HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers scouting Jonas Gustavsson?

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2009, 10:02 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

vCash: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
So because we have a goaltender we should stop scouting goaltenders? Thats logical. Because you know, it would be impossible for Henrik to ever miss an extended period of time due to injury right? But thats OK because we have Vally, Wiikman and Zaba ready to step in. Right, adding depth and potential to that list would be plain silly.

If your not interested then why bother posting?
Why bother posting? Because it's a message board. If you're going to call me out, then allow me to point out your need to discover the proper use of "your" and "you're".

Secondly, this thread is nothing more than a rumor of the Rangers scouting someone. Team scouts are responsible for scouting hundreds of players at any time, how come there aren't threads for each one?

Of course, there is a need to continue scouting players at all positions at all times, however this is someone who is approximately two years younger than our current goaltender. Not exactly grounds for "goaltender of the future" is it? Miika Wiikman is ten days older than Gustavsson and has been in North America for two years. I'm more excited about the prospects of someone who has been in the country and this system for two years and is closer to a backup role than someone who we're scouting. Oh, yeah... and Wiikman has an NHL contract with us.

Now, with this team currently struggling to win, it's difficult to get excited about players WHO AREN'T GOING TO HELP IN THE PRESENT TIME. Please don't get your panties in a bunch if I'm not excited for players who MIGHT HELP in the future who aren't even our property.

Old
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
When will you guys just learn to ignore Dagoon's posts on Lundqvist? Yeah, every man is entitled to his opinion, but for some reason Dagoon hates the man. Maybe he rejected him for an autographing session or something.

Yeah, blame Lundqvist when the team can't generate offensive to save their lives.

Old
OverTheCap

Henrik Lundqvist is the least of this team's very long laundry list of problems. Dolan - Sather - Renney - Pearn - Redden - Gomez - Drury - PP Fail - No Offense - No Cap Space - No Heart.... this team is in bad shape.

Old
02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The king lol 2 goals a game would be great
Devils 3-0
Caps 5-4
Panthers 2-1
Flyers 4-1 when he left

Come on man he isn't giving up 2. Also read what I said the team stinks in front of him.
Go back to December and look up the games we lost 6 goals
3,8,5,4, goals all given up after the team was wining and scoring. He was plain and simple not good. Every turnover went in and the team deflated
EN goal count against him now?

Old
02-16-2009, 10:15 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
Why bother posting? Because it's a message board. If you're going to call me out, then allow me to point out your need to discover the proper use of "your" and "you're".

Secondly, this thread is nothing more than a rumor of the Rangers scouting someone. Team scouts are responsible for scouting hundreds of players at any time, how come there aren't threads for each one?

Of course, there is a need to continue scouting players at all positions at all times, however this is someone who is approximately two years younger than our current goaltender. Not exactly grounds for "goaltender of the future" is it? Miika Wiikman is ten days older than Gustavsson and has been in North America for two years. I'm more excited about the prospects of someone who has been in the country and this system for two years and is closer to a backup role than someone who we're scouting. Oh, yeah... and Wiikman has an NHL contract with us.

Now, with this team currently struggling to win, it's difficult to get excited about players WHO AREN'T GOING TO HELP IN THE PRESENT TIME. Please don't get your panties in a bunch if I'm not excited for players who MIGHT HELP in the future who aren't even our property.
Wow, insulting my intelligence, especially concerning a grammatical error made on a hockey internet forum, doesn't say much for you. I do more writing than you could fathom in my career for things far more important than voicing my opinion on a hockey forum, so, I would advise you to steer clear of pointing out grammar issues as a tactic to remove the spotlight from the fact that you posted in a thread which you had no intention of contributing to in any fashion. Simply put, mind your pints and quarts if you're not going to contribute anything other than I'm not interested in this topic. Oh look, the proper usage of "your" and "you're".

EDIT: Btw stellar reasoning for posting something of no use to the topic. "Because it's a message board." I can't wait to post meaningless dribble in one of your threads, mainly because it's a message board and I can.

Last edited by D713B: 02-16-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old
02-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Hockey2000nyr

hey if we can sign the guy, id take a shot at him. if lundqvist goes down with an injury id rather have a more then capable backup. depth will never hurt

Old
02-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
LoL...***** is so bad right now that Ranger fans are fighting other Rangers fans.

As far as the topic, I know nothing about him but as of late I have been losing confidence in Vally as our back up. Obviously not his fault in general but he's been brutal on more than 1 occasion.

-Brian

Old
02-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Complaining about possibly adding a solid asset to the NYR organization? Who the **** cares how this affects Lundqvist.

Old
02-16-2009, 10:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
When will you guys just learn to ignore Dagoon's posts on Lundqvist? Yeah, every man is entitled to his opinion, but for some reason Dagoon hates the man. Maybe he rejected him for an autographing session or something.

Yeah, blame Lundqvist when the team can't generate offensive to save their lives.
Petr Prucha has played in the last 2 games.Has he done anything?

Old
02-16-2009, 10:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Can this guy put the pucks in the net rather than stop them?

Old
02-16-2009, 11:05 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Hey Orr won yet another fight while Lundqvist looked great on that 50 footer glove side
you can't be serious.

Old
02-16-2009, 11:18 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Can this guy put the pucks in the net rather than stop them?
The Rangers Organization as a whole is vehemently against acquiring anyone with the ability to do that.

It's what I've started telling myself to justify our lack of offense.

Old
02-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Plato

vCash: 100000
Wow we are a hostile group. haha

Old
02-16-2009, 11:26 PM
mti79

If the Rangers scouts aren't looking into the future and for depth, they're not doing their jobs. I'm not advocating signing this kid as an immediate replacement for Hank, but if he's cheap enough and can serve as a backup or a starter in Hartford, then no harm, no foul. Although unless we start scoring any goals, then it won't matter if we have Lundqvist, Wiikman, Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Plante, or all of them at the same time, we will not win. This team needs offense, but there's no harm in scouting young goaltenders in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Petr Prucha has played in the last 2 games.Has he done anything?
Really? You felt the need to go there? What does that have to do with anything in this thread? But, he did register an assist against the Flyers and Renney barely played him tonight. He has more points in the last 2 games than most of the Rangers.

Old
02-17-2009, 12:59 AM
agentzzz

Quote:
Hey Orr won yet another fight while Lundqvist looked great on that 50 footer glove side
Lundqvist owes Orr an apology , and the rest of the team too.

any ranger fans complaining about Lundy is like a homeless person complaining about a free steak dinner.

as far as this kid, one would think he would go to hartford first and not be brought in to replace Lundy anytime soon, so I don't see a problem with acquiring a asset.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:18 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen View Post
Gustavsson is a big Lundy-type of goalie, earlier years he has struggled somewhat and been great in periods and not so great in between but this year he has really pulled it together finally. He's been considered to be talented and a future swedish top goalie for a while but became a late bloomer instead.
No. No. No. Gustavsson is not a "Lundy-type" goalie. He is a duplicate of Valiquette, you could mistake them for twins when you see them in net. And I rather have Vally here who knows his job instead of Gustavsson who wouldn't like playing second string.

Old
02-17-2009, 05:26 AM
trademasterb*

Quote:
Why are you even a fan of this team..... How quickly you forgot the days of a broken down Richter and the garbage in net after he was gone. Only team this crappy teams wins any games is because of our goalie.

Old
02-17-2009, 06:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post

Really? You felt the need to go there? What does that have to do with anything in this thread? But, he did register an assist against the Flyers and Renney barely played him tonight. He has more points in the last 2 games than most of the Rangers.
Start paying more attention.You are clueless.Dagoon owns a restaurant and he had Prucha there to sign autographs last week.It's Prucha.Prucha.Prucha.Renney is clueless.Renney is this and that.Prucha suffers a paper cut and it's Renney's fault.Dagoon is always ragging on Henrik.

Go back and re-read Fire Sather's post.

Old
02-17-2009, 07:04 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
I do more writing than you could fathom in my career for things far more important than voicing my opinion on a hockey forum...
Obviously... and I hope that your writing on this message board is not indicative of your other works

Quote:
EDIT: Btw stellar reasoning for posting something of no use to the topic. "Because it's a message board." I can't wait to post meaningless dribble in one of your threads, mainly because it's a message board and I can.
And if you got past the correction of your grammar mistake, you would've seen my reasoning as to why I fail to care about scouting some Swedish goaltender. I was hoping that your reading comprehension was better than your writing (notice the proper use of the word 'your' in this sentence), but apparently it's right on par...

To the rest of the posters, I'm sorry to be the undercard on the "Forum vs. Dagoon" fight going on, but I needed to respond to this drivel.

It's drivel, by the way D713B... not dribble. Please go back to writing your other masterpieces now.

Last edited by MortUWary: 02-17-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old
02-17-2009, 08:22 AM
DontStepanMe

Outside the box thought here.

If this kid is supposed to be this good, than maybe just maybe it could be something else brewing. Please read the entire post and reasoning before bashing.

First, my thoughts on goaltenders in the cap world. I don't think that Goalies in the cap era should ever get over $5.5 mil per season, otherwise they are taking up too much valuable cap space. My reasoning is that you can always make a goalie look better, by having better players in front of them. Case in point. Osgood, Cam Ward won two of the last 3 cups. Also look at what Clemmer has done in NJ. It is not only possible but the way to go. It is better to spend your money up front on good forwards and defense than it is to spend wildly on a goalie. Also look at Ty Conklin last year and this year. Now look at Luongo who is arguably the best goalie in the league right now, he hasn't won a cup yet, and why is that? Its because its not always about the goalie but the players you surround him with.

Now, back to Gustavsson. If this kid is really that good, (I would like him to play one season in the AHL or serve as backup in the NHL to make sure), than you have a very very very valuable trading chip in Lundy. We could get alot of assets by trading him, lose his high salary for an ELC (gustavsson), and maybe even package Hank w/ say Redden, or Gomez and get ourselves out of another huge contract. Than build the team up properly because we have more assets and more importantly cap space. And guess who also becomes a free agent after next season? Kovy. Maybe we could even swing a trade involving Hank for Kovy.

I also think about this because I feel we reallly are just going to waste Hankes prime years anyway being saddled w/ Drury, Gomez, and Redden.

I know its far fetched, but sometimes you have to think outside the box. It honestly might be in the best interest of the franchise.

Old
02-17-2009, 08:43 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Rags, I hear what you're saying. The main point that needs to be made is that nobody is off-limits in a salary cap world. The best formula in this era is to have a few key players who are high priced, mid-priced role players and youngsters on ELCs contributing. This team's problem is that they have too many high-priced players (Drury, Gomez, Redden and Rozy) who aren't playing the roles at the level that they're being paid to play.

It would be a bitter pill to swallow (dealing Henke), but is not out of the realm of possibility if they were to acquire a youngster capable of taking the job. With that said, I don't see this scenario as being very likely.

Old
02-17-2009, 08:45 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
Rags, I hear what you're saying. The main point that needs to be made is that nobody is off-limits in a salary cap world. The best formula in this era is to have a few key players who are high priced, mid-priced role players and youngsters on ELCs contributing. This team's problem is that they have too many high-priced players (Drury, Gomez, Redden and Rozy) who aren't playing the roles at the level that they're being paid to play.

It would be a bitter pill to swallow (dealing Henke), but is not out of the realm of possibility if they were to acquire a youngster capable of taking the job. With that said, I don't see this scenario as being very likely.
I don't think it is very likely either, but I think it may be possiblity, and one that might actually be worth exploring.

By the way i agree with everything else that you said here.

Old
02-17-2009, 09:07 AM
schmieder44

Quote:
Guys I am sick of losing and trust me rather win a game then a fight. I didn't bring up Orr the other guys took shots at him. I just pointed out he did his job. Hank gave up a 55 foot floater that he just plan out missed. The second goal was 2 point shots with juicy big rebounds and him falling on his face. Yes he gave up only 2 goals but both were very weak. And yes we didn't score and the Defense stinks and hank did play very well but the goals were bad
This is correct

Old
02-17-2009, 09:10 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Outside the box thought here.

If this kid is supposed to be this good, than maybe just maybe it could be something else brewing. Please read the entire post and reasoning before bashing.

First, my thoughts on goaltenders in the cap world. I don't think that Goalies in the cap era should ever get over $5.5 mil per season, otherwise they are taking up too much valuable cap space. My reasoning is that you can always make a goalie look better, by having better players in front of them. Case in point. Osgood, Cam Ward won two of the last 3 cups. Also look at what Clemmer has done in NJ. It is not only possible but the way to go. It is better to spend your money up front on good forwards and defense than it is to spend wildly on a goalie. Also look at Ty Conklin last year and this year. Now look at Luongo who is arguably the best goalie in the league right now, he hasn't won a cup yet, and why is that? Its because its not always about the goalie but the players you surround him with.

Now, back to Gustavsson. If this kid is really that good, (I would like him to play one season in the AHL or serve as backup in the NHL to make sure), than you have a very very very valuable trading chip in Lundy. We could get alot of assets by trading him, lose his high salary for an ELC (gustavsson), and maybe even package Hank w/ say Redden, or Gomez and get ourselves out of another huge contract. Than build the team up properly because we have more assets and more importantly cap space. And guess who also becomes a free agent after next season? Kovy. Maybe we could even swing a trade involving Hank for Kovy.

I also think about this because I feel we reallly are just going to waste Hankes prime years anyway being saddled w/ Drury, Gomez, and Redden.

I know its far fetched, but sometimes you have to think outside the box. It honestly might be in the best interest of the franchise.
Point is though that Gustavsson isn't that good...

Old
02-17-2009, 09:12 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If this kid is that good. Well, it wouldn't hurt to sign him. If he challenges Lundqvist for a job and beats him, why would anyone complain? You could trade Lundqvist for a top player and we'll be in good shape.

I know people love Henrik, but if you can find someone who may be as good or better, then why not?

If he's just some overrated goalie, then this is all pointless.

Closed Thread