HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

John Stevens Thread - Volume 2

Old
03-17-2009, 09:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Tonight's game is the perfect example of why we need better coaching. We looked dreadful against one of the most well organized teams in the league.
One sign that the coach may not necessarily be in tune with his team was when Stevens was complaining about Avery for the entire game, and the rest of the team basically said the exact opposite, and didn't even give cliche, generic lines.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:25 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You completely missed the point.

This is Parise's first real big year. Devs have been competing with shallow offense and a very weak defensive corps since Nieds left...still been winning. Those teams were no more talented than what the Rags have now.

NJ is 11th in scoring this year. 27th last year. 27th the year before. 22nd the year before that.
Isn't amazing what trap hockey can do in terms of keeping teams competitive. I'll say it before and I'll say it again - teams that use trap hockey aren't confident in the players they have to get the job done. It's one of the reasons I'm glad that Hitch is gone because that's the kind of hockey he enjoys.

Personally, I take a look at what guys like MacLellan in San Jose and Babcock in Detroit are doing and they've just got every player focused on playing an aggressive attacking type system. I think that's the type of system Stevens would like to employ, but I don't think he knows how to get the results. As well, some of the blue liners seem to have a 'disconnect' so to speak with regards to puck movement, so that attacking type system might never come to fruition.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Our breakouts suck.
Holy ****, they do. I find myself hollering "get the **** out of the zone" at the TV (or the Flyers themselves at home) way more than I should have to. Its pathetic.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
One sign that the coach may not necessarily be in tune with his team was when Stevens was complaining about Avery for the entire game, and the rest of the team basically said the exact opposite, and didn't even give cliche, generic lines.
Or when he is complaining about the refs when his team is committing undisciplined lazy penalties. Also behind the bench in tonight's game Mrs. Simpson asks him why are we committing undisciplined penalties he says "I don't know" The guy is clueless

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Isn't amazing what trap hockey can do in terms of keeping teams competitive. I'll say it before and I'll say it again - teams that use trap hockey aren't confident in the players they have to get the job done. It's one of the reasons I'm glad that Hitch is gone because that's the kind of hockey he enjoys.

Personally, I take a look at what guys like MacLellan in San Jose and Babcock in Detroit are doing and they've just got every player focused on playing an aggressive attacking type system. I think that's the type of system Stevens would like to employ, but I don't think he knows how to get the results. As well, some of the blue liners seem to have a 'disconnect' so to speak with regards to puck movement, so that attacking type system might never come to fruition.
You're right, he doesn't. He's in way over his head. Have you ever heard the man talk hockey? He's simple minded (*cough* dumb) and he coaches like it.

When you hear him give interviews and all he says is **** like "compete hard on the puck" or "get pucks deep" and then you see the team play with zero organization, you start to think he's not just giving cliched answers to questions - that's really how he coaches.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
You're right, he doesn't. He's in way over his head. Have you ever heard the man talk hockey? He's simple minded (*cough* dumb) and he coaches like it.

When you hear him give interviews and all he says is **** like "compete hard on the puck" or "get pucks deep" and then you see the team play with zero organization, I start to think he's not giving cliched answers to questions - that's really how he coaches.
This has struck me the last two games, because of national TVs inclination towards stupid interviews in the middle of games, but he just sounds like an idiot.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Devs have been competing with shallow offense and a very weak defensive corps since Nieds left...still been winning.
The Devils have won two games past the first round of the playoffs since "Nieds" left.

TWO

Quote:
NJ is 11th in scoring this year. 27th last year.
Got blown out in the first round.

Quote:
27th the year before.
Got blown out in the second round.

Quote:
22nd the year before that.
Got blown out in the second round.

They haven't "competed" for jack ****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jer...season_results

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
The Devils have won two games past the first round of the playoffs since "Nieds" left.

TWO

They haven't competed for jack ****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jer...season_results
Neids and Rafalski, whose impact I think people underrate

Old
03-17-2009, 09:45 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
This has struck me the last two games, because of national TVs inclination towards stupid interviews in the middle of games, but he just sounds like an idiot.
Well that definitely settles it then.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:47 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Well that definitely settles it then.
I'm not saying it does. Its just that living in Colorado the last four years or so with no Versus, I hadn't heard him speak many times and this point was fresh on my mind.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
Neids and Rafalski, whose impact I think people underrate
Rafalski hurt for sure...that basically killed all of their depth back there. Even now, they don't have anyone on their D that you'd kill to have.

The real point that should be made in rebuttal to JXC is that playoffs are short samples and success or lack of success after 82 games of hockey isn't really the best means of evaluating things...lot of luck goes into it. Martin Brodeur has had some terrible playoff series the last few years...does he suck?

They were winning divisions with a very mediocre roster...playoffs are about matchups and getting hot at the right time.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:52 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Rafalski hurt for sure...that basically killed all of their depth back there. Even now, they don't have anyone on their D that you'd kill to have.

The real point that should be made in rebuttal to JXC is that playoffs are short samples and success or lack of success after 82 games of hockey isn't really the best means of evaluating things...lot of luck goes into it. Martin Brodeur has had some terrible playoff series the last few years...does he suck?

They were winning divisions with a very mediocre roster...playoffs are about matchups and getting hot at the right time.
you're probably right, I just really wanted to throw out there how highly I think of Rafalski

Old
03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

When you hear him give interviews and all he says is **** like "compete hard on the puck" or "get pucks deep" and then you see the team play with zero organization, you start to think he's not just giving cliched answers to questions - that's really how he coaches.
So, he used the terms that Billy Barber used when he was a coach here......

Old
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
you're probably right, I just really wanted to throw out there how highly I think of Rafalski
Rafalski is very good, but if you look at those Devs teams with him and not Nieds...he's not exactly a "franchise" guy or anything. Solid top pairing guy, but he's a bit small and not nearly as good as Nieds to make up for that.

It's just absurd to act as if it's a blight on the Devs record (ya know, making and winning a playoff series here and there) with a VERY weak roster as if you're proving anything in a discussion of whether the Rangers roster is good enough to compete and make the playoffs.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
So, he used the terms that Billy Barber used when he was a coach here......
His one and only mentor.

I do think he is a better coach than Billy Barber. Barber was just so old school that he hadn't taken on the new and far more "highly coached" game they were playing while he was coaching. I mean, not practicing special teams? What?

Old
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Rafalski is very good, but if you look at those Devs teams with him and not Nieds...he's not exactly a "franchise" guy or anything. Solid top pairing guy, but he's a bit small and not nearly as good as Nieds to make up for that.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the difference between Niedermeyer and Rafalski was that great. The only real difference Niedermeyer has on Rafalski is height. Skating ability is similar, defensive play is similar, and in terms of offensive play, I'd rate Niedermeyer slightly ahead of Rafalski and the difference isn't that great either. I think the biggest reason for the success in New Jersey was because of Scott Stevens and what he brought to the table.

Old
03-17-2009, 10:02 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

It's just absurd to act as if it's a blight on the Devs record (ya know, making and winning a playoff series here and there) with a VERY weak roster as if you're proving anything in a discussion of whether the Rangers roster is good enough to compete and make the playoffs.
Im not saying he's as good as Nieds, but he's basically the perfect "#2." And we totally agree on the argument about playoff series wins over just a couple years being a disingenuous argument at best.

Old
03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Im not saying he's as good as Nieds, but he's basically the perfect "#2." And we totally agree on the argument about playoff series wins over just a couple years being a disingenuous argument at best.
See, I think he's better than a #2, just down the list of #1s. Thus...on a good team, he's an excellent #2. So, I agree with you about how good he is...just needs to be put in perspective with what happens when you lose Nieds and Stevens in quick succession.

Old
03-17-2009, 10:12 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
I'm not saying it does. Its just that living in Colorado the last four years or so with no Versus, I hadn't heard him speak many times and this point was fresh on my mind.
Heh, sorry - bad mood.

Old
03-17-2009, 10:14 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Heh, sorry - bad mood.
No worries, it seems we all are.

Old
03-17-2009, 10:19 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
playoffs are short samples and success or lack of success after 82 games of hockey isn't really the best means of evaluating things...lot of luck goes into it.
Definitely. No one should discount the great achievement of winning a division with a mediocre roster.

Too bad they had all that bad luck or they may have won THREE second round games in the last three playoffs when they were superbly coached and well-disciplined...

Old
03-17-2009, 10:27 PM
medicman

No team, unit, club, clan, platoon, squad can function properly without effective leadership. Richards is the team captain, but is suppost to get his inspiration and direction from his superiors above. The question is do we have effective leadership?
A few weeks ago a segment was done on Hartnell. They showed a practice with the players interacting with the assistant coach(the older guy with the mustasch parden my ingnorance). The team seemed to be having a good time at practice and interacting with the AC. Granted the coach is not suppost to be your friend, but they seemed comfortable working with him.
How can you be inspired by someone who seems like he had a frontal lobotomy, hell even stoneface Babcock occasionally cracks a smile.

end ramble

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicman View Post
No team, unit, club, clan, platoon, squad can function properly without effective leadership. Richards is the team captain, but is suppost to get his inspiration and direction from his superiors above. The question is do we have effective leadership?
A few weeks ago a segment was done on Hartnell. They showed a practice with the players interacting with the assistant coach(the older guy with the mustasch parden my ingnorance). The team seemed to be having a good time at practice and interacting with the AC. Granted the coach is not suppost to be your friend, but they seemed comfortable working with him.
How can you be inspired by someone who seems like he had a frontal lobotomy, hell even stoneface Babcock occasionally cracks a smile.

end ramble

Jack McIlhargey

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:30 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
He needs to be fired.

Now more then ever.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old