HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor:NYR intersted in Cole

Old
02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
when did he attend Clarkson; I always thought NYR drafted Ryan from Guelph Storm. His bio states he played at Guelph from 02-03 to 05-06; how old was he at Clarkson?
Trxjw went to Clarkson.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Stretch Run...:l augh:

Id call it a stretch face plant right now.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 04:14 PM
dccuse

gameplan?

Although I donít propose a total firesale, I think this trade deadline should focus on acquiring benefits for NEXT season, not this current mess.

I like the Cole idea Ė for a number of reasons. The primary one being that this may be an invitation and an open door for Glen to get us out of cap trouble, and reverse the fortunes of this fortuneless team. Hear me out:

Say Sather is able to swing Prucha, Dawes, Roszival and a 2nd for Scrhemp and Cole.

This instantly clears up about 2 mill in cap room. Then, place the two new forwards with Gomez Ė a young power forward and a young sniper Ė he cant possibly do any worse, especially given that it looks like Naslund has just about lost his legs (or motivation) and Dawes is terribly inconsistent (albeit maybe at the fault of Renny/the system/etc.,)

This gives Edmonton a good power play quarterback (if used right). In addition, there is no pressure to resign dawes or prucha.

In addition, I donít have a problem with including the 2nd because I think Naslund will be gone and will fetch at least that (given Schneiderís return).

Then we let the drury, korpi, cally line stay together. Dubi stays with Zherdev and someone else (may have to be voros unless we relegate him to 4th line and give sjostrom a chance to earn a spot on this team for next year, which I donít think heís guaranteed)

In the offseason, in order for my plan to work, we need one thing to happen Ė Drury or Gomez traded. I donít think this is terribly unreasonable. if we have a disastrous end to the season I would envision at least one of the two accepting a ticket out of town.

That clears 6.5 mill. Kalinin gone clears another 2.5. Mara gone another 2.5. Cole gone another 4. That right there is 15.5 off the cap. Add the 1.5 or so wiggle room that we currently have and thatís 17.

With that 17 we resign dubi and staal each at 2.5-3 per.
Zherdev gets an extension at 4 per (maybe 4.5)

Thatís 9 gone. The remaining 8 we give 8 to hossa per year. next year play with

Schremp Drury Hossa
Cally Dubi Korpikoski
Sjostrom/Grachev Anisimov Zherdev
Byers Betts Orr

On D

Staal Redden
Girardi UFA
Potter Sangs/DZ/Sauer

Sure this forms a very inexperienced team but its an improvement nonetheless. Heres to wishing

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Richter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Although I donít propose a total firesale, I think this trade deadline should focus on acquiring benefits for NEXT season, not this current mess.

I like the Cole idea Ė for a number of reasons. The primary one being that this may be an invitation and an open door for Glen to get us out of cap trouble, and reverse the fortunes of this fortuneless team. Hear me out:

Say Sather is able to swing Prucha, Dawes, Roszival and a 2nd for Scrhemp and Cole.

This instantly clears up about 2 mill in cap room. Then, place the two new forwards with Gomez Ė a young power forward and a young sniper Ė he cant possibly do any worse, especially given that it looks like Naslund has just about lost his legs (or motivation) and Dawes is terribly inconsistent (albeit maybe at the fault of Renny/the system/etc.,)

This gives Edmonton a good power play quarterback (if used right). In addition, there is no pressure to resign dawes or prucha.

In addition, I donít have a problem with including the 2nd because I think Naslund will be gone and will fetch at least that (given Schneiderís return).

Then we let the drury, korpi, cally line stay together. Dubi stays with Zherdev and someone else (may have to be voros unless we relegate him to 4th line and give sjostrom a chance to earn a spot on this team for next year, which I donít think heís guaranteed)

In the offseason, in order for my plan to work, we need one thing to happen Ė Drury or Gomez traded. I donít think this is terribly unreasonable. if we have a disastrous end to the season I would envision at least one of the two accepting a ticket out of town.

That clears 6.5 mill. Kalinin gone clears another 2.5. Mara gone another 2.5. Cole gone another 4. That right there is 15.5 off the cap. Add the 1.5 or so wiggle room that we currently have and thatís 17.

With that 17 we resign dubi and staal each at 2.5-3 per.
Zherdev gets an extension at 4 per (maybe 4.5)

Thatís 9 gone. The remaining 8 we give 8 to hossa per year. next year play with

Schremp Drury Hossa
Cally Dubi Korpikoski
Sjostrom/Grachev Anisimov Zherdev
Byers Betts Orr

On D

Staal Redden
Girardi UFA
Potter Sangs/DZ/Sauer

Sure this forms a very inexperienced team but its an improvement nonetheless. Heres to wishing
while I like the idea of clearing space to acquire hossa in the summer, the deal you propose to acquire cole is a massive overpay. Schremp is worth basically nothing to the oilers, he was publicly called a non-nhl player by their coach not too long ago, and cole is struggling. I think something like prucha/rozy for cole/schremp is more than fair, but i don't think edm wants 3 $5MM defenseman on their payroll for the next 3 seasons.

tl;dr, edm doesnt want a big contract in exchange for cole

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Other Little Mikey

As depleted as our blue line has become due to injury, Edmonton needs a stay-at-home d-man a heck of a lot more than a power play quarterback, although a guy who can play the PP right now would be nice.

We're also paying Souray, Visnovsky and Gilbert about $16 million for the next three seasons, so yeah, no salary, thanks. Unless you want to give us a winger/centre who can play with Hemsky, I don't really see the Rangers being a fit trade wise.

Tell you what, call us back in the summer. If we don't sign Hossa, you can have Horcoff for Drury.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
DutchShamrock

He's had a tough year but this is a move that could work. I'd actually like to get a look at him in the offseason but if this gives us the inside track I think it's worth it. He has skill, he is a big guy and it would certainly fill the void on right wing.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I like Erik Cole.

That said, we get lumped into every trade rumor.
1 (OT) win in 9 games will do that to ya

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:44 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Although I don’t propose a total firesale, I think this trade deadline should focus on acquiring benefits for NEXT season, not this current mess.
I agree, except that if a fire sale meant trading everyone over the age of 26, I'm all for it. Just do it before March 2nd and work out a deal with Mara now to bring him back in the offseason, Doug Weight style.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
when did he attend Clarkson; I always thought NYR drafted Ryan from Guelph Storm. His bio states he played at Guelph from 02-03 to 05-06; how old was he at Clarkson?
No, I meant I'm a Clarkson grad.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
when we're a 1st round exit at best, id say no thanks to giving up our future for this guy

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:47 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Always liked Cole. He's got good playoff experience and speed. It would be nice to see him on Gomez's wing.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
<-- Clarkson grad too. I saw Todd Marchant and Steve Dubinsky play while I was there...

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

2006 Eric Cole is EXACTLY what Scott Gomez needs in a winger. He would be great. But post injury Cole has not had that same game. Can he re-find that edge on Broadway?

Buy low Slats .... buy low

02-19-2009, 08:13 PM
The Thomas J.*

There was a thread rumor about him coming to NYR right b4 training camp started, lot's of people were for it. I was against it & got killed for not wanting him. He really isn't having a great season.

I wouldn't trade for him at this stage of the season.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:14 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
2006 Eric Cole is EXACTLY what Scott Gomez needs in a winger. He would be great. But post injury Cole has not had that same game. Can he re-find that edge on Broadway?

Buy low Slats .... buy low

Sather has deleted that phrase from his vocabulary since he became GM of the Rangers.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote