HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will Sundin Get Booed?

Old
02-18-2009, 08:21 PM
mucca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Not really, They were very small booes, and they only came out when he held the puck for longer then 5 seconds.
I disagree....from my seat at the game it was clear that a couple of hundred people is more than a few....

mucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:26 PM
1234rer

He had a NTC, he exercised his right to use it. The organization turned their back on Sundin, not the other way around. Why should Mats help out an organization that wanted him gone?

If your Boss told you they want you gone and to find someone to take your job....would you help your boss find your own replacement?? I know I'd tell him to Fudge off.

1234rer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucca View Post
I disagree....from my seat at the game it was clear that a couple of hundred people is more than a few....
You were there?, How nice was Kipper's save from your angle?.

Was it as sick being there as it was on tv?.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Kamina
Amok

I see no reason to boo him.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:42 PM
mucca

Quote:
You were there?, How nice was Kipper's save from your angle?.

Was it as sick being there as it was on tv?.
F'in AMAZING! my seat was just off to his right side, so i saw it all. The whole crowd was electric all night and that just seem to set it off. Great game and great fans from both teams.

Old
02-18-2009, 08:45 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
A couple hundred is about 1-2 % of the people in the arena. That isn't a whole lot.

He deserves a standing ovation for being their franchise player for years and playing with the **** he had to play with but unfortunately he will probably be booed.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Explain, Two of the greatest NHL players in the world Gets booed.
They never played for the franchise. And for the number of years he did.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Mr Shanahan

Guaranteed he gets booed. But I'll be cheering him on from my couch at home.

Mr Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:47 PM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

i think the toronto fans have a right to boo him, i mean come on he just walked into free agency and didnt let the leafs trade him for an asset or two, b/c he said that he didnt want to be a 'rental player'... but this season he just became a rental player for the canucks, joining them mid-way through... that was such BS when he was all for beginning with a team from training camp and on

rajvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:49 PM
mucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
A couple hundred is about 1-2 % of the people in the arena. That isn't a whole lot.

He deserves a standing ovation for being their franchise player for years and playing with the **** he had to play with but unfortunately he will probably be booed.

Agreed 1-2% is a small amount considering the arena size, but no one else got boo'd. So that means Sundin got 100% of the boo's and that is a whole lot.

Hockey fans have had a love/hate relationship with Sundin. I know alot of hockey fans in Canada didn't like him even when was playing for the Leafs.

Old
02-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

I'd cheer for him.

My favorite hockey memory was when the pens were playing the Canes, Ronny Francis' last year before retirement. He scored and got about a 3 minute standing ovation. It was the year before the lockout so I was about 12. If I went back in time I might have shed a tear knowing what I know about hockey now. And seeing the support of a great player after leaving a franchise. Absolutely awesome.

Edit: And the ovation didn't start after they announced he had scored. He shot and scored and everyone jumped up like we had scored. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Orr: Back in the very old NHL, if a team rejected signing you the first time regional rights were dropped for that player. You were able to sign kids at young ages and put them in your affiliates as low as just barely higher than house league. Orr approached the Leafs when he was twelve. Leafs let him go, rest is history.

Gretzky: High sticked Gilmour without a call Game 6 of the Campbell Conference Finals, in overtime. Scored GWG seconds later. Gilmour wasn't on the ice because he was cut and had to get repaired. Leafs fans cling onto the fantasy that they would've won the game during the powerplay. Even though they could've won it AT HOME during game 7 and lost, people refuse to remember the existence of a game 7 because thats too inconvenient to them.

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

****, I mean

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:13 PM
CF

Quote:
This is the same fan base that has boo'd injured Canuck players on several occasions, so that's not really a surprise.

CF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Wilma

I would not hesitate for a second to cheer him. More than a decade with no supporting cast and the worst management in sport.

He owed us nothing.

Wilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:24 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234rer View Post
He had a NTC, he exercised his right to use it. The organization turned their back on Sundin, not the other way around. Why should Mats help out an organization that wanted him gone?

If your Boss told you they want you gone and to find someone to take your job....would you help your boss find your own replacement?? I know I'd tell him to Fudge off.
When the organization/fans overpay you for 8+ years pre salary cap you should help them if you can.

I hope the entire arena boos him. He did it to himself, blah blah blah I don't believe in being a rental, the season begins in training camp. Then goes and rents himself out to the highest bidder.

He could have helped the team rebuild but choose not to.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
mapes

If I was there, I'd cheer. It'll be a mix, probably more boo's sadly.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:49 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF View Post
This is the same fan base that has boo'd injured Canuck players on several occasions, so that's not really a surprise.
I'm a big Canucks fan, but I've seen our fans boo injured Calgary/Edmonton players as well. Idiots are not confined to one fanbase unfortunately.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
5H4RK5

Things don't bode well for Sundin if they boo Orr and Gretzky.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Red Dragon

Quote:
Gretzky and Orr were opponents, Sundin was a long time Captain, was a stand up guy and is well respected in Toronto.

Even Wade Redden had a standing ovation and he was booed when he played for Ottawa.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

The types of fans who would boo are the kind can't afford tickets and post on internet message boards instead of going to the games. Not surprisingly, these are the same types of fans who are openly cheering for the team to lose to get a better draft pick. It's a lot easier to want to see your team do poorly when you aren't dropping a C-note to attend live.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:58 PM
1234rer

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
When the organization/fans overpay you for 8+ years pre salary cap you should help them if you can.

I hope the entire arena boos him. He did it to himself, blah blah blah I don't believe in being a rental, the season begins in training camp. Then goes and rents himself out to the highest bidder.

Why should he help an organization that wanted him gone? He sacrificed salary years upon years for the team. He could have left for a higher contract years ago but he elected to stay and be faithful. Speaking of faithful.....who wanted to go back on their word in regards to the NTC??

1234rer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMan View Post
Do Leaf fans really have a problem with this? Even though Alfredsson is hated by Leafs Nation, did he prove you guys wrong by taking the team on his back to the finals?
Danielle has nothing to do with the topic. Seriously take your Ottawa crap somewhere else.

I hope Sundin gets the Pronger treatment in Edmonton

- He lied to the fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs

- Rumors are that he encouraged the other players to go down with the ship with him

This coming from a guy who was paid VERY well in Toronto to be consistent. Not a star, but consistant

Yes not only does he deserve the Toronto faithful to boo, as far as I'm concerned he is a traitor and hopefully is never honored by the team.

He could have just said, no I do not want to be traded rather than the "we still have a chance" BS or the "I want to be a part of the whole trip, not just half"

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 10:04 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
The thing I don't get is.. with this reasoning shouldn't Kaberle be boo'd, too, then? He had more coming back and he refused. With those 2 guys combined they would have had Halak, Higgins, Parent, Carter and 2 first round picks. *sigh*

But I'm a strong believer that guys with a NTC/NMC should not be asked to leave. They have those for a reason and took a paycut to get them.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:07 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
He could have just said, no I do not want to be traded rather than the "we still have a chance" BS or the "I want to be a part of the whole trip, not just half"
He believed they did have a chance. Remember him walking on crutches and struggling to walk let alone skate and was still playing to try and desperately make the playoffs? Mats did alot for the team and they turned their back on him.