HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Juri Hudler

Old
02-17-2009, 07:58 PM
PenguinGuru*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Hudler's not a center. He hasn't played center since entering the NHL.

Here to help.
Oh THAT Jiri Hudler!!

Sure sign him.

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_pens View Post
The Wings aren't going to have the cap room to sign Hossa and Franzen, along with getting Whitney in a deal.
This part is true... hadn't thought of that angle.

Quote:
They aren't going to be able to sign Hossa and Franzen (and fill out the rest of the roster) without dumping another mid-range salary (Fippula or Stuart) as it is.
Which they undoubtedly will IMHO if they have a big playoff run. Filppula and Stuart are also expendable on that roster / easily replaced.

Quote:
Osgood still has 2 years left on his deal, so unless he retires, he'll be back next season. Chelios and Maltby don't make enough to make a dent in their cap issue.
I think he'll retire, or if he doesn't, they'll bench his ass most of the year and he'll retire for seeing the handwriting on the wall. Osgood has been pathetic this year. He's lost it IMO, though of course he could have a good streak of games at any time. He just has no consistency left.=

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinGuru View Post
Oh THAT Jiri Hudler!!

Sure sign him.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Couple points:
1. As mentioned, Hudler doesn't play center
2. He likely won't command much money unless he gets greedy. Watching him in interviews and past reports, he won't.
3. He's isn't exactly soft. If you think of soft as being a player that is small and doesn't hit, then yeah he's soft. He will go into the corners, he will take a hit to make a play, and he will go into traffic. Plus, he hasn't been injury prone in his time in Detroit.
4. His ice time could be a factor. He doesn't get a lot of minutes in Detroit, and, increased ice time may or may not increase his production.

In all honesty I don't see him fitting into Pittsburgh's system(read; The Therrien system...no time to gauge the new system, could change things.)

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:59 PM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
oh well,I have red everything you guys posted in here and I came to this conclusion:I ****ing hate the Wings!

cynic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:03 AM
nik jr

natural C, but plays W.

only plays 13 minutes/game. it seems that his scoring doesn't rise with more TOI, but he has never been given much TOI, b/c he doesn't fit in so well with babcock's system.

2nd best vision and playmaking on the team, after datsyuk. very good offensive awareness.

runs the 2nd PP, and very well. babcock used the word "magic" to describe hudler on PP. he's one of the best in the NHL in PPTOI/PP points.

very good at controlling the puck in a small space and creating room for himself.

not a soft player in the sense of unwilling to take hits or to go to the net, but is small and not effective on the boards.

average defensively.

slowish, but significantly faster than he was a few seasons ago.

production:
datsyuk: 15:24
parise: 15:52
malkin: 16:02
ryan: 16:03
hudler: 16:20
thornton: 16:27
krejci: 16:39
ovechkin: 16:58

minimum 40 games

i'm expecting hudler to be traded in the off season to make room for hossa.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Hudler's a winger with more talent than any forward on this team not named Crosby or Malkin. He'd be a beautiful fit here but Detroit's price would probably be prohibitively high.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

I stopped reading at the words "impending FA". No rentals, thanks.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I stopped reading at the words "impending FA". No rentals, thanks.
He's an RFA, not a UFA.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:33 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris the Blade View Post
Heh, yeah I remember. I entertained the idea of taking Hudler with our first pick. When he kept falling, I kept hoping he'd fall to the Penguins pick at 35. He did. The Penguins stepped up to the podium and said 'the Pittsburgh Penguins select, from Vsetin of the Czech Republic...' I literally jumped out of my chair, excited that the Penguins just got such a talent with their second rounder. Then he finished his sentence...****ing Nemec.
The Pens are still paying for some crappy drafting. Nemec only played a couple games in the AHL. I think Talbot was taken that year really late though.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Dupree13

After reading the first post of this thread, you have to be kidding me that the Wings are going to keep Hossa AND Franzen?!?!

They already have 48MM committed to next year, and that's with only 7 forwards and no back-up goalie. Even if they jettison a few <2MM veterans, it would still seem impossible. If they do manage to keep both of those guys under the cap, I freaking quit.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Til the End of Time

Whitney for Hudler?

Obviously it does nothing to address the Wings need to shed salary, so would no sense for Detroit, but I figured that doesn't matter for these sorts of proposals.

How much are we thinking Hulder will end up getting?

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Hudler looks a lot like Pesonen.

He's just...much, much, much better. Or at least his coach lets him play more minutes than a 4th line enforcer.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens15 View Post
After reading the first post of this thread, you have to be kidding me that the Wings are going to keep Hossa AND Franzen?!?!

They already have 48MM committed to next year, and that's with only 7 forwards and no back-up goalie. Even if they jettison a few <2MM veterans, it would still seem impossible. If they do manage to keep both of those guys under the cap, I freaking quit.
One of them will be gone. I don't see how they both can stay and stay under the cap unless they take some unreal pay cuts.

Old
02-19-2009, 09:59 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodILoveHockey View Post
Hudler looks a lot like Pesonen.

He's just...much, much, much better. Or at least his coach lets him play more minutes than a 4th line enforcer.
Pesonen got his time to show something and he didn't. He didn't even produce a scoring chance while on a line with Malkin.

Old
02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Pesonen got his time to show something and he didn't. He didn't even produce a scoring chance while on a line with Malkin.
He was given an average of 7 minutes of ice time through 7 games played.

Highest time on ice being 14 minutes and some change, lowest being 3 minutes.

For someone coming to an entirely new league, new team, new rink size, new system, and new linemates...that's not a whole lot of time to realistically allow something to happen.

Old
02-19-2009, 10:07 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodILoveHockey View Post
He was given an average of 7 minutes of ice time through 7 games played.

Highest time on ice being 14 minutes and some change, lowest being 3 minutes.

For someone coming to an entirely new league, new team, new rink size, new system, and new linemates...that's not a whole lot of time to realistically allow something to happen.
The way he played he didn't deserve anymore minutes. The guy was a good AHL signing but he just doesn't have what it takes to be a NHL player. The guy was a low risk high reward signing that hasn't worked out. Not a big deal.

Old
02-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
The way he played he didn't deserve anymore minutes. The guy was a good AHL signing but he just doesn't have what it takes to be a NHL player. The guy was a low risk high reward signing that hasn't worked out. Not a big deal.
Eh, with the way this season is turning out, I don't think it would hurt to take a much better look at him. He's also going to be playing in the same system he's produced well in while playing for Bylsma in the AHL, and he'll be able to play on lines with much better players.

Like you said, low risk, high reward. Who knows, maybe he'll build chemistry and earn a spot on the roster next year.

Old
02-19-2009, 11:08 AM
john g

hudler's definitely the odd man out it seems in DET. the commentary made by Holland recently sounds like he is committed to Franzenstein, Filp and Hossa line, while probably hoping someone throws an offer sheet to Hudler or worst case makes a draft day trade. obviously both guys need to take a discount and they will need to move stuart and cleary, but Hudler definitely I'd say is gone unless Franzen and Hossa walk.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009021...902170384/1048

john g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Penguin View Post
I hate Jason Blake's looks. He is just simply ugly guy. Looks like Powder from the movie Powder.

fixed

iamjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
The Pens are still paying for some crappy drafting. Nemec only played a couple games in the AHL. I think Talbot was taken that year really late though.
Nemec looked fine in the AHL, he just wasn't going to develop as anything more than a bottom pairing defenseman, and management felt we had enough of those in the system. It was a fine selection at the time, and he could have been developed into an NHL player.

I'm beginning to wonder if most here even understand just how much of a crapshoot the NHL draft really is.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Gooch

Quote:
what was that for? 1 shift? Thats what chances consist of lol?

Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by john g View Post
hudler's definitely the odd man out it seems in DET. the commentary made by Holland recently sounds like he is committed to Franzenstein, Filp and Hossa line, while probably hoping someone throws an offer sheet to Hudler or worst case makes a draft day trade. obviously both guys need to take a discount and they will need to move stuart and cleary, but Hudler definitely I'd say is gone unless Franzen and Hossa walk.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009021...902170384/1048
If a GM is stupid enough to make an offer sheet to Hudler, he would be feeding the lion even more.

God help us all if they land a goaltender..

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
john g

DET is in a great spot

Hudler, Cleary, Samuelsson and maybe one of Maltby/Draper goes, in comes Abdelkader, Helm, Leino or Ritola

Stuart and Chelios go, in comes Ericsson and eventually Kindl.

Granted they won't sell themselves short but in reality they can because they are stacked everywhere. As for their goalie, don't look now but look up Daniel Larsson. They are really really awesome at what they do from top to bottom.

john g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Too bad Ken Holland doesn't run GM or Chrysler. Then maybe they wouldn't continually mismanage things and produce substandard products and require mega-bailouts just to keep their doors open.

The Red Wings do make me ill with their ability to find talent, even with lesser picks. They're gonna "pwnn, PWWWWN" for a long time to come it seems.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote