HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Unconventional Trade Idea: DET/MIN

Old
02-17-2009, 07:58 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Unconventional Trade Idea: DET/MIN

To Det: Niklas Backstrom, Conditional 4th round pick
To MIN: Valtteri Filppula, Conditional Rights to Niklas Backstrom

OR

To DET: Niklas Backstrom, Conditional 3rd round pick
To MIN: Valtteri Filppula, Ty Conklin, Conditional Rights to Niklas Backstrom

Two things made me think of this: Doug Weight and the Canes ca. 2006 (although his rights weren't traded), and Ken Holland's penchant for creativity and conditional clauses in contracts and trades.

I include Conklin in a separate deal because I’m not sure if he needs to be there. If Minny would definitely need a veteran backup coming the other way, then Conklin obviously would be involved, and would raise the conditional pick from a 4th to a 3rd.

I read an article from the Star-Tribune that talked about the Wild’s “need” to get something in return for their UFAs. Of note, they lost Demitra for nothing and only got a 4th rounder for Rolston’s rights (which is what I based the value of Backstrom’s rights off of, but I’m not sure if that’s the right value), and they might lose Gabby for nothing as well. So in this trade, Risebrough essentially “covers his assets” by trading Backstrom, getting something for him, AND getting the chance to retain him. The only reservation I think he would have is whether or not he thinks Harding can pick up where Backstrom left off, but my question would then be this. Wouldn’t a healthy Gaborik and the addition of Filppula up front be enough to make up for the replacement of Backstrom with Harding? This I don’t know.

Also, there would be the assumption then that the Wild could actually “get more” for Backstrom at the deadline if he decided to trade for him, but this is where the Wings perspective comes in. The Wings will NOT be able to retain Backstrom, nor would they put as much money into their goaltending as Backstrom would demand. He’s going to be a rental for the Wings regardless of which forwards they decide to keep next year. They’re likely the only team that can offer to return Backstrom to the Wild after the playoffs are over. Which brings me to my next point – the Wings will lose AT LEAST one of Hossa, Franzen, Hudler, or Filppula next year. And if they re-sign Hossa, then they will have to let go of 2. Finally, why do the Wings make this move if they’re trading a signed young forward for a rental? Well, I would suggest that if the Wings goaltending doesn’t improve and the Wings get booted in the 1st or 2nd round because our goaltending is terrible, then it will reflect incredibly poorly on Holland, since it was beyond apparent that we have goaltending issues going into March. Not only that, but how does that look to Hossa, and or ability to retain him if he doesn’t re-sign in the coming weeks? Is he going to want to stick around with a team that got booted because of their goaltending, and isn’t going to have the money to improve it next season? Backstrom is realistically the only guy available on the market this season that is an obvious upgrade in net.

Bare Bones of the deal:
To DET: A better chance at the Stanley Cup, Much needed cap space for next season, a pick, for Filppula. BEST CASE SCENARIO: A Stanley cup with Backstrom in net, much needed cap space for next season, and a 3rd round pick, for Filppula.

To MIN: A young non-FA forward that fits the prototypical Wild mold and a few weeks in June for the chance to re-sign Backstrom, for a pick. BEST CASE SCENARIO(S): A young non-FA forward that fits the prototypical Wild mold and a re-signed Niklas Backstrom at the cost of a 3rd/4th round pick OR A young non-FA forward that fits the prototypical Wild mold, the discovery that Josh Harding can take over as starter and can be re-signed to a cheaper contract than Backstrom (which means more cap space to spend on free agency), and a great re-signed veteran back-up for Harding in Ty Conklin (depending on whether or not hes included in the deal), at the cost of a 3rd/4th round pick.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:08 PM
wej20

How do they trade the rights back?you can't do that till the season's over

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:13 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Good idea, but I don't know if it would work. I would love to get Backstrom on the Wings somehow.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:16 PM
mnwildfan79

Interesting concept to say the least.

The main problem is the only way Minnesota resigns Backstrom long term is if he offers them a "hometown" discount because they gave him his shot in the NHL. The probability of that happening right after trading him is low. If they aren't going to resign him they might as well trade him for more elsewhere.

mnwildfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote