HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Bryce Williamson

Old
02-17-2009, 12:23 PM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Bryce Williamson

I think this kid is the best-kept secret in the Draft.

12/23/1989 (19, first eligible last year)
Right Wing/6'0, 172 (according to AJHL.com)

2008-09 Team: St. Albert Steel (AJHL)
2008-09 Stats: 57 GP, 32-36-68, 110 PIM

2007-08 Stats: 61 GP, 29-32-61, 81 PIM
2006-07 Stats: 42 GP, 7-5-12, 42 PIM

The 6'0 listed on the AJHL's site is pretty generous, I'd think, but I've seen Williamson a number of times this season and he's never done less than impress. As St. Albert's only offensive weapon, he's keyed on by opposition defenses, and always has an answer.

First and foremost, he's one of the best skaters I've ever seen. The first game I saw him, he was coming off the bench during a change. I looked down to write a word about a player that had just been on, and when I looked up again, Williamson was all the way around the back of his net. I got another letter down before he was in the neutral zone.

While he doesn't have a true specialty- his biggest drawback- Williamson is a pro-caliber offensive zone player. He makes the right read, whether it be a pass or shot, every time. His short passes on the cycle are a thing of absolute beauty.

Smaller guys need to be able to survive in traffic, and Williamson has great puck protection ability when driving into the zone. He doesn't use a lot of moves- he just gets his body in the way and barrels the net. This draws a ton of penalties, and I've seen him take a shift, draw a call, then QB the ensuing full two minutes.

He's this draft's Mason Raymond. While Raymond potted 82 points in his draft year, he was also on one of the best teams in the league. As it is, with a handful of games left, Williamson could tie Raymond's assist output and maybe even get within five or six goals... all on the third-last team in the North Division.

He's an Alberta boy and plays in our Tier II league. I hope he's "Lowe's pick".

Last edited by hfboardsuser: 02-17-2009 at 12:47 PM.
hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
You mean the Steel Bugg? The Spruce Grove Saints don't have a Williams on their team.

Thanks for the info none the less.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:35 PM
hfboardsuser

Yeah, Steel. Remember, they were the Saints- it still trips me up.

Old
02-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Yeah, Steel. Remember, they were the Saints- it still trips me up.
It's all good yo's my dad is the PA guy for the SG Saints, so I thought it was odd I didn't know about a guy this good, lol.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
hfboardsuser

It's funny; any time he's in your barn, he seems to do poorly. Something like two points four or five games against Spruce this year.

Anyways, I'd be tempted to convert Williamson to D at the next level. He's undersized, but his skating is truly something else. I've only seen him back-skate in game situations a couple times, and he's looked better than the other D.

He's already a commanding PP guy due to his quick hands, play recognition and passing ability. I don't know what he's got for a slapper, but he loves to kick-start the play by curling behind his net and going end-to-end.

Old
02-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Well Mr. Bugg, as an avid watcher of the AJHL and big fan of the Grande Prairie Storm, I have to say you might be onto something with Williamson.

He is playing on an average team in a tough division and is producing steadily. In a couple games here in G.P. this year Williamson looked unreal. His skating and ability to read the play were fantastic.

One thing I'm not sure you mentioned was his shot. He is what I would call a 'one shot' scorer. Has the smarts to wait until the goalie commits, then makes his decision. Great at getting the puck up when he is in tight and has a high quality snap shot that is rarely seen in the AJHL.

All in all, nice pick up Bugg.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
NCAA commitment? I haven't been able to find anything on where he's going. That's going to be a draw back too if he hasn't figured that out. A NHL team is going to want to know where he's going to be playing for the next 4 years or they'll stay away.

02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
NCAA commitment? I haven't been able to find anything on where he's going. That's going to be a draw back too if he hasn't figured that out. A NHL team is going to want to know where he's going to be playing for the next 4 years or they'll stay away.
Nothing on the AJHL website regarding a commitment so I assume there isn't one yet. Also, at 19 maybe a bit old to be on an NHL radar?

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:24 PM
hfboardsuser

Bit too old? Raymond was drafted at the same age.

No, nothing about a commitment from what I've seen, either. None of the St. Albert game notes has ever had anything.

Old
02-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Bit too old? Raymond was drafted at the same age.

No, nothing about a commitment from what I've seen, either. None of the St. Albert game notes has ever had anything.
Raymond also had 82 points in less games played - he also was committed to playing for Duluth. I am suprised Williamson doesn't have a commitment - he had a point per game last season. I would assume he has something in the works right now.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Andrew B

I agree, Williamson could be a great bargain nab in the middle rounds.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Traktor*

Any reports on Paul Crowder?

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:11 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Any reports on Paul Crowder?
-Centers UAA's top line

-Outstanding playmaker. Doesn't wait for the puck to settle on his stick before making a quick, accurate pass. His size and puck protection skills make him a force down low, particularly behind the net.

-Isn't a consistent physical force, but identifies opportunities to lay absolutely bone-crushing hits. He hurts guys.

-Surprisingly good skater for his size. Really quick acceleration. Nice and agile and light on his feet.

-Quick release and can just scorch goalies. He's at his best when loose pucks get out to him, versus skating into the zone and shooting in flight.

For some reason, Crowder doesn't control the puck a whole lot during a game. He'll get it here and there, but he's not a guy who will take it at center ice and own it for a shift. I find he gets rid of the puck too quickly and skates around looking for a free puck. His battle level away from the puck in the offensive zone is rather poor.

I'd probably sign him and see where he goes. He doesn't get a lot of help on the Seawolves.

Old
02-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Heavy Fuel

Maybe he has eligibility issues (marks?) for NCAA consideration.

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fuel View Post
Maybe he has eligibility issues (marks?) for NCAA consideration.
That's what I'm hearing to be the case for Dylan Olsen too who was supposed to have been committed to UND by now... but may not have the marks to get in.

Guy Flaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
It's funny; any time he's in your barn, he seems to do poorly. Something like two points four or five games against Spruce this year.

Anyways, I'd be tempted to convert Williamson to D at the next level. He's undersized, but his skating is truly something else. I've only seen him back-skate in game situations a couple times, and he's looked better than the other D.

He's already a commanding PP guy due to his quick hands, play recognition and passing ability. I don't know what he's got for a slapper, but he loves to kick-start the play by curling behind his net and going end-to-end.
That's probably because the Saints are one of the best Tier II Junior teams in the country, they are really good this season.

Old
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Traktor*

Thanks for the reply.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:12 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Haha, holy ****. I'm almost positive I play inline against this kid.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:32 AM
KingLarry

He has no eligibility issues, he just has not committed anywhere

KingLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:10 AM
hfboardsuser

Williamson wasn't in the lineup today against Bonnyville in the last game of the season, so he'll finish with 32-38-70 in 58 GP.

Barring a six or seven point night from someone Tuesday, he'll finish 10th in the AJHL in points. Williamson factored in on 30% of St. Albert's goals this year, leading them in every major offensive category.

I was there for the last home game of the season against GP. It looked like he- and the team- were in for a big night after two beautiful assists in the first period to make it 2-0. The Steel would stretch that to a 3-1 lead before totally falling apart and losing 4-3.

Old
11-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Shirtless Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLarry View Post
He has no eligibility issues, he just has not committed anywhere
I'm surprised to hear that since he isn't even listed on Heisenberg's site...normally if someone as good statistically as Williamson gets let off its because of eligibility issues...Michigan Tech just signed Dennis Rix from Grande Prairie Storm...and I stumbled on Bryce and his great numbers...would love to see them get a commitment from him too!

Shirtless Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

If you want another kid to keep an eye on, watch out for Craig Simpson's son Dillon, he plays for the Spruce Grove Saints, he's a bit undersized, but putting up points and playing very effective minutes as a 16 yrd old, he's also very smart, he finish two highschool years in just one (Craig told me this personally, I interviewed him for a Saints Broadcast).

The kid is going to be a player.

Old
11-05-2009, 02:40 PM
KingLarry

Check the numbers Williamson is putting up this year: 1.9 ppg

http://www.ajhl.ab.ca/leagues/roster...layerID=203814

KingLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

If Williamson hasnt made it by now as a 20 year old in the AJHL his chances are probably pretty slim. But on the same team, Daniel Carr is putting up 2.0 ppg, and is 2 years younger!!

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
If you want another kid to keep an eye on, watch out for Craig Simpson's son Dillon, he plays for the Spruce Grove Saints, he's a bit undersized, but putting up points and playing very effective minutes as a 16 yrd old, he's also very smart, he finish two highschool years in just one (Craig told me this personally, I interviewed him for a Saints Broadcast).

The kid is going to be a player.
Completely agree here Jimmi. When the Saints were in GP earlier this year Simpson showed very well. Steve Hamilton obviously has a lot of confidence in Dillon as he was on the ice seemingly all night.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote