HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

London Free Press: No blockbuster announcements, but Burke says change is coming

Old
02-19-2009, 04:27 PM
KLM-Line

vCash: 176
Quote:
I did hear Staal might be available, so I'd like to try and get him. We could draft Brayden, sign the Sedins, get Jordan Staal and then get another one of the Staals. Burke likes brothers, you know
"Oh boy, poor guy, he got Scheenered and Staaled - out for the season!"
"How Kaberlesk! They were totally Sedinzed."

Gotta try that with my hockey manager sometime.

KLM-Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Jakeman

vCash: 500
What if the offer is Turris,Carcillo for Luke Schenn?

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:24 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

we're not trading Luke Schenn but Burke will listen to all offers.thats his job as GM
but i'll play along.......

Tampa:Luke Schenn
Toronto:Stamkos & Tampas 1st round pick.

works for me.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
we're not trading Luke Schenn but Burke will listen to all offers.thats his job as GM

works for me.
Thats an easy one

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
I wouldnt make that trade. Turris is sketchy!

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:23 PM
KapG

Quote:
I say noooope

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:38 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Nay. Turris has obvious skills but probably wasn't ready for the NHL this year. Not as overwhelmed as Bailey in Long Island mind you, but a bit over his head. If they want to move him and get full value it will have to be next year. The Coyotes aren't on any time table with him so they can afford to wait.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
if offered on draft day, and it was #2 overall i'd take it.
That would be just dumb. Number one would be Tavares, so he's gone. I wouldn't take Hedman or the unproven rest over Schenn. Even trading Luke for Tavares would be a risk because Tavares is not NHL-proven as highly touted as he is.

Do people really understand Schenn's value? He IS 19 years old and playing veteran minutes in his rookie year against the other teams' top lines and performing exceptionally well on a bad team; he has not even reach his potential ceiling yet. Can you say with 100% CERTAINTY that Hedman will be as good (and pray that he won't be a bust)? Not to mention that Luke is a lion of a competitor who sticks up for his team-mates and comes to play every night! Luke ****ing sets the tone of the game some nights, even at such a tender age. At the present rate of his growth, Luke will most likely be the captain of the Leafs in the near future. Right now, Luke is the only pulse in this Leafs team. Take him away and there is nothing there. Many people felt Sundin had no heart even though he was captain for so many years, so we have Schenn now and people are willing to trade him away for Hedman or another pick?

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Inferno31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
That would be just dumb. Number one would be Tavares, so he's gone. I wouldn't take Hedman or the unproven rest over Schenn. Even trading Luke for Tavares would be a risk because Tavares is not NHL-proven as highly touted as he is.

Do people really understand Schenn's value? He IS 19 years old and playing veteran minutes in his rookie year against the other teams' top lines and performing exceptionally well on a bad team; he has not even reach his potential ceiling yet. Can you say with 100% CERTAINTY that Hedman will be as good (and pray that he won't be a bust)? Not to mention that Luke is a lion of a competitor who sticks up for his team-mates and comes to play every night! Luke ****ing sets the tone of the game some nights, even at such a tender age. At the present rate of his growth, Luke will most likely be the captain of the Leafs in the near future. Right now, Luke is the only pulse in this Leafs team. Take him away and there is nothing there. Many people felt Sundin had no heart even though he was captain for so many years, so we have Schenn now and people are willing trade him away for Hedman or another pick?
Think you have to take those Schenn glasses off for a second. He was the 5th pick overall last year.. If offered either of the top picks in 09 you'd have to do it. Schenn has proved a lot, but Hedman is a monster, higher potential than Schenn offensively, and has size. I'd take Hedman over Luke Schenn any day of the week, and thats no slight to Schenn.

Inferno31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno31 View Post
Think you have to take those Schenn glasses off for a second. He was the 5th pick overall last year.. If offered either of the top picks in 09 you'd have to do it. Schenn has proved a lot, but Hedman is a monster, higher potential than Schenn offensively, and has size. I'd take Hedman over Luke Schenn any day of the week, and thats no slight to Schenn.
No, I think people have to take their "draft-pick glasses" off for a moment. Yes, he was the 5th pick last year. But based on his play, if people could redo the draft over again, Schenn would probably go behind Doughty and Bogosian. Why do you think a GM would offer a top 5 pick for Schenn?! You don't think that GM could anticipate their pick might even end up being the number one overall pick? Take the proposal this way -- that GM is willing to trade a potential number one pick for Luke Schenn!

I hear your point, BUT until Hedman could prove that he belongs in the NHL, it is simply nonsensical to trade Schenn for him.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Inferno31

Quote:
No, I think people have to take their "draft-pick glasses" off for a moment. Yes, he was the 5th pick last year. But based on his play, if people could redo the draft over again, Schenn would probably go behind Doughty and Bogosian. Why do think a GM would offer a top 5 pick for Schenn?! You don't think that GM could anticipate their pick might even end up being the number one overall pick? Take the proposal this way -- that GM is willing to trade a potential number one pick for Luke Schenn!

I hear your point, BUT until Hedman could prove that he belongs in the NHL, it is simply nonsensical to trade Schenn for him.
If Schenn goes behind Doughty and Bogosian, if Hedman were in the draft he'd still go ahead of Schenn. Based on one year of play hes been amazing, but long term who has the higher ceiling and potential. A GM may offer a top 5 pick, but the post I was referring to was the number 2 pick.. Trading the number 3 pick for Schenn would give me pause and I wouldn't for 4 or 5, but not the number 2 pick.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:13 AM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
No, I think people have to take their "draft-pick glasses" off for a moment. Yes, he was the 5th pick last year. But based on his play, if people could redo the draft over again, Schenn would probably go behind Doughty and Bogosian. Why do you think a GM would offer a top 5 pick for Schenn?! You don't think that GM could anticipate their pick might even end up being the number one overall pick? Take the proposal this way -- that GM is willing to trade a potential number one pick for Luke Schenn!

Like I said earlier, tell me this again in 3 years time.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Superstar

Quote:
If Schenn goes behind Doughty and Bogosian, if Hedman were in the draft he'd still go ahead of Schenn. Based on one year of play hes been amazing, but long term who has the higher ceiling and potential. A GM may offer a top 5 pick, but the post I was referring to was the number 2 pick.. Trading the number 3 pick for Schenn would give me pause and I wouldn't for 4 or 5, but not the number 2 pick.
I agree, I will definitely not trade Luke outside of the 2nd pick, but I wouldn't trade him for the 2nd pick either. That's just me.

You may be right or you may be wrong with Hedman. But I don't think the Maple Leafs can afford to take a gamble right now. They have a gem of a player in Luke Schenn and he will define the character and face of the Leafs for years to come. He's already made quite the impression during his short tenure and you could tell he is already earning the admiration of the fans and respect of his teammates. I actually feel embarrassed that a 19 year kid needs to drop the gloves to defend his team. Hedman might be bigger and stronger, but he simply does not play the same way that Schenn does and may not be able to energize or affect his team the way Schenn could. It's a team sport after all and leadership, chemistry and team interaction is more important than simply having that one player. Hedman could be great, but I think Schenn is special.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Like I said earlier, tell me this again in 3 years time.
I'm telling you now. Who knows what could happen in 3 years.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:27 AM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
I'm telling you now. Who knows what could happen in 3 years.
No offense to Schenn but he is not nearly good enough to even warrant being discussed in the same sentence as a player like Hedman and Tavares, unproven or not. Anyone who has watched all three could easily make that distinction. You make it seem as if Schenn is having a Calder worthy year, and is a proven number one d-man, when in fact he has alot left to prove and is not even in the running for the Calder.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Inferno31

Quote:
I agree, I will definitely not trade Luke outside of the 2nd pick, but I wouldn't trade him for the 2nd pick either. That's just me.

You may be right or you may be wrong with Hedman. But I don't think the Maple Leafs can afford to take a gamble right now. They have a gem of a player in Luke Schenn and he will define the character and face of the Leafs for years to come. He's already made quite the impression during his short tenure and you could tell he is already earning the admiration of the fans and respect of his teammates. I actually feel embarrassed that a 19 year kid needs to drop the gloves to defend his team. Hedman might be bigger and stronger, but he simply does not play the same way that Schenn does and may not be able to energize or affect his team the way Schenn could. It's a team sport after all and leadership, chemistry and team interaction is more important than simply having that one player. Hedman could be great, but I think Schenn is special.
I also think its shameful the 19 year old is defending all the players who are older than him. I get Schenn has better leadership, grit and passion than Hedman. I also understand why you think the leafs can't take a gamble. But to be blunt Hedman has the ability to be a controlling presence in his own, and an offensive threat. He won't hit like Schenn, or lead like him, but he'll put the puck in the net often enough. Its debatable to what you think your team needs, and what is easier to get. A great player who hits hard, plays solid defensively and has the potential to be the next Foote. Or a a great player who scores, has size but has the potential to be the next Lidstrom and a Norris Candidate. No one knows what will happen in one year let alone 3, but given the choice between those two I know where my choice would lie.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:47 AM
facey

hmm... having two chance at #1 would not be a bad thing.... however there have been so many busts even inside the top 2 (let alone the top 5), that i agree with the statement that people need to take their draft goggles off..

we have an nhl d-man right now, with great leadership skills, and excellent defensive play.... and franchise player potential.

we would be trading for a CHANCE to draft someone with leading scorer potential (JT), or a D-man with more tools and a potentially higher ceiling (Hedman)....

at some point i think we need to say that taking to many chances is not worth it... if we knew the pikc was #1 or #2 that would be cool... i guess... though sometimes having some proven/established nhl players is worth a lot more... hence why proven nhlers fetch picks+prospect+plug....

aside from the #1 pick i say we hang on to schenn, and even then... i'm pretty happy with schenn.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Inferno31

One Season does not a career make.. Theres a chance Schenn stops developing, and never gets any better. We have a good young NHL defenceman, but given the risk-benefit of the situation Hedman wins out every time in my mind.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:52 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
One Season does not a career make.. Theres a chance Schenn stops developing, and never gets any better. We have a good young NHL defenceman, but given the risk-benefit of the situation Hedman wins out every time in my mind.
Its all but certain he'll get better, all he needs to do is fill out and he becomes much more dominant in his own end.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Inferno31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Its all but certain he'll get better, all he needs to do is fill out and he becomes much more dominant in his own end.
By the same token, I think its all but Certain Hedman will get better, he has a lot more of his frame to fill out than Schenn even.

I'm just saying Hedman > Schenn in my mind, I don't see why anyone wouldn't do a straight up swap.

Old
02-20-2009, 01:24 AM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
By the same token, I think its all but Certain Hedman will get better, he has a lot more of his frame to fill out than Schenn even.

I'm just saying Hedman > Schenn in my mind, I don't see why anyone wouldn't do a straight up swap.
I think Hedman will be amazing. A guy of his skill, size and speed is rare. That said, I'd prefer to wait and see where the Leafs will be drafting. For all we know, we may end up 29th overall.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:11 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolopolous View Post
I'm slightly concerned that the player being assessed is Ryan Whitney. Certainly not the type of player we need, not in the slightest.
I don't know, he's signed to a decent contract. I'd take Whitney and trade Kubina for picks or prospects.

Their cap hit is the same and Whitney is 7 years younger.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:13 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post

works for me.
That would work for most people

That being said Burke said it was only a "top 5 pick" so i can't see a big prospect coming back.

On that note I wouldnt trade Schenn unless it was a package of a Stamkos or Drougthy + a 1st.

And that would never happen.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:15 AM
sangreale

[QUOTE=Icewind Dale;18052337]I think Hedman will be amazing. A guy of his skill, size and speed is rare. That said, I'd prefer to wait and see where the Leafs will be drafting. For all we know, we may end up 29th overall.[/QUOTE]

Really? I think some Leaf fans would rush the Bastille.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Clip68

Quote:
I think as a sign of good faith, Burke would count Turris and Carcillo as 2 first rounders, so just add 8 more and "he's on a plane".

Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote