Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Value of Pavelec

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Ashe

vCash: 500
I could say the same about Pav's and his play this year in the AHL after being up in the NHL.

Hell i'm sure you'd be losing your **** playing net for the thrashers

Old
02-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Capa*

I remember Lux saying that a whole bunch of goalies were playing better than Lehtonen right now and i felt like digging up some actual stats.

DESPITE the UBER slow start Kari had this year while being on the 2 WORST team in the National Hockey League Karis numbers are better than the following goaltenders..tell me if these names sound familiar?

Bryzgalov
Kiprusoff
Nabokov
Price
Giguire
Theodore
Turco
Toskola
Osgood
Raycroft
Budjai
And theres a couple more less important names.

hmmm...interesting, no?

Last edited by Capa*: 02-20-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old
02-20-2009, 07:18 AM
pfloyd75

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
As a non-goalie, it seems to me that Pavelec has better pure reaction skills and therefore has more upside as he refines his technique.

I also think Pavelec has a better "temperment" (I'll leave it at that) than Lehtonen which might give Pavs a long term edge.
I'll give you the reaction skills. I suppose it boils down to what type of goalie you prefer. Lehtonen is superb positionally and has great size. He takes up a lot of the net and plays "big" to shooters. He makes a lot of saves just by being in the right place at the right time. Pavelec relies more on his reactions and makes the "flashy" saves.

Personally, I like the big goalie who makes saves look easy because they are in the right position.

Also- and this is purely a hypothesis on my part- I think over the long haul, "position" goalies will hold up better health-wise than "reaction" goalies just because they do less diving and flopping. I have no evidence to back that up, but it makes sense to me.

Old
02-20-2009, 09:39 AM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capa View Post
I remember Lux saying that a whole bunch of goalies were playing better than Lehtonen right now and i felt like digging up some actual stats.

DESPITE the UBER slow start Kari had this year while being on the 2 WORST team in the National Hockey League Karis numbers are better than the following goaltenders..tell me if these names sound familiar?

Bryzgalov
Kiprusoff
Nabokov
Price
Giguire
Theodore
Turco
Toskola
Osgood
Raycroft
Budjai
And theres a couple more less important names.

hmmm...interesting, no?
But, Lehtonen sucks. He's overrated. He hasn't ever lived up to his potential. Lux says so. Can't you read?

Old
02-20-2009, 11:37 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
While it's very important to have a quality backup goaltender, if you feel the dropoff from Lehtonen to Pavelec is marginal, and you're happy with the play of Hedberg as a backup, trading one of the goaltenders is a very good way to improve your team without creating a gaping hole somewhere else. I mean, only one goalie can play at a time anyway.

If you can get much more for Lehtonen than Pavelec, and you don't feel like the drop-off is too much, then moving him might not be such a bad idea. There's no way I'd do it for draft picks though.

EDIT - I don't know why, but for some reason I kept thinking this was a thread about trading Lehtonen. I don't know how much value Pavelec has around the league, but if you can get something good for him and you've still got Lehtonen, then why not?

Old
02-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
I'll give you the reaction skills. I suppose it boils down to what type of goalie you prefer. Lehtonen is superb positionally and has great size. He takes up a lot of the net and plays "big" to shooters. He makes a lot of saves just by being in the right place at the right time. Pavelec relies more on his reactions and makes the "flashy" saves.

Personally, I like the big goalie who makes saves look easy because they are in the right position.

Also- and this is purely a hypothesis on my part- I think over the long haul, "position" goalies will hold up better health-wise than "reaction" goalies just because they do less diving and flopping. I have no evidence to back that up, but it makes sense to me.
And when you get older and the reaction time is slower, those saves turn into goals.

I think they should have traded Pavs at the end of last year, thrown in a draft pick, and gotten what everyone except Waddell calls a top line player. Waddell's definitions of a top line player is Todd whote.

Old
02-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Believe what you guys want to believe, but Lehtonen will NEVER be a great goaltender.

I'm done arguing with you homers.

Old
02-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Ashe

you've got a hard-on for Pav's and hate for Lehts.
We are simply asking for you to PROV to us why pavelic will be better? He has done NOTHING to show he will be

Old
02-22-2009, 11:31 AM
teme

Slightly off topic, but watching White try to hack it as a first line center was painful. He is an OK player, but he needs a two-way role in second or third line, not number one scoring role. To address the situation, there are couple options:

1) Move Little to center and get an UFA winger. Problem with this is that Little is looking pretty good at wing... Options here that come to mind are Havlat and Gaborik, and just maybe Kovalev (he has played well with Kovalchuk in the past.)

2) Sign an UFA center. Problem is the options aren't that good, Cammalieri, Connolly if you think he can stay healthy. And also, this team has problems attracting UFAs.

3) Pick up someone else's problem. Options Gomez, Briere, Nylander. Briere's contract in particular is horrible, Gomez bit less so. Nylander is old, but he only has two years left on the deal. All for cap reasons have very little trade value, meaning they could be had for little in return. I think this a bullet the team may just have to bit, it is not like they are short of cap space in near future.

4) Trade for one. The thing is that there are very few available, and they will cost a lot. Stars might be willing to move one of Ribeiro or Richards, but Thrashers would propably have to offer something like Enström. One interesting option would be to go after Filppula. He is stuck behind Datsuyk and Zetterberg, but given the opportunity he just might make it as a #1 between Kovy and Little. He has bad numbers this season, but he gets no PP ice time for example. Wings could quite well move him, 3m for third line center doesn't fit their salary structure. One thing Detroit is short of is goalie prospects, Pavelec might do it.

Old
02-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
Slightly off topic, but watching White try to hack it as a first line center was painful. He is an OK player, but he needs a two-way role in second or third line, not number one scoring role. To address the situation, there are couple options:

1) Move Little to center and get an UFA winger. Problem with this is that Little is looking pretty good at wing... Options here that come to mind are Havlat and Gaborik, and just maybe Kovalev (he has played well with Kovalchuk in the past.)

2) Sign an UFA center. Problem is the options aren't that good, Cammalieri, Connolly if you think he can stay healthy. And also, this team has problems attracting UFAs.

3) Pick up someone else's problem. Options Gomez, Briere, Nylander. Briere's contract in particular is horrible, Gomez bit less so. Nylander is old, but he only has two years left on the deal. All for cap reasons have very little trade value, meaning they could be had for little in return. I think this a bullet the team may just have to bit, it is not like they are short of cap space in near future.

4) Trade for one. The thing is that there are very few available, and they will cost a lot. Stars might be willing to move one of Ribeiro or Richards, but Thrashers would propably have to offer something like Enström. One interesting option would be to go after Filppula. He is stuck behind Datsuyk and Zetterberg, but given the opportunity he just might make it as a #1 between Kovy and Little. He has bad numbers this season, but he gets no PP ice time for example. Wings could quite well move him, 3m for third line center doesn't fit their salary structure. One thing Detroit is short of is goalie prospects, Pavelec might do it.
5) Win the lottery and draft Center Tavares.
(I can dream, yes?)

Old
02-22-2009, 08:15 PM
teme

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
5) Win the lottery and draft Center Tavares.
(I can dream, yes?)
Well, yes they can and should draft one, but I wouldn't expect any kid to step in to first line right away.

Closed Thread