Notices

Value of Pavelec

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2009, 08:58 PM
ThorntonFan19

vCash: 500
Value of Pavelec

This year Nabokov is starting to slow down and it looks like the sharks are going to need someone to replace him in the next two years. Is he available? If so is there interest in some of SJ players?

Old
02-17-2009, 09:39 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

His value is probably as low as it will ever be right now. However I wouldn't move him until he spends a full year in the NHL as a backup.

After his little "I won't report to the AHL" tantrum, he got lit up in the NHL. So that should buy the Thrashers at least another year of him coming up and down from the AHL, so in 2 years he can be a full time NHLer hopefully backing up Lehtonen.

Old
02-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Tommy Hawk

And he is not doing so well in the AHL either!!

Old
02-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Ashe

He was hurt part of it. Something with him seems off, and its scary.

Old
02-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Pavelec will do fine when he is Atlanta's starter next year.

Old
02-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Ashe

you mean in 2013

Old
02-18-2009, 12:26 AM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
lawl. i thought they wanted to fix being the 2nd most scored upon team in the nhl, not make it monumentally worse.

Old
02-18-2009, 03:38 AM
toph2o

I actually HOPE it's an injury thing with OP, and not Michael Garnett-itis (pouting at being in the AHL).

Old
02-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Capa*

Quote:
such a delousional post
I cant believe your still on that train of thought.. Kari = Future, Kari >>>Pavy 11times out of 10

Old
02-18-2009, 03:57 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capa View Post
such a delousional post
I cant believe your still on that train of thought.. Kari = Future, Kari >>>Pavy 11times out of 10
Their GAA and SV% comparisons over the course of their careers show that as well. At no point has Pavelec had better numbers than Lehtonen.

Old
02-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capa View Post
such a delousional post
You're the delusional one if you think that Kari will ever be an elite goalie. He's an injury riddled sieve who will NEVER be a star in the NHL. He's not even the best goalie in a division with the NHL's worst goalies/defense. Vokoun, Theodore, Ward, and Anderson are all better goalies than Lehtonen.

Old
02-18-2009, 05:49 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
Their GAA and SV% comparisons over the course of their careers show that as well. At no point has Pavelec had better numbers than Lehtonen.
Quote:
You're the delusional one if you think that Kari will ever be an elite goalie. He's an injury riddled sieve who will NEVER be a star in the NHL. He's not even the best goalie in a division with the NHL's worst goalies/defense. Vokoun, Theodore, Ward, and Anderson are all better goalies than Lehtonen.
Feel free to just skip over my stats based post and go right along with your opinion of who will be better. Considering the fact that he put up Hedberg like numbers and has two no decisions because he had to be pulled is not helping your case. He's also not doing so hot in the AHL this year.

Old
02-18-2009, 06:52 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
the thing is though, you sitting here tearing lehtonen apart is doing nothing to help your side of the argument. I personally think lehtonen is already an elite goalie in the nhl, but despite what lehtonen's stats are or what you think about him, he is still miles better than pavelec. pavelec has proven absolutely nothing to me or anyone else in the time he spent with this club and no way should he even be considered for a starting position any time soon.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Pavelec is still better than Lehtonen, regardless of the stats. You'll see in due time.

Old
02-19-2009, 01:36 AM
blankspace6

Old
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Capa*

Quote:
Pavelec is still better than Lehtonen, regardless of the stats. You'll see in due time.
solid arguement

Old
02-19-2009, 12:48 PM
pfloyd75

Quote:
I hope so, but I doubt it. So far there is nothing I have seen that indicates that Pavelec will be better than Lehtonen in the long run and even if he does eventually surpass Lehtonen, I don't want to have him as the #1 guy while we wait for him to get to that point.

Just curious- Why do you think Pavelec is better than Lehtonen?

Old
02-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
I hope so, but I doubt it. So far there is nothing I have seen that indicates that Pavelec will be better than Lehtonen in the long run and even if he does eventually surpass Lehtonen, I don't want to have him as the #1 guy while we wait for him to get to that point.

Just curious- Why do you think Pavelec is better than Lehtonen?
As a non-goalie, it seems to me that Pavelec has better pure reaction skills and therefore has more upside as he refines his technique.

I also think Pavelec has a better "temperment" (I'll leave it at that) than Lehtonen which might give Pavs a long term edge.

Old
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
As a non-goalie, it seems to me that Pavelec has better pure reaction skills and therefore has more upside as he refines his technique.

I also think Pavelec has a better "temperment" (I'll leave it at that) than Lehtonen which might give Pavs a long term edge.
I have a question for you two - how many time have you seen each of them play, especially Pavs?

I have seen Lehts plays since he came here and I mean almost EVERY game. Same with Pavs. Lehts is a better goalie. He positions better, he handles the puck better, he controls his rebounds better. The only thing he is NOT better at Pavs at is laying off the cheeseburgers and staying in condiiton.

As far ass this year in Chicago goes, Pavs is not injured and is still playing like garbage. Krahn and Gherson are better.

Will Pavalec ever be better than Lehts? I do not know. If I could tell the future I would not be writing on a message board. Do I think, based upon the information gathered so far, will it happen? No.

Old
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Ashe

"The only thing he is NOT better at Pavs at is laying off the cheeseburgers and staying in condiiton."
The only knock against Lehtonen.

Old
02-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
I have a question for you two - how many time have you seen each of them play, especially Pavs?

I have seen Lehts plays since he came here and I mean almost EVERY game. Same with Pavs. Lehts is a better goalie. He positions better, he handles the puck better, he controls his rebounds better. The only thing he is NOT better at Pavs at is laying off the cheeseburgers and staying in condiiton.

As far ass this year in Chicago goes, Pavs is not injured and is still playing like garbage. Krahn and Gherson are better.

Will Pavalec ever be better than Lehts? I do not know. If I could tell the future I would not be writing on a message board. Do I think, based upon the information gathered so far, will it happen? No.
I've seen them both play all their NHL games and I've seen them both play some AHL games.

Lehtonen has superior technique right now no doubt about that. Pavelec could certainly improve in that area. Pavelec makes some great reaction/instinct saves that Kari does not. I think that Pavs has a lot of upside/potential.

I'm NOT saying Pavelec is better than Lehtonen today. But Lehtonen wants big money next summer (~$4+ million per year) and frankly he hasn't been healthy or nearly consistent enough to deserve that.

So if you're GM you have to choose between the young, cheap guy with a lot of potential and the expensive, inconsistent, injury prone guy. Neither are perfect choices, but giving the financial state of the franchise I'd choose young, cheap and talented and use the $4+ million Lehtonen wants on a scoring forward.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Old
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
GetPucksDeep

Kari has gotten better every year. He's playing some of the best hockey of his career now, with the occasional brain-fart game thrown in for good measure.

The real question is about his health. Is it good enough to pay him what he wants to lock him up and make sure he stays. I just don't know. I lean towards saying yes, pay him. But it's a close call.

Old
02-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Ashe

give leht 3.5 for 4 years, and see what happens.if all else fails, in two years when teams are looking for goalies on the cheap, and pav somehow improves. We trade leht's a guy with experiance to a team with a young core of guys

Old
02-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
I've seen them both play all their NHL games and I've seen them both play some AHL games.

Lehtonen has superior technique right now no doubt about that. Pavelec could certainly improve in that area. Pavelec makes some great reaction/instinct saves that Kari does not. I think that Pavs has a lot of upside/potential.

I'm NOT saying Pavelec is better than Lehtonen today. But Lehtonen wants big money next summer (~$4+ million per year) and frankly he hasn't been healthy or nearly consistent enough to deserve that.

So if you're GM you have to choose between the young, cheap guy with a lot of potential and the expensive, inconsistent, injury prone guy. Neither are perfect choices, but giving the financial state of the franchise I'd choose young, cheap and talented and use the $4+ million Lehtonen wants on a scoring forward.

Your mileage may vary of course.
For Pavs, you now have to throw in injury prone as he has been injured as much as Lehts.

Old
02-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
"The only thing he is NOT better at Pavs at is laying off the cheeseburgers and staying in condiiton."
The only knock against Lehtonen.
Not to mention his mental instability.

Closed Thread