HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will Sundin Get Booed?

Old
02-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
In Toronto, no he won't get booed.

In Montreal? You bet he will.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
If Canuck fans can cheer for Bertuzzi post-Vancouver, then Leafs fans can cheer for Sundin.

Though they might start to boo after he scores 3 or 4 goals.
If Bert can get a damn good Cheer after signing with calgary, Then hell Sundin could get the same.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
In Toronto, no he won't get booed.

In Montreal? You bet he will.
Who cares about Montreal,they boo every good player

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Dr Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
How was Naslunds reception in Vancouver this season? Was he boo'd by the fans or was it split?
I would like to know this too

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Lux Aurumque*

I don't see it happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It's Toronto, afterall.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:33 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Oh, he'll get booed. Its going to be real loud too. I know people that bought tickets to this specific game just to get in on it.

I saw a fan with a Sundin Leafs jersey at a game a few weeks ago that taped "$" over the S in the Sundin nametag. He was getting laughs and high fives by alot of people.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
I would like to know this too
Confused Nazzy and Morrison

Last edited by Lucbourdon: 02-18-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old
02-18-2009, 11:40 PM
SlowShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
If Canuck fans can cheer for Bertuzzi post-Vancouver, then Leafs fans can cheer for Sundin.

Though they might start to boo after he scores 3 or 4 goals.
Difference is that Bertuzzi brought the Canucks Luongo, while Sundin brought nothing and lied about the situition of him wanting to start with a team all year long. I'd boo him if I was at the game. Though I still get a little giddy when I see him on scoresheet for Van

SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:45 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Cheers, But it was quiet. Nobody really cared to be honest.
What??

Naslund has yet to play in Vancouver since leaving the Canucks. The Vancouver-New York game was played at Madison Square Garden.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
noobman

I predict a mixed reaction.

It's amazing how quickly we forget the years of service that Sundin gave to Toronto. Say what you want about the trade deadline and all of that nonsense... the fact of the matter is that Sundin played with the Leafs for 13 seasons while we wasted the best years of his career with players like Jonas Hoglund and Alexi Ponikarovsky.

The only good linemates that Sundin ever played with were Gary Roberts and Alex Mogilny, and IMO the chemistry with Sundin and Mogilny was never really there. Sundin could have left Toronto many times for greener pastures. He would have had better linemates, more career goals and points, and possibly even a Stanley Cup. Despite all of that, he stuck with the team and guaranteed himself a career that never truly reflected his talent level.

I'm not about to ignore all of that and boo Sundin for enforcing a clause in his contract, although Chris Higgins and a 1st sure would have been nice.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Chester

I'm betting on booooos.

Although I hope they don't, I bet he gets booed.

Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:47 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post
What??

Naslund has yet to play in Vancouver since leaving the Canucks. The Vancouver-New York game was played at Madison Square Garden.
Even so,I don't think Nucks fans give a **** about Naslund

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post
What??

Shhhh dont tell them, It made me look amazing.

Honestly tho, I swear I remembered him playing here, Oh well my bad I must have confused him and Morrison

Old
02-19-2009, 12:10 AM
mucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by npham View Post
What section were you in? I was in 107, row 5 and had an amazing view of that save. It was pretty disgusting.
Right above ya....207......the good disgusting, right?

mucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I hope he is.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Kitten Mittons

Someone should open up a poll whether he should or shouldn't, not would or wouldn't.

I say yes.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:30 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucca View Post
He got booed in the Flames/Canucks game last night.
Good job by Leafs nation out west. He will undoubtedly be booed in Toronto. It's a certainty.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
Yes he will be. Sundin is practically public enemy #1 here.
And if it happens I will voluntarily submit that Leafs fans everywhere are an embarassment.
We apologize to you all for out existance.

I'm surprised that something as unimportant as booing an athlete offends your sensibilities. There are a lot of other things worth getting embarrassed about, this ain't one of them.

I wouldn't boo, and I'd encourage others not to, but at the end of the day I'm not going to be ashamed because 19000 strangers decided to boo a millionaire athlete. They paid hundreds of dollars to be there and they can act however they please.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:20 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
I hope not, but I think he will get mixed reaction.

I think a better question is can he out cry mark messier?

(Waiting for a V Bookie event on this!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post

I wouldn't boo, and I'd encourage others not to, but at the end of the day I'm not going to be ashamed because 19000 strangers decided to boo a millionaire athlete. They paid hundreds of dollars to be there and they can act however they please.

Rolls right off them like water off a duck's back

Last edited by octopi: 02-19-2009 at 01:38 AM.
octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:36 AM
ukrleaf

He should start a fight with Schenn and beat him in a pulp. That's how he can show who's the real captain in Toronto)

ukrleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:53 AM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Leaf fans will continue to embarass themselves on Saturday night by boing Sundin, and every Canuck fan will be grinning on the outside and laughing a little bit on the inside

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:05 AM
TimmyVezina

That Leaf fans "like to boo talent" quote is dead on. lol

When was the last time they produced a talent worthy of Sundin?

Face it, they can't draft, they can't sign anyone under the age of 30 that is a top 75 player and they have relied too heavily on their goaltending in the "glory years" (Belfour and Joseph) and it's finally biting them in the butt. When Darcy Tucker is your sniper, they should have known they had problems 4 years ago.

I hope they can turn it around. Toronto fans deserve a team to be proud of, but having the FO tell it's fans that Antropov and Ponikorovsky(sp?) are the future(ala 2004) is a complete farce.

I hate to say i told you so, but.....

TimmyVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:12 AM
PTmbp13

Oh, probably, by some weirdoz, but being such a great leader and player on such a crappy franchize/team he really did what he could. No one else could carry this club better than Sundin, maybe except Messier.

In Toronto hockey is huge, but the team is awful. long time since they were some to set your clock to. As the same goes for England and their football - soccer that is. Its the biggest interest, but the game itself suck. at least GB National team.

Sundin will be booed by some, i think. Its not Ottawa, they even boo themself

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:19 AM
npham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucca View Post
Right above ya....207......the good disgusting, right?
Yes, sadly.

npham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Bottles View Post
A standing O for a guy who proved that he doesn't care about winning...
Obviously. How could he have stayed for 13 frigging seasons or so - in Toronto - otherwise? The guy was the player you had and this is how you treat him?

Quote:
... Let's see, he never lead the Maple Leafs even to the Stanley Cup, something Daniel Alfredsson was able to do...
or should I perhaps say . I think some people need to check up on basic hockey. There are more factors to making the playoffs than who is your star player and captain. Teammates, or should I also say linemates, is also an important factor. Management and coaching also comes to mind. But yeah, you're right, it's Sundin's fault Toronto never made it to the cup.

Quote:
... When he was injured in the playoffs, the real leaders like Roberts and Tucker carried the Leafs until Sundin came back and the team stopped playing hard..
No need to comment. Or, wait, just to clarify: you bash someone because he didn't play up to expectations when he was injured? How dare he!

Quote:
... Then Sundin has a chance to win the cup with a team like Detroit and he refuses to wave his no trade clause all the while drastically hurting the organizations chances of rebuilding because now he goes somewhere else for free, and where does he go? To the team who offered him the most money in a much tougher conference where Vancouver isn't even considered a top 5 team...
So now he can't even choose which team he can play for? The guy didn't even know if he would keep on his career or not, when Detroit went for Hossa instead. Perhaps you "fans" should have a negative opinion about which sort of clothes he wears or what sort of food he prefers as well.

He had three prime candidates when he made up his mind to play. New York, Montreal and Vancouver. Yeah, I can totally see how we wouldn't have this discussion regardless of which team he chose.
Quote:
... He has proven to me that he doesn't care about winning a cup, therefore he was a fraud as a Maple Leaf and his hold out proved that he only cares about himself.

Boo him all you want, he never cared about winning, therefore he never cared about you.
Totally ridiculous. His thoughts about retiring seemed real enough. He didn't get his hunger back for hockey until several months into the season.

Your management gave up the season, but Sundin didn't want to give up and leave his teammates. He and the team fought on and you were inches away from making the playoffs. Perhaps he shouldn't have given a last effort. Perhaps he should've given up and played dead instead, in traditional Torontian fashion (?). Then he wouldn't have been bashed to death.

So he gets bashed because he doesn't care about winning and then he gets bashed because he does doesn't want to give up trying to win? You can't eat the cake and keep it.

Nice to find such an easy scapegoat for all your recent franchise failures, that stayed in the trenches for you, for 13 seasons. As a non-Maple fan, it's hard to understand why he stayed basically his entire career there. He gave it all and gets mocked the first opportunity "the fans" get. What a waste of a great player to play for so long for Toronto Maple Leafs. Imagine his career if he played for a team with good management and a winning culture.

Last edited by Chimp: 02-19-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote