HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Anyone else interested in Johnny Odoya?

Old
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
lebear
I have no idea

vCash: 500
Anyone else interested in Johnny Odoya?

Great D-man currently in his third NHL season and seems to be maturing rapidly. Salary in NJD this year is $600K, and UFA after this season.

Physical player, something our team lacks. I've been keeping my eyes on him lately, and I'd love it if the Rangers managed to get him.

Of course he'd need a salary raise, but if we managed to get Redden out of town the free cap space would make it a huge win situation (since he'd contribute way more than Redden)

However, I don't know if the Dev's desires to keep him, or if he'd be interested. What do you think?

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:22 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I can't see the Rangers and Devils as trading partners.

Ever.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Go away

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
segmentation fault

Oh hell no.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Nick00

No.
I hate his last name.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Njdevilsfireonice30

At least spell the guy's name right.

Not sure how much he'll garner in free-agency... he's good, that's for sure.

Njdevilsfireonice30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Harrison Ford

the apocalypse is coming!

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

NO

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
OverTheCap

OMG please no more ex-Devils. Gomez, Holik, McLean, Driver... I'm going to go throw up now.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
lebear
I have no idea

Sorry about the spelling, Oduya

What's with the hate? Gomez got here (um, yea...). Regardless what team he's on, why wouldn't he be perfect for the Rangers - there's both skill and strenght, of which the latter this team lacks, and it would be something to build on given the low salary, assuming a couple of the huge contracts are moved.

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Jyrgen

He will not go anywhere.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle4427754.ab

Seems to be more than fine in Jersey.

Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 04:50 PM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen View Post
He will not go anywhere.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle4427754.ab

Seems to be more than fine in Jersey.
Would you mind posting a translation or basic synopsis here or on the Devils board?

Thank you.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
trademasterb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerskij View Post
Great D-man currently in his third NHL season and seems to be maturing rapidly. Salary in NJD this year is $600K, and UFA after this season.

Physical player, something our team lacks. I've been keeping my eyes on him lately, and I'd love it if the Rangers managed to get him.

Of course he'd need a salary raise, but if we managed to get Redden out of town the free cap space would make it a huge win situation (since he'd contribute way more than Redden)

However, I don't know if the Dev's desires to keep him, or if he'd be interested. What do you think?
Oduya is average at best. Take him away from Sutter, put him here and he would stink.

trademasterb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:38 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Most people seem to think he can command $3M from someone in the market, whereas I think he's only worth $1.8M to $2M, soooooooooo if he wants $3M, you can have him.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Most people seem to think he can command $3M from someone in the market, whereas I think he's only worth $1.8M to $2M, soooooooooo if he wants $3M, you can have him.
If that.

I personally value him right around 1.5M or so. I think if he leaves New Jersey, he'll be a huge UFA flop.

Just don't see much in him at all as a player outside of Jersey.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's rename this thread Johnny O-Don't-ya

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyelias View Post
Would you mind posting a translation or basic synopsis here or on the Devils board?

Thank you.
NEWARK. The existence of Swedish hockey stars to sparkle in Manhattan is known. But if, as proposed in the song, crosses "the river to the Jersey side", you can find at least as good a player not get the same attention.

Johnny Oduya.

And he also plays in a team that can win this year ...

- I would give anything for it. Stanley Cup has been my dream ever since I started playing hockey, "said New Jersey Devils-hill when Sportbladet will visit. With någotsånär gentle traffic, it takes not more than five-ten minutes to move from Manhattan to southern New Jersey.

Yet it to travel between two different planets.

On one side the Hudson River is the world's glamorous center, Hausa of self-glorification local media - and on the other a gray hybrid of suburban and industrial area that may be the home of Bruce Springsteen, Frank Sinatra and " Soprano "but still ignored by the media.

The conditions for the hockeyspelare operating in the area then.

They occur at Madison Square Garden will be written about, praised the smallest success, and the status of stars.

At the same time, rivals in the Jersey live radio shade, although they rarely achieve better results.

Frustrating?

- "No, I do not think so. It is not for us to play to get attention. We do not have the kind of personalities. "

- "If you want the thing must be sought elsewhere", says Swedish Devils-hill Johnny Oduya.

We meet 28-year-old stockholm is outside the newly built Devils-Prudential Center arena in Newark notorious center.

It is be rehabilitated, but still has a striking DILAPIDATING character.

- "Me personally concern is not at all", continues Johnny.

- I will not be better for it says about me in the newspaper. And vice versa. I will not be worse if it does not.

The kind of selfless attitude fits in well the long-General Manager Lou Lamoriello organization.

He has long since adapted to the conditions that prevail, and cultivated a very different kind of culture than the flashy, which is contained in Manhattan.

- "It is not too flash here. Philosophy is based on the team is important. Not individual players" says Oduya.

- "And I like it. The team goes first and that is what is the whole thing with lagidrott. If you like it and do not want to be individualistic you could hold on to any other sport. "

I Lamoriellos governance also includes a battery strict rules that both players and the media must respond to.

- Yes, it is a little more uppstyrt than you understand that the is elsewhere. Lou wants it in a certain way and you can possibly find that some rules are a bit old-fashioned. But if Scott Stevens lived like this for fifteen years, what shall I come and say then?

Not so much perhaps. In particular, as the Devils culture been so successful.

The club has won three championships since 1995 - and may this year be on the road to another.

- "I would give anything for it. Stanley Cup has been my dream ever since I started playing hockey", said Johnny, and continues:

- "It is of course much to be consistent then. But there is a possibility, definitely. We have most of this year, it feels like.

- "Beam. Experience. Hunger. Size. Forwards who can decide matches."

- "And so is Martin Brodeur on his way back. It is not like dozens goalkeeper. He helps us win those games we really should not win."

Devils have Johnny Oduya also, a character cut back after three seasons has established itself as one of the most solid pillars of the NHL's densest defense.

- "Yes, it has well gone well. I have developed and taught me much about the position of the game, I was to be and I was not to be."

- Now I'm working on developing continuity. I want to be a good hockeyspelare every night. It is not possible, it can not be one hundred per cent in 82 matches, but you can minimize the number of bad nights to five instead of ten. It is the challenge.

The former Djurgården Frölunda-and-cool's contract expires after this season. Then he should reasonably be able to sign a new, much better - but it is not he thought of yet.

- "No, I try not to think about it. Lou's philosophy is the same in the case. Ready to play, then discusses these things."

Olympics in Vancouver next year, he has not had time to think about.

- "No, it is even further away in time. It would, of course, incredibly fun, but there are many players fighting for the few places."

Those who decide should know that Johnny Oduya is as good as the more the attention of colleagues in the neighborhood.

-per http://free-translation.imtranslator.net/

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:17 PM
In The Flesh

No ex-devils and we can't sign any d men for like 6 yrs.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If that.

I personally value him right around 1.5M or so. I think if he leaves New Jersey, he'll be a huge UFA flop.

Just don't see much in him at all as a player outside of Jersey.
keep in mind salvador is making 2.9 and johnny has been better than him and is already 27 so if he is going long term, or somewhat long term, he is going to want atleast 2.5

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

What a quaint little story!

Thank you debbies!

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:20 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Considering the depth of defensemen in the organization, the amount of money tied up in Redden and Rozsival, the future amount destined for Staal, and that I'd just assume re-sign Mara, I can't think of a reason why the Rangers would or should pursue Oduya.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:55 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Oduya IS promising but for the love of God, please, no more Debbies. I need like at least a 5 year break without any and we're already stuck with Gomez.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

I'm 99% he isn't going anywhere but I wouldn't be surprised if sather offers up some ridiculous deal

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
keep in mind salvador is making 2.9 and johnny has been better than him and is already 27 so if he is going long term, or somewhat long term, he is going to want atleast 2.5
Which is why the Salvador deal was dumb.

Salvador is a solid 5/6 defenseman. I never in my life thought I'd see the guy making nearly 3M a year.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
I'm 99% he isn't going anywhere but I wouldn't be surprised if sather offers up some ridiculous deal
something along the lines of 20mil for 4 years?

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote