HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OILERS vs SJ SEABASS - "Ain't Nothing Gonna Break My Stride"

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
BlueBelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
Damn smarch.... Yeah I ahve been pretty swamped here at work so I didnt put full effort into it... Next week is looking better, though. (because todays my last day for a week)
No, you have to work on it during work time. We can't accept it if you put in all that effort on your own time!

So someone at the office today suggested that Garon should start tonight. I started crying, it wasn't pretty..

Old
02-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuft View Post
That's the kind of ammo the anti-MacT movement has.
Totally hilarious.
Potulny-Cogliano-Brule as a scoring line.
Wow.
The only way this team wins games, almost exclusively, is low scoring games where Roli is on his head. It has been that way for a couple years now. There is not enough horsepower up front, and it is not because MacT stifles all of this talent with his system.

Old
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Harley

Go Oilers.

Old
02-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Staypuft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
The only way this team wins games, almost exclusively, is low scoring games where Roli is on his head. It has been that way for a couple years now. There is not enough horsepower up front, and it is not because MacT stifles all of this talent with his system.
Totally agree.
This is the biggest reason I back Roloson through thick and thin, as the guy faces a ton of shots...and not just shots, but high quality chances.
That said, the high quality chances in the past few games have dropped quite a bit on average when compared to 2 months ago (or even 2 weeks ago for that matter). I seem to notice a lot fewer odd-man rushes as well, which seems to indicate that the players are buying in and executing the system a lot better than they were before.
Let's hope they keep it up, and the top line is able to keep up their 1-2 goal a game pace...with a little help from the others.

Old
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
No, you have to work on it during work time. We can't accept it if you put in all that effort on your own time!

So someone at the office today suggested that Garon should start tonight. I started crying, it wasn't pretty..
Garon over Salo!???!? Sheesh, what a weirdo...

Old
02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
McTedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
I am not sure there is that delusion though. I think a lot of people are starting to see this group for what they are. Mediocre. They are where they are in the standings because of the mediocre level of talent, grit, experience, etc. Even more damning evidence of this teams mediocrity is the fact that most people had the goaltending as the question mark to start the year yet Roloson has been as good as we have seen in years. The team is just not that good.
Talk about a buzz kill! This team really isn't as bad as you make them out to be either. The Oilers have holes, true but very fixable holes. Cheer up downer boy we are on a winning streak.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
OYLer

Quote:
You're right Walsher, our fine coaching conundrum, employs "up front" horse sense to direct their charges.

The long faces after losses, most often, occurs because the 1st line is held scoreless and the secondary scoring is truly lame. Especially, given the inordinate amount of ice time given them on EV & on the PP that our supposed young guns get. When our goaltending isn't terrific the horrific defensive play of the young pop-gunners results in a ton of dumb penalties against and our better two-way-players become exhausted because of MacTired's over use of their talents. Then they are rendered ineffective offensively because they have less offensive jump.

It is time for the coddled kids to shoulder more of the defensive load. They must get tougher physically. Last couple of games they have looked better but Nilsson still isn't driving to the tough crease areas. Too many lookout passes and not enough body contact. Gagner needs to up his intensity to match Cole.

Penner is still not getting enough forecheck hits and he needs to finish more of his checks with greater intensity. Dustin could drive harder to the middle with the puck after break passes to him down the left side. He must then follow hard low wristers in for rebounds to open up that dangerous slot area for garbage rebound goals. Hemsky or Horcs would benefit from rebounds to score or reset for more effective shots from the backend.

Both Moreau and Cogs have been guilty (of late) of too much selfish over-pursuit penalties in the offensive and neutral zone areas. NHL hockey isn't and ego contest of who tries harder but more of a mental contest of who tries smarter. Effort is great but only when expended effectively. Dumb neutral & offensive zone penalties and silly give-aways are what kill momentum and result in goals against.

These are, of course, obvious observations but they need immediate correction. Tom Gilbert's tendency to cut too fine a line towards trying the skilled higher percentage play over the grittier safer play is a concern. Tom could man-up physically more, as well.

Hopefully, MacIntyre draws in and causes havoc with some big hits. Good game to sit out Nilsson.

Last edited by OYLer: 02-17-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Talk about a buzz kill! This team really isn't as bad as you make them out to be either. The Oilers have holes, true but very fixable holes. Cheer up downer boy we are on a winning streak.
Not being a downer at all. Mediocrity, IMO, is a 5-10 seed in the conference. That is what this team is fighting for. Sure they are on a winning streak, I am excited about that. But there is no question why they are winning right now, and unless Roli stands on his head throughout the remainder of the season, the chances will be slim.

Many holes are fixable, most are not unless they are planning on mortgaging the future for short-term successes. Defensive centreman and shutdown d-men are somewhat fixable. High-end offensive talent is not. And that is the true short coming of this club.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
swany

Quote:
Not being a downer at all. Mediocrity, IMO, is a 5-10 seed in the conference. That is what this team is fighting for. Sure they are on a winning streak, I am excited about that. But there is no question why they are winning right now, and unless Roli stands on his head throughout the remainder of the season, the chances will be slim.

Many holes are fixable, most are not unless they are planning on mortgaging the future for short-term successes. Defensive centreman and shutdown d-men are somewhat fixable. High-end offensive talent is not. And that is the true short coming of this club.
How about Cole for Kovalev both UFA's at seasons end. Kovalev and Nilsson and Gagner that would be a great second line, could you get him for Cole alone. He was just left at home for the Canadeins road trip.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Late last year they were winning games when roli played like Crap couse they just scored lots of goals, AT the end of the year when the kid line was flying. I think every one expected that to happen again this year.... sadly it hasn't, but I cross my fingers. We need line 2 to start scoring, no reason they can't.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Thresher

Amusing title, since we call Sebastien Bisaillon 'Sea Bass'

Just a heads up regarding the Sharks - because of recent injuries to Plihal and Goc, WTC is reporting a shift in lines. Notable changes in caps.
KASPAR Thornton Setoguchi
Clowe Pavelski Michalek (unchanged)
Grier MARLEAU Cheechoo
McGinn LEMIEUX Staubitz
And although I think most SJ fans are hoping Boucher gets the start given Nabokov's poor play as of late, it will probably still be Nabby in net.

Cheers Oil nation

Old
02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
How about Cole for Kovalev both UFA's at seasons end. Kovalev and Nilsson and Gagner that would be a great second line, could you get him for Cole alone. He was just left at home for the Canadeins road trip.
Why would Montreal do that though? Kovalev has nearly double the points of Cole and Montreal media thinks HE is playing like crap? What would they think of Cole's 30 point pace?

Old
02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Late last year they were winning games when roli played like Crap couse they just scored lots of goals, AT the end of the year when the kid line was flying. I think every one expected that to happen again this year.... sadly it hasn't, but I cross my fingers. We need line 2 to start scoring, no reason they can't.
They do need to get going. I just don't see it though. My fear to start this year was that stretch last year was lightning in a bottle. Unfortunately, at least this year, that fear has come true.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:42 PM
GSC

Thanks to this GDT, I've had this song in my head all day. With it, I also started thinking of the scene in Not Another Teen Movie where Jake Wyler hilariously uses the song in the context of a sentence.

"I don't want to make a big deal of it, so I'm just gonna lay it out there, okay? Here it is...See, I don't like making big speeches. I'm a straight shooter. I call them like I see them. What you see is what you get. Ain't nobody gonna breaka my stride, ain't nobody gonna slow me down..."

Old
02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
swany

Quote:
Why would Montreal do that though? Kovalev has nearly double the points of Cole and Montreal media thinks HE is playing like crap? What would they think of Cole's 30 point pace?
We would have to add, but he is in the doghouse over there and they could use a guy that can drive the net, maybe he needs a change because in the last 5-7 games he has been invisable, but his high end game only Hemmer can play at his level when he is on. He is hard to knock off the puck can make great passes and can finish, on Gags line that would be a godsend, secondary scoring and taking some heat off Hemmer. Montral is on a free fall that's why they do it.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
playing with house money tonight...a point would be a massive positive
4-1 Sharks

Old
02-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Staypuft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC View Post
Thanks to this GDT, I've had this song in my head all day. With it, I also started thinking of the scene in Not Another Teen Movie where Jake Wyler hilariously uses the song in the context of a sentence.
Though it contains a couple over-the-top gross out scenes, that movie remains one of my favourites ever. I take flack for liking a spoof movie, but from beginning to end the characters and the dialogue are top notch hilarious.

Old
02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirhead View Post
ROFL Greatest movie ever. I've seen it dozens of times and it never gets old!

Old
02-17-2009, 06:16 PM
lakai17

3-2 OIL, I got the last two right so yee yee pete ta gee

Old
02-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
ROFL Greatest movie ever. I've seen it dozens of times and it never gets old!
I've taught my 3 yr old daughter the most annoying sound in the world. It drives my wife nuts in the car

Old
02-17-2009, 06:24 PM
lakai17

hitch hikers!? PICK EM UP!

Old
02-17-2009, 06:30 PM
alphahelix

i want this game to start now. im bored.

Old
02-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

3 hours is like an eternity. I'm reduced to watching darts over the Leafs/Sabres game

Old
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Destroyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
3 hours is like an eternity. I'm reduced to watching darts over the Leafs/Sabres game
Surprisingly good game so far, actually. Watching in class.

Old
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
OILFAN #81

Got to stay out of the box tonight. We have enough trouble as is vs the Sharks. Penalty trouble tonight will = game over. The Sharks always kill us like 55-17 or something every game in SOG but Roli always steals it. Hopefully Roli is on top of his game again tonight but hopefully we make it easier on him by clearing the front of the net and playing solid defense.

LETS GO OILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread