HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Interesting Names Emerging As NHL Deadline Nears

Old
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Pure

vCash: 665
If the Giguere trades Smyth for a salary dump he should be fired on the spot.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:11 PM
grabo84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
Not surprising, seeing as your a Leafs fan.
I don't hate the habs though. If anything I like them. Ottawa is the team I really dislike.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:14 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by avskid View Post
You guys want to talk about kovalev. I'm sure his most memorable moment came in the playoffs in overtime against boston on a certain glen murray breakaway winner?
He then took the team on his shoulders and helped the Habs come back from a 3-1 deficit in the series (with a game-winning assist in game 7).

People can say whatever they want about Kovalev but he is amazing in the playoffs.

This morning Neil Smith (ex GM of NY when Kovalev played there) was interviewed on CKAC and he said that for Kovalev playoffs were more fun than regular season. He said that Kovalev loves hockey so much and doesn't want it to end so he gives it all because winning is the only way to keep playing (in the playoffs).

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Kovalev's been pretty much point per game in the playoffs with the Habs.

29 games
15 goals
13 assists
28 points

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by avskid View Post
You guys want to talk about kovalev. I'm sure his most memorable moment came in the playoffs in overtime against boston on a certain glen murray breakaway winner?
How about his overtime goals that he has scored ? Or, how about he was one of the instrumental players that helped the Rangers win the cup ?

I only want Montréal to hold onto Kovalev for the playoffs. The guy is money there.

If they can get Cole+ for him, then I'd probably accept it. Cole is a guy who can hit, fight and score. He might be able to help turn the momentum in a game with a big hit. Or even his amazing speed.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
This is not the first thing that comes to mind...
If Kovalev isn't on the Rangers 94 team, they don't win the Cup.

It really SHOULD be the first thing that comes to your mind. He's proved it time and time again.

It's fine and dandy for people to spread schematic views like "Kovalev is a lazy russian that floats in the playoffs, Cole is a good old canadian who pays the price in the playoffs" but at some point, reality has to step in.
There aren't too many active player that have played such a key role on a Cup winning team as Kovalev in 94.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
MrBoxOffice

JVR to CLB for one of their goalies. they have so many i can't see at least leclaire getting moved

MrBoxOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
brevard*

Quote:
I agree with you. Still, I think Dreger meant that there weren't any serious offers. In this article he was talking about asking price, so there's a bit of a difference.

Dreger's a guy who you have to take with a grain of salt. He can be very good, but sometimes he writes head scratchingly bad things. Still, he's way ahead of some of the newspaper types in my books - Garrioch, Simmons, etc.
So he is demanding a 1st for Antropov and getting no offers. None of us are GM's here but could the lack of offers have to do with asking price?

I could see a "REAL" top 5 cup contender tossing a 1st (25th to 30th) for Antropov and hoping he can deliver as a 3rd line scorer.
My guess is Burke is holding out hoping one of the more fringe teams is willing to overpay by giving a 1st that would be 20th or before.

I am on record as saying Antropov is "worth" no more than a 2nd but if I am Burke I wait this out. We are seeing injuries everyday, Burke has to be hoping this helps his baits value as the deadline nears.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:04 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Last time Nashville had this many picks in the draft was 2003; 4/7ths of the defensive core was drafted. Weber, Suter, Sulzer, and Klein.

If the Preds sellout and have a top ten pick and 14-16 picks, it could be a phenominal draft.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
So he is demanding a 1st for Antropov and getting no offers. None of us are GM's here but could the lack of offers have to do with asking price?

I could see a "REAL" top 5 cup contender tossing a 1st (25th to 30th) for Antropov and hoping he can deliver as a 3rd line scorer.
My guess is Burke is holding out hoping one of the more fringe teams is willing to overpay by giving a 1st that would be 20th or before.

I am on record as saying Antropov is "worth" no more than a 2nd but if I am Burke I wait this out. We are seeing injuries everyday, Burke has to be hoping this helps his baits value as the deadline nears.
Antropov isn't worth more than a 2nd. This is the trade deadline, so he's more than likely worth a first and probably won't be traded till the end, to see what desperate team that lost on another bidding war comes and throws at him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
john g

the JVR move to me ( a UNH grad and still a follower) would not be a shock. he has not progressed one iota in 2 years, in my mind. far too soft for a big guy and not that super skilled to be a perimeter player. potential yes, but it may not be the dumbest of moves to move him while his stock is highest

john g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

3 posters disparaging Kovalev's playoff resume in the first 15 posts?..

Get a history lesson, kids... Or, even more recently, he's put up a PPG in his last 3 playoff seasons.

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNIC View Post
I would definitely keep Cole over Kovie, Oilers would be taking a big risk by acquiring Kovie, it would create a big buzz though (just because it's "Kovalev")

Trading JVR (who has pretty much had a subpar year) for a goalie does make sense. I can't see Biron carry the flyers deep into the playoffs. The flyers have had goalie problems for a while (Robert Esche and Niittymaki can't be counted on to make the big saves), Lehtinen would make sense as he is an upgrade from the current situation.

so what's different from last year to this year? the playoffs are a whole new game, and up to last year Biron never played in a playoff game but yet he led his team the ECF.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
If Kovalev isn't on the Rangers 94 team, they don't win the Cup.

It really SHOULD be the first thing that comes to your mind. He's proved it time and time again.

It's fine and dandy for people to spread schematic views like "Kovalev is a lazy russian that floats in the playoffs, Cole is a good old canadian who pays the price in the playoffs" but at some point, reality has to step in.
There aren't too many active player that have played such a key role on a Cup winning team as Kovalev in 94.
All right, I was being too clever by saying that, I wasn't trying to start an argument over Kovalev. That said, I still don't think he's guaranteed to perform in the playoffs. He might show up, he might not.

Old
02-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Namso

Kovalev is money in the playoffs. He should get a good return if he gets traded.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:37 PM
JimmyPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
How the hell is Nik Antropov on the list considering the other names listed there there. If Nik Antropov played for Tampa would he been included? If you want to include a Leaf for the sake of being a Leaf why not Kaberle or Kubina, they a hell of alot more interesting then Antropov
Nik Antropov is probably the most undervalued commodity considering he is still relatively young and is on pace for the most points out of all the guys being rumored to get traded! 2.2 million for a guy on pace for more than 60 points... i think thats why hes on the list!!

JimmyPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:42 PM
JimmyPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Antropov isn't worth more than a 2nd. This is the trade deadline, so he's more than likely worth a first and probably won't be traded till the end, to see what desperate team that lost on another bidding war comes and throws at him.
remember hes not underachieving and old ..like sayyyyy a kovalev, hes still young , and hes puting up 60+ points at 2.2 million.. oh yah and unlike a kovalev he actually shows up for games and plays hard!

JimmyPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
sda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPower View Post
Nik Antropov is probably the most undervalued commodity considering he is still relatively young and is on pace for the most points out of all the guys being rumored to get traded! 2.2 million for a guy on pace for more than 60 points... i think thats why hes on the list!!
why wouldn't a team looking for depth at forward be intrested in Antropov. he has produced as much offense as Ryan Smyth and is not locked into a horrible contract like Smyth.

sda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda View Post
why wouldn't a team looking for depth at forward be intrested in Antropov. he has produced as much offense as Ryan Smyth and is not locked into a horrible contract like Smyth.
I think thats what he was saying.

Old
02-19-2009, 01:53 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
If Philly fleeces Atlanta again....I swear, I think Waddel is setting himself up with a job in Philly for when the Atlanta organization finally collapses.

Philly trades Zhitnik and a 1st to Atlanta for Coburn, Hartnell, and Timonen? C'mon, when does the league step in and say enough is enough. Make that deal on any team in the league and they're as good as Philly or better.
I think you're mixing the teams up here.

Old
02-19-2009, 01:57 PM
sda

Quote:
I think thats what he was saying.
I know I was reiforcing his comments. some people said that Jason Blake had the worst contract in the league. now he is actually a better value than Smyth

sda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
n_a_c

'94 playoffs, game 7 against the Devils. Messier called the win and got the hat trick, but Kovalov got the first goal and assisted on all of Messier's. In my memory, his performance that game was awesome. And throughout the 94 playoffs.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Laraque4PM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Who would be willing to take on the 4 years left on Smyth's deal? I'd think that most teams would be REALLY hesitant to take that contract on long term. If he was going to be a UFA - it'd be A LOT easier.

Maybe the Islanders trade for him!
I could actually see the Columbus Blue Jackets going after Smyth.

Laraque4PM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
krantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
If Philly fleeces Atlanta again....I swear, I think Waddel is setting himself up with a job in Philly for when the Atlanta organization finally collapses.

Philly trades Zhitnik and a 1st to Atlanta for Coburn, Hartnell, and Timonen? C'mon, when does the league step in and say enough is enough. Make that deal on any team in the league and they're as good as Philly or better.
Zhitnik, a 2nd in 08 and 2 months of Forsberg got us Coburn, Hartnell, Timonen, Parent, Upshall and Kevin Marshall but it was 4 separate trades with 3 different teams (Atlanta, Washinton and 2 trades with Nashville)

krantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by sda View Post
I know I was reiforcing his comments. some people said that Jason Blake had the worst contract in the league. now he is actually a better value than Smyth
But I think everyone except Leafs fans would agree that Smyth is the better player. Also Smyth does NOT have the worst contract in the league and neither does Blake. Brad Richards with his 7.8 mill cap hit says, Hi

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote