HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

London Free Press: No blockbuster announcements, but Burke says change is coming

Old
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
timlap

vCash: 500
Quote:
...he was offered a trade Tuesday and his staff spent yesterday looking into the player offered in terms of his character...
This is the most interesting sentence in the article as far as I'm concerned. I've been amusing myself trying to imagine what player they've been offered. Obviously they have some interest.

timlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap View Post
This is the most interesting sentence in the article as far as I'm concerned. I've been amusing myself trying to imagine what player they've been offered. Obviously they have some interest.
Kovalev is apparently available!

ACC1224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It kinda makes sense..

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
timlap

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
It kinda makes sense..
It does? In what way? it makes no sense to me but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Old
02-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
It kinda makes sense..
Not really...he's a UFA...not like the Habs are in an Avery situation where there'd be potential for throwing in a pick/prospect to get him off their hands.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:48 PM
RayzorIsDull

Maybe Chicago is interested in one of the Leafs players and are offering up Kyle Beach.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
It does? In what way? it makes no sense to me but maybe I'm misunderstanding.
keep the playoff drive alive!!!!

Old
02-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Maybe Chicago is interested in one of the Leafs players and are offering up Kyle Beach.
Makes sense, actually.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Who are some of your possible candidates that you have come up with Pal?

My gut feeling is Chicago and the player/prospect is Jack Skille with Chicago looking to likely want someone like Nik Antropov.

Skille a young American former 1st rounder that has not been able to break in yet.. Apparently Kessel and Skille on team USA at the WJC previously didn't get along so some questions of character arise from a pair of former teammates that didn't like each other..

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:30 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

My gut feeling is Chicago and the player/prospect is Jack Skille with Chicago looking to likely want someone like Nik Antropov.

Skille a young American former 1st rounder that has not been able to break in yet.. Apparently Kessel and Skille on team USA at the WJC previously didn't get along so some questions of character arise from a pair of former teammates that didn't like each other..
I think you're looking too in depth, Skille went to Wisconsin and Kessel went to Minnesota. Those are two big hockey rivals and add to the fact both are from Madison Wisconsin it made for some harsh feelings I bet. I can't imagine either being a problem to play with though.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:31 PM
timlap

Quote:
With the entire league to choose from, it's kind of difficult to guess. I've been trying to imagine which team and which player of ours they might be interested in. My first guess is that Antropov is the most likely guy on our end. So who wants him? Columbus? Boston? San Jose? I really have no idea. If it were Columbus, is Jared Boll of any interest? If we can narrow down the teams, we might be able to make an educated guess.

Anyone else have any ideas about teams?

Old
02-19-2009, 02:33 PM
timlap

Quote:

Skille is an interesting choice, and more logical than Beach imo. I was hoping we would land Skille last year.

Old
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Cap space makes signing someone like Hossa possible.
and Bouwmeester.

and Backstrom.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
With the entire league to choose from, it's kind of difficult to guess. I've been trying to imagine which team and which player of ours they might be interested in. My first guess is that Antropov is the most likely guy on our end. So who wants him? Columbus? Boston? San Jose? I really have no idea. If it were Columbus, is Jared Boll of any interest? If we can narrow down the teams, we might be able to make an educated guess.

Columbus GM Scott Howson was on Fan590 Hockey Central at lunch today .. Said nothing really brewing yet and nothing immanent on his trade front but expects things to heat up the closer the deadline gets .. He said he has plenty of wingers but looking for a ** Center ** to add strength down the middle..

Since Nik is essentially a winger as is Poni etc, that might get one to believe that Dominic Moore might be of interest to Columbus and seems like a perfect Hitchcock kind of player.

I have suggested Jared Boll in the past might be a player of interest to Burke, however in this case if its Moore in question then I can also see prospect Tom Sestito and big 6-4 210 21 year old LW that was born in NY, but played for the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL in the picture. Kid is tough as nails and not afraid to play physical as his Pims dictate.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=80210

The holdup being that Burke might be in the process of trying it get Moore signed and if that fails in the next week might be ready to deal him.. So Moore to Columbus for Sestito and later round draft pick 4th might be fitting this situation with Columbus as the team in question.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:57 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:

Not to overvalue Antro but Skille hasn't shown that much and hasn't dominated at any level since his draft year. If it weren't for his high draft selection I am not sure he would be talked about with much promise. They won't offer Beach so the only deal I see with the Hawks is picks.

Edit-I see they have a 6'7" D man Simon Danis-Pepin playing in Maine. I know nothing except he is 20 yrs old and has 12 pts in 34 games so doesn't appear to be a pylon. I will take him and Chicago's 2nd for Antro

Last edited by nuck: 02-19-2009 at 03:07 PM.
nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
If it was the NYI or ATL I guarantee he would make the trade, and a top 5 pick today is not neccasarilly a top 5 pick tommorow, especially with the acquisistion of Schenn.
Why would Burke do it? Unless he is guaranteed Tavares maybe, but there is no guarantee that the Isles or Thrashers will get Tavares. So, I don't see Burke trading a proven, young and great defender in Schenn (who has not even reached full potential yet) for someone who is unproven in the NHL, even if that draft pick ends up being Hedman, Duchene or MSP.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:17 PM
mydnyte

Quote:

maybe it's Kessel ...Boston is going to be forced to move or lose someone. ...why shouldnt we be the benefactors for a change!

mydnyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:18 PM
mydnyte

Quote:

my guess was the team in question played yesterday

mydnyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:20 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Why would Burke do it? Unless he is guaranteed Tavares maybe, but there is no guarantee that the Isles or Thrashers will get Tavares. So, I don't see Burke trading a proven, young and great defender in Schenn (who has not even reached full potential yet) for someone who is unproven in the NHL, even if that draft pick ends up being Hedman, Duchene or MSP.
Of course he wouldn't, it would be beyond stupid.

Old
02-19-2009, 03:22 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
You dont think Burke would trade Schenn for Hedman or Tavares? If that is the case then Burke and his scouts have poor evaluation skills, proven or not, those two players are in another stratosphere then Schenn.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:22 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Of course he wouldn't, it would be beyond stupid.
Tell me that in three years.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Clip68

Quote:
Columbus GM Scott Howson was on Fan590 Hockey Central at lunch today .. Said nothing really brewing yet and nothing immanent on his trade front but expects things to heat up the closer the deadline gets .. He said he has plenty of wingers but looking for a ** Center ** to add strength down the middle..

Since Nik is essentially a winger as is Poni etc, that might get one to believe that Dominic Moore might be of interest to Columbus and seems like a perfect Hitchcock kind of player.

I have suggested Jared Boll in the past might be a player of interest to Burke, however in this case if its Moore in question then I can also see prospect Tom Sestito and big 6-4 210 21 year old LW that was born in NY, but played for the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL in the picture. Kid is tough as nails and not afraid to play physical as his Pims dictate.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=80210

The holdup being that Burke might be in the process of trying it get Moore signed and if that fails in the next week might be ready to deal him.. So Moore to Columbus for Sestito and later round draft pick 4th might be fitting this situation with Columbus as the team in question.
I think you are overvaluing Moore. If Burke could get that I'd say do it, but I doubt he could.

That being said, Moore would definitely be a cheap option for Columbus. I would imagine they are aiming a little bit higher though. Stajan would look good over there, also cheap and not a UFA.

Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
dacoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I think you're looking too in depth, Skille went to Wisconsin and Kessel went to Minnesota. Those are two big hockey rivals and add to the fact both are from Madison Wisconsin it made for some harsh feelings I bet. I can't imagine either being a problem to play with though.
There definately was an issue between Skille and Kessel stemming back from the WJC or their under-18 program. I remember reading about this and it is one of the reasons they were going to skip over drafting Kessel that year.

dacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Jakeman

I will go on a limb and say it's Carcillo because Burke wants Toronto to be tougher and Carcillo will fight anyone plus score every now and then. He has nice hands for a fighter, this is my guess from a coyotes fan.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:46 PM
FBA

I love how Burke reacted to the possibility of a Schenn deal. The guy seems to know what he's doing.

FBA is offline   Reply With Quote