Schneider to Habs for draft picks

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Enstrom39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Yeah, your second point isn't something I thought about until after I made my post. I actually think Waddell did alright for himself in this deal, even with the conditional pick added. Especially when you think about the load of dung they gave up to get Schneider in the first place.
When we traded for Schneider I figured his max trade value at the deadline would be a 1st rounder. After his slow start and lower than usual production his max return was probably a 2nd rounder.

I'm OK with just a 2nd, but there is a decent potential for the Thrashers gaining a 3rd at the cost of a 4th. That is not an inconsequential shift as the vast majority of NHLers are picked in the first three rounds. There is a drop off after the 3rd.

Old
02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Ashe

Zetterberg and Enstrom say hello

Old
02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Rene Vydareny, Jason Jaspers, Brett Angel, Tim Preston, Jason Crain, Brett Scheffelmaier, Johan Asplund, Jean-Francois Laniel, Mark Concannon, Brian Collins, Patrick Aufiero, Cory Campbell, Andre Lakos, Chris Dyment, David Kaczowka, Rob Zepp, Teemu Kesa, Johan Halvardsson, Morgan McCormick, Alexandr Chagodayev, Roman Rozakov, Evan Lindsay, Rod Sarich, Jonathan Zion, Sanny Lindstrom, Chad Starling, Ryan Lauzon, Karel Mosovsky, Jeff Feniak, Jari Tolsa, Preston Mizzi, Daniel Johansson, and the other 90% of players drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds who go on to do absolutely nothing would all like to say hi.

Old
02-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Ashe

If you want, i can start listening 1st rounders, that have been drafted and done nothing as well?
There might be a drop off, but its not impossible for them to make it. We surpsingly do pretty decent late round, its our early rounds that, not so much

Old
02-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Georgia Dawg

Good trade for the Thrashers. DW did okay with this one, but he still needs to be fired.

Old
02-16-2009, 07:27 PM
The Sneak

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...schneider.html

AJC article about the move and I have to say that I'm not that impressed with a couple things.

1. Sounds as if Gainey was driving this entire process.

- Why wouldn't our general manager be driving this through the other GMs escalating interest. Were there no other suitors?

2. Gainey set the deadline.
- Forcing Waddell into a decision now? Gives more credence to the fact that there must not have been another team identfied for Schneiders services

3. Montreal would not relent on offering the prospects he wanted in exchange.

- Why wouldn't he simply walk away?

Maybe Montreal was overpaying beyond anything else offered adn Waddell didn't want them to wiggle off the hook. Perhaps there was no interest anywhere else in the league. Regardless, it just didn't read like Atlanta was controlling the negotiations for our asset.

Old
02-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post

AJC article about the move and I have to say that I'm not that impressed with a couple things.

- Why wouldn't our general manager be driving this through the other GMs escalating interest. Were there no other suitors?

- Forcing Waddell into a decision now? Gives more credence to the fact that there must not have been another team identfied for Schneiders services

Maybe Montreal was overpaying beyond anything else offered adn Waddell didn't want them to wiggle off the hook. Perhaps there was no interest anywhere else in the league. Regardless, it just didn't read like Atlanta was controlling the negotiations for our asset.
if this is true, that is def. not something positive about DW as a GM. But again, what is?

Old
02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Ashe

Guys, lets look at it this way.
We got rid of him.
We got a 2nd round pick for him.
More then we could EVER ask.

Old
02-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:

Gainey remembers the Hossa situation last year. He probably does not really like dealing with DW after last year.

Old
02-16-2009, 09:45 PM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
Gainey remembers the Hossa situation last year. He probably does not really like dealing with DW after last year.
And? More reason for DW to stick to his guns. so does this mean we can set the terms for deals with the Blues (tkachuk) and Flyers (zhitnik)? Gainey's a big boy.

Old
02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
And? More reason for DW to stick to his guns. so does this mean we can set the terms for deals with the Blues (tkachuk) and Flyers (zhitnik)? Gainey's a big boy.
I am not saying DW should have caved in or anything. I am just saying that the deadline and stuff by Gainsey may stem from the Hossa deal. He did not want to be strung along for a while. I don't know. Just a theory.

Old
02-17-2009, 12:13 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Judging by the other defensemen available right now, and how horrible Schneider has been this season, getting a 2nd rounder, much less a 2nd rounder plus, is quite a feat. You won't find me complaining about this one.

Old
02-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Bird in the hand and all that. Once more teams drop out of the race there will be more defensemen on the market and his value will plummet. He's had an awful year and DW has absolutely nothing concrete with which to sell Schneider as a valuable addition. The guy's 39 and his skills are failing rapidly as we all saw this season.

Gainey isn't stupid, either. Not only does he not want to get screwed, he wants to get Schneider on his roster so they can assess his ability and get him playing regular minutes asap. The sooner he gets fulluy integrated intot he system the better they can take advantage of what's left. Plus, they can move him for picks themselves if he turns out to be a turd.

And don't think DW doesn't have standing orders to drop payroll as much as possible without getting in hot water from the league. The owners are in court today and anything to make the team less valuable now will help.

Old
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
fatschoonerrat

I'll be rooting for the Habs in the playoffs this year.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
That's like saying "joey won the lottery, I'm going to invest all my money in lottery tickets now"

Even most draft picks in the top 90 fail. Once you get out of the first three rounds the success rate gets even smaller.

Old
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
If you want, i can start listening 1st rounders, that have been drafted and done nothing as well?
There might be a drop off, but its not impossible for them to make it. We surpsingly do pretty decent late round, its our early rounds that, not so much
Patrik Stefan anyone???

Old
02-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
I'll be rooting for the Habs in the playoffs this year.
You know what's really fun? Rooting against Anaheim. I'm sad I won't be able to take quite as much pleasure in their losses anymore. Enjoy that high 2nd rounder!

Old
02-21-2009, 11:00 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

PP since Schneider joined the Habs:

Vs Washington 3/4

Vs Pittsburgh 1/4

Vs Ottawa 3/7

46,6 % in 3 games

Thank you.

Old
02-21-2009, 11:52 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post

Vs Washington 3/4

Vs Pittsburgh 1/4

Vs Ottawa 3/7

46,6 % in 3 games

Thank you.
you're welcome glad to see montreal's PP playing better. i kinda like that team and i have a friend in canada who is a huge canadiens fan.

Old
02-22-2009, 02:12 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:

Vs Washington 3/4

Vs Pittsburgh 1/4

Vs Ottawa 3/7

46,6 % in 3 games

Thank you.
Yeah, Schneider was a really nice guy, awesome to see him doing well. I don't think I've seen a trade make fanbases actually like eachother before like this, it's nice.

Old
02-22-2009, 02:54 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

I think JA has got the power play all wrong this season for the point players.

I don't know why Hainsey deserves to be on the first unit given Schneider and Enstrom are both better power play quarterbacks.

Old
02-22-2009, 03:07 AM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
I think JA has got the power play all wrong this season for the point players.

I don't know why Hainsey deserves to be on the first unit given Schneider and Enstrom are both better power play quarterbacks.
Did you really see "better" out of Schneider while he was on the PP? I saw a lot of wide shots that practically cleared the zone on their own.

I'm not particularly a Hainsey supporter but Schneider filled a very obvious gap in the Habs PP once Souray and Streit left, hence the instant success. Personally I think Bogosian should have been getting some PP time instead of the old man, and I think he should be given the opportunity to work on the 2nd unit with Toby for the rest of the way this season.

Old
02-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
Personally I think Bogosian should have been getting some PP time instead of the old man, and I think he should be given the opportunity to work on the 2nd unit with Toby for the rest of the way this season.
He should once Havelid gets traded in a week and a half. Unless JA loses his mind and tries to put Oystrick in there above him.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Shaiboo

Quote:

Vs Washington 3/4

Vs Pittsburgh 1/4

Vs Ottawa 3/7

46,6 % in 3 games

Thank you.
He is - 4 in those three games. Thank you!

Old
02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaiboo View Post
He is - 4 in those three games. Thank you!
He has two pp goals in three games, we have two wins out of 3..

I wonder why he woudn't fit on your team, we like him alot..

Our PP is 7 for 12.. And we sucked at that this season..

He seems happy here too.. Cool..

Closed Thread