HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we ever going to retire a number?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2009, 08:15 PM
  #1
bladoww
Team of the Future
 
bladoww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Are we ever going to retire a number?

I keep hearing about and seeing teams retire numbers (ie. Messier, Bourque, Graves, Glen Wesley recently, and too many others to mention). Do the Bolts not have a few guys that are worthy of this honor? Andreychuk #25 or Bradley #19 possibly? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should retire a number just for the sake of retiring a number. The team is approaching the 20 year mark and I think that we've got some decent history that would warrant this. Outside of players currently playing, who would deserve it?

bladoww is offline  
Old
02-18-2009, 08:21 PM
  #2
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates
 
X0X0A0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 29,081
vCash: 50
Eventually. I don't want to do like the old Devil Rays retiring Wade Boggs' # for 2 years of below average play though. #4 should be the first number retired and then possibly Andreychuk.

X0X0A0 is offline  
Old
02-18-2009, 08:36 PM
  #3
Mr Underhill
Registered User
 
Mr Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Eventually. I don't want to do like the old Devil Rays retiring Wade Boggs' # for 2 years of below average play though. #4 should be the first number retired and then possibly Andreychuk.
this ^

the devil rays retiring a number is comical.

Mr Underhill is offline  
Old
02-18-2009, 08:40 PM
  #4
bladoww
Team of the Future
 
bladoww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
this ^

the devil rays retiring a number is comical.
Totally agree. That's rediculous. Boggs was great and all, but I don't know... Colorado retired Bourque after he was with them for one season right? I find that kind of odd.

bladoww is offline  
Old
02-18-2009, 08:43 PM
  #5
Mr Underhill
Registered User
 
Mr Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladoww View Post
Totally agree. That's rediculous. Boggs was great and all, but I don't know... Colorado retired Bourque after he was with them for one season right? I find that kind of odd.
great in new york and boston. plus bourque won a championship with colorado much like dave with us.

Mr Underhill is offline  
Old
02-18-2009, 09:04 PM
  #6
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
For The Chief!
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 20,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Eventually. I don't want to do like the old Devil Rays retiring Wade Boggs' # for 2 years of below average play though. #4 should be the first number retired and then possibly Andreychuk.
yes. I also think Marty after Vinny and Andreychuck, if they keep him around longer.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
  #7
Yzerplan
I has one.
 
Yzerplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,045
vCash: 500
We could easily retire Andreychuk's number and immortalize everything that man did for this franchise....we could and we should, absolutely.

Hopefully one day we can retire Vinny's #4 or Marty's #26 as well.

Yzerplan is offline  
Old
02-18-2009, 10:57 PM
  #8
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Playoffs
Posts: 14,127
vCash: 500
I'm not really a fan of retiring numbers. The Leafs have the right idea by 'honoring' them. I think a lot of players who've had their numbers outright retired are kind of iffy in the big picture. Say that the team is around in 100 years. Heck, even much less. Should a Lightning fan look up and still see #25 or #4 retired? What did Andreychuk or Lecavalier contribute to the team, in the past x decades? Are their contributions still so amazing that there numbers stay retired?

All Andreychuk or Lecavalier would become remembered for is that their numbers are retired, which for some reason, no one can ever wear again.

If a team starts retiring numbers early, and I'd still consider the Lightning as such, they end up having to raise the standards as the years go by. What would have gotten a number retired in the 2010's is much, much less than it would be in 2100. And all future players are obliged to not wear a number that was worn by a guy who is known as good, by reputation only.

Let me give you an example, the Edmonton Oilers retired an early player, Al Hamilton's #3. Who is that, even now? Was he so critically important to the franchise that 50 years from now a Cyber-Oiler shouldn't be able to wear that number?

Honoring and temporary retirement is probably the way I'd have it. No one could wear it for the number of years that the player was on the team or something.

Felonious Python is online now  
Old
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
  #9
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,657
vCash: 500
Andy's should have been retired when they had that little party for him. They dropped the ball big time on that one. He should be the first number retired.

Hopefully Vinny stays here and in 13 years we retire his number as well. Marty is in the same boat. If he retires here I would think he goes to the rafters as well.

EDIT: To the poster above... I would consider what Andy did for this team, eventually culminating in a Stanley Cup, is pretty significant. He almost single handedly brought respectability to this franchise.

IdealisticSniper is offline  
Old
02-19-2009, 02:29 AM
  #10
peanutvendor
Registered User
 
peanutvendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I'm not really a fan of retiring numbers. The Leafs have the right idea by 'honoring' them. I think a lot of players who've had their numbers outright retired are kind of iffy in the big picture. Say that the team is around in 100 years. Heck, even much less. Should a Lightning fan look up and still see #25 or #4 retired? What did Andreychuk or Lecavalier contribute to the team, in the past x decades? Are their contributions still so amazing that there numbers stay retired?

All Andreychuk or Lecavalier would become remembered for is that their numbers are retired, which for some reason, no one can ever wear again.

If a team starts retiring numbers early, and I'd still consider the Lightning as such, they end up having to raise the standards as the years go by. What would have gotten a number retired in the 2010's is much, much less than it would be in 2100. And all future players are obliged to not wear a number that was worn by a guy who is known as good, by reputation only.

Let me give you an example, the Edmonton Oilers retired an early player, Al Hamilton's #3. Who is that, even now? Was he so critically important to the franchise that 50 years from now a Cyber-Oiler shouldn't be able to wear that number?

Honoring and temporary retirement is probably the way I'd have it. No one could wear it for the number of years that the player was on the team or something.
lecavalier, superstar, ends up playing his whole career in tampa. not a wandering free agent, but like 20+years here. that deserves being retired. tampa was his team, and he was tampa for most if not all of his tenure. that is outright deserving, and honestly debating otherwise is silly imo. he didnt lead the team for 3 years, he was/would be the team for longer than any of us will probably hold 1 job continuously with the same company (and not only that, but be the posterboy/#1 of that company).

and its comparable. say, in 2254 someone elite is drafted, commits his life to the team, and is the star his entire career. maybe not leading in #s as a rookie, but is still the face and the hype and the thing to excite fans. who cares if then they are scoring 200 points a season instead of ppg+, or goalies or so good its like 20 goals is a richard winner, its STILL, comparatively, the same. and by predicting far into the future, the date i chose is roughly as far away as the signing of the declaration of independence. alot has changed since then, but we know about it and we honor it. do you know anything about john hancock other than he signed the declaration? no (i do but my life is history, so minor exception). i dont know the starting lineup the inaugural year of the lightning, but im still a fan. and we still honor the signers of the declaration.

say chara is 34 and he signs a 3 year deal here. superb player, but thats not enough. or crosby for that matter. or whoever else you want to throw in.

im not a huge retire number person either, but some things deserve it no matter how you try and slice it.

peanutvendor is offline  
Old
02-19-2009, 03:05 AM
  #11
Yzerplan
I has one.
 
Yzerplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I'm not really a fan of retiring numbers. The Leafs have the right idea by 'honoring' them. I think a lot of players who've had their numbers outright retired are kind of iffy in the big picture. Say that the team is around in 100 years. Heck, even much less. Should a Lightning fan look up and still see #25 or #4 retired? What did Andreychuk or Lecavalier contribute to the team, in the past x decades? Are their contributions still so amazing that there numbers stay retired?

All Andreychuk or Lecavalier would become remembered for is that their numbers are retired, which for some reason, no one can ever wear again.

If a team starts retiring numbers early, and I'd still consider the Lightning as such, they end up having to raise the standards as the years go by. What would have gotten a number retired in the 2010's is much, much less than it would be in 2100. And all future players are obliged to not wear a number that was worn by a guy who is known as good, by reputation only.

Let me give you an example, the Edmonton Oilers retired an early player, Al Hamilton's #3. Who is that, even now? Was he so critically important to the franchise that 50 years from now a Cyber-Oiler shouldn't be able to wear that number?

Honoring and temporary retirement is probably the way I'd have it. No one could wear it for the number of years that the player was on the team or something.
I see where you're coming from, but the simple fact of the matter is that argument does apply in certain situations, but not in Vinny, Marty or Dave's cases.

Plenty of reasoning for Lecavalier, St. Louis and Andreychuk's numbers being retired can be made.

Lecavalier who is soon to be a 300 goal scorer and 700 point club member. 9 straight seasons of 20 or more goals. 5 seasons of 30 or more goals(this season should make 6). A 40 goal season. A 52 goal season, in which he won the Rocket Richard trophy which may be one of the hardest trophies in all of sports to win. Obviously he was a key cog in the Cup run. World Cup MVP. 4 time NHL All-Star. King Clancy Memorial Trophy winner for his humanitarian work. His $3 million dollar gift to build that childrens hospital. And of course you have to mention he is without a doubt one of the most talented players in the National Hockey League, and has been for several years. Vinny has already made his mark on the NHL and this fan for one thinks that mark will only get bigger and bigger.

Marty. 559 pts in 665 GP. 6 straight seasons of 20 or more goals. 3 seasons of 30 or more goals. 1 40+ goal season. Art Ross Trophy winner. Hart Trophy winner(talk about a tough trophy to win). Lester B. Pearson Award winner. Playoff hero, Stanley Cup champion. World Cup gold medal winner. All around world class athlete and teammate. The best player in Lightning history not named Lecavalier. Louie Louie!

Andreychuk. 1338 PTS in 1639 GP(tied for 25th all-time). 97 pts in 162 playoff games. 19 seasons of 20 or more goals. 9 seasons of 30 or more goals. 4 seasons of 40 or more points. 2 seasons of 50 or more points. Became a member of the Lightning in 2001-02 and brought accountability and respectability to this franchise. And who couldn't appreciate the $50 fine he imposed to anyone who walked on the Lightning logo in the middle of the dressing room?

You see, all three players would be remembered plenty, I won't even pretend to know who Al Hamilton is or why his number was retired...but is very safe to say that all three of these players deserve their numbers to be retired in Tampa.

And besides stats and awards, sometimes a players worth and meaning to a franchise goes well beyond that.

Yzerplan is offline  
Old
02-19-2009, 05:23 AM
  #12
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
For The Chief!
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 20,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
I see where you're coming from, but the simple fact of the matter is that argument does apply in certain situations, but not in Vinny, Marty or Dave's cases.

Plenty of reasoning for Lecavalier, St. Louis and Andreychuk's numbers being retired can be made.

Lecavalier who is soon to be a 300 goal scorer and 700 point club member. 9 straight seasons of 20 or more goals. 5 seasons of 30 or more goals(this season should make 6). A 40 goal season. A 52 goal season, in which he won the Rocket Richard trophy which may be one of the hardest trophies in all of sports to win. Obviously he was a key cog in the Cup run. World Cup MVP. 4 time NHL All-Star. King Clancy Memorial Trophy winner for his humanitarian work. His $3 million dollar gift to build that childrens hospital. And of course you have to mention he is without a doubt one of the most talented players in the National Hockey League, and has been for several years. Vinny has already made his mark on the NHL and this fan for one thinks that mark will only get bigger and bigger.

Marty. 559 pts in 665 GP. 6 straight seasons of 20 or more goals. 3 seasons of 30 or more goals. 1 40+ goal season. Art Ross Trophy winner. Hart Trophy winner(talk about a tough trophy to win). Lester B. Pearson Award winner. Playoff hero, Stanley Cup champion. World Cup gold medal winner. All around world class athlete and teammate. The best player in Lightning history not named Lecavalier. Louie Louie!

Andreychuk. 1338 PTS in 1639 GP(tied for 25th all-time). 97 pts in 162 playoff games. 19 seasons of 20 or more goals. 9 seasons of 30 or more goals. 4 seasons of 40 or more points. 2 seasons of 50 or more points. Became a member of the Lightning in 2001-02 and brought accountability and respectability to this franchise. And who couldn't appreciate the $50 fine he imposed to anyone who walked on the Lightning logo in the middle of the dressing room?

You see, all three players would be remembered plenty, I won't even pretend to know who Al Hamilton is or why his number was retired...but is very safe to say that all three of these players deserve their numbers to be retired in Tampa.

And besides stats and awards, sometimes a players worth and meaning to a franchise goes well beyond that.
that is what I am looking at. numbers and awards are great and all, especially for marty and vinny who will end up going #1 and #2 in franchise scoring, but it's more what they have done for the Lightning. They are both players who have set great examples for future players to follow and strive to be. When you think of the lightning, you think of them.

When you look are Marty, you see his heart and determination. When you see Vinny, you see his willingness to drop the gloves for a teammate, and how charitable he is. Both are great leaders, and step up their games when they need to. You look at how hard the play in the playoffs. They both have great work ethics and would play through injuries if they had to. They both show dignity and are proud to members of the Tampa Bay Lightning. The free agents show respect to them, and even the much older vets of Recchi and Roberts know this is Vinny and Marty's team. They have done so much for this franchise and even brought home the cup to a place that not until then had gotten much respect.

Their qualities and characteristic are those that you want your players to posses. Not only are they great players, but they are idols.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
02-19-2009, 09:03 AM
  #13
bladoww
Team of the Future
 
bladoww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
I see where you're coming from, but the simple fact of the matter is that argument does apply in certain situations, but not in Vinny, Marty or Dave's cases.

Plenty of reasoning for Lecavalier, St. Louis and Andreychuk's numbers being retired can be made.

Lecavalier who is soon to be a 300 goal scorer and 700 point club member. 9 straight seasons of 20 or more goals. 5 seasons of 30 or more goals(this season should make 6). A 40 goal season. A 52 goal season, in which he won the Rocket Richard trophy which may be one of the hardest trophies in all of sports to win. Obviously he was a key cog in the Cup run. World Cup MVP. 4 time NHL All-Star. King Clancy Memorial Trophy winner for his humanitarian work. His $3 million dollar gift to build that childrens hospital. And of course you have to mention he is without a doubt one of the most talented players in the National Hockey League, and has been for several years. Vinny has already made his mark on the NHL and this fan for one thinks that mark will only get bigger and bigger.

Marty. 559 pts in 665 GP. 6 straight seasons of 20 or more goals. 3 seasons of 30 or more goals. 1 40+ goal season. Art Ross Trophy winner. Hart Trophy winner(talk about a tough trophy to win). Lester B. Pearson Award winner. Playoff hero, Stanley Cup champion. World Cup gold medal winner. All around world class athlete and teammate. The best player in Lightning history not named Lecavalier. Louie Louie!

Andreychuk. 1338 PTS in 1639 GP(tied for 25th all-time). 97 pts in 162 playoff games. 19 seasons of 20 or more goals. 9 seasons of 30 or more goals. 4 seasons of 40 or more points. 2 seasons of 50 or more points. Became a member of the Lightning in 2001-02 and brought accountability and respectability to this franchise. And who couldn't appreciate the $50 fine he imposed to anyone who walked on the Lightning logo in the middle of the dressing room?

You see, all three players would be remembered plenty, I won't even pretend to know who Al Hamilton is or why his number was retired...but is very safe to say that all three of these players deserve their numbers to be retired in Tampa.

And besides stats and awards, sometimes a players worth and meaning to a franchise goes well beyond that.
To this day, if you see a player in the dressing room (like during intermissions on tv) walk from one corner to the other diagonally he will walk all the way around the logo. I think that's awesome.

Also, don't forget Super Dave holds the NHL record for power play goals with 270.

bladoww is offline  
Old
02-19-2009, 09:10 AM
  #14
Maria
Registered User
 
Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,435
vCash: 500
Marty, Vinny and Andy should have their numbers retired, they have done way too much for this team, but my question is, who do they retire first??? Andy for being older, or Vinny because its Vinny

Maria is offline  
Old
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM
  #15
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
if Vinny and Marty don't get there numbers retired when they retire, it'll be a crying shame.

Doctor Drej is offline  
Old
02-19-2009, 10:34 AM
  #16
the mexican
 
the mexican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
I want to see #7 hanging from the rafters. That's right, Rob Zamuner. Still my all time favorite Bolt.

the mexican is offline  
Old
02-19-2009, 12:06 PM
  #17
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
Marty, Vinny and Andy should have their numbers retired, they have done way too much for this team, but my question is, who do they retire first??? Andy for being older, or Vinny because its Vinny
I think you retire Vinnys number first, he hopefully will have been the face of this franchise for his entire career, it is only fitting he is the first to get his number retired.

bassassin is offline  
Old
02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
  #18
Tokala
Registered User
 
Tokala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
I don't think that they have anyone noteworthy enough to retire a number.

Andreychuk is the closest based on his leadership with Tampa and the numbers he put up in his career. While #4 and #26 may be the best guys the last few years; I don't see where they've been that productive or important so far. Ten years down the road, evaluate what the real contricution was from them. Basing retiring a jersey number because they played here when Tampa won a Cup isn't really a good criteria IMHO.

Tokala is offline  
Old
02-20-2009, 07:55 AM
  #19
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,696
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mexican View Post
I want to see #7 hanging from the rafters. That's right, Rob Zamuner. Still my all time favorite Bolt.
Gogo Paul Ysebaert!


Lecalvier, even if he leaves, is a no-brainer. St. Louis I think needs another 2-3 years, but then again, winning a Cup makes a team crazy. Graves got retired because of 93-94 and he wasn't even as important to his team as St. Louis was in 03-04.

Jill Sandwich is online now  
Old
02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
  #20
bladoww
Team of the Future
 
bladoww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Gogo Paul Ysebaert!


Lecalvier, even if he leaves, is a no-brainer. St. Louis I think needs another 2-3 years, but then again, winning a Cup makes a team crazy. Graves got retired because of 93-94 and he wasn't even as important to his team as St. Louis was in 03-04.
Good point.

bladoww is offline  
Old
02-20-2009, 11:14 AM
  #21
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Gogo Paul Ysebaert!


Lecalvier, even if he leaves, is a no-brainer. St. Louis I think needs another 2-3 years, but then again, winning a Cup makes a team crazy. Graves got retired because of 93-94 and he wasn't even as important to his team as St. Louis was in 03-04.
Look, if you get Ysaebart, I get Tabaracci!

BadHammy* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.