HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tlb-nyr

Old
02-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Tlb-nyr

Quote:
The Lightning announced this afternoon that both Paul Ranger and Andrej Meszaros - the No. 1 and No. 2 defensemen on the depth chart - will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery on March 3.

Each player will be operated on by James Andrews in Birmingham, Alabama, to repair labrum tears in their left shoulders. Dr. Andrews performed a similar surgery on captain Vinny Lecavalier and Ranger last year, although Rangerís procedure was on the right shoulder last April. The recovery time is expected to take six months, which means both should be ready for the start of training camp in September.
Ok, So With those two defenseman hurt this came to mind I was wondering if the TBL would let their team get destroyed game in and game out with little to no defense or if they would trade to bring in another defenseman.

Over the past couple months Redden has improved his play greatly. He is no longer playing like a
1-2 million dollar player but more like a 4 million dollar player so his value has increased since then although most people's perception of him probably hasn't changed, I am hoping the GM's have.

That being the case I was wondering if Tampa would do this trade.

To TBL;
Wade Redden

To NYR;
3rd round pick

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:09 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
can't see TB committing to take on Redden's salary for long term. I'm not exactly sure what his salary is and how many years are left, but I would guess it would leave TB in a bind come next year. If anything they'll look for cheaper alternative IMO.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:11 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I was wondering if the TBL would let their team get destroyed game in and game out with little to no defense
If they tank, they still don't have a first but their 2nd becomes that much closer to being a first.

I'm sure many Ottawa fans celebrated on this news.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

LOL

Tampa is Dunzo for this season. Why would take Redden? Plus Sather , for the millionth time, is NOT going to trade Wade Redden. Its not going to happen unless Redden came to him and BEGGED to be traded. And even then he's going to get more than a 3rd rounder

Wade Redden = a 3rd round pick ?

The guys had a rough year. But its WAAAAAAAAY to soon to call him a bust on Broadway.

02-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Jake0617

Send a message via AIM to Jake0617
If they ever did (doubt they would), it certainly wouldn't be this season and for two reasons. TB is nowhere near the playoffs so for them to take on even the prorated amount at this juncture is ludicrous. Secondly, as bad as we are, the Rangers are still in the playoff chase so in Sather's eyes the signing isn't/wasn't a mistake. Even so, Sather doesn't admit mistakes and certainly not within the first year.

Jake0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
LOL

Tampa is Dunzo for this season. Why would take Redden? Plus Sather , for the millionth time, is NOT going to trade Wade Redden. Its not going to happen unless Redden came to him and BEGGED to be traded. And even then he's going to get more than a 3rd rounder

Wade Redden = a 3rd round pick ?

The guys had a rough year. But its WAAAAAAAAY to soon to call him a bust on Broadway.
I'd dump Redden for free. Within the next two years Rangers have to give hefty raises to Zherdev, Dubinsky, and Staal.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I'd dump Redden for free. Within the next two years Rangers have to give hefty raises to Zherdev, Dubinsky, and Staal.

Free?

Too bad it doesnt work that way in real life.

You don't know if Z even wants to stay here? What if Dubi goes down with an injury?

What if, OMG, Wade Redden is REALLY good next year?

You sign a guy to big contract and he has an off year coming in does not equal BUST.

These guys are human, not pixels in a video game

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:23 PM
GAGLine

Tampa isn't going to give up anything to get an overpaid player for the last 24 games of the season. They will fill those spots with kids from their system.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:24 PM
peanutvendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
If they tank, they still don't have a first but their 2nd becomes that much closer to being a first.

I'm sure many Ottawa fans celebrated on this news.
until they realized they made the same mistake you did, and mistook "SJS 1st 2009" to mean "tampa bay lightnings 1st round pick in 2009".

not going to happen. getting rid of that contract is a pipedream. we need quality dmen, not mediocre dmen that hog cap space for a very long time.

peanutvendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:

What if, OMG, Wade Redden is REALLY good next year?

You sign a guy to big contract and he has an off year coming in does not equal BUST.

These guys are human, not pixels in a video game
Problem is that Redden has been sliding consistently downwards for over a year now. That being said, I still like Redden and hope he gets his game turned around.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He'll be better.

The guy just got married, moved to NYC, Left the team and team mates he played 10 years with, signed a big deal...

He's human...thats a lot of change for one guy to handle. You have to be conscious that these guys are living lives outside the rink.

We are all guilty of thinking the players are machines. They are men. On skates

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Take the third and turn it to a 9th in 2087

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:48 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

no thanks. If your gonna trade redden, something is goning to have to come back in return to the rangers. Redden wouldn't make that much of a difference to our team any way though. We are also playing with our 3rd and 4th string goalies. Id rather see what we have for next year right now especially with a lot of our young guys. I would still rather save the money for a free agent.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 02-20-2009 at 02:53 PM.
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Okposofan21

the rangers are not moving one of the three big contracts they have because no team will touch them. hate to break it to ya!

Okposofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 02:58 PM
canuckfan86

I wasent sure but i thought Wade Redden was worth more the just a 3rd round pick
Im sure Rangers could get a prospect and a pick for him at least from a team thats gunna make the playoffs

canuckfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
As we have nothing to play for I rather see our young players get some icetime, doesn't make sense to take a hefty contract for games that doesn't mean anything.

02-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Only way rangers are going to get rid of redden is if he flees to the KHL.

No one wants him not even hartford wants him affectin the youth defenceman that have potential

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutvendor View Post
until they realized they made the same mistake you did, and mistook "SJS 1st 2009" to mean "tampa bay lightnings 1st round pick in 2009".
Doh...my bad!

I've been doing that a lot lately.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
He'll be better.

The guy just got married, moved to NYC, Left the team and team mates he played 10 years with, signed a big deal...

He's human...thats a lot of change for one guy to handle. You have to be conscious that these guys are living lives outside the rink.

We are all guilty of thinking the players are machines. They are men. On skates
Wow, I love the double talk around here. When we signed him, all of the talk was how the change in scenery would be what fixed his game. Obviously it didn't, so now the new line is that it's because of the change in scenery that he's struggling.

He left the team that didn't want him back because he'd been terrible for two seasons. And now, despite going to a new team, he's still pretty bad. He's a third-pairing defenseman, nothing more, with the league's worst contract.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

How about deal worked around Rosi and Prospal?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote