Ducks down the stretch to get the best 2nd round pick possible, and we need to root for the Habs so we give up the lowest 2009 pick possible.

btn is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 03:36 PM
  #21
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
No, Ron Hainsey was the defenseman getting the most power play time (Kovalchuk usually played the other point with the first unit.)

Honestly, Schneider was a disappointment for us. I think he's at a point in his career where he can't be expected to carry a bad team (like Atlanta) but he can provide solid minutes on a good team where he has lots of support (like Anaheim and possibly Montreal.) He should be better for you than he was for us. That said, I still like the deal from our end.

For what it's worth, someone noted on the Trades board that Montreal had already traded their own second rounder, so what we got today must be the second they acquired from Anaheim previously.
Thx for the infos..

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
  #22
Selanne08*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
So the day after we beat them 8-4, we make a deal to get the Ducks 2nd round pick this year......interesting.

So we need to root against the Ducks down the stretch to get the best 2nd round pick possible, and we need to root for the Habs so we give up the lowest 2009 pick possible.
yeah sadly anaheim will make the playoffs and probably out of the 1st round. they are a playoff team not a regular season team. but we can dream

Selanne08* is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
  #23
Enstrom39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Strange that they made the move now, rather than on deadline day, but I guess it does save ownership a few more bucks. A 2nd and a 3rd is a pretty decent return, especially this far from the deadline.
My guess is that teams were offering a 2nd for Schneider and DW probably said "first one of you that offers me MORE than a 2nd wins." and Montreal bit.

Another factor to keep in mind that if you wait until the deadline to make this deal, the supply of D might actually grow as other teams fall out of the race. At the moment there are only about 5 clear sellers, might be more in a week.

Enstrom39 is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
  #24
Robotic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Awesome, Schneider seemed like a really good guy but I didn't like that Valabik and Oystrick were being healthy scratches while a player with no future in the organization took up valuable ice time. Like Lux said, Exelby needs to hit the road too.

Robotic is offline  
Old
02-16-2009, 04:58 PM
  #25
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
My guess is that teams were offering a 2nd for Schneider and DW probably said "first one of you that offers me MORE than a 2nd wins." and Montreal bit.

Another factor to keep in mind that if you wait until the deadline to make this deal, the supply of D might actually grow as other teams fall out of the race. At the moment there are only about 5 clear sellers, might be more in a week.
Yeah, your second point isn't something I thought about until after I made my post. I actually think Waddell did alright for himself in this deal, even with the conditional pick added. Especially when you think about the load of dung they gave up to get Schneider in the first place.

misfit is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.