Schneider to Habs for draft picks

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Schneider to Habs for draft picks

Quote:
The Atlanta Thrashers have traded defenceman Mathieu Schneider to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for draft picks.

Schneider previously played for the Canadiens from the 1989-90 season to the 1994-95 campaign.

This season, the New York native has 4 goals and 11 assists in 44 games.

The 39 year-old was selected in the third round (44th overall) of the 1987 NHL Entry Draft. A very well-traveled veteran, Schneider has had stints with the Canadiens, Islanders, Maple Leafs, Rangers, Kings, Red Wings, Ducks and Thrashers.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2673...=headlines_nhl

It doesn't say what the picks are, but Schneider is gone.

Hopefully Exelby follows him out the door.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Selanne08*

2nd and 3rd.

very nice move by the thrash.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Strange that they made the move now, rather than on deadline day, but I guess it does save ownership a few more bucks. A 2nd and a 3rd is a pretty decent return, especially this far from the deadline.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

I want the specific details about the picks, it just says a 2nd and 3rd. It could be a conditional 2nd and a 2010 3rd, or a 2009 2nd and a conditional 2010 3rd or about a million other possibilities. Just saying a 2nd and a 3rd isn't going to cut it, TSN.

Seriously though Schneider was just dealt to the team I hate the most, so I can't wish him success there unfortunately.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
I want the specific details about the picks, it just says a 2nd and 3rd. It could be a conditional 2nd and a 2010 3rd, or a 2009 2nd and a conditional 2010 3rd or about a million other possibilities. Just saying a 2nd and a 3rd isn't going to cut it, TSN.

Seriously though Schneider was just dealt to the team I hate the most, so I can't wish him success there unfortunately.
if its 2nd and 3rd in 09 then BRAVO. but still.. this is good for the Thrash. Mass draft picks for the rebuild

Old
02-16-2009, 01:47 PM
PeteNJ

Nice deal. It would be better if I had any faith in the FO's drafting ability.

If your name isn't Kovalchuk, Bogo, Lehtonen, Enstrom. Little or Pavalec you can go. Trade them all! It's Crazy Eddie (Donnie)! Everything must go!

Solidifying hockey in Atlanta begins with Tavarez. Period.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Sorry to see him go. Hope he and Bogosian keep in touch.

Still, draft picks are nice. Wish we could have secured a prospect too, but maybe those will be the building blocks that help the (hopefully new) GM rebuild this team.

Old
02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNJ View Post
Nice deal. It would be better if I had any faith in the FO's drafting ability.

If your name isn't Kovalchuk, Bogo, Lehtonen, Enstrom. Little or Pavalec you can go. Trade them all! It's Crazy Eddie (Donnie)! Everything must go!

Solidifying hockey in Atlanta begins with Tavarez. Period.
Or Hedman + a FA center?

Old
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Good move for the Thrash. . .

Old
CapsWolverinesUSA

Good trade for the Trash. Any confirmation that both picks are 2009 picks?

EDIT: Oh, 3rd rounder is 2010. Sorry.

Old
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
Or Hedman + a FA center?
If we can't suck as much as the Islanders, than I'll take it!

Old
02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

It is about what I thought we would get. Not bad.

I am glad that one of Oystrick or Valabik will see more ice time down the stretch.

It will be interesting to see how the boys react tonight, you don't see too many trades in the middle of back to back games on the road.

Old
02-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Lux Aurumque*

The Habs also get a conditional pick in this year's draft. It better be a low pick...

Old
02-16-2009, 02:28 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
The Habs also get a conditional pick in this year's draft. It better be a low pick...
http://www.ajc.com/thrashers/content...schneider.html

I don't like this part too much, it is a 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounder this year. I would wager if the Habs miss the playoffs they get the 3rd.

Old
02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post

I don't like this part too much, it is a 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounder this year. I would wager if the Habs miss the playoffs they get the 3rd.
Well good thing New York and Pittsburgh are terrible.

Old
02-16-2009, 02:39 PM
The Sneak

Quote:

So it went from ****** the Habs to a win. We move a high salaried 39 year old not having his finest season for a net 2nd rounder and potentially plus. I don't see a single thing wrong with that.

Job well done by the Thrashers general manager.

Old
02-16-2009, 02:55 PM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
So it went from ****** the Habs to a win. We move a high salaried 39 year old not having his finest season for a net 2nd rounder and potentially plus. I don't see a single thing wrong with that.

Job well done by the Thrashers general manager.
Yup. Very well done. Don has always - Coburn trade notwithstanding - been a good trader of assets. My worry is he'll use the the 2nd and 3rd rounders to pick the next Andrew Kozek and Zdenek Blatny.

Old
02-16-2009, 03:02 PM
NewHabsEra*

Hi, Habs fan here.. Just wondering how Schneider was doing for you this year? Was he used on the first PP unit? thx

Old
02-16-2009, 03:05 PM
The Maltais Falcon

No, Ron Hainsey was the defenseman getting the most power play time (Kovalchuk usually played the other point with the first unit.)

Honestly, Schneider was a disappointment for us. I think he's at a point in his career where he can't be expected to carry a bad team (like Atlanta) but he can provide solid minutes on a good team where he has lots of support (like Anaheim and possibly Montreal.) He should be better for you than he was for us. That said, I still like the deal from our end.

For what it's worth, someone noted on the Trades board that Montreal had already traded their own second rounder, so what we got today must be the second they acquired from Anaheim previously.

Old
02-16-2009, 03:35 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
For what it's worth, someone noted on the Trades board that Montreal had already traded their own second rounder, so what we got today must be the second they acquired from Anaheim previously.
So the day after we beat them 8-4, we make a deal to get the Ducks 2nd round pick this year......interesting.

So we need to root against the Ducks down the stretch to get the best 2nd round pick possible, and we need to root for the Habs so we give up the lowest 2009 pick possible.

Old
02-16-2009, 03:36 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
No, Ron Hainsey was the defenseman getting the most power play time (Kovalchuk usually played the other point with the first unit.)

Honestly, Schneider was a disappointment for us. I think he's at a point in his career where he can't be expected to carry a bad team (like Atlanta) but he can provide solid minutes on a good team where he has lots of support (like Anaheim and possibly Montreal.) He should be better for you than he was for us. That said, I still like the deal from our end.

Thx for the infos..

Old
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
So the day after we beat them 8-4, we make a deal to get the Ducks 2nd round pick this year......interesting.

So we need to root against the Ducks down the stretch to get the best 2nd round pick possible, and we need to root for the Habs so we give up the lowest 2009 pick possible.
yeah sadly anaheim will make the playoffs and probably out of the 1st round. they are a playoff team not a regular season team. but we can dream

Old
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Strange that they made the move now, rather than on deadline day, but I guess it does save ownership a few more bucks. A 2nd and a 3rd is a pretty decent return, especially this far from the deadline.
My guess is that teams were offering a 2nd for Schneider and DW probably said "first one of you that offers me MORE than a 2nd wins." and Montreal bit.

Another factor to keep in mind that if you wait until the deadline to make this deal, the supply of D might actually grow as other teams fall out of the race. At the moment there are only about 5 clear sellers, might be more in a week.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Robotic

Awesome, Schneider seemed like a really good guy but I didn't like that Valabik and Oystrick were being healthy scratches while a player with no future in the organization took up valuable ice time. Like Lux said, Exelby needs to hit the road too.

Old
02-16-2009, 04:58 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
My guess is that teams were offering a 2nd for Schneider and DW probably said "first one of you that offers me MORE than a 2nd wins." and Montreal bit.

Another factor to keep in mind that if you wait until the deadline to make this deal, the supply of D might actually grow as other teams fall out of the race. At the moment there are only about 5 clear sellers, might be more in a week.
Yeah, your second point isn't something I thought about until after I made my post. I actually think Waddell did alright for himself in this deal, even with the conditional pick added. Especially when you think about the load of dung they gave up to get Schneider in the first place.

Closed Thread