HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antropov price a 1st rounder

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
  #26
Krylian
Registered User
 
Krylian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
If teams don't want to pay Burke's asking price for Antropov, he can return by saying: "Yeah thats OK, I guess you can just make an offer to the other 6'6 strong, skilled players under 30 years old that are available for your playoff run."
...and then they can say...ok....keep Antropov and don't trade him for a 2nd...then let him walk on July 1st for nothing cause you and everyone else knows that he's not part of the future in Toronto.

....and they'd be right.

Krylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:37 PM
  #27
TheProspector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
...and then they can say...ok....keep Antropov and don't trade him for a 2nd...then let him walk on July 1st for nothing cause you and everyone else knows that he's not part of the future in Toronto.

....and they'd be right.
I would almost rather let him go to free agency (and try to sign him) than get ripped off.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:45 PM
  #28
Krylian
Registered User
 
Krylian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
I would almost rather let him go to free agency (and try to sign him) than get ripped off.
Do you really feel that Antropov is the type of player that the Leaf should be building with? I don't.

And I don't think a 2nd rounder is getting ripped off at all. This is an exceptionally deep draft and there will be some very good players in the 2nd round. Besides, who's to say you can't deal him, get something in return, and then re-sign him anyway....a la Keith Tkachuk.

Krylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:47 PM
  #29
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
...and then they can say...ok....keep Antropov and don't trade him for a 2nd...then let him walk on July 1st for nothing cause you and everyone else knows that he's not part of the future in Toronto.

....and they'd be right.
If there were only two teams in the league this would be the case. When all the teams start bidding there's no leverage for the buyer.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:48 PM
  #30
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 60,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSE View Post
You always have to set your price high because GM's will always try to bargain with you, no need to be honest about what you want.
Like when your selling anything you start high and then work down from there to get a completed transaction.

It would be silly for Burke to ask for a 2nd because then he can't go up to a 1st rounder once the talks begin .. So he has room to move now and unless a team meets his price he is likely to move down to a 2nd rounder and perhaps a prospect.

On TSN they recently had their trade deadline preview show and Bob McKenzie and the other talking heads claimed there was not a lot of interest in Antropov and that is what got Burke going public on Nik to try and generate more interest.. To Nik's credit since that 16 game scoreless drought he has been more productive and effective.

Burke feeling Antropov hasn't earned a new contract from the Leafs isn't really a strong position from a trade standpoint as not even the Leafs feel he is a part of the future.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
  #31
Chea*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,131
vCash: 500
Just keep your fingers crossed folks. Let's hope Burke burns some really desperate GMs.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:57 PM
  #32
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 29,650
vCash: 500
This is to be expected.

This is what a player of Antropov's calibre is worth.

A very good 2nd liner / borderline 1st liner is worth a 1st round pick, every time.

He doesn't magically become devalued just because he's a leaf.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:59 PM
  #33
tml145
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
why are late first rounders so overrated

antropv will get a first from a team with a
late first rounder

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:01 PM
  #34
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,433
vCash: 500
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...urke-qna_N.htm

Quote:
Burke: A prospect is a draft pick that is a year or two along. To me, a prospect is always better than a pick if they are of comparable value. If you have a prospect that is ready to play, that can be more valuable than a first-rounder because you have to wait two or three years to see them. But you also have to weigh other factors. It can make a difference if you are getting a prospect who was a low first round pick and you are comparing that to a high first round pick. But I will look at anything that makes us better right away or younger.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
  #35
Number13
Registered User
 
Number13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Burke feeling Antropov hasn't earned a new contract from the Leafs isn't really a strong position from a trade standpoint as not even the Leafs feel he is a part of the future.
Burke was just trying to light a fire under Antropov. There is no way team's are going to gauge Antropov's value based on one comment Burke made. If a team tries to use Burke's comment as leverage, Burke will laugh and hang up.

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
  #36
TheProspector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
Do you really feel that Antropov is the type of player that the Leaf should be building with? I don't.

And I don't think a 2nd rounder is getting ripped off at all. This is an exceptionally deep draft and there will be some very good players in the 2nd round. Besides, who's to say you can't deal him, get something in return, and then re-sign him anyway....a la Keith Tkachuk.
A 2nd rounder for Antropov is getting ripped off. The chance a 2nd rounder peaks where Antropov is now (in all areas of the game) is very low.

I think Antropov is a great winger to have around. He's proven that he doesn't need Sundin to score and can carry a 2nd scoring line on his own. I'd like to see Poni / Stajan / Antropov become our 2nd line.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:16 PM
  #37
Snipeshow
Registered User
 
Snipeshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,675
vCash: 500
I think the Pens should be after Poni and Antropov as a package and put Crosby in the middle.

They both are great wingers together, can put the puck in the net and use their size to protect the puck well, and it's Crosby. They can score and he can set them up. I think it's a great fit.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:24 PM
  #38
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 29,650
vCash: 500
I agree they should be after both of them - but I'm not sure we should be making package deals. It might not be the best way to get maximum returns.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:33 PM
  #39
Cappo40*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,764
vCash: 500
I wonder if Burke would lie...

EG..

Florida calls him up interested in Antro and offer a 2nd plus prospect(s)..
Carolona calls him up also interested in Antro and offer a 2nd plus prospect(s), and answers back, I was already offered a 1st and a prospect, will you match that?..


I might be a good GM

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:38 PM
  #40
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
I don't see why we wouldn't get a 1st round pick for Antropov. Tkachuk got a bunch of picks back (1st, 2nd, 3rd) when he was traded to Atlanta, Doug Weight was traded for 1st, 4th, 4th and some garbage players, Mark Recchi was traded for a prospect, 2nd round pick and some other xy player, Sergei Samsonov was traded for roster player, 2nd round pick and a prospect, Bill Guerin was traded for roster player, prospect and 1st round pick. So i don't see a single reason why we wouldn't get 1st round pick back, at least. And if Burke is smart, also a conditional pick if he re-signs.
So you have been watching Antropov for a few seasons right? He is not worth a first rounder, a second ok but not much more. I can see him going to the west for a Second or stay in the east for a first. He would be a second line center on most teams or even a third line center but he really does not have the speed to check a number one center so that is doubtful.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:40 PM
  #41
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
I think the Pens should be after Poni and Antropov as a package and put Crosby in the middle.

They both are great wingers together, can put the puck in the net and use their size to protect the puck well, and it's Crosby. They can score and he can set them up. I think it's a great fit.
Good but not great, they have played with Sundin and done squat so no way they are great wingers together or not. Good though

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
  #42
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
So you have been watching Antropov for a few seasons right? He is not worth a first rounder, a second ok but not much more. I can see him going to the west for a Second or stay in the east for a first. He would be a second line center on most teams or even a third line center but he really does not have the speed to check a number one center so that is doubtful.
Antro is MUCH better as a winger. I doubt many teams would be looking at him as a center.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:45 PM
  #43
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
This is to be expected.

This is what a player of Antropov's calibre is worth.

A very good 2nd liner / borderline 1st liner is worth a 1st round pick, every time.

He doesn't magically become devalued just because he's a leaf.
Yes he does because, if he is playing on a better team his value to that team is higher because they don't have to trade him, however if the Leafs want to get better they have to trade him so all the other GM's know this therefore making his value a late first rounder or second rounder. ask yourself if you would givve up a top 15 pick in the upcoming draft, which is deep, for a second line center with marginal scoring?

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
  #44
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 29,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Yes he does because, if he is playing on a better team his value to that team is higher because they don't have to trade him, however if the Leafs want to get better they have to trade him so all the other GM's know this therefore making his value a late first rounder or second rounder. ask yourself if you would givve up a top 15 pick in the upcoming draft, which is deep, for a second line center with marginal scoring?
yes.

History shows us clearly that NHL GMs are always wiling to give up a 1st rounder for a player of Nik;s calibre.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:49 PM
  #45
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Yes he does because, if he is playing on a better team his value to that team is higher because they don't have to trade him, however if the Leafs want to get better they have to trade him so all the other GM's know this therefore making his value a late first rounder or second rounder. ask yourself if you would givve up a top 15 pick in the upcoming draft, which is deep, for a second line center with marginal scoring?
Top 15? Who has mentioned anything about the top 15? Antro's an upcoming UFA. You've called him a center a few times now, Antro's a winger for the Leafs who rarely plays Center. He hasn't been a consistent center for some time now.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
  #46
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 29,650
vCash: 500
oh, and habfan1968....Antropov is scoring more than any forward on your team.

If you want to call that "marginal scoring", I guess that tells us a lot about your team.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:13 PM
  #47
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all
 
Squiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
Do you really feel that Antropov is the type of player that the Leaf should be building with? I don't.

And I don't think a 2nd rounder is getting ripped off at all. This is an exceptionally deep draft and there will be some very good players in the 2nd round. Besides, who's to say you can't deal him, get something in return, and then re-sign him anyway....a la Keith Tkachuk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Yes he does because, if he is playing on a better team his value to that team is higher because they don't have to trade him, however if the Leafs want to get better they have to trade him so all the other GM's know this therefore making his value a late first rounder or second rounder. ask yourself if you would givve up a top 15 pick in the upcoming draft, which is deep, for a second line center with marginal scoring?
Not an "exceptionally" deep draft. Top heavy, but not deep. Last year was deep, not as top heavy.

I'd prefer a prospect over a late first for Antro, but it's so hard to speculate on deadline deals, silly stuff happens sometimes.

__________________
bWo: If you don't know, you should know... Buds WORLD Order Constitution
Adj: "Squiffy" - stupefied by a chemical substance (esp. alcohol)

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:14 PM
  #48
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I agree this is the typical process when a bidding war or a player has lots of demand ..

Not sure Antropov is in that high of demand to warrant this process.. If Burke can get a 1st rounder for Ant it would be a good return .. I can see a team more willing to offer a prospect and 2nd rounder myself.

I think Kabs is the only tradable Leaf that is worth a 1st rounder in the package return.
Kubina says hello

If you don't think Kubina will bring back a first then your credibility is shot

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:19 PM
  #49
sda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
So you have been watching Antropov for a few seasons right? He is not worth a first rounder, a second ok but not much more. I can see him going to the west for a Second or stay in the east for a first. He would be a second line center on most teams or even a third line center but he really does not have the speed to check a number one center so that is doubtful.
not hard to know when somebody posts without knowing much about a player. if you don't even know what position a player plays your evaluation is probably not going to be real accurate

sda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:53 PM
  #50
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sda View Post
not hard to know when somebody posts without knowing much about a player. if you don't even know what position a player plays your evaluation is probably not going to be real accurate
My apologies for mistaking him for a center, Stajan is centering that line with Antropov and Ponikarosky(sp?)
I have watched him since he's been with the Leafs and I am not referring or comparing him to anyone on Montreal. He is a marginal scorer at best, his stats clearly show it, and he gets first and second line minutes, he'll top out at around 60-65 points this season, one of his best seasons and he is already 29, is not going to become a faster skater so he is still not worth more than a late first rounder, or a second.
BTW, what would any of you say Antropovs' best playing attribute?


Last edited by habfan1968: 02-19-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add question
habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.