HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

No More Kaberle To PHI

Old
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550

To Philadelphia:
Kaberle

To Toronto:
Carter
Philadelphia's 1st round pick in 2009

Sounds good.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 02:24 AM
mercury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post

To Philadelphia:
Kaberle

To Toronto:
Carter
Philadelphia's 1st round pick in 2009

Sounds good.
Change the 2009 1st to a 2008 1st, and get in the Wayback Machine and. . . I still wouldn't do it.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 02:37 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Change the 2009 1st to a 2008 1st, and get in the Wayback Machine and. . . I still wouldn't do it.
Let's go!

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 02:42 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

LMAO. Nice picture.

SnS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Miss Mess

Good post, all very true!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Please, everyone please stop making Kaberle to Philadelphia proposals. I will list the various things that bring us to the same conclusion time after time: Kaberle will not be coming to the Flyers.

1. The Flyers have plenty of puck moving defensemen. Timonen, Coburn, Carle, and yes, even the dreaded Randy Jones all make Kaberle redundant. Of course if Carle or Jones was upgraded to Kaberle there might be room for discussion. Still no proposals have mentioned either of those younger defenders going to Toronto as far as I've seen. On top of that, even if the Flyers did want to upgrade for a good starting defenseman with a decent contract they would be looking more for one that can shut opposing players down instead of helping put points on the board. Toronto fans may or may not be aware that our powerplay is pretty good already.

2. The Flyers have salary cap issues as well as a bunch of NHL caliber defenders. Proposals like JVR + 1st in 09 do not work if the Flyers can't even afford Kaberle. What's even more sad is that's not even the worst part of that proposal.

3. Danny Briere is a POINT PER GAME PLAYER. Briere is also $6.5m in cap hit, not $10.0m a season in cap hit. How is he a salary dump? So this salary dump + whatever high end prospect you can think of + a first is worth Kaberle? We are talking about the player with the most playoff goals since the lockout. Why would we trade our BEST playoff weapon in a trade deadline deal that's supposed to make us better going into the playoffs? Ignore the fact that he has an NMC and won't waive it to go to Toronto. Then in the trade thread Toronto fans argue over whether or not they even want to take on Briere's contract while trying to dump Kaberle's contract on us. We don't want him or a $4m+ cap hit on a defender if his name isn't Jay Bouwmeester. For Philly it's moving from one player who shouldn't be seen as a salary dump to a player that the Flyers don't need. What player really makes Philadelphia a better team...Briere or Kaberle? For $2.5m more I'll take my chances with Briere. And even if I do part with him for Kaberle Toronto is certainly not getting more on top of that.

4. The entire Carter + 1st to TOR for Kaberle is overblown. Okay it was offered and Kaberle rejected. It took forever for Leafs fans to realize that the inverse Kaberle + 1st for Carter wasn't going to work. Since then it has been baby steps with everything on Philadelphia that the Flyers want to keep being offered for Kaberle. You have to remember that when Carter + 1st was offered either Carter or Umberger was going to go at the end of the season. Jeff by February hadn't really clicked yet in the NHL either. He had a 53 point season last year, but many forget he didn't really turn it on til late. Since then he's gained a LOT more value. So at the time it was offered Carter wasn't anywhere near his current value, he or umberger was going to get moved anyway, and Philadelphia needed a puck moving defender. Now with Kaberle a year older with a year less left on his contract and with the Flyers having none of the issues they had when Carter was supposedly offered, why in God's name would they send players/prospects/picks as valuable as Briere, Carter, Hartnell, JVR, Giroux, 1st rounders, etc the other way?

OTHER OUTSTANDING ISSUES:
1. We are quite alright with the contracts of Briere, Gagne, and Hartnell.

2. Lupul is NOT worthless. He's a top two winger on at least 8 NHL teams based on this years stats. He puts up plenty of goals, is a 50 point+ player, and is signed long term. His $4.25m cap hit is more than some people would like to pay, but how many teams could desperately use a 50 point winger? Also it's not like he's 35. He was just drafted. Once again players don't start declining the day they wear an NHL jersey.

3. Jones is an offensive defenseman for $2.7m a season in cap hit. You don't want him that's too bad. There's a huge demand for what Jones brings to the table. He's sloppy at times, but nobody can question his offensive capabilities.

4. JVR and Giroux (likely add Parent and Sbisa) aren't going away unless a Biron upgrade or a top notch blueliner is coming back to Philadelphia with a contract that's not up at the end of this season. Even then JVR likely gets moved before Giroux.

5. The Flyers don't want any big name offensive contracts like St. Louis and Lecavalier. We just don't want nor need them.

I'm sure I'm missing some others, but that's the gist of it. IT'S OVER TORONTO. YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE. LEAVE US ALONE.
Great post .

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:07 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Let's go!

Original post was perfect, until this !

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
TOML

Hey, when Timmonen went down last playoffs, Kaberle would've still been there. And then Philly might have made it to the finals instead of the Pens. And who knows... They might even have been more competitive against Detroit than the Pens. Heck, they might've even won.

What if... What if...

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:13 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Hey, when Timmonen went down last playoffs, Kaberle would've still been there. And then Philly might have made it to the finals instead of the Pens. And who knows... They might even have been more competitive against Detroit than the Pens. Heck, they might've even won.

What if... What if...
Yea, you left out the part where Carter put the team on his shoulders in the second half while Richards was out and the whole team was slumping.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:16 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Not to mention he was one of our better players in the playoffs as well.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 07:19 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
Yea, you left out the part where Carter put the team on his shoulders in the second half while Richards was out and the whole team was slumping.
yeah, if kaberle had come to the flyers, there's no telling if the flyers would have even made the playoffs last year. carter turned it up.

we ended up dumping our pick anyway for a lesser version of kaberle in carle. hopefully carle will play to his potential and then our investment will work out.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:19 PM
twenty2

bump due to time of need with another ridiculous TOR trade proposal.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 03:32 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Wait, I know!

Kaberle

for

JVR and a 1st

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Mike Richards 18

I hope your joking. thats all i can say. and if your not joking ill just say salary cap among other things but its not worth the effort.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 07:10 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
I hope your joking. thats all i can say. and if your not joking ill just say salary cap among other things but its not worth the effort.
Are you referring to my post? Because if you are I think I'm the one who should be saying I hope you're joking. This exact trade was mentioned in the OP. Only those guys with like under 50 posts are daft enough to seriously throw something like that on the board without fear of reprisal.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Mike Richards 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Are you referring to my post? Because if you are I think I'm the one who should be saying I hope you're joking. This exact trade was mentioned in the OP. Only those guys with like under 50 posts are daft enough to seriously throw something like that on the board without fear of reprisal.
after a while you cant tell who is being serious and who is not, no matter how many posts people have.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote