HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Minor Hockey, Major Issues on The Score

Old
02-18-2009, 03:11 PM
littleD

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
Minor Hockey, Major Issues on The Score

Figure this was the forum for this thread. A day late, but you can still catch the last two parts.

Quote:
"Minor Hockey, Major Issues" is a three-part investigative series that seeks to expose challenges that Canadian hockey faces on a grassroots level. Airing exclusively on The Score, the series will be hosted and produced by Hardcore Sports Radio personality Sarah Meehan and will dig deep by hitting minor hockey arenas across Canada and speaking with the communities most impacted. Don't miss "Minor Hockey, Major Issues" debuting February 17th.
I only saw a bit of part 1, which was last night. Part that I saw was talking about the increasing fees for minor hockey. That part was also based in Ottawa, talking about how council here wanted to increase fees by 50% and were looking to take away funding for outdoor rinks.

Tonight is part 2, at 11pm EST. Crappy time I know. Don't remember what part 2 is about, part 3 tomorrow is about the "changing face" of hockey in Canada.

Anyways, check it out. The piece that I saw was well put together.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Figure this was the forum for this thread. A day late, but you can still catch the last two parts.

I only saw a bit of part 1, which was last night. Part that I saw was talking about the increasing fees for minor hockey. That part was also based in Ottawa, talking about how council here wanted to increase fees by 50% and were looking to take away funding for outdoor rinks.

Tonight is part 2, at 11pm EST. Crappy time I know. Don't remember what part 2 is about, part 3 tomorrow is about the "changing face" of hockey in Canada.

Anyways, check it out. The piece that I saw was well put together.
If possible, please record and post this somewhere so we can watch it. I'd really like to see it.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Stripes

It will be available on The Score's website soon.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
browntown

They better not increase the price, its already expensive on not everyone can afford it. My family had a hard time paying for minor hockey, and thank god they did, i h (ad a blast, and i would probably be a messed up kid if i didn't have hockey, probably be getting drunk every night and stuff, cuz i also live next to a pretty ghetto community, my apartment building is pretty sketch too, i think theres a drug dealer on my floor, though i might just be stereotyping cuz hes rastafarian, but back to the point, minor hockey is a good thing, lower prices instead. Harper should know, his kid plays minor hockey, kids need hockey.

browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Stripes

Fundamentally, I agree. However, it's not as easy as simply saying "reduce the cost". From what I hear, tonight's episode is about the cost of ice in arenas. The cost of ice time is just one factor in the high registration costs.

In turn, registration is only part of the cost that minor hockey really is. Equipment is expensive, teams who travel have to pay for hotels, gas, etc. Money has to be set aside for officials and sometimes scorekeepers too. Uniforms have to be purchased for the teams as well. I could go on, but I think my point is made about the costs.

I know some people out there think a government stimulus for minor hockey is needed, but is that really the most important thing being effected by the current economic state? Minor hockey was ridiculously expensive before the recession. I do think that playing sports is essential for kids growing up, and as much as hockey is ingrained into Canadian culture, there are cheaper options out there. Soccer and baseball are cheap (in comparison to hockey), and they promote everything that hockey does in terms of what a kid benefits from (team environment, being active, etc.).

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:42 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Video is up on the website...

Part 1
Part 2

Part 3 is tonight.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:28 AM
james bond

I dont think that the video covered the entire show. Does anyone know what Sarah said about a minimum cost to build a basic arena/sheet of ice from the original broadcast?

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:58 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Considering how equipment is higher in Canada and ice time is cost is suddenly spiking, will Hockey Canada lose its top status in the next 10 yrs?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 05:42 AM
Quicktimer

Interesting segments.... I know our mens leagues here in Ottawa have taken a hit too. Paying 280$ last year, too paying almost 350$ I find it getting to be ridiculous these asking prices. I do believe minor hockey will decline cause of this, but many organizations do offer relief programs which people don't take advantage of.

Quicktimer is offline   Reply With Quote