HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT:The use of the word "Racist", Nationalism and the FC Barcelona

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Kafka

vCash: 500
OT:The use of the word "Racist", Nationalism and the FC Barcelona

It is sad to read you guys. Too easy for anyone to say someone is "racist" when that person is nothing near being racist. I refer here to comments regarding journalist Tremblay.

Wanting more North American is not a racist thing: it's only part of the game. There is hockey, and there is the Stanley Cup. Most North American hockey fans see the Stanley cup not only like a Championship, but like the most important thing they could win in a lifetime. It's probably the same for a Russian in the RSL or Swedish in the SEL. It's something you get during childhood and that stays in your guts. Some europeans will get that feeling and will do anything to win. Others will never find that and will end their career in an european league.

As for Les Canadiens, it is notorious that this team is at the roots of a nationalist feeling in Quebec. That team is the pride of a nation, like the FC Barcelona is for Catalans as examplified by the following link from their website (http://www.santeetudiante.com/RTECon...AECUMsante.pdf). Who's playing for that team? Yes, great players like Henry, Keita, Henrique.... But just take a look at their roster: its filled dominantly with Catalans! Pujol, Xavi, Valdés, Mata, the list is long...

Are Catalans racists or is it a pride nation? They aren't trying to destroy an other population: they simply want to exist, and they exist through their team.

So for now on, please take the Montreal Canadiens for what they are, and understand that talent + emotion are required to win this game.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
germanative

Amen!

Old
02-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

It doesn't change the fact that Réjaune Tremblay is an expert at one kind of journalism... and I'm talking about the yellow kind.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:34 PM
GoodKiwi

Old
02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
It is sad to read you guys. Too easy for anyone to say someone is "racist" when that person is nothing near being racist. I refer here to comments regarding journalist Tremblay.

Wanting more North American is not a racist thing: it's only part of the game. There is hockey, and there is the Stanley Cup. Most North American hockey fans see the Stanley cup not only like a Championship, but like the most important thing they could win in a lifetime. It's probably the same for a Russian in the RSL or Swedish in the SEL. It's something you get during childhood and that stays in your guts. Some europeans will get that feeling and will do anything to win. Others will never find that and will end their career in an european league.

As for Les Canadiens, it is notorious that this team is at the roots of a nationalist feeling in Quebec. That team is the pride of a nation, like the FC Barcelona is for Catalans as examplified by the following link from their website (http://www.santeetudiante.com/RTECon...AECUMsante.pdf). Who's playing for that team? Yes, great players like Henry, Keita, Henrique.... But just take a look at their roster: its filled dominantly with Catalans! Pujol, Xavi, Valdés, Mata, the list is long...

Are Catalans racists or is it a pride nation? They aren't trying to destroy an other population: they simply want to exist, and they exist through their team.

So for now on, please take the Montreal Canadiens for what they are, and understand that talent + emotion are required to win this game.
I completly agree with you, but do you how this thread will end up?

And btw this is an internet forum, you shouldn't care what people say.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Kafka

It all depend on the intelligence level of the ones who will post. Since I posted, I say 33% are ok. Why can't people act and behave like graown-ups even if they aren't?

Old
02-19-2009, 12:40 PM
number 11

wanting more north americans is one thing....releasing BS information to the media without ANY credible sources (unknown russian source?) with a mandate of taking down the team because there aren't enough quebecers on it is another.

admit it or not, the french media takes **** way too far in their headhunting and invasion of privacy of the players on this hockey team.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
LeMAD

Actually every fans in the NHL like their hometown boys, and Montréal is the only place where it makes sense, since the Habs are basically the team of a nation.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I completly agree with you, but do you how this thread will end up?

And btw this is an internet forum, you shouldn't care what people say.
Where to start?

You agree with the inference that Russian or European born players are not as motivated to win the Cup? Can you produce even a shred of evidence which supports such a claim?

Old
02-19-2009, 12:42 PM
mcphee

I like the thread title, very Hunter S. Thompson like. I've never really thought it was racism with the likes of Tremblay. I've always felt that he felt a certain stature or ownership with the team, and gradually has been shut out. There is a faction that doesn't like the way 'their' team is handled and I don't define that as racism.

There are some with those tendencies however and many stories take the route of attracting that audience, but what the hell, people in North America have been elected by sucking up to certain stereotypes.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Fido22

Nobody questioned wanting quebecois on the team , people questioned that he implied that the Habs treat quebecois less favorably than others.

To that there is no merit.

What where you trying to blow this up to be again?

Old
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Where to start?

You agree with the inference that Russian or European born players are not as motivated to win the Cup? Can you produce even a shred of evidence which supports such a claim?
As I said, it is not EVERY europeans who act like that (ex: Holmstrom), nor all north-american play like they cared (ex: Daigle).

Old
le_sean

"Racist" isn't even the correct word. People throw it out there like it means nothing.

Quebecers are not a race, neither are Europeans.

"Bigot" makes much more sense and "Xenophobe" in extreme cases.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Roulin

Quote:
As for Les Canadiens, it is notorious that this team is at the roots of a nationalist feeling in Quebec. That team is the pride of a nation, like the FC Barcelona is for Catalans...
The majority of Quebecois are not nationalists, and the vast majority of Montrealers are not nationalists.

The part of Montreal where I live, the mile end, is full of immigrants. I am proud of the city of Montreal, and I am proud when I see some amazing European and Russian players embracing our city. The fact that a player like Havlat chooses to live here in the offseason adds a whole bunch to his appeal as a free agent, in my view - just as much as if he were a native Montreal who lived here in the offseason.

That said, I understand the appeal of NHL'ers who were born here, and were developped in the Q. I just don't see the need to make an issue of the ethnic makeup of the team. There are some great stories, regardless of ethnicity - from Latendresse's perseverence in the face of pressure, to Streit's willingness to stick it out despite the security and wealth waiting for him in Switzerland.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
people in North America have been elected by sucking up to certain stereotypes.
It's the same in spain mcphee. Are you gonna sit there (or stand, I have no idea really) and tell me the spaniards are wrong?

Old
02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
habfan4

Quote:
As I said, it is not EVERY europeans who act like that (ex: Holmstrom), nor all north-american play like they cared (ex: Daigle).
Pointing out a single example on either side does nothing to make the central point any less of a baseless generalization.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Don't need two threads that will both get out of hand.

Closed Thread