HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

a waiver pick up, retired player and old man...

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2004, 05:05 PM
shayne

vCash: 500
a waiver pick up, retired player and old man...

make the Leafs one of the big winner on trade deadline day.
Talk about rose colored glasses, all day long pierre maguire or gord stellick or jim rutherford or darren dutishin(?) or whoever claim the leafs improved themselves the most.

Kilger won't play in their top 12 forwards, johansson has not played in a year and francis can't skate anymore.
If the Habs or Sens or Bruins picked up those players the Leaf nation would have laughes their ***** of.
Brutal to be a Hab fan in a town full of delusinal leaf fans.
I hope the leafs get beat in the first rd of this years playoffs.

Old
03-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne
Talk about rose colored glasses, all day long pierre maguire or gord stellick or jim rutherford or darren dutishin(?) or whoever claim the leafs improved themselves the most.

Kilger won't play in their top 12 forwards, johansson has not played in a year and francis can't skate anymore.
If the Habs or Sens or Bruins picked up those players the Leaf nation would have laughes their ***** of.
identical post:
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=60692

Old
03-10-2004, 05:07 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Francis has never been able to skate well, and did look bad earlier this season. With that said: whomever think Francis won't help the Leafs then just watch what happens the next few games. The guy is just a special player, and special players always show you why. The guy just gets it done.

Old
03-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Courage*

Quote:

Well, Ron Francis has hobbled his way to 30pts on the worst offensive team in the NHL, a very respectable faceoff percentage, and has a habit of getting just a little bit better in the spring. He wasn't brought into to light the world on fire but I'll make this prediction: Francis will 1) further improve the Leafs faceoff percentage, already strong with Sundin and Nieuwendyk (not to mention Reichel) helping the Leafs maintain puck control in key situations which is very important in the playoffs. I'll take my chances with Ron Francis and Joe N. out against ANYONE in a pressure face-off situation. 2) He will provide an added boost to the Leafs #2 PP unit. The team is already top-5 in the league and just added Leetch to QB the #1 unit, with tangible results if you saw the Isle's game last week. Francis can QB the PP from the half-boards (like he has done his whole career) and give the Leafs another 'look' with the second unit to compliment the first. Park Joe. N. in front of the net, and you now have two VERY dangerous shooters from down low to bury rebounds and create chances from the dots in. Francis has a knack for making incredible creative offensive passes that don't rely on his skating speed and he'll make the other four guys on the PP look just a little better, and just a little faster by getting them the puck in good shooting areas. For physical teams like the Flyers, they will have to be very careful not to put themselves a man down against the Leafs. In the playoffs, special teams are huge; we all know that.

Admittedly, Johansson is a wild-card. He didn't quit because he was washed up, and put up respectable numbers on Washington's 2nd unit last year. IF he can get himself game-ready in a hurry, he will provide solid defensive play for the 3rd pairing, with the puck movement necessary for Quinn's system. Providing he can return to form, he could make an adequate replacement for the top-2 pairings in the event of an injury. He won't light it up, but his game has always been about no-nonsense, smart, economical play especially in his own zone. He is not 'rough' but he is physical enough to get the job done in the corners and along the boards and smart enough to get and maintain good positioning. Again, it's a chance, but considering the price paid for DeVries, for example, JFJ may have made the steal of the spring. Only time will tell. I imagine that JFJ did a little bit of homework on Johansson's conditioning before he decided to sign him. He's not stupid, is he? If you can think of it, I imagine JFJ can think of it. No offense. It's his job.

Last edited by Courage*: 03-10-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old
03-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Francis is old but he brings infinite leadership.

And considering his age, he still produces damn fine.

Old
03-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Karl Pilkington

I started a similar thread the other day and the point I made and based the thread on was the fact that the Leafs got a couple of old guys, but they didnt give anything away for them.. so if they got a couple of experienced players (even if they're old) for nothing, the leafs won the deal..

Old
03-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Talk about rose colored glasses, all day long pierre maguire or gord stellick or jim rutherford or darren dutishin(?) or whoever claim the leafs improved themselves the most....I hope the leafs get beat in the first rd of this years playoffs.
New to the sport, I take it?

If anyone is suggesting Chad Kilger will impact the Leaf's chances, they are, as you suggest, wrong.

The idea that Johansson does not upgrade the quality of their depth on D, or that Francis is simply "an old man" is equally silly and misinformed.

As a fan of a team that may very well face the Leafs in Round One, no fan of that team other. Some Leaf fans may have rose-colored glasses. Likewise, one could suggest that the analysis provided above is made from one with blinders on.

Old
03-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

If anyone is suggesting Chad Kilger will impact the Leaf's chances, they are, as you suggest, wrong.

The idea that Johansson does not upgrade the quality of their depth on D, or that Francis is simply "an old man" is equally silly and misinformed.
Kilger wasn't picked up to be anything more than a big body to play a role against certain teams if other guys get hurt. The Leafs like to forecheck, and in the playoffs, Quinn has a habit of sending his 3rd and 4th units out to do little more than get the puck in deep and cycle it ceaselessly to tire out defenders and keep the pressure moving. A big kid like Kilger relegated to a very simple role like that could be quite effective. Send him in to lean on d-men and little more. He was expected to come in and play 3rd line minutes and provide some size and secondary offense in Montreal. In Toronto, he'll be a spot fill-in with a very limited job to do against big teams like the Flyers or the Sens' defense. Come the 4th or 5th game of a physical, tiring series, you can never have enough big bodies who can skate to go out and simply help drain the other squad's energy. That's all Kilger is for.

Old
03-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
'Shayne' is just an angry Shab fan stuck in Ontario.

Old
03-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Habitant

A waiver pickup, a retired player, and an old man walk into a bar...

Old
03-10-2004, 09:31 PM
loveshack2

I'm pretty sure that if your respective team picked up Ron Francis, Calle Johansson, and Chad Kilger at the combined cost of a single 4th round pick, you'd call them winners too.

Old
03-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Fan-of-#9

If you can get a Top 5 point producer of ALL-TIME for a 4th round pick to add experience and depth to your roster that's a good move. Are they the biggest winners? Based only on the addition of Francis, Kilger and Johansson...no.

Add in Brian Leetch and the Leafs are definetly up there will the biggest additions.

Although why they didn't get some insurance for Belfour's back is beyond me. I'd say it's a 50/50 chance that he can stay healthy for the entire playoffs.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
If you can get a Top 5 point producer of ALL-TIME for a 4th round pick to add experience and depth to your roster that's a good move. Are they the biggest winners? Based only on the addition of Francis, Kilger and Johansson...no.

Add in Brian Leetch and the Leafs are definetly up there will the biggest additions.

Although why they didn't get some insurance for Belfour's back is beyond me. I'd say it's a 50/50 chance that he can stay healthy for the entire playoffs.
I'd say the only guy available yesterday who could win us a round or 2 should belfour get hurt was Olaf Kolzig, and his contract is just too big for the Leafs to take on.

Gerber? Maybee he could have won a round for us, despite his price, but in the later rounds I don't know if he'd still win for us.

Even though Tellan/Kidd don't look to bright going into the Playoffs it was the smart move to make to keep them.

also Belfour said he'd play with the back problems he had they wernt that bad they just rested him to make sure he'd be 100% at the playoffs not 95%, his back wasn't broken it was like he woke up got out of Bed and had a sore back, all he probably needed was one of those massages where the girls walks on your back, that'd clear him right up!

I'd sugest a warm hot bath too(does wonder for me before a game) followed by a cool dip in a swimming pool after one.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:09 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:

Looks like Corson is still upset about last year

Closed Thread