HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1310 The Ticket - BAD Radio: Steve Ott Interview (Update: Ott Gets an "A")

Old
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
1310 The Ticket - BAD Radio: Steve Ott Interview (Update: Ott Gets an "A")

Click on the link for the 2 audio segments. They're pretty long (11:15 and 14:26).

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...o/1020-2008-09

Phenomenal interview, this made me like Ott even more.

Highlights:
  • Sean Avery was fine as a teammate, but he made the locker room weird/awkward.
  • Ott was sensitive at first to the Avery signing. He was not going to let Avery take his role away, and he came into camp focused and ready to challenge him.
  • Ott respects Carcillo (Phoenix).
  • Ott does not like Burrows (Vancouver). He said something along the lines that he didn't like that French visor thing slash won't fight.
  • Ott hates Jarkko Ruutu (Ottawa). He called him a loser, and said he hates playing with nerds on the ice.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Click on the link for the 2 audio segments. They're pretty long (11:15 and 14:26).

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...o/1020-2008-09

Phenomenal interview, this made me like Ott even more.

Highlights:
  • Sean Avery was fine as a teammate, but he made the locker room weird/awkward.
  • Ott was sensitive at first to the Avery signing. He was not going to let Avery take his role away, and he came into camp focused and ready to challenge him.
  • Ott respects Carcillo (Phoenix).
  • Ott does not like Burrows (Vancouver). He said something along the lines that he didn't like that French visor thing slash won't fight.
  • Ott hates Jarkko Ruutu (Ottawa). He called him a loser, and said he hates playing with nerds on the ice.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:00 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

that is exciting stuff

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:08 AM
BigG44

This is pretty surprising:

Quote:
“You know the type of player that he is going in. There’s nobody that does it better than Steve Ott. He’s a sharp guy. He picks his spots and he never takes a bad penalty and is a very disciplined guy. He’s an effective player.”

Edmonton coach Craig MacTavish
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...a/1027-2008-09

Old
02-20-2009, 08:18 AM
BigG44

I know some people felt that Lehtinen deserved the "A", but I think this was a good move by the Stars. Everything the team has done since that glorious day Les Jackson took power has been to promote young players.

Lehtinen is on the last leg of his career, and Dallas already has one "lead by example" captain in Modano. With Ott, they're getting a vocal guy that can provide energy to the team. The letter will probably make him even more comfortable to speak up.

Anyway, Ott was the best choice IMO.

Old
02-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Eh. Jere has been and still continues to be our best defensive player. Definitely at least think they should rotate.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Dr GLU

I don't think Jere wants an 'A'. Doesn't seem his style at all.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

If that's the case (which it a very well may be cause I 100% agree with you that's just not him), I'm fine with Otter getting the A.

Really does seem to be the loner type. Thank God he's on our team still though.

Old
02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
If that's the case (which it a very well may be cause I 100% agree with you that's just not him), I'm fine with Otter getting the A.

Really does seem to be the loner type. Thank God he's on our team still though.
I don't think Jere's a loner so much as that he'd rather be shot to death than speak publicly and as a quiet guy he's not the type to be rah, rah in the dressing room. It's just not who he is. I have a hard time picturing him arguing with a ref or speaking up when things are bad, so he's not an ideal guy for alternate captain. Simple as that.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:59 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I don't think Jere's a loner so much as that he'd rather be shot to death than speak publicly and as a quiet guy he's not the type to be rah, rah in the dressing room. It's just not who he is. I have a hard time picturing him arguing with a ref or speaking up when things are bad, so he's not an ideal guy for alternate captain. Simple as that.
yea, I agree. It still seems so weird that he is a slayer fan here is a video from a couple year back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu2CqExC_bE

Old
02-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Loner as in the quiet type I guess I should've said.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:39 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
So Ott talks about how he doesn't respect Burrows because he won't fight -- does this mean that Ott intends to resume fighting once his hand has healed and his protective glove comes off?

If so, does this make him a less effective player once again? Do you care about him backing up his play on the ice?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Jere is also very humble, he's deflective when people try to compliment him. He may not have a letter on his sweater, but he is still very much a leader of this team.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
So Ott talks about how he doesn't respect Burrows because he won't fight -- does this mean that Ott intends to resume fighting once his hand has healed and his protective glove comes off?

If so, does this make him a less effective player once again? Do you care about him backing up his play on the ice?
I hope not, he is 10x more effective now without fighting than he ever was with it.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:52 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Maybe he has learned from all of this and will start being very selective about when he fights. I don't think there's much of a question about whether he will fight or not. Hell even in the interview he said it is one of his favorite parts of the game.

Maybe he'll break his hand again and get even better.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Chad_

Ott has been 'selective' about when he fights. He's not known as a guy who will drop them under any circumstance, contrary to what he says. He's well known to duck a fight, the same thing he condemns Burrows and Ruutu for.

In other interviews Ott claims he's always fought when an opponent has asked and that he doesn't like the players who don't, but how many times in the past have we seen opposing players wanting to fight Ott and Ott going the other way? I don't blame him for not dropping the gloves every single time he's asked, it would be counter-productive to his goal and he wouldn't see much ice time, but I'm just a little sick of him acting like he's not of the same stripe as those that stir the pot and duck a fight.

Do I want him to resume fighting when his hand is healed? No. He's not a good fighter and I'd take a Lehtinen face wash per game for two minutes of power play time.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote