HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumour- Don Maloney at the Rangers game tonight.

Old
02-19-2009, 08:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
The other guy is most likely Frank Effinger who joined Maloney in Phoenix last summer after two seasons as a pro scout with the Rangers.Maloney hired Effinger away from Minny in summer of 2006 for the Rangers.The Maloney brothers and Effinger are long time friends.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:10 AM
SaintB*

Maloney is offering up Howler the team mascot for Orr.

Howler is a much better skater and with some time working
with our assistant coaches they can turn him into a Guard Dog.

SaintB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:16 AM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
Do you know who Jokinen is?
That guy who is invisible in the postseason and has never won a playoff series?

irishlaxburger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:17 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
so that leaves glen sather in a very difficult position this trade deadline and offseason. he's watching his big offseason acquisitions from last year and the years past blow up in his face. so what does he do? trade for a defender and stick with the offense he has, or trade for a sniper and stick with the defense he has? both is unlikely and i odnt htink glen would be willing to part w/ too many young players to make them happen.
Excellent post ken. This is a painful situation to be in and here is where Glen has to evaluate his youth and long term goals. Coming up on restricted free agency next year with their current salary (some are approximate):

Zherdev (2.5 mil)
Prucha (1.6)
Korpikoski (1.1)
Sjostrom (.8)
Dubinsky (.65)
Dawes (.58)
Callahan (.58)
Reitz (.5)

Glen also needs to consider Staal and Girardi are restrcited free agents after the 2009-10 season.

Now I want to make it clear that I do not wish to see some of the above players gone. However, dealing with the current cap situation and assuming that Drury, Gomez, and Redden are untradeable. Sather has to think about prioritizing who, of the above players are going to be signed and if (FOR EXAMPLE, AND AGAIN NOT SOMETHING I WANT TO DO) he thinks that Dubinsky, Callahan, or Zheredev are going to be tough to sign, he may trade one of these players. The 3 I just mentioned and Lauri Korpikoski are, I would think, attractive to GMs. I see a lot of trade proposals including Voros, Dawes and Prucha and I just don't see those guys as valuable.

I think the deadline, for the Rangers, will be pretty quiet but we'll see.

drewcon40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 08:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I am not worried about Slats dealing with Don.When has Don made a good trade as a GM which covers his Islanders days?Even the Ollie trade with FLA which looked like a heist at the time is a push at best for PHX.Pierre Turgeon and Vlad Malakhov for Mathieu Schneider and Kirk Muller who didn't want to play on LI.He picked up Ilya Bryzgalov on waivers.Those are Mike Barnett's players pn PHX except for a handful.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
That guy who is invisible in the postseason and has never won a playoff series?
actually Jokinen has never made it to the playoffs

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Excellent post ken. This is a painful situation to be in and here is where Glen has to evaluate his youth and long term goals. Coming up on restricted free agency next year with their current salary (some are approximate):

Zherdev (2.5 mil)
Prucha (1.6)
Korpikoski (1.1)
Sjostrom (.8)
Dubinsky (.65)
Dawes (.58)
Callahan (.58)
Reitz (.5)

Glen also needs to consider Staal and Girardi are restrcited free agents after the 2009-10 season.

Now I want to make it clear that I do not wish to see some of the above players gone. However, dealing with the current cap situation and assuming that Drury, Gomez, and Redden are untradeable. Sather has to think about prioritizing who, of the above players are going to be signed and if (FOR EXAMPLE, AND AGAIN NOT SOMETHING I WANT TO DO) he thinks that Dubinsky, Callahan, or Zheredev are going to be tough to sign, he may trade one of these players. The 3 I just mentioned and Lauri Korpikoski are, I would think, attractive to GMs. I see a lot of trade proposals including Voros, Dawes and Prucha and I just don't see those guys as valuable.

The reason I think it's a good idea to trade for Jokinen for Gomez + is because not only is he a big body and a legit goal scorer, but because he carries a two million dollar cap hit LESS at year. And his contract expires after next year, leaving the Rangers with 9.5 million dollars(including Naslunds) off the book to resign Staal/Girardi AND maybe even take a run at Kovalchuk.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
The reason I think it's a good idea to trade for Jokinen for Gomez + is because not only is he a big body and a legit goal scorer, but because he carries a two million dollar cap hit LESS at year. And his contract expires after next year, leaving the Rangers with 9.5 million dollars(including Naslunds) off the book to resign Staal/Girardi AND maybe even take a run at Kovalchuk.
And that is the exact reason why Phoenix would think a Jokinen for Gomez swap would be a terrible idea.

I dont understand how a large number of people speculate huge deals going down every single time there is a scout/opposing GM in attendance. Brooks speculated that they might be talking about a Prucha for David Hale swap. That seems much more likely.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:11 AM
FutureGM97

http://http://www.spectorshockey.net...cles&Itemid=55this is from spector

Quote:
Larry Brooks reports Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney has been bird-dogging the Rangers for a spell. Brooks wonders if Maloney might be interested in Rangers winger Petr Prucha or if the Rangers are interested in Coyotes defenseman David Hale.
if the Rangers do go for Hale for Prucha....oh sweet lord. Ranger fans will eat him alive. His nickname is David Fale....

Old
02-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
And that is the exact reason why Phoenix would think a Jokinen for Gomez swap would be a terrible idea.

I dont understand how a large number of people speculate huge deals going down every single time there is a scout/opposing GM in attendance. Brooks speculated that they might be talking about a Prucha for David Hale swap. That seems much more likely.

Everyone knows that the Gomez-Jokinen deal wouldn't happen - the whole point of these boards is just to have a little fun with it and see how to improve the team now and in the future. Like you said, it will probably for either prucha or dawes.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:24 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
http://http://www.spectorshockey.net...cles&Itemid=55this is from spector

if the Rangers do go for Hale for Prucha....oh sweet lord. Ranger fans will eat him alive. His nickname is David Fale....
If we acquire another defenseman then I'm done with this team for the rest of the season because management clearly would be showing with facts that they dont know what they're doing..

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:32 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
He's acually right, Jokinen is pretty overrated... besides, I see Anisimov being the same type of player.

BobMarleyNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:38 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Phoenix is hurting financial and I can't see them taking on salary which rules out Gomez or any of the other big contracts.

On the other hand; Naslund, Prucha, and Reitz for Jokinen and Sauer could save them several million and could work for both teams. The Rangers would then, probably, have to move someone in the offseason to make room in their cap for next season.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:40 AM
FutureGM97

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Phoenix is hurting financial and I can't see them taking on salary which rules out Gomez or any of the other big contracts.

On the other hand; Naslund, Prucha, and Reitz for Jokinen and Sauer could save them several million and could work for both teams. The Rangers would then, probably, have to move someone in the offseason to make room in their cap for next season.
no thanks...sauer has been the steal of the 08 FA crop..

Old
02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Jakeman

Quote:

Phoenix is at the salary floor right now, so if they trade Morris,Olli or Jokinen they will need to take on salary, that's why Maloney wants a hockey deal. Picks and prospects will put them way under the salary floor.

Think Prucha or Naslund or Gomez to help even things out salary wise. The coyotes need to take salary back.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
If we acquire another defenseman then I'm done with this team for the rest of the season because management clearly would be showing with facts that they dont know what they're doing..
Well, lets see...Theres no snipers in the market, so that pipedream has to die rather quickly.

Then theres the fact that Mara is out with an injury, Erik Reitz should be a 7th defenseman, Dmitri Kalinen is coming off an injury and has struggled for most of the year, and Wade Redden has seemingly lost all interest in playing the sport. If anything, it'd finally give Renney the opportunity to sit an underperforming d-man.

Old
02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Jakeman

Quote:

Sauer signed a three year deal and has been really good for the yotes, they won't deal him.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:54 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Well, lets see...Theres no snipers in the market, so that pipedream has to die rather quickly.

Then theres the fact that Mara is out with an injury, Erik Reitz should be a 7th defenseman, Dmitri Kalinen is coming off an injury and has struggled for most of the year, and Wade Redden has seemingly lost all interest in playing the sport. If anything, it'd finally give Renney the opportunity to sit an underperforming d-man.
Renney isnt going to sit Redden

Maybe there are no snipers out there but we should be looking for whatever offense is out there. Not another defenseman

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Renney isnt going to sit Redden

Maybe there are no snipers out there but we should be looking for whatever offense is out there. Not another defenseman
Sather is going to pluck Avery off re-entry waivers and pray. He'll probably also add a ****** 6th defenseman like Hale.

These are the moves that can be made thanks to the rare double whammy of having a team thats severely lacking talent AND being in cap hell.

Old
02-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
I like the idea of Jokinen on this club as well. Not sur ethat he is a bonafide 1st line center, but I think he is alot of wehat the current team doesn't have in the top 6. Big body, can play a physical game. Pretty good hands...but one other thing stands out here. He's a fin, and I wouldn't mind seeing what he and Lauri Korpikoski can do if paired together. That line would have a lot of grit to it.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:05 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Phoenix is at the salary floor right now, so if they trade Morris,Olli or Jokinen they will need to take on salary, that's why Maloney wants a hockey deal. Picks and prospects will put them way under the salary floor.

Think Prucha or Naslund or Gomez to help even things out salary wise. The coyotes need to take salary back.
Naslund has a 4 million cap hit but only costs 3. He's the perfect contract for a team who needs to make the cap minimum and save themselves money. The salary difference of the combined players would be negligible for this season and slightly less next. Though the savings would still be significant, next season with Naslund do to get 3 million compared to Jokinen's 5.5.

Deals late in the season have less of an impact on your annual, average, salary cap. If they were above it for most of the year, they could theoretically go below it for the remainder of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Sauer signed a three year deal and has been really good for the yotes, they won't deal him.
Absolutely true, but, if you don't have the money, you do what you must. I've always thought Sauer was under rated as a defensive defenseman and love the idea of seeing him on the Rangers, maybe he could help with the development of another young defenseman in their system? Then again, maybe Maloney is thinking the same thing and a Sauer goes the other way instead. With MDZ, Sangs, and Kundratek, the Rangers could probably let the defensive prospect go.

Naslund & Sauer for Jokinen would accomplish much the same monetary savings and could still benefit both teams. I believe Maloney was at the draft table when Michael was chosen.

Old
02-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Don't forget that Mike Barnett, Slats' senior advisor was the Yotes GM for 6 years.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:13 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I like the idea of Jokinen on this club as well. Not sur ethat he is a bonafide 1st line center, but I think he is alot of wehat the current team doesn't have in the top 6. Big body, can play a physical game. Pretty good hands...but one other thing stands out here. He's a fin, and I wouldn't mind seeing what he and Lauri Korpikoski can do if paired together. That line would have a lot of grit to it.
Renney has said that the team needs to get bigger and stronger and Jokinen is both of those things. I think everyone who has watched the Rangers play have stated how they lack a legit goal scorer and with 111 goals over the past 3 seasons, he fits that shoe too.

Jokinen is very similar to Sundin and a good fit for this team.

Old
02-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post

Zherdev (2.5 mil)
Prucha (1.6)
Korpikoski (1.1)
Sjostrom (.8)
Dubinsky (.65)
Dawes (.58)
Callahan (.58)
Reitz (.5)

yea i think you are right. i dont think we see a major deal from the rangers. not many teams will be willing to take on 7.5 million dollars especially when they are in a financial bind and are not even guaranteed a playoff spot. i just really want to see lecavier or kovalchuk on the rangers this year so that zherdev actually has someone to pass to that can score. hey you never know, we get a big time goal scorer, we get avery, and then we'll be in the same type of position we were in last year w/ jagr which wasnt bad at all. but i just cant see sather trading all these chips from the rangers to land one of hte big names this year. we'll see how it works out, still 2 weeks left.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:15 AM
beastly115

Jokinen? I would trade Gomez and a pick or lesser prospect but not much more than that.

Living in Florida, I've seen Jokinen quite a bit. He's not what we need but he's a small step up from Gomez.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote