HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury

Old
02-19-2009, 10:10 AM
gardenfaithful44

vCash: 500
Chris Drury

If you take away his stats from last nights game. After he made those comments about how he needs to step it up and start contributing after the Flyer game, he has played excellent. I thought he played a good game in St. Louis and then last night yet another good game. I like him on the point on the PP. Granted he needs to hit the net, but hes getting shots, hes getting to the net, hes doing the things he did in Buffalo. I'm not saying all is right and that this team is a cup contender. But the fact that Drury is starting is starting to look like his old self, maybe he'll light under fire under the others.

gardenfaithful44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Why did it take so long though?

Besides, its only 2 games. Same goes for Gomez. How come he cant skate like that everynight?

All this means nothing to the team unless its consistent, like Callahans game.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I've been saying it for a long time...Drury needs to be put on the point on the PP just like he was in Buffalo

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:34 AM
czechmate25

Drury is a 2nd or 3rd line support player. He lacks the ability to be the go to guy....the same with Gomez. End of story.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThirdEye

Drury has consistently looked good on the point when he's got the chance. I can't imagine why Renney never puts him there. As long as he's here he should be playing there, period.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fletch

you're talking about two games - against two teams that aren't so great. I'm not too impressed, to be honest. I remember posting something about the Rangers and Voros in mid-November and the comment was come back to talk to me at the 50 game mark. In this case, talk to me after the Rangers clinch a playoff spot or are out of it and then we can talk about how Drury did after he manned-up. That's the time to measure how effective his comments were and what he did post-comments.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Fletch

ThirdEye...

Drury looked horrible on the point last season - that's probably why Renney resists. The real unfortunate thing is that Drury is best-served on the left side as a forward, near the net where he can look for junk. He doesn't have the shot to be on the point, but can get off shots from in-close which makes him valuable in front of the net where things get tight. That's where I want to see him for the rest of the season,not sacraficed on the point because this team lacks competent point guys.

Old
02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
ThirdEye

He hasn't scored much at all from around the net this season though. His timing has been off by a lot. Most of his goals have been from one-timers.

I don't think he was playing in front of the net in Buffalo and still somehow scored 37 goals (at least that's what I was told). Really though, I'd be happy if he found ANY kind of consistency anywhere. He looks lost out there way too often

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 10:54 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

The thing with Drury this year though is that the puck to him is like a grenade.

He NEVER carries the puck. Ever. He gets it and moves it. He has no confidence with the puck and it leads to turnovers and bad passes. On many occasions, hes had time to look up, skate to an open area and draw defenders to him to make a play but he just doesnt do it. Especially in the defensive and neutral zones.

Thats a big reason why his point production is down. Granted, hes not that type of player. In Buffalo he had guys feeding him the puck. But you have to learn to adapt. Im not talking about him Gomez rushing the puck or dangling like Zherdev, no no... Im just saying holding onto it for 2-3 SECONDS.

He has the puck on his stick and looks to move it instantly. Thats the sign of very low confidence in my book.

Old
02-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
The thing with Drury this year though is that the puck to him is like a grenade.

He NEVER carries the puck. Ever. He gets it and moves it. He has no confidence with the puck and it leads to turnovers and bad passes. On many occasions, hes had time to look up, skate to an open area and draw defenders to him to make a play but he just doesnt do it. Especially in the defensive and neutral zones.

Thats a big reason why his point production is down. Granted, hes not that type of player. In Buffalo he had guys feeding him the puck. But you have to learn to adapt. Im not talking about him Gomez rushing the puck or dangling like Zherdev, no no... Im just saying holding onto it for 2-3 SECONDS.

He has the puck on his stick and looks to move it instantly. Thats the sign of very low confidence in my book.
I agree with this completely.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Fletch

I agree there, ThirdEye, however...

the issue is the puck hasn't really been around there much either, which is why I advocate Zherdev on Gomez's right and not Naslund (who's more of a goal scorer). If you're parked in front of the net, or to the side, you ain't scoring much if the puck doesn't come near you enough.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:01 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

To add to what Fletch is saying...

The problem im seeing with Zherdev though is that he expects things to happen that just dont or cant be done.

He overskates the net and curls, he expects guys to win the puck and move it around to him (as he skates by them) instead of engaging in the play to get the puck in the Rangers possession. Its almost as if he expects other forwards to work out of situations that he normally would when he should realize that he needs to support his linemates instead of drifting to open ice for a perfect thread-the needle pass.

Last night there was a perfect example when a linemate came down (Dubinsky?) and had a shot on net with two defenders around him, but instead of going right to the net for a rebound he drifted off to more towards the sideboards in open ice to receive what he thought could be an open netter IF a perfect or lucky bounce/deflection came his way. If he was on top of the net, following his own player and the play he would have picked up the rebound and buried a goal no questions asked. Im talking a difference of like 5-10 feet.

His intentions are good, but hes a player that if he goes to the net and sticks there, with his hands he could score a lot more goals. He likes to move and get into the open ice a little too much without the puck. His creativity limits him in ways that are hard to notice.

Old
02-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Drury is a 2nd or 3rd line support player. He lacks the ability to be the go to guy....the same with Gomez. End of story.
I dont know about Gomez czech. I think you would agree, the dropoff in Gomez;s play is due largely to the fact that he is now "the guy" and teams focus on shutting him down rather than Jagr. Score a lot or not season by season, Jagr commanded attention every shift. Now Gomez is facing a similar problem.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:04 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Laziness kills this team more than anything. Same as during the "dark years." I hope that they start to pick up that "battle level" every game. It's the only way this team makes a 2nd half push. It it takes Sean Avery to make sure that these guys do it every game so be it. If it takes the fans booing Gomez & Drury or chanting "Fire Renney" to get the message through their heads that they've been playing like crap, so let it be done.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Laziness kills this team more than anything. Same as during the "dark years." I hope that they start to pick up that "battle level" every game. It's the only way this team makes a 2nd half push. It it takes Sean Avery to make sure that these guys do it every game so be it. If it takes the fans booing Gomez & Drury or chanting "Fire Renney" to get the message through their heads that they've been playing like crap, so let it be done.
Im sick and tired of people saying this. Besides a couple of black eyes, this team works hard the majority of the time.

You obviously did not pay much attention to the "Dark Years" when players with tons of more talent were absolutely dogging it out there every single night.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
crabcz

They always look good against Islanders. Everyone looks like a SC contender against them. He needs to show the same thing against teams that actually matter. Buffalo would be a good start.

crabcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
titans04

He's been nothing short of dreadful and disappointing. Big deal he played a two decent games in a row. Definately what we're looking for in a high dollar captain.

titans04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:34 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im sick and tired of people saying this. Besides a couple of black eyes, this team works hard the majority of the time.

You obviously did not pay much attention to the "Dark Years" when players with tons of more talent were absolutely dogging it out there every single night.
There are a few players who work hard every night, but the team as a whole does not put forth a consistent effort night in and night out. Last night was the first time in a long time that Gomez was actually backchecking, playing well defensively, and looked like he was a man on a mission. He has taken a lot of nights off this year.

Dubinsky, Cally, Prucha, Lundqvist, Mara, & Staal are a few guys I noticed that play hard every night. Although Dubinsky hasn't been scoring, he's been flying lately. The fourth line plays hard, they fight for every puck.

The veterans of this team, Redden, Drury, Gomez, & Naslund, need to bring their A-game each night for this team to win. Just as the team lived and died with Jagr's performance in previous years, the same applies to the leaders of this year's team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

The problem is Drury and Gomez are being paid like superstars and they aren't even stars. Sather thought it would be OK to let their 2 superstars go away. Smart move.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:55 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Guys he's done this all season. He performs in spurts and then disappears.

I like the way he played but he was again average on faceoffs and made silly plays on the puck leading to turnovers and odd-man rushes

It was a must win and Drury came up big, so that's a good sign. Just a little consistency would be nice

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote